It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 242
<< 239  240  241    243  244  245 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by PopeyesForearm
reply to post by nghtshd

From the pictures they have showed on NHK World and CNN of the aftermath of the #3 explosion it appears that much more than just the top of the building was blown apart. Looks much worse than the #1 reactor building.

The explosin did appear to be much more violent. I haven't seen a good closeup of that building since the explosion.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
7 people missing apparently.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Project-Sign

My question is, why can't they vent that hydrogen to the outside? Seems like trapping it inside the structure is kinda asking for it.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ethancoop
reply to post by Project-Sign

My question is, why can't they vent that hydrogen to the outside? Seems like trapping it inside the structure is kinda asking for it.

They need power to do this, and there is none. Except the small units trying to control the futile amount of seawater flow around the base of the reactor.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ethancoop

Didn't they vent hydrogen several times? Maybe it's building up quicker than they can vent it, who knows. Governments aren't forthcoming with information at the best of times, all the more during situations like this.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

It's the venting that allows the risk of explosion. Not sure how, but have heard the "experts" on CNN and whatnot say that's when it can explode.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I just cannot fathom the logistical nightmare these engineers are going through. Not just the Nuclear, but all of the power and utility companies. This is a hell of alot of weight to ride on your shoulders if you are in charge. My hats off
to all of the folks in Japan struggling through this and to the many engineers and workers who are fighting this catastrophe's effects.

I am saying this as I am about to venture into the metal fabrication world and I cannot stay away from this thread. And on a side note, I would love to be a part of welding the containment vessel of any reactor.

I am not trying to take away from the suffering. I am looking at this situation from a logistical standpoint at the moment as I am listening in on live reports.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by GullibleUnderlord

In my line of work, I get to blow things up for your enjoyment and a small chunk of your disposable income.
This gave me the opportunity to meet Captain Dynamite. He explained to me that by using equal amounts of charge on both sides of his "coffin", the pressure was equal on both sides and if he stayed in the exact center, he was fine.
Probably the same principle in that reactor building.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Engineering fundamentals

edit on 13-3-2011 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
sorry if posted already ... they have cancelled the tsunami alert false
alarm i suggest everyoone go to the nuke thread for recent info as it
is getting hard to update 2 threads.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00

It's the venting that allows the risk of explosion. Not sure how, but have heard the "experts" on CNN and whatnot say that's when it can explode.

They are not venting,,, a venting is not supposed to leave injured workers
0328: Seven people are missing and three people have been injured by the explosion at the Fukushima 1 nuclear plant, the AFP news agency reports, quoting an official from Tepco, the company which operates the plant.
www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by nghtshd

Originally posted by PopeyesForearm
reply to post by nghtshd

From the pictures they have showed on NHK World and CNN of the aftermath of the #3 explosion it appears that much more than just the top of the building was blown apart. Looks much worse than the #1 reactor building.

The explosin did appear to be much more violent. I haven't seen a good closeup of that building since the explosion.

I just saw that on CNN....is does look way more violent than the blast at #1...I getting the distinct feeling of hairs standing up on the back of my neck..this does not look good at all and the folks over there saying basically 'it's ok' makes my dander quiver even more....Gadz.
If it gets to a supercritical point and they realize nothing can be done I hope they have the sense to get the hell out of there before all of it comes totally unglued

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Latest information is that death toll is likely to exceed 10,000 people. Kyodo news agency said 2,000 bodies had been found on Monday on the shores of Miyagi prefecture, which took the brunt of the tsunami.
by Richard Baum at 10:37 PM

live.reuters.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
NewEarthquake Earthquakes Tsunamis
5.3 earthquake, Tonga. Mar 14 4:17pm at epicenter (23m ago, 143km NW of Neiafu, depth 207km). j.mp...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
they say 7 are missing from the explosion how does that happen ?
in a contained explosion

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Said this in another thread but pasting here too with it being the main one :

Not trying to be a shill, just quoting what I said yesterday :

Unit 3 may encounter similar blast as Unit 1 due to accumulation of hydrogen in upper space of building. No damage to container expected.

Announcement made just in case to alert the public that similar event that took place yesterday afternoon to Unit 1 may occur to Unit 3.

Source is a Japanese official on twitter : twitter.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
If there's hydrogen explosions, that means that the core is exposed... and that is not good... because it could lead to a meltdown.
edit on 13-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by GullibleUnderlord

Well, they are giving the best answer they can at the time. To me 7 missing in a contolled explosion means they are GONE. Just my gut, they do not have to admit it. I pray they are not losing their Experts with every blast.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Unit 3 may encounter similar blast as Unit 1 due to accumulation of hydrogen in upper space of building. No damage to container expected.

It just did. #3 is the one with the experimental plutonium fuel

Second explosion rips through Fukushima reactor complex
LINK
edit on 13-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
3 New earthquake with 2 mins interval !

MAP 5.2 2011/03/14 03:20:41 36.730 141.669 20.1 km NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
MAP 5.3 2011/03/14 03:18:47 39.219 144.331 26.3 km OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
MAP 5.6 2011/03/14 03:15:53 36.265 142.146 31.2km OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN

and this one right in between, pretty deep one.
MAP 5.3 2011/03/14 03:17:00 -17.625 -174.802 206.9km TONGA

new topics

top topics

<< 239  240  241    243  244  245 >>

join