It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 245
<< 242  243  244    246  247  248 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

I disrespectfully disagree with you.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
More bad news...
The U.S. Navy says they have temporarily positioned ships and planes away from a Japanese nuclear plant after detecting low level contamination.
live.reuters.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by servumlibertatem

lets not forget that water (H2O) is in fact 1/3 hydrogen(H)

...my thoughts of an energy source if i lived on a volcano-hmm geothermal

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by greenCo
More bad news...
The U.S. Navy says they have temporarily positioned ships and planes away from a Japanese nuclear plant after detecting low level contamination.
live.reuters.com...

I knew it.. The housing around the reactors should not be blowing up. There is absolutely no way that can signify anything other than a complete loss of control of the situation. We are in sit back and wait and hope bad stuff doesnt happen mode.

Or are there still brave souls in the plants trying to fix this stuff?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
From BBC

the US aircraft carrier Ronald Reagan, which is sailing in the Pacific, passed through a radioactive cloud from Japan's stricken reactors on Sunday. Crew members received a month's worth of radiation in about an hour, government officials were quoted as saying.

That's not good news

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

exactly there basically using nuclear fusion to boil water its a fancy steam engine

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ninjadan9

They can if they can get enough. Russia had to scramble and threaten people's lives to get enough during their disaster. It's hard to get enough of it (it takes very little for most applications) and they have little infrastructure to get it in there. The whole world donated nitrogen to Chernobyl.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

You guys are getting overhyped just cause one nuclear reactor failed in the face of a major once in a 50 year earthquake

Didn't you guys see the oil refineries burning? Did you guys forget about the BP oil spill? I bet the BP oil spill caused way more damage than this nuclear reactor

First,its multiple reactors. Second,we dont know of how much of an environmental disaster BP,or this one will cause. Nonetheless,radiation poisoning is far more deadly.Its ongoing,and last I heard,they didnt evacuate 180000 people from the coast of the USA for the BP Disaster.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by defenestrator

I do not wish to argue. I believe that I said it was a different ball game. I could go and google all of the nuclear accidents and then cross reference it with all of the oil refinery and industrial workforce accidents, and some do involve the community as a whole. And by the way I live in Illinois. We are one of the biggest reserves for coal. The problem is it is high sulfer coal. I think somebody forgot to tell the Peabody gang that clean coal is here because the coal industry jobs are not reflecting it. Clean coal is an oxymoron. I have been waiting for years for clean coal.

Oh well, you know what. I was going to make a large reply, but I do not wish to go into it on this thread. I see you have been a member for a while and have less than 100 posts. What is up with that? Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
A volcano just went off. : (

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gamecock

More bad news...
live.reuters.com...

I knew it.. The housing around the reactors should not be blowing up. There is absolutely no way that can signify anything other than a complete loss of control of the situation. We are in sit back and wait and hope bad stuff doesnt happen mode.

Or are there still brave souls in the plants trying to fix this stuff?

Yes, I suspect that there are brave souls trying to contain this stuff, it looks like some may have been lost in that last blast

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
This is truly a wake up call. If there's any type of silver lining to this massive cloud it's that people will be way less ready to accept things they don't understand in the future, and check into them more. How many people know several times more about nuclear reactors than they did before this disaster began? One more step towards us all properly waking up, but at a horrible cost.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1kftabove

lets not forget that water (H2O) is in fact 1/3 hydrogen(H)

...my thoughts of an energy source if i lived on a volcano-hmm geothermal

Actually, it's 2/3 (H2+O). I GET how H2 is cracked in reactors, and vented to outside, not secondary containment >sigh<

That anyone buys any of this story is a miracle to me

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
Is Nuclear Power something that can be justified,after a disaster like this? No matter how many safeguards put in place,I see the worst case scenarios coming true. Japan will have to consider their Nuclear Power option,if and when they get a chance. You cannot have these types of Power sources close to the sea,or near active Volcanoes,IMHO..........................

We don't know what the final outcome will be, so I don't know how you can answer that question. And regardless of the outcome we still have to ask if this accident was inevitable or was it a consequence of bad implementation. I think it's going to ultimately come down to how we should do it rather than if we should do it. Does a country like Japan have much choice but to use nuclear energy right now? Maybe this disaster will be the impetus to move them more toward alternatives like solar and wind, but I don't know if those are viable in Japan for more than supplemental energy.

I question the implementation of these nuclear power plants in such a quake prone part of the world, and putting them right on the coast (I assume for more efficient cooling) seems in hindsight like a really bad idea. The answer to the question, in my opinion, hinges on whether we can do it safely and economically. I don't think this disaster answers that question.

BTW, I read an article which said that coal fired plants put 100 times more radiation into the local environment than nuclear plants for the same energy output. We also have to consider the political, economic and other environmental effects of fossil fuel burning. I don't feel any comfort in knowing that my local power plant is coal fired rather than nuclear.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfessorWonder
A volcano just went off. : (

Which one? Do you mean Shinmoe-dake? If so that happened over 15 hours ago.
edit on 13-3-2011 by Hitoshura because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Ok, if this explosion was sizable enough to register on a seismograph and set off tsunami alerts, then how much energy was released?

My grandfather was killed in the Texas City Disaster back in 1947 and that explosion registered on seismographs in Denver, Colorado.

So either it was a very powerful explosion (withness the LARGE bits of debris raining down) or the seismograph/tsunami sensors are vert sensitive or right unde the plant.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Curio
From BBC

the US aircraft carrier Ronald Reagan, which is sailing in the Pacific, passed through a radioactive cloud from Japan's stricken reactors on Sunday. Crew members received a month's worth of radiation in about an hour, government officials were quoted as saying.

That's not good news

Yep
'minor release from venting'
'no risk to the public'
etc etc.
absolute crap

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

oops - yeah 2/3
the aluminum particulates have sunk deeply thru my skull
PEACE

i figure its cause there pumping in seawater to the secondary
edit on 11/3/13 by 1kftabove because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by AdonisDNA

You mean fission, not fusion, but yes a fancy steam turbine.

@The_Professional, this actually is a pretty serious nuclear disaster already, and that does not mean anyone, least of all myself has forgotten about BP and the Gulf. That's like telling a person in who is upset about Hitler that they must have forgot about Stalin. I don't know who in your life you are able to fool with word-games like that, but I doubt many of them are here on ATS.

If the US Navy (as reported and linked above) are moving their ships away from the reactor I would be willing to bet it will turn out to be more than "low level contamination." Historically these incidents are downplayed until the fiction is impossible for the MSM to maintain any longer, then we start to find out how bad it really is. I'm eating kelp pills starting tomorrow morning, as I am near enough to the west coast. I don't need any extra radiation, thanks.

My heart goes out to the Japanese workers trying to get this reactor under control, and their families, and anyone exposed to radiation. Also, of course, this doesn't mean I have forgotten about the more immediate tragedy of the earthquake, the tsunami and the thousands, if not magnitudes more, of families who have lost loved ones.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

More bad news...
live.reuters.com...

greenCo, I know that your link was about the Navy ships...but that first photo of the woman sitting amidst the rubble, crying, simply breaks my heart

top topics

<< 242  243  244    246  247  248 >>

join