It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 137
<< 134  135  136    138  139  140 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I was going to mention I saw the flaw on CNN - one window they had up last evening said 8.4
and the other window had the update to 8.9. I suppose just one thing not catching up with
another - as you can image they are busy as news is very heavy right now.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by GullibleUnderlord

Exactly what CrazyDaisy said below your post. First it was 7.9, then 8.4, then 8.9, etc. Guess it was reported as 8.4 at the point that was recorded.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wewillallbefree
Another thing people should be asking themselves, the media seemed to right in the mix when it was happening, from the data I've seen the quake hit at 2:46, and news choppers were on site at 3pm, does that not seem a little fast?

Not really. Japan is small so if they have correspondants already in the country that can get to a chopper in 5 mins then it doesn't seem that weird.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

im glad this guy on fox finailly set them straight on the 9.1 and greta didnt even say what 9.1 ? that right there makes me think they knew it all along and just didn't tell us.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
the picture on CNN homepage with cars and planes all mix together with debris, looks like for the most parts the planes look brand new as well as the cars with very little damage to them, is that a real picture or fake.....it looks like fake...

www.cnn.com...

link   
Modern nuclear power stations are incredibly safe with their sophisticated backup emergency systems. The chance of a serious accident is vanishingly small. Even James Lovelock, pioneering environmentalist and founder of the Gaia hypothesis, champions their use.

So what's wrong with building lots of them around the most populous and seismically active islands in the world?

Oh the hubris of the species!

My heart goes out to the poor souls now fighting to prevent disaster at the five massive Fukushima reactors. The one at Chernobyl was a dwarf by comparison with these. The consequence of one or more uncontained core meltdowns is almost unthinkable. I dearly hope we get away with it again. If we do, we'll carry on till the next one. If we don't, it will be a most terrible lesson.

Japan may have hours to prevent nuclear meltdown Reuters

Japan's Nuclear Emergency - The Straight Goods

link   
I found this link
www.boston.com...

it was posted on another thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...

just reminds ourselves how lucky we our sitting in front of a computer and writing reviews and posting our opinions

we can say we feel sorry for people in Japan

but really we can never and never will be able to imagine what survivors are going through right now, scar that perhaps even time will never heal.

Thanks

I am sorry but today I am drunk on 2 bottles of red wine and 8 cans of pop

link   

I don't think there's a conspiracy there. US agency says 8.9, Fox is going to stick with the Americans. They have much better proof and info about it now.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00

I don't think there's a conspiracy there. US agency says 8.9, Fox is going to stick with the Americans. They have much better proof and info about it now.
then why was greta not surprised or even react to that guy the expert with the geological survey saying 9.1 ?

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
From Union of Concerned Scientists reports:
According to technical documents translated by Aileen Mioko Smith of Green Action in Japan, if the coolant level dropped to the top of the active fuel rods in the core, damage to the core would begin about 40 minutes later, and damage to the reactor vessel would occur 90 minutes after that.

www.ucsusa.org... -11-head

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
cool greta is covering the wirlpool! was very brief but she made it sound doomy
edit on 11-3-2011 by GullibleUnderlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Hi Westcoast - I don't have a source other than CNN TV that the quake is now considered
to be a 9.1. if they reported correctly and I heard correctly
(what a day).

And yes I would say in this case there is a big difference between 8.9 and 9.1.
How are things in your area today?

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Because they've been hearing and talking about it as long as we have, but now she's got the go-ahead from Ailes to run with 9.1.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilAxis

How are they going to use the water for cooling, if the water is all dirty now? That has to be one of the issues they are dealing with.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mutantgenius

The core is overheating, they need to cool it down, but no electric to pump water to it

Think 3 Mile Island and Chernobyl

20,000 people are being evacuated in the area.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilAxis

I don't think that reporter understands the difference between Chernobyl and the Japanese plant. Quotes are from arclight on twitter. His website says : "I’m an engineer specializing in risk assessment and safety, primarily regarding nuclear systems – power plants, waste processing, etc." The guardian linked to him on their coverage :

Chernobyl was effectively in a large metal shed (filtered confinement building) completely different than Western powerplants

Chernobyl was a bad design with bad containment operated out of spec by Soviets. Not applicable to Western power reactors.

No matter what happens it won't be as bad as Chernobyl, no way, no how. We have to wait & see & we have some time.

Chernobyl had a solid graphite core with pressure tubes containing fuel and no containment building. This plant is a can in a can

twitter.com...

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
here type this into google proof of 9.1 cant copy link

wrong link the proof was posted in this thread about page 65 or so by many here
edit on 11-3-2011 by GullibleUnderlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I have a question- if anyone knows can they msg me?

Today before 4pm sometime, eastern, a news reporter on one of the Direct TV News Mix channels, I THINK one of the financial ones...was talking about Japan rebuilding and was trying to wrap up and the challenges they were facing, and said "But they've got plenty of people left"

Did anyone else hear that and who was it?
I don't think he meant for it to come out like it did, they were cutting to commercial and I think he was just trying to hurry and wrap up.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Here is a decent link from japan.
www3.nhk.or.jp...
Available in English.

new topics

top topics

<< 134  135  136    138  139  140 >>

join