It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 139
<< 136  137  138    140  141  142 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Latest Japan quake toll: 398 dead, 805 missing - Kyodo

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
That's probably just a record of the release that was just mentioned?

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Doyle

It's been released multiple times now, from two reactors. Presumably they will continue venting steam until it's under control.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Doyle

that is current toll even though i see it being way more

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I had to wonder..does anyone from any of these Earth Science disciplines really know where normal ends and abnormal begins? I keep hearing from scientists "oh this is normal"...well ok, but at what point does one consider aftershocks to be not normal and an indicator of something more ominous/weird/destructive/disturbing, etc.?
Just sayin'...are there any hard and fast rules or are the scientists thinking that they will be able to figure it out when they see it?
I'm using EQs because that is whar this thread is about but I will give some examples:
How many aftershocks are too many?
How much snow is too much?
How many hurricanes are too many?
You catch my drift...
Do they REALLY know?
edit on 11-3-2011 by PaganArchangel because: Clarify Statement

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by GullibleUnderlord

The steam they are venting is not coming directly from the reactor. It does have radioactivity in it but not in amounts (for the time being) that are dangerous any more than your microwave. They put steam from the reactor into a suppression pool which condenses the steam and then pressure if bled from the suppression pool through valves and that is what is being released after going through filter banks.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
On a lighter note...The sun is pretty normal right now.
First time in awhile. hmmm

show me normal on this chart
www.n3kl.org...

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Aftershocks

As of 1 January, 2005, there were about 84 aftershocks with magnitudes ranging from 5.0 to 7.0 in the region of Northern Sumatra and the Nicobar and Andaman Islands. Twenty six (26) of these - including the largest- occurred on 26 December 2004, the same day as the main earthquake. Since 1 January 2005, many more aftershocks have occurred. The aftershocks are expected to continue for several weeks and months. Some of the major aftershocks have occurred in the vicinity of the epicenter of a past earthquake which had occurred on 26 June 1941 and some in the area near the Nicobar Islands where the 1881 earthquake had occurred.

The distribution of afteshocls suggests that the earthquake resulted by the sudden slip of these two plates and that there was a slip as well as an upward thrust of the Burma plate along this boundary.

Taken From HERE.

I'm no geologist but there seems to me that there has been a significantly larger amount of aftershocks with this Japan quake.

As of posting, the USGS site appears to be down for me but last time I looked at their map, there were 180 plus in this region.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by GullibleUnderlord

Agreed. We can probably add about 60,000 people to the toll after they figure out what happened to Minamisoma. If it was anything like what I watched happen last night, they never had a chance.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by 1kftabove

I will repost again so members can absorb the significance
source

Geophysical Activity Forecast: The geomagnetic field is expected to be unsettled to active for the next three days (11-13 March) with a slight chance for minor to major storm conditions, particularly at high latitudes. Effects from the 07 March CME will slowly subside during day one (11 March), but the arrival of a coronal hole high speed stream is expected to become geoeffective late on day two (12 March) through day three (13 March).

quite argueing NOAA has declared geoactivity over the next 48 hours.l
I agree its not normal and rampnig up although the x -ray flux is diminishing.

edit on 11-3-2011 by gringoboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
hard to know what a "normal" amount of aftershocks would be... from 2010

There have been more than 500 aftershocks from Sunday's 7.2 Mexicali earthquake, and experts said residents in the region can expect many more.

latimesblogs.latimes.com... 10/04/500-aftershocks-and-counting-from-mexicali-earthquake.html

but the current aftershocks seem to be all over in magnitude...
edit on 11-3-2011 by clearmind because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
First tsunami waves reach Arica, northern Chile; no damage reported - TVN Chile via NBC News

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Question
Is the news media in Japan censored in any way?
They have had a Huge earthquake, over 100 big quakes since, a tsunami, Fires, an avalanche, radiation leaks, cities of over 70,000 total washed away and on and on..

Yet the death toll is so low ( I can understand this, as still in the early stages)
yet reports of injuries being treated are just over 1000 (according to Japan news)

Do you think they are downplaying the news coming out of the country?

Has anyone seen a injured person on any of the news feeds? (I remember in other countries pics of dead bodies floating by, injured people etc..)

I ask this in regards to the power plant...do you think they will tell the truth as how bad it is?

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Could Japan Disaster Have Been Predicted? abcn.ws...

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Press TV an Iranian News has so far had breaking news on the reactors. It issued about an hour ago that ALL the reactor cooling system has shut down. That looks like meltdown is imminent. There was also a dam that collapsed northeast Honshu and flooded towns along the river.

www.presstv.com...

edit on 11-3-2011 by Komodo3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

I think there probably weren't very many injured, rather "alive and well" or "dead and floating out to sea." Seems that if you were away from the coast, you're probably fine (maybe cold and scared, but alive and not injured). If you were along the coast, especially those closest shores..............eek. And if they're in those areas and still alive, we won't know it until some rescue teams can get to the areas and find them. Starting to happen now, thank goodness.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy
Question
Is the news media in Japan censored in any way?
They have had a Huge earthquake, over 100 big quakes since, a tsunami, Fires, an avalanche, radiation leaks, cities of over 70,000 total washed away and on and on..

Yet the death toll is so low ( I can understand this, as still in the early stages)
yet reports of injuries being treated are just over 1000 (according to Japan news)

Do you think they are downplaying the news coming out of the country?

Has anyone seen a injured person on any of the news feeds? (I remember in other countries pics of dead bodies floating by, injured people etc..)

I ask this in regards to the power plant...do you think they will tell the truth as how bad it is?

Yes, thats what I think. Whole city washed away. There must be hundreds of thousands dead. I think this is being censored severely.

Also, isn't that plant in meltdown or close to it? The China Syndrome! I read that it would take 2-3 days for this cloud to hit west coast of North America.

www.godlikeproductions.com...

pitcher332 says that Michio Kaku is on 20/20, and the China Syndrome was mentioned, not Chenobyl.

Potassium Iodide is being mentioned alot on that thread.
edit on 11-3-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1kftabove

Originally posted by jude11
On a lighter note...The sun is pretty normal right now.
First time in awhile. hmmm

show me normal on this chart
www.n3kl.org...

Shhhhh....I'm staring at your avatar. It shur is purty...Hyuk!

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by GullibleUnderlord
Could Japan Disaster Have Been Predicted? abcn.ws...

Actually, over the last few days, I have seen a lot of us here at ATS that predicted it.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo3

TBS in Japan was just reporting about the reactor as well

:Water level has decreased further & they fear fuel can melt and escape
and something about a damaged hole getting worse

TBS feed

Not looking good

new topics

top topics

<< 136  137  138    140  141  142 >>

join