It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most annoying ATS advertisement EVER!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I just wanted to make this short and sweet because it doesn't deserve any more frustration.

That new BULLET STORM advertisement on ATS right now that keeps covering 70% of my screen is the most annoying thing I have ever had shoved in my digital face.

Click it off and HELLO, its back again.

Try to get into another forum and HELLO, Bullet storm has blocked me from doing anything.

Click it off and HELLO, its back again.

Just put your head down for the night to go to sleep and as soon as you close your eyes, HELLO its bullet storm.

Most annoying advertisement EVER!

DIE Bullet storm, just DIE.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I guess the ad is about as bad as the horrendous game that is Bulletstorm.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Statement has been retracted and edited on behalf of the 5th amendment

edit on 2/28/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Oh i'ts creepy
the promotional people did a good job with that banner hey.

the stupid ROLOVER is in the perfect spot for my mouse.

I wonder how many hours of testing they did to figure out the best possible place to put it.

edit on 28/2/11 by Whateva69 because: i needed to

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I just want to remind people that it is against the T&C to use adblockers.
This could get you banned.
You might want to read the T&C of this site.

The ads are why this site is free.
edit on 28-2-2011 by DrumsRfun because: Abducted by aliens

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Oh, they weren't saying they actually had adblock on their own computer!

One was at a friends house and one was speaking hypothetically......

Right guys?

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I'm just thrilled I won a new prize in bright green everytime I come on.

I never win ANYTHING.

Everyday I win.

And it says "no joke" right in the ad.

I'm waiting by the mailbox right now.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Congratulations, you've won, Congratulations, you've won, Congratulations, you've won, Congratulations you've won. One of my all time favorite ads.

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
You are seriously warning and potentially banning me for protecting my computer from rogue advertisers? Cya folks, if that's how this place operates i'm out, I'm not allowing you to get paid to infect my machine with malicious code because that's exactly how people get infected.

It will be a cold day in hell before I allow some forum to dictate what I install or choose not to install on my computer.

Un-flipping-believable. I'd had some issues so far but this takes the arrogance cake. As if you think you can tell me what to do with my computer.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Come on phishy don't let em win! Stick around, you'll get a shot at revenge.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I had no idea ad blockers were against the T&C. I mean I understand that its necessary to keep the site running though. Kinda funny to tell someone what they can put on their computer and what they can't.

I think its wierd how the ads are targeted to my interests. I bought silver the other day now all of the sudden there are silver advertisements all over ATS for me. I'm wondering where this info is stored on my computer. Kinda creepy.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

Cookies, that's how.

20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the Websites.

I'll never agree to that. You'll also never be able to tell if I'm using one or not, so i could say right now that I'm not using any when accessing this site.

Is there a list of the ad services in use here? Before I'd even consider turning scripts and ads on here I'd expect the full list of ad services so I can quickly point out the ones known for hosting malware as it's almost all of them.

So I assume, since it's in the terms not to protect my self, the site will pay for the damages and repairs required? didn't think so. I won't mention them again, but you'll just have to wonder if I'm using them or not.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
There's a Ford ad that comes down even as far as my trying to click on recent posts. It covers half the page, and I've made sure my mouse doesn't go anywhere near it, yet, when I try to click on my ats, or recent posts, there's the damn ad, covering half my screen.
I already HATE Fords, and their ad is making me hate them even more!

Another ad is some flashy white banner that comes up over top of current topics. It should be under it, but nooo, it goes on top of it, not letting me read the top 2 or 3 thread titles.

I don't have an ad blocker, and have no plans on getting one, only because I'm computer lazy, but I sure don't blame the people that do want to use one. When an ad does not behave itself, and stay where its supposed to be, It is a piss off.

How in the world do people work this site from a phone, or netbook? I have a 17 inch laptop, and that ford ad takes over my screen.

Thank you for this thread, it felt good to rant that out........
Gawd, I hate fords.
edit on 28-2-2011 by snowspirit because: ettiquette

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
This is exactly why I use ad blockers. Half of the stuff advertized on here is ridiculous anyways.

Out of sight, out of mind.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Just FYI, there is a Worst Ads Ever thread here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

where SkepticOverlord vows to remove obnoxious ads that people report

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

### #rm -f /snarkycomment*.* ###

Just so the mods know, I mostly visit here at work where the adds are displayed in all their glory, usually at the most inopportune of times, or course.

Are we able to purchase membership with ATS, or donate? If so, does it remove the more virulent ads?

edit on 28-2-2011 by sixswornsermon because: oopsie

edit on 28-2-2011 by sixswornsermon because: Ads keep the site afloat.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
i must be the only person on here who dosnt get that popup
second line

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unguided
Just FYI, there is a Worst Ads Ever thread here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

where SkepticOverlord vows to remove obnoxious ads that people report

THIS is the proper way to address the issue of bothersome or bad advertisements. Last year there was a roll over that kept screen jacking me. I complained to the above thread and, within hours, the ad was gone.

For all that ATS provides, free of charge, is asking people to simply follow a few rules (one of which is not to discuss ad blockers) really that much to request?

~Heff

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I'll remind y'all of what you agreed to when you signed up:

20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the Websites.

I'll also repeat what's been said.

This is a site that is, for y'all, free to use. How do we provide a site this large, with this much traffic, for free to our members and guests?

That's right, with ads. Are they annoying? Perhaps.

Would you rather pay a monthly fee to be here? I know I wouldn't want to pay a fee, nor would we want to charge one but, if everyone blocks the ads, and, worse, announces it, you might chase away our advertisers and that would result in our inability to maintain the site without the need for cash infusions in the form of fees from our members.

So, rather than act like a big shot, bragging about how you block ads, let me suggest that you allow the ads, lest you lose the site and, also, let me remind you that violating the terms and conditions is cause for banning and, more so, let me remind you of this last bit of info from the terms and conditions which, again, you agreed to when you signed up here.

24) Right of Community Management. This is a privately owned discussion board community. TAN reserves the right to take action against any member, or member Posting, which is deemed to be devoted purely to disruption, represents behavior contrary to community building, or in cases where the content is contrary to the core ideals of the Websites. This action may include removal of your Posting and/or complete banning of your username and IP address. TAN reserves the right to eliminate or edit any content deemed inappropriate for the discussion boards, news network or any affiliated sites. TAN reserves the right to establish limits on topics that may be discussed if, in their opinion, the discussion of those topics attract an audience that is counterproductive to maintaining the ideals set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use and the Terms and Conditions of Membership.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join