It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most annoying ATS advertisement EVER!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by FoxfilesMulder

I agree with you mate; It's turning me off ATS. Funny how so many web sites on the net start off good then slowley turn to s***. I see it happening on TV all the time.

I'm even going off watching my faveroute footbll team on TV because of the way it's filmed. Seems that what was regarded as bad camera work 10 years ago is regarded as good camera work these days.

What makes a bad website from a customers point of view seems to be a good website by definition according to the the marketers/owners these days.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

I'm absolutely fine with the ads that stay where they're supposed to, it's just the ones that take over the page, not letting us click on the content, like the menu bar. Or the ones that come up over top of the current topics.

Advertisements should know their place.

Especially that Ford ad.

I think that it shows by how bugged we get by those, that we don't use blockers.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by tokzik

Actually make that two!

Ha... I have this Laptop tuned to perfection!

Yes.. I know... I'm AWESOME!

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

What Ford Ad? Is it anything like Citroens Transformer? That was awesome!
edit on 28-2-2011 by Xcellante because: No Reason...

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

any time an ad is there and it causes trouble, or annoys, add it to so's ad hitlist.

for the record, my post was aimed at the folks who were bragging about blocking the ads like 12 year olds bragging about how they watched a show they weren't supposed to.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcellante

I'm not sure what a Citroens Transformer is...

I think the ads are very regional, there must be a lot of Ford trucks in Canada.
The Ford ad keeps trying to sell me a F-150, 250, or 350. It's almost like it knows I drive a truck, but I'm sticking with anything but Ford. I'm not sure about the new Ford vehicles, but the older ones are known to break down a lot. The older Ford cars are especially troublesome, when it rained, the distributor cap would get moisture in it, and had to be blowdried with a hair dryer :shk:

If the ad just stays where it's supposed to it's OK, but it's very invasive, and takes over almost half the page.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

OK, sounds like a good idea

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
ATS has ads? *scrolls up to the top* Oh, I guess they do. I pay so little attention to advertising that I didn't even notice them there. As far as advertisement banners go, ATS does a good job at keeping them out of our faces. Well atleast I think so, its far better than other sites I have been to.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
While I realize that I have contributed little to this site, I have been a long term lurker, and thus, witnessed the departure of several major contributors for which, in my opinion, made ATS was it was. They do pop in every now and again, yet, the whole site has changed with the recognition that it has received over the past couple of years. This, is indeed a good thing, that being that those of us are now being heard in a forum that started out small. However, in the same token of that which grows must need that to feed that which grows, and hopefully , continues to grow until we no longer need such forums. I think we should all be thankful that we have people who have taken the time to start such an idea, where you and I can come together and release, express, and for the most part DEBATE that which is on our minds, COLLECTIVELY.....I don't think the newer members realize or respect that.

If the site owners realized a viable gold mine in the early days of this coming to fruition....I absolutely applaud them as it does indeed show what it is that debate quite a bit about........FREEDOM and THE ABILITY to do so on ones accord.

Please take a moment to reflect as to why and how it is that you have been able to come to this site and express that which you feel, without scrutiny in most forms of the term........

Also, take into accord the fact that if you had this opportunity to make such a site and / or profit from it...would you not?

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
It's a little sickening how some on this site choose to gravel at the feet of the almighty administrators.

Face it ATS, this should not even be an issue. How you can even put something so ridiculous in the T&C is beyond my comprehension. Actually, that's a lie because I am not naive enough to think that the glorious leaders of this establishment are beyond money.

What do I know about selling ad space on the internet though? Maybe it's some sort of selling point. "Hey, we require our members to turn ad blockers off." I don't know.

I would be willing to wager a large sum of invisible money that had you guys just said something along the lines of, "hey, it's not mandatory but we would appreciate you not using ad blockers" not only would your ad revenue probably be the same, but you wouldn't have ticked off so many members. I think it's fairly obvious that people are still going to use ad blocker and no T&C...blah blah blah is going stop them, but at least you wouldn't look like d-bags by actually having the rule.

ATS is a site full of anarchists. We go against the grain. We question. What else would you expect from such a group?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I continuously see ads for some game called Bulletstorm, which bounce out before I get the chance to enter my username and password, and which continuously bounce back for a little while as I repeatedly click 'close'.
Certainly one game I probably wouldn't buy, thanks to the aggressive advertising
Nice work, advertising department! (That's not to say I wouldn't pirate it if it turned out to be any good)

Re. ads linking to malicious sites, I don't know myself since I make a point of never following web advertisements (particularly because a lot are so dodgy), but if it's true of any advertisement on ATS, I think it would be a good idea for the admins to look into it

EDIT: Missed the first page, now I see I'm not alone, lol

edit on 1/3/11 by HardbeatAcolyte because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Ok well after reading all the replies its obvious the ads are regional and different for different people.

I was under the impression the bullet storm ad I was seeing was what everyone could see.

This ad for me is seriously demented.

If I'm slightly lagged its actually quicker for me to close off my ATS session and start a new one than to wait for this bullet storm ad to load up its moving graphics of someone firing a gun and kicking a wall down.

It covers a good 70-80% of my screen and prevents me clicking on any buttons near the top such as new topics and forums etc. All I can see of the ATS page is a half inch line on each side and an inch down the bottom.

I guess Ill do whats suggested and complain to the right thread.
edit on 1-3-2011 by FoxfilesMulder because: correction

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by FoxfilesMulder

Creepy, I get the Bulletstorm add. I thought it was because i like gaming.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by FoxfilesMulder
This ad for me is seriously demented.

makes me wonder. If the ads are catered to specific people, due to cookies or whatever, and use information from other sites you visit in order to accurately place an ad that fits your interests. Then maybe someone, somewhere, has came to the conclusion that you are seriously demented.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

Yeah I wonder how the ATS powers that be knew we liked gaming and spend every Saturday morning at JB HIFI, hmmmm interesting.

And my avatar may be creepy, but the number on the end of your name is intriguing and warrants further investigation.

edit on 1-3-2011 by FoxfilesMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

If that’s true, I'm going to start clicking and searching for adds like gardening and flowers and how to make wicker baskets. Hopefully I will eventually learn something from rollover adds.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by FoxfilesMulder

And my avatar may be creepy, but the number on the end of your name is intriguing and warrants further investigation.

Creepy, That number (secret code) is assigned to certain members for a specific purpose.

And you should embrace your nickname, its special, given to you by a member with a (secret code).

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Try it. It may become useful for you.

I don't know if that is how it's determined or not. I read that in someone's comment stating that cookies keep certain information from other sites that you visit, and then use that information to determine ads that may be of interest to you. At least I thought i read that
, because I thought I read that in a reply on this thread. I just now looked and could not find it.
So it's possible I made that up on my own.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

I just now looked and could not find it.
So it's possible I made that up on my own.

lol

I’m still going to try it, ill clear my cookies tomorrow on the other comp and just look at nothing but pet shops for a day or so, and see if the adds start showing buy one fishy get one free.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Thankfully my bulletstorm ad has now been changed and I can relax on ATS again without swearing.

Well I definitely know what the secret code for the number on the end of your username is, but I didn't realize you got this by some master after an apprenticeship. You must be a black belt in kama sutra or something!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join