It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government Seeking Persona Management Software (Fake Web Users) to manufacture concent

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Persona Management Software

This type of software is inherently dangerous to our conversation here on ATS as well as on other similar sites. Now just a hand full of government or corporate agents can magnify their numbers and control conversations online.

This will likely be used to great extent to derail critics or government or corporations and can be operated by just a few dozen agents controlling 10 or more persona program identities at once. I thought everyone should be aware of this technology. It is likely already being used since this solicitation seems to just be seek licenses for the technology.

Now when you discuss some hot topic you will not know if you are discussing the topic with a real person or a fake persona controlled by a gov/corp operative.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Obviously, this is a way for the USGov to use the internet for psyops and create a felling of "mass unity" towards an idea. Sadly, this makes the jobs of people such as SkepticOverlord and the users of this site much harder when it comes to weeding out shills and federal agents.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by wayouttheredude

That looks like an RFQ from last year, they probally already have the software now. If you look at teh locations they want to deploy it to it sheds new light on the protests in egypt and other places.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Wouldn't be the first time phantoms were used as social engineering.

Early Franklin letters were signed as a little old lady to sway opinions.

Ideals themselves are little more than projected perspectives onto a phantom. Even if projected onto a real person that person isn't being accurately represented for the cause of the ideal. That person is just a post for the phantom to sit on.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Reply to post by exile1981

I heard on the news this morning that last Summer the white house was gaming this very scenario in the middle east. Doubtful a coincidence.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I wonder if the posts will read like Jared Loghner? And if we have not already replied to a bot here.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

I originally saw this on the American Gothic blog and then saw it on Dailykos and then went to the original gov site discussed in the HBGary email.

no-dictator-needed.blogspot.com...

It is pretty sad to think of the ramifications of this army of sock puppets approach to controlling the discussion online.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Notice one of the interested vendors is HBGary Federal? I wonder what they could possibly want with such software.

edit on 17-2-2011 by quackers because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I just received a massive attack on my computer. I have settings up very high on security and deploy several different software systems for protection so they were blocked but just wanted to post this warning to other ATS users that this attack came just shortly after I posted this thread. Lock your firewall down. Peace.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

What was the nature of the attack? Can you give some details of what you perceived?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
This is troublesome as the government is essentially admitting to creating an artificial majority that doesn't exist.

I personally believe we see this attempt at manipulating the numbers by organized groups already that sign on from site to site at the same time, thumb, star and comment in support of one another, to in essence dominate conversations and make pro-government, pro-war, pro-Israel, pro-NWO statements seem more accepted than they really are, through attempting to stack the playing field in targeted conversations and topics.

Giving these groups software to even further bolster their numbers and the illusion of popularity is certainly an open admission on the part of the government, that theirs is not a truly popular argument and forming a natural majority through just the quality and validity of the argument is not assured or even likely without cyber tampering to create the illusion that it is.

To me in my eyes this is every bit as deadly as a chemical or biological weapon and should be outlawed.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
To me in my eyes this is every bit as deadly as a chemical or biological weapon and should be outlawed.

Technically Propaganda is already illegal in the US, I believe.

I don't think the marking of multiple personas as illegal can be effectively put into place without comprimising our personal liberties. We just need to be aware, informed, and vigilant.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

I moved to another device so I could run a pre-boot scan on the effected device. It was about 5 malware programs trying to all start up at the same time. My firewall caught them and then I decided to shut down that device and run the pre-boot scan. I have not had that while here on ATS in a long while. It might have come in from an ad and just been a coincidence. They were java applications that want after vload.class and vmain.class and LoaderX.class as well as DyesyaZ.class.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Hmm. probably just coincidence, then. I have not seen any issues and I even went so far as to post about this on facebook.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
omg, this is just going too far

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
If you can't shut them up, then outnumber them and drown them out.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

I would like to collect some relevant data on your theory but I do not posses the user statistics from such a site to prove your theory. I certainly believe what you propose is possible. Thanks for sharing.
edit on 17-2-2011 by wayouttheredude because: added detail

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I have to throw my hands up at this - this is obviously an attempt to sway the web-bot into predicting something completely different than actual events!

I'm only half joking but you can see the point.

Here's what I'm wondering about all of this fake persona's and such. My social web sites because of the constant spam attacks all use Captcha and doesn't let the user "stay logged on". Cut down on almost all of the garbage overnight.

That would put salt on the slugs.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by billxam
I have to throw my hands up at this - this is obviously an attempt to sway the web-bot into predicting something completely different than actual events!

I'm only half joking but you can see the point.

Here's what I'm wondering about all of this fake persona's and such. My social web sites because of the constant spam attacks all use Captcha and doesn't let the user "stay logged on". Cut down on almost all of the garbage overnight.

That would put salt on the slugs.

Wouldn't necessarilly work in this case.. The Persona software is not a "Bot" persay.. more like a personal assistant that keeps an agent organized so they do not cross contaminate the personas. It keeps their bookmarks seperated, organizes passwords and emails, and has onscreen prompts about the sorts of things the persona likes/dislikes, etc.

So Captchas are not really an issue here.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Looks like Cryptogon has picked up this story. cryptogon.com...

This will be going viral you can bet on it and then some one is going to put a microphone in Gate's face and ask the hard question. I wonder how he will respond to that. "So Secretary Gates why does the US Air Force need this persona management software that allows your agents to fake 10 online fake personas at once, and why do you need 50 such licenses for this software?" = 500 fake web users. I would love to see that.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join