It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do Minorities get most Govt and State Jobs?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

It holds water in my observations of local area offices in the northeastern US. As the person who posted the chart mentioned, some areas are grossly dominated by minority employees.

A visit to any govt office in the tri-state area will back up my observations. These are not opinions, you can actually visit these places and see the dis-proportionate amount of minority's being employed there compared to regular caucasian workers.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by GeminiSky

They have quotas. So they actively have to look to fill positions with minorities.

But, the jobs are less than idyllic, even though they are economically stable. Have you ever noticed that virtually every government employee you have ever had the misfortune to deal with looks as if they hate life? Its because for the most part, they do. I have a couple state employees in my neighborhood, and they have told me why. That security allows the most vile, lazy, incompetent, mean, bullying people on the planet to stay in their jobs and make your life a living hell for decades.

So, its a trade off. There might be more to life than security. One of my neighbors is being bullied so badly at work she comes home and cries at least 3 times a week. Sobs. Shes 50 something and has been in that job for a long time, and a supervisor moved into the dept that hates her, and now she just makes her life a hell every single day and there is nothing my neighbor can do about it but quit. Because yeah, they have committees that look into stuff like that, but they are filled with incompetent complacent people who have long standing friendships with other complacent incompetents. Its a huge steaming mess.

I was tempted at one time, to apply for a job with the state. But the misery of the state workers I knew convinced me to consider again.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Overall, the numbers don't match your claim. It's still just your personal opinion, not a fact.

So keep chanting your mantra over and over -- just remember, it won't change the reality.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
He's not wrong in many cases.
Houston's city government and employee base is primarily black and hispanic.
So what?
It's just the demographics of the area.
Life goes on.
Non issue.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

They have quotas. So they actively have to look to fill positions with minorities.

But, the jobs are less than idyllic, even though they are economically stable. Have you ever noticed that virtually every government employee you have ever had the misfortune to deal with looks as if they hate life? Its because for the most part, they do. I have a couple state employees in my neighborhood, and they have told me why. That security allows the most vile, lazy, incompetent, mean, bullying people on the planet to stay in their jobs and make your life a living hell for decades.

So, its a trade off. There might be more to life than security. One of my neighbors is being bullied so badly at work she comes home and cries at least 3 times a week. Sobs. Shes 50 something and has been in that job for a long time, and a supervisor moved into the dept that hates her, and now she just makes her life a hell every single day and there is nothing my neighbor can do about it but quit. Because yeah, they have committees that look into stuff like that, but they are filled with incompetent complacent people who have long standing friendships with other complacent incompetents. Its a huge steaming mess.

I was tempted at one time, to apply for a job with the state. But the misery of the state workers I knew convinced me to consider again.

Yeh, they do seem quite miserable dont they? I mean It almost seems like people in these positions are incredibly rude and strive to make a simple process like renewing a drivers license seem like im being talked down to and ordered around like a child, almost like im a grade school child being told what to do.

What exactly makes these people so nasty? Because they know that we need their service, and have no other place to go. If I dont like a restaurants service, I will simply go to another restaurant. But if i dont like how im being treated at the DMV, well I cant exactly switch providers!

To be clear about this, I have been treated in this rude manner by ALL govt employees not just minority ones.

So why exactly are these quotas in place?

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
all I'm gonna say is here in vegas you gotta go out your way to see non-minority employees ANYWHERE. and I'm sure no "official" statictic will back that up. but I also really don't care, the PC crowd is gonna be butt hurt regardless.

hoping I can find a link to a local write-up last week that shows local whites can't find work and top the list for suicide canadites.

www.lasvegassun.com...

As a white man over age 50 who also lacks a support network, Meyers fits the profile of people most vulnerable to suicide.

edit on 15-2-2011 by wingsfan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by maria_stardust

Overall, the numbers don't match your claim. It's still just your personal opinion, not a fact.

So keep chanting your mantra over and over -- just remember, it won't change the reality.

The chart does not represent the local area offices that I made this thread about. Your post is coming off rather rude to me and Im not quite sure why?

Why are you telling me to keep chanting anything? Who are you exactly?

I am simply reporting on what I see around me, to me that IS reality, not some government prepared chart. (the same govt that lies, cheats, and steals from the American public mind you)

Just because someone posted a chart, does not change the validity of my post, and the reality on what I am describing around me in my area.

If you dont like what your reading you are free to browse the many other threads on ATS instead of making rude, assuming posts.

--GeminiSky

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by wingsfan
all I'm gonna say is here in vegas you gotta go out your way to see non-minority employees ANYWHERE. and I'm sure no "official" statictic will back that up. but I also really don't care, the PC crowd is gonna be butt hurt regardless.

hoping I can find a link to a local write-up last week that shows local whites can't find work and top the list for suicide canadites.

Yep, this is what im getting at, someone posted a chart, and some people blindly accept anything they read with a govt stamp on it, like it was the holy grail.

Why not get outta your house and visit your local govt offices to verify my claims? You are absolutely correct wingsfan, official statistics mean nothing to me because they are published by a deceiving government therefore making them invalid in my eyes. Just like official death toll statistics on the war in Iraq are total hogwash.

---GS

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

If the quotas did not exist, do you think minorities would have a good chance of landing those jobs?

I wish all jobs could be based on merit rather than quotas, but we know such a perfect place doesn't exist. I recall once being offered a job as a policeman. I was elated at being offered the job until the officer told me they needed a minority to fill the position. No thanks. I may be seen as a minority but I will not accept a job because I am a minority. I want them to hire me for who I am and what I am capable of.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeminiSky

What exactly makes these people so nasty? Because they know that we need their service, and have no other place to go. If I dont like a restaurants service, I will simply go to another restaurant. But if i dont like how im being treated at the DMV, well I cant exactly switch providers!

To be clear about this, I have been treated in this rude manner by ALL govt employees not just minority ones.

Quotas were put in place to deal withr the very real discrimination of the past. If you were not a white male in the past, you literally would never, ever, ever be hired for many jobs. So, they came up with a way to quickly bring in minorities. It was hoped that by getting people in the door roughly proportionate to their percentage of the population, that in a couple decades it could be dispensed with. But like all entitlements, once someone has them, its war trying to take them away.

And I think you nailed it why govt. employees are so near universally evil to deal with. They are a monopoly. You cant go elsewhere. As long as they dont say words that are bad to you, and stick to attitude and tone, its nearly impossible for them to be fired or punished for being evil to you. They have power over you, and you have none over them. And then, there is the kick the dog thing. They get kicked in the teeth by their jerky bosses, so they kick you in the teeth. Its the "crap rolls downhill" natural law.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

If the quotas did not exist, do you think minorities would have a good chance of landing those jobs?

I wish all jobs could be based on merit rather than quotas, but we know such a perfect place doesn't exist. I recall once being offered a job as a policeman. I was elated at being offered the job until the officer told me they needed a minority to fill the position. No thanks. I may be seen as a minority but I will not accept a job because I am a minority. I want them to hire me for who I am and what I am capable of.

In all honesty, now that I think about it? No I dont think they would have a decent chance of getting the job without the quotas. I never thought about it from that point of view...

EDIT: Now that I think about it even more, In this day and age I dont think the quotas are needed as much as they were in the past, I believe it is now becoming disproportionate to the point where its the majority that is getting the short end of the stick.

I believe in equality for all, not imbalance....
edit on 15-2-2011 by GeminiSky because: because I dont accept what isnt right.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Because this was the U.S.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

I may be seen as a minority but I will not accept a job because I am a minority. I want them to hire me for who I am and what I am capable of.

Rodger that.
Merit is the only way to get the best out of life. If you are over qualified then you will be dissatisfied with the job. If you are under qualified then you won't be able to take the steps to reach your potential.
Too many people trying to legislate success instead of encouraging honest growth.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

I wish all jobs could be based on merit rather than quotas, but we know such a perfect place doesn't exist.

I had a friend who played bassoon for a symphony. He knew tons of stuff about music history, etc. In the past, all musicians in symphonies were male. The people who hired swore, up and down, that it was just that men were better than women. The quality of their music was alone the reason no women were hired. And then someone came up with the clever idea of having the auditions performed blind. Literally. They could not see or know anything about the musician, but could only hear them play.

Women began to appear in orchestras and symphonies.

Thats what we need to move to. Blind hiring practice. Where the gender, age, ethnicity, height, looks, etc., of a candidate are kept from the hiring person, and only skill and merit can be considered.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

What you are relating is your personal perspective on the issue. Any observation not based in fact is open to speculation. You have provided no concrete evidence to support your claim even in your area.

It seems that every DMV center I go to, at least 80% of the employees are of a minority class. Every toll booth I go to, is at least 80% operated by minorities. Every post office? same thing.

You claim at least 80% by your estimation. You can't throw empty percentages around as if it were confetti and expect not to be called out on it. I merely keep pointing out that personal opinion does not equate to fact. National statistics in the form of cold-hard facts have been provided that show that minorities do not hold the majority of Federal jobs. Chances are highly probably that the same holds true for State employees.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
In case you were wondering...There was a little thing passed a while ago called affirmative action...Biggest mistake in a long list of mistakes this country has made...

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

When I went into every single office in my area, 8 out of 10 employees were minority. Im no rocket scientist but I think that amounts to 80%?

Again my observation is not opinion, it is fact that 80% of the employees THAT I SAW WORKING AT THE OFFICES were minorities, unless ofcourse they all decided it was cool to wear professionally designed masks and face paint on that day, or they had about 40 caucasian employees locked in a hallway closet, I would say that this percentage is factual BASED ON MY OBSERVATIONS.

Again this is considering that visibility conditions were good, and no optical illusions were taking place.

Cold hard facts? From a govt printed chart? If you accept anything the govt says as cold hard facts, then im not sure you are supporting the ATS motto of denying ignorance. Nothing "super" about that.

Again you seem to think this is all opinion? Thats like sayin, "the sky is blue" and calling that an opinion. Sorry but the cold hard facts aren't gonna be found in some govt chart, they are going to be found by crawling out from under that rock and visiting these offices and verifying my claims for yourself.

Regards,
GS

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by illusion987
In case you were wondering...There was a little thing passed a while ago called affirmative action...Biggest mistake in a long list of mistakes this country has made...

If this is even remotely how things are with this "affirmative action" law, then I am truly and completely disgusted.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by maria_stardust
reply to post by Golf66

A quick look at the stats that have been provided from 2006 it is quite obvious that the OP's assertion doesn't hold water. It all comes down to facts vs. opinions.

Agreed.

This just seems to be the opinion of the OP in conjunction with a cartoon clip, not anything actually substantial.
There is no evidence that minorities get the most Govt and State jobs.

Certain DMV's in Maryland (Baltimore) I've been too have been mostly Black due to the area in question, but when I needed to go to a different DMV for a drivers test it was ALL White. Due of course, to the area.

The racial breakdown of the employees just comes down to the demographics and areas.

If you live in a mostly White community, I guarantee they won';t be busing in "Black employees" to fill the State jobs there.

I think some people are more apt to notice when there is a large number of minorities employees because they aren't used to dealing with them on that level, and probably expected to see White ones.

It's a race conscious world no matter what people say.
Otherwise they'd just be "employees" and not "minority employees".

- Lee

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

I wish all jobs could be based on merit rather than quotas, but we know such a perfect place doesn't exist.

As proven by the fact that people aren't even looking at the employees as anything but people of color.
Not only that, but that it is unusual that they would allegedly have the most of a certain type of job.

This thread proves that racial bias is not only likely, but highly probable when it comes to hiring.

People don't expect the employer to notice a person is a minority when they themselves are calling them out right now?

- Lee
edit on 15-2-2011 by lee anoma because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join