It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do Minorities get most Govt and State Jobs?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
First off,

before anyone starts screaming racist, I'd like everyone to understand that I have nothing against any nationality, race, religion, sexual orientation, etc....

This is simply a thread detailing my observations living here in the NE United States.

We all know that some of the most stable jobs in America, are state and govt jobs. For the most part they are recession proof, offer great benefits, and are basically a job that once you get into, you are there for life, and after retirement you receive a great pension.

Simply put, it seems to me that minorities here are awarded state and govt jobs far more often that the average Caucasian.

It seems that every DMV center I go to, at least 80% of the employees are of a minority class. Every toll booth I go to, is at least 80% operated by minorities. Every post office? same thing.

Every social security office? Same thing. Almost every govt agency office that I have visited, is almost exclusively made up of employees who are of a minority class.

Now Im pretty sure that there is an equal amount of minority and non-minority applicants, in fact I would say that more non-minority class people apply for these jobs.

I have heard personal stories from acquaintances that they were turned down at a govt job, only to be replaced by a minority class employee.

My simple question is why? Where does this imbalance occur in the hiring process? Is there really an equal opportunity chance of getting hired for a state or govt job if you are say a Caucasian, and not part of a minority?

Again, my intention is not to imply that minorities are any less qualified than the rest of the population, I am simply pointing out the imbalance I see in almost every govt agency office, center, or other location.

Anyone who wants to argue otherwise, just go and stop by a DMV, SS office, Welfare office, ETC... and what you will see is that its made up of over 80% minority employees.

My simple question: Is this all just a big coincidence, or is it intentional?

And please dont take this thread too seriously, its just my curiosity was spurred when I saw this clip of my fave
show.

---GeminiSky

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by GeminiSky

How many of these jobs have you applied for?
Just curious.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
EO tax credits..................

good luck with this thread!

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
That's easy, so they can be THE MAN.

My prediction is that you will be labled a racist very soon, I probably will too for reading this.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I know for the fed gov. the application, interview, etc process is very long and tedious..sometimes from the time you put in your application to the time you're hired can take upward of 6 months...I think white people are impatient and look elsewhere. Black people will WAIT it out fo' sure. just sayin'
)

+10 more 
posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Why do I need luck with this thread? Because Im one of the few who do not care about being "politically correct" and tell it like it is?

I for one am tired of people having to tip-toe around any subject that discusses issues such as this, just because we are so conditioned in regards to so called "racism" that things like this never get discussed because the sheeple are too afraid of being called racist. (Even if there is nothing racist about it)

--GS

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

I think there are a few reasons.

1. Many government jobs are in the older parts of cities, areas heavily populated by minorities they have easy access to those jobs and employers like to hire folks close to where the actual job is.

2. During the period when affirmative action was a necessary thing in this country, most of the white collar job opportunities for blacks were in the government and the government is like everywhere else - you are far more likely to get hired when you know someone on the inside. Folks on the inside let their friends and family know about jobs before they generally become available, can give them recommendations, etc. Who do the blacks recommend? Their friends and family who are obviously predominately black.

Why was it that a while back pretty much all NYC cops and fireman were either Irish or Italian? same reason

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neopan100
I know for the fed gov. the application, interview, etc process is very long and tedious..sometimes from the time you put in your application to the time you're hired can take upward of 6 months...I think white people are impatient and look elsewhere. Black people will WAIT it out fo' sure. just sayin'
)

You are stereotyping both whites and blacks. Please do not do this, every person is an individual. Comments like this will derail this thread.

--GS

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
It's primarily demographics of the area where the jobs are located.
Most minorities do live in the bigger cities such as NY, LA, Chicago, Houston and Atlanta. The last 4 decades of affirmative action in government also puts hiring quotas on a lot of public service jobs.

I could ask the same question in a different way. Why is it that most mid western cattle ranchers are white ?

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Can you provide any proof other than your observations? If not then this thread is showing at the very least predjudice. May I inquire why you did not place this in Rant, because honestly isn't that what it is?

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Have you ever heard of affirmative action for social institutions ?
You need to go a little homework on that.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I think the imbalance that you're referring to is just the way the system rights itself. For a long time minorities could only apply for certain jobs and they were usually jobs no one else wanted. If you think racism has disappeared just ask someone who's a minority about their experiences. In a perfect world the workforce would accurately reflect demographics but it doesn't. And to those who think the "white man" is getting a raw deal just remember that all the high paying jobs(and not that long ago) were all held by white males. I'm a white male, my wife is black and if you think racism has ceased you're probably white.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Have you looked up the statistics and facts on your hypothesis? or is this just you going off your own experience? I am not saying your wrong it would just be nice to get the statistics on it.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

That's quite a stretch. I hate to break it to you, but an opinion does not come anywhere close to being deemed a fact. Do you have any statistics to back up your observations?

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by willie9696

Yup Im white, and guess what? My long time GF is black. So I know all about racism, and I never implied that it has stopped.

One thing that I find flawed about your argument is that as time goes by, the old generations die off, the old ideals die off and the new generations should not be held accountable.

For example:

Should I be punished today, because my white forefathers owned black slaves? Ofcourse not! My generation had nothing to do with any of it!

---On the other hand---

Should blacks today be rewarded or treated specially because their forefathers were enslaved by whites? Ofcourse not! because the current generation had NOTHING to do with it.

We did not make the choices that previous generations made, therefore we should not be punished OR rewarded for the actions of others CENTURIES ago.

--GeminiSky

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Why was it that a while back pretty much all NYC cops and fireman were either Irish or Italian? same reason
reply to post by dolphinfan

Let me qoute from the movie Righteous Kill. Where I come from it was either a gun and a badge or a hard hat and a hammer.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeminiSky

It seems that every DMV center I go to, at least 80% of the employees are of a minority class. Every toll booth I go to, is at least 80% operated by minorities. Every post office? same thing.

Every social security office? Same thing. Almost every govt agency office that I have visited, is almost exclusively made up of employees who are of a minority class.

---GeminiSky

there must be hundreds of dmv's across america, and thousands of post offices and social security offices also. say...how many of these places did you say youve personally visited? 2?... 3?... maybe 6?
OH maybe you conducted a survey of these offices to come up with your meaningful stats. and how many of friends did you say were denied gov jobs to be replaced by minorities??? please give us a number. two? three?...
or maybe your a govt office groupie and spend all your spare time lurking around these places
anyway you aint kidding anyone your here trolling and instigating...a hex on you. BTW my long time GF is meagan fox! TRUE! i typed it so it must be true

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by KritikalMass

HAHAHA LOL, A hex on me?> you just made my day! Thanks for a good laugh! Nope not a troller either. No stats to provide, just posting my observations of the NE usa area in which I live.

Please U2U me the hex so that I can save it for my records

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Here is a table for federal employees from 2006 and back to like 1994 – don’t know when the next one comes out.

Looks here like in general minorities seem to be represented in the workforce proportionate approximately as they are in society.

Not surprisingly certain agencies seem to have hugely lopsided representation of minorities; Like Indian Affairs and Housing and Urban Development along with some like parole and probation in DC. Some have more than 90% minority representation.

RACE/NATIONAL ORIGIN DISTRIBUTION OF FEDERAL CIVILIAN EMPLOYMENT

It's just like in the Army - it’s just a fact certain jobs attract minorities. There are so few black Soldiers in Special Forces if you have one on your team he’d be called Spot – the token black guy etc. It was a term of endearment trust me on that one.

Regular infantry seems to be represented much like regular society while mechanized infantry will be more heavily minority balanced - Airborne is mostly white and Hispanic.

Go to the motor pool and you will be serviced more likely than not by a white guy with a southern accent and a bunch of tattoos.

However, go to finance and or an Admin Processing Center for paperwork and you will invariably be serviced by a black Soldier. Same with supply or fuel handling.

It could be test score related or some other reasons but seems like the divisions didn’t change appreciably in my 24 years of service.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

A quick look at the stats that have been provided from 2006 it is quite obvious that the OP's assertion doesn't hold water. It all comes down to facts vs. opinions.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join