It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When is WHITE history month?

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
It is what it is.

Everything we have all gone through has gotten us to the point to where we are now. We've come a long way, we'll go even further...

Any time someone gets upset because someone is celebrating something, they should take a good look inwards and ask themselves why are they being petty over someone else's celebration?

When someone has a birthday do you get upset at them for it? When someone wins money in a lottery are you upset for their celebrations? When someone celebrates the birth of their child, do you get upset at that?

If not, then why are you upset now?

Don't drag people down. Lift them up. Find a reason to celebrate as well.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I'm white. And I'm glad to be white.

Thank you to the op and have a great day everyone!

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
REPLY TO "TheWalkingFox"

You said ....... "It's not a quota system. It's not a discriminatory system."

I think YOU are the one who needs to do research on the term"affirmative action".

FACT: Most of my life I have worked for companies where the majority of the work was military in nature. I hate to be the one to break the news to you, but they are required to have in their employ a certain percentage of minorities to be able to meet the requirements to even bid on government jobs.

You said ....... "The reason there are no "calls for affirmative action" in the NFL, NBA, whatever, is exactly like you said; the people there are the people who are most qualified."

My question is, why should that same standard not apply to EVERY facet of life?

You said ....... "If you have a black ancestor, you're black in America."

Funny, I have never heard that "rule" before, unless maybe you are talking about the KKK mentality, which I hardly think prevails these days.
edit on 14-2-2011 by Common Scarecrow because: add "reply to"

edit on 14-2-2011 by Common Scarecrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by tom goose

I was not alive during the segregation years. I really feel cheated, I have plenty of black friends and they seem to be the most spiteful! I mean, I have a harder time getting the same job, I have a college degree and have been overlooked for a few positions. It is more than just the job thing ,it's in the music and portrayed as if the same 1950's outlook . The sad thing is, is that I had nothing to do with any of this .What I am seeing is black parental figures in my area atleast, sell presc.. drugs,crack,coke,weed in thier low income neighborhoods and the baby momma or grand momma make that profit. In turn the young white ,asian, etc... highschool girls learn from tv that they should be with a thug.. Scary whatever??? This is SOOOO different from anything we've yet encountered in this country! I'm upset and not trying to portray myself as a racist, but feel my race is getting the short end of the stick!!! Black daddy+White momma= Black child White daddy+Black momma=black child

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Unbelievable, our caucasian era is left to deal with the anscestors that accumulated many extras from the slaves. Now we pay thier debt! These were well employed whites that were in unions etc..I happen to be making barely over min.. wage and looked @ as a greedy spoiled white man! SUX 2 BE ME !!! can't wait for another black history month W/ a parade to remind me

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by bonaire

I take my previous post back, Native Americans definitely deserve it more than anyone. I stand corrected.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
White history month is every month of the year, including Black History Month. Maybe if you took ten seconds to think about who's in power in America right now, you'd have figured that out.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by pr3l33t
White history month is every month of the year, including Black History Month. Maybe if you took ten seconds to think about who's in power in America right now, you'd have figured that out.

If they would cut out all the garbage with "white this and black that" and stopped highlighting certain races and skin colors with special days, special months, special organizations, and just thought of people as people, maybe, just maybe, society could get past all the ignorance.

The whole thing reminds me of that saying .......

Yes, you are special ....... just like everyone else.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Common Scarecrow

Making a big deal out of accomplishments by races other than whites is like.... I am not sure how to put my thought into words... Patronizing maybe? Like saying that most black people fail, but these are the exceptions. Does that make sense? When we celebrate abe lincoln's birthday, we celebrate his accomplishments, and celebrate it like it was a person that did some good. Same as george washington, etc etc. We don't look at it as "white accomplishments". When we celebrate black history month, or mlk day, race is brought into it. I just don't understand it all. 99.9 percent of people are just regular people, we work hard to provide for our families, in a few generations we are forgotten. This is how it goes, unless you are lucky enough to be in the .1 percent of people that get written into the history books for something, we are all nobody in 100 years.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevilJin
White history = European history, American history which is something you studied in school and live in every day as history is a living entity. Do you really want to be limited to a month and then forgotten the rest of the year? Do you really want "white" history to be commercialized and turned into a fad where people celebrate the history just within that month and not every day? Black History month celebrates Black American history - it has nothing to do with race but rather black culture in America - which is a EURO-CENTRIC country. There is no such thing as white history because you can't just base history on race and dismiss all the different European cultures.

If you are American, and by your negative tone, you are, why don't you become a scholar on American history? Why not find about your ancestors? Are you Scottish, British, French, etc? Learn about that and stop making this about race.
edit on 13-2-2011 by DevilJin because: (no reason given)

this is a total lie and hypocritical horse crap.

White history does not = regular history.

"Black History" exists simply because of the color of ones skin, not necessarily because of their deeds.

If it had nothing to do with skin color, then why do we need to point out the fact that they were, indeed, black?

Hypocrites. Totally freaking pathetic.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

What an excellent post. I did learn some of what you mention in school, and some of it I did not. I wasn't taught about Hawaii. Everything else at least got a mention, and some of it even got entire chapters devoted to them. I can't really say anything else. Good post, again.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Minor biological quibble, but... using the technical term of "species" - groups of organisms that do not reproduce together - the chihuahua and great Dane ARE different species.

The two do not - and cannot - naturally reproduce.

Wrong. First off, your definition is not technically accurate:

Speciation is not when organisms "Do not" reproduce together... it is when the two groups are no longer *Chemically* inter-fertile.

Secondly, the two dogs ARE the same species, but they are different "Breeds" or "Races" of that species, because of their obvious differences, which can and HAVE been traced to differing Genetics.

The Great Dane (18th Cent. French: Grand Danois), also known as German Mastiff (German: Deutsche Dogge) or Danish Hound (German: Dänischer Hund), is a breed of domestic dog (Canis lupus familiaris) known for its giant size.

en.wikipedia.org...

"is a breed of domestic dog (Canis lupus familiaris)"

The About this sound Chihuahua (help·info) (Spanish: Chihuahueño) is the smallest breed of dog and is named after the state of Chihuahua in Mexico. Dog: (Canis lupus familiaris)

en.wikipedia.org...

"Canis lupus familiaris"

The dog (Canis lupus familiaris and Canis lupus dingo) is a domesticated form of the gray wolf, a member of the Canidae family of the order Carnivora. The term is used for both feral and pet varieties. The domestic dog has been the most widely kept working, hunting and companion animal in human history. The word "dog" may also mean the male of a canine species, as opposed to the word "bitch" for the female of the species.

en.wikipedia.org...

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Carnivora
Family: Canidae
Genus: Canis
Species: C. lupus
Subspecies: C. l. familiaris and C. l. dingo.

The Chihuahua and Great Dane *ARE* chemically and Genetically inter-fertile, and thus they *CAN* technically breed.... although it would more than likely have to be a form of artificial insemination, I grant you that...

But they are the same SPECIES.

Just as all the myriad "Colors" of humans are the Same Species, and thus, are chemically inter-fertile, but distinct differences DO exist to the extent that you have distinct populations that share traits that other populations may not have.

This is known as a Breed, and in Human Classification, we refer to this as "Race"

As a biological term, race denotes genetically divergent human populations that can be marked by common phenotypic traits.

en.wikipedia.org...

A phenotype is any observable characteristic or trait of an organism: such as its morphology, development, biochemical or physiological properties, behavior, and products of behavior (such as a bird's nest). Phenotypes result from the expression of an organism's genes as well as the influence of environmental factors and the interactions between the two.

en.wikipedia.org...

In biology, races are distinct genetically divergent populations within the same species with relatively small morphological and genetic differences. The populations can be described as ecological races if they arise from adaptation to different local habitats or geographic races when they are geographically isolated. If sufficiently different, two or more races can be identified as subspecies, which is an official biological taxonomy unit subordinate to species. If not, they are denoted as races, which means that a a formal rank should not be given to the group, or taxonomists are unsure whether or not a formal rank should be given. According to Ernst W. Mayr, "a subspecies is a geographic race that is sufficiently different taxonomically to be worthy of a separate name"

A hundred thousand years of divergent, geographically isolated, evolution has produced the distinct differences that we observe in the myriad races of humanity.

IT is a very hot topic, and there are PLENTY of people that would state that Race is merely a Social construct, but we have VERY concrete evidence that differences in the races are Genetic, and expressed not only morphologically, but also developmentally.

In biology, morphology is a branch of bioscience dealing with the study of the form and structure of organisms and their specific structural features.

en.wikipedia.org...

Developmental biology is the study of the process by which organisms grow and develop. Modern developmental biology studies the genetic control of cell growth, differentiation and "morphogenesis", which is the process that gives rise to tissues, organs and anatomy.

en.wikipedia.org...

Caucasians generally have relatively no prognathism; a relatively small face; a narrow, tear-shaped nasal cavity; a "silled" nasal aperture; tower-shaped nasal bones; a triangular-shaped palate; and an angular and sloping eye orbit shape.

Blacks typically have a broad and round nasal cavity; no dam or nasal sill; Quonset hut-shaped nasal bones; notable facial projection in the jaw and mouth area (prognathism); a rectangular-shaped palate; and a square or rectangular eye orbit shape.

Asians are often characterized by a relatively small prognathism; no nasal sill or dam; an oval-shaped nasal cavity; tent-shaped nasal bones; a horseshoe-shaped palate; and a rounded and non-sloping eye orbit shape.[4]

It is important to note that many of these characteristics only have a higher frequency among particular races and the presence or absence of one or more does not automatically classify an individual into a racial group. Forensic anthropologists utilize the Fordisc program to help in the interpretation of craniofacial measurements in regards to ancestry/race determination.

en.wikipedia.org...

More reading on the subject:

"The human skeleton"
www-personal.une.edu.au/~pbrown3/skeleton.pdf

"Racial differences in skeletal calcium retention in adolescent girls with varied controlled calcium intakes"
www.ajcn.org/content/85/6/1657.full.pdf

"Racial Differences in Growth Patterns of Children Assessed on the Basis of Bone Age"
radiology.rsna.org/content/250/1/228.full.pdf

Yes... Race is a REAL thing, and it is related to population Genetics, Genetic Drift, and Taxonomic classification.

No amount of voluminous rhetoric can possibly diminish the overwhelming significance of that *FACT*.
edit on 14-2-2011 by ErtaiNaGia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
why do we have the term reverse discrimination in the court system? is it just a made up idea or is it something that is real and used to sway juries? why are black students receiving funds simply because of their skin color? do whites get that privilage?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by celimonster

You're very cute so I'll have to agree with you! lol

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I think the month had some false pretenses in it's creation. There is a my skin vs yours that I don't like about it. 'Black History Month'? What, do blacks think they are the only people who have ever been oppressed or even enslaved? Don't white people think they are under-represented?

By the same token, I think the month should be renamed to 'Slavery History Month'. I think that has real value. That's something we can examine about our past and move on from.

'Black History Month' is like "woah is my entire race," and it asks a black/white question to a country that is increasingly becoming both or neither. The descendants from US citizens of the 1800's represents just a fraction of the current US. What's more, it's unmoral to hold a descendant liable for anything their parents (and their parents) did.

Motion to make it "Slavery History Month"?

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by wiltondeportes

Motion to make it "Slavery History Month"?

Then it would have to be shared with the Asian American slavery of the coolie system of the west, the Mexican American slavery of peonage in the South West, and the enslavement of indentured servitude of whites in the South.
With a few token minutes played to those unfortunate enough to get trapped in a "company town" in the North.

-
Actually though, that might be a good idea and put things into perspective. Have a month going over all the people that where at one time or another messed over(discriminated against) in America. I think the only people that would feel left out would be Anglo(English)/Scottish Americans.
edit on 15-2-2011 by korathin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by korathin

Shoot, include Native Americans, and you will have covered it all.

Let's be frank. It's a publicity stunt that basically raises awareness to mistakes of the past. Any real student of that particular history wouldn't wait until that month of the year to talk about it. It's mostly for the younger generation to learn from. Anything more is arrogance on the part of the highlighted 'race'.

The whole discussion is kind of lame if you ask me. We are just putting up barriers by having events such as this month. Listen to the prime minister of Britain who said that multicultural nations cannot work. We need more unity especially in trying times we will be experiencing for the foreseeable future.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by tom goose

When is WHITE history month? Jan,Mar,Apr,May,Jun,Jul,Aug,Sep,Oct,Nov,Dec

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thunder heart woman
No offense but as a Native, whenever I watch History channel, it seems every month is white history month to me. Just sayin'.

Yeah I have noticed too and when we are on the History Channel we are the bad guys or they show us in Some Resistance Stance in which some whites hate

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
i was white but i changed to chinese 10yrs ago.

not workin out as well as i thought.

thinkin bout being mexican for a bit.

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join