It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When is WHITE history month?

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
Originally posted by ErtaiNaGia

Race refers to classifications of humans into relatively large and distinct populations or groups often based on factors such as appearance based on heritable phenotypical characteristics or geographic ancestry, but also often influenced by and correlated with traits such as culture, ethnicity and socio-economic status. As a biological term, race denotes genetically divergent human populations that can be marked by common phenotypic traits. This sense of race is often used by forensic anthropologists when analyzing skeletal remains, in biomedical research, and in race-based medicine. The study of shared traits among peoples is also conducted along ethnic lines, involving the endogamic history of groups. Racial groupings may correspond with patterns of social stratification, helping social scientists to understand the underlying disparities among racially defined groups of people. Additionally, law enforcement utilizes race to create profiles of wanted suspects in an expeditious manner.

en.wikipedia.org...

Cherry picking AGAIN?

You, of course, didn't want to include this part from your Wiki link:

While scientists use the concept of race to make practical distinctions among fuzzy sets of traits, the scientific community feels that the idea of race is often used by the general public[5] in a naive[6] or simplistic way, erroneously designating wholly discrete types of individuals. Among humans, race has no cladistic significance—all people belong to the same hominid subspecies, Homo sapiens sapiens.

Cherry picking works with people too lazy to read entire lnks.

You didn't even check the footnote, did you?

That quote comes from "The Emperor's New Clothes: Biological Theories of Race at the Millenium". Rutgers University Press, by Joseph L. Graves.

IT is not a peer reviewed article, it is a book written by this guy...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a5d26f8276c1.jpg[/atsimg]

and thus doesn't really have the scientific merit that the previous article has.

And that SECOND footnote cites a study that is as biased as it is WRONG by it's own Sources:

In our view, much of this discussion does not derive from an objective scientific perspective. This is understandable, given both historic and current inequities based on perceived racial or ethnic identities, both in the US and around the world, and the resulting sensitivities in such debates. Nonetheless, we demonstrate here that from both an objective and scientific (genetic and epidemiologic) perspective there is great validity in racial/ethnic self-categorizations, both from the research and public policy points of view.

genomebiology.com...
genomebiology.com...

What that article ACTUALLY SAID, that you seem to have misunderstood, is that some people don't know what Taxonomy is, or clades, or genetic ancestory, and so they caution against using the term "Race" as a catch all.

However, there is OVERWHELMING scientific evidence for the EXISTENCE of "Race" as a clearly hereditary taxonomic classification with real world meanings.

You are just being overly simplistic, and cherry picking to the tone of emotional appeals in order to obfuscate the issue.

Oh, and if *RACE*, as you "Claim" is not real.... then why bother having Black History month in the first place?

It describes a culture, not a 'race' as you and Ernst Zundel wannabees would like to trumpet.

The culture of being Black?

Really?

You do realize that different "Black" people in Africa have different Cultures, right?

And what about White people who live in Africa, or Arabs? Are they Culturally black also?

You need to get your terms straight, you are all over the map on this one.

And you think lumping them altogether into "Black" is a GOOD thing?

Honestly?

Since Black is not a real thing to describe humans.

Humans come in many hues, from albino white to ebony black... but that's skin colour, not 'race'.

Hey, whether you like to admit it or not, population genetics describes perfectly the effect on divergent populations whose isolation creates a loss of similarity between the members of one group, and the members of another.

This phenomenon is known as speciation, and it gives rise to a thing called "Breeds" which are subspecies in taxonomy, that we refer to as "Race" when speaking of humans.
edit on 14-2-2011 by ErtaiNaGia because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-2-2011 by ErtaiNaGia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
i think this is just dumb because if any other race went through slavery for years and years then yea we should have a month for them but until then the race that was slaves should and will get a month for respect i mean damn.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by tom goose

White history month is January, everyone knows that.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Ok, there seems to be some GREAT misunderstandings on the subject, so I have elected to clarify the matter for the record, and state EXACTLY what Race *MEANS* and *IS*

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/45f9a1b93387.jpg[/atsimg]

The Above picture contains the species "Canis Lupus Familiaris", two examples of that species, actually.

However, the two are not of the same "Sub Species" or "Breed"

One is a Chiwawa the other is a Great Dane.

Yes, they are the same species, but they are genetically DIFFERENT forms of that species, known as a "Breed"

A breed is a group of domestic animals or plants with a homogeneous appearance, behavior, and other characteristics that distinguish it from other animals of the same species. When bred together, animals of the same breed pass on these uniform traits to their offspring, and this ability—known as "breeding true"—is a definitive requirement for a breed.

en.wikipedia.org...

Human populations (Homo Sapien Sapien) are ALSO classified by clades:

A clade is a group consisting of an organism and all its descendants. In the terms of biological systematics, a clade is a single "branch" on the "tree of life". The idea that such a "natural group" of organisms should be grouped together and given a taxonomic name is central to biological classification. In cladistics (which takes its name from the term), clades are the only acceptable units.

en.wikipedia.org...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c379f8952263.jpg[/atsimg]
en.wikipedia.org...

In biology, races are distinct genetically divergent populations within the same species with relatively small morphological and genetic differences. The populations can be described as ecological races if they arise from adaptation to different local habitats or geographic races when they are geographically isolated. If sufficiently different, two or more races can be identified as subspecies, which is an official biological taxonomy unit subordinate to species. If not, they are denoted as races, which means that a a formal rank should not be given to the group, or taxonomists are unsure whether or not a formal rank should be given. According to Ernst W. Mayr, "a subspecies is a geographic race that is sufficiently different taxonomically to be worthy of a separate name"....

en.wikipedia.org...

So, as we can SEE (with our Eyes), that humans have several different "Breeds" or "Races" or "Subspecies", that arose naturally due to genetic drift and geological isolation.

Race is a *REAL* thing.....

The only people who do not WANT to acknowledge that, are people that do not understand population genetics, or have an emotional or political reason to be spouting off such WRONG ideals that race is not real.

Race is *REAL*, this is a *FACT* Get OVER IT.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
here, lets ask the founder of Black history week in 1926(then month from 1979 on) as to why a black history month.
Dr Carter G. Woodson

imo, if i can tell more of indian, spanish, native american, but boat loads more european history, than my own then surely somethings missing from the text books. equal representation of all peoples contributions.

but i guess i could just throw my hands up, and say "to the victor, goes the spoils" or "history is written by the victors..." as allegedly quoted by churchill.

I was that kid that got kicked out of history class for stating "africans did more than become slaves, asians more than build railroads and ghandi wasnt the only contribution from india to the world.and lets not even talk of the native americans and aboriginees of aussieland....they were all but wiped out for lending a hand to new arrivals."

edit on 14-2-2011 by ahmonrarh because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by alienspOtter77
i think this is just dumb because if any other race went through slavery for years and years then yea we should have a month for them but until then the race that was slaves should and will get a month for respect i mean damn.

I'm from europe... if we gave a month to every people we've enslaved, our calendar would be a freaking rainbow checkered fest which ironically would seem so damn happy it would be like we were celebrating the enslavement!

But hey... at least you got black friday! There's something fishy about cheap stuff day being called black.

We dont have that kind of official guilt feeling... we just have the "political correctness" word of mouth, which is pretty much fake. Europe has no shame of what has been done... its just too much for being ashamed of.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by taccj9903
I am going to start lobbying for the United Caucasian College Fund. I know there are plenty of under privileged white kids who need some tuition assistance.

The reason there was a need for a Negro college fund was that there wasn't much support for African-American teens back in the 1960s and 1970s. Segregation had just been lifted and integration had begun. This, however, did not change the fact that most blacks (I use "blacks" for brevity's sake) were from poor backgrounds. This is not an exaggeration; it is FACT. Even the "well-to-do" among blacks made less money than whites who held identical jobs (sort of like what is still going on for women these days --making less than their male counterparts in identical jobs).

Back then, there was a need to help gifted blacks who made good grades, had a talent and/or showed much promise. Education can lift people out of the gutter, regardless of race or gender. Unfortunately, blacks were rather poor and needed economic help. Sure, there were poor whites, too. And they were already getting economic aid. What the statistic illustrated, back then, was a disproportionately tiny amount of blacks getting the aid they needed to go to college. The negro college fund help to rectify that inequity.

Another program to rectify inequities was the Affirmative Action program. At the time, it was needed. However, these days are different. The biggest difference these days is class distinction, not racial distinctions. Poor people of all races need assistance to get into college. People of wealth and means don't need the assistance.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Where Is native american history month What The White Man Did To Them Was FARRRRRRRR Worse Then They Did To The Blacks They Stole There Land Raped It Of Everything They Could

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
First we give them February ( the shortest month ) and on top of that, its cold in case they want to have a parade !?

How rude.

G.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
O dear lord....................hit the dirt!

(second line)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by tom goose

When is WHITE history month?

it's the other eleven moths of the year when we don't appreciate other cultures.
what is being white anyway?
can't you celebrate your heritage instead of your skin color

GummB

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
LOL. Didn't you know that whites, especially white males are the epitome of evil and all that is wrong with the world? Political correctness shows that interest in white history means that you are a racist mean spirited bigot. I mean why else would michelle obama be ashamed of this country right up until her husband was elected president? Certainly she knows better than any dirty nasty white man does. Just for future reference, you should know that the only permissible discrimination is against straight white males. [/sarcasm]

Just for future reference, you should know that the only permissible discrimination is against straight white males.

I second that. White males are now the oppressed. We have been for years too. We have believed te hype that white (working class) males have always been more privledged but as far my whole life has gone......I have "heard" a great deal about how privledged I am supposed to be, but I have experienced nothing more my whole life than getting sh*t on. By people who say I oppress them, by women who claim THEY are oppressed, yet seem to get everything handed to them on a silver platter everytime they cry about it. (FEMINISM!). Where do white males go when women who are helped out by the government at every turn, become almost tyrannical in their pursuit to take what men have while punishing todays man for what men of the past did? Where do white men go for help? The funny thing about life (only funny when it's not happening to you) is that everyone claims to be oppressed when it was their ancestors that were oppressed. People today, AND YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE, are getting benefits and bonuses that they did not work for or suffer for and really, did absolutely nothing for. White men today, have no organization like NAACP, FEMINISTS ORGANIZATIONS OF ALL TYPES, Jewish anti-semitism leagues etc. So clearly if you really open your eyes and look around, stick your fingers in your ear so you can stop listening to all of the lies that people keep spouting out their mouths simply because they are getting away with it, you will then realize it's pretty much only your average white man whose being attacked and oppressed these days..............but if you ask them .......it ain't happening. Now i know there are some black people living in the projects and they do have a right to complain and get real help because they are suffering and oppressed and they have earned that right, but there are others of various cultural and supposed human rights backgrounds that are using black and female freedom fighter ghosts of the past to simply succeed in todays world which gives them a huge advantage over the white male. Women even use the sex card while preaching that they are working in a male dominated society. They wear low cut blouses, miniskirts, all that makeup, trying to look as sexy as possible because they know that a man will hire them simply because of the way they look. They get the job, then claim...."I am woman, hear me roar!". Nothing but cheating in the game of life. This is equivalent to having an ace card up your sleeve while playing poker. Then they have the audacity to claim that they got to where they are by hard work and dedication and being smarter than the men. BS. Man's world my @$$, get married, have a child and then get divorced..........when you're standing in court and your wife is taking you to the cleaners and you are lucky to leave with even your shoes on your feet, you'll know who's world we are really living in. A woman's world who has the sex card up one sleeve and the government up the other while men's hands are tied behind their backs. That's the real world we live in. I as a white male see through all of the lies because I have to live it everyday.It's not just an ad campaign to me like the tie a ribbon thing for women with breast cancer,....where is the one for men and prostate cancer. Prostate cancer is far more prevalent than breast cancer yet we have no one helping us out playing commercials for us day after day. Yes, white males are the victims today and the ones who cry about everything are actually getting everything handed to them. Why fix it if it ain't broken right? Seems to work.
edit on 14-2-2011 by Phenomium because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
i am white. i am proud to be white. for no particular reason im proud, but im proud just the same way a mexican, puerto rican, canadian, african, or any black guy, or any one person is proud. im proud BECAUSE thats what i am. i live and grew up in mexican neighborhoods, so i see how being surrounded by other races makes you feel more proud of what you are, just like how blacks/mexicans feel proud of what they are when theyre around us whites.

white PRIDE not white power.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ErtaiNaGia

That has to be the worst explanation, but the best pile of poop I have ever read.

Black, white, yellow, brown is down to evolution in location, comparing the human race to dog breeds is ignorant at best!

link   
reply to post by alienspOtter77

were blacks the only people that were slaves in history? do research, whites were slaves to, we dont want to say "you enslaved my ancestors. i want reperations" learn some history outside of america. i mean, damn.

link   

Originally posted by jwe87
Where Is native american history month What The White Man Did To Them Was FARRRRRRRR Worse Then They Did To The Blacks They Stole There Land Raped It Of Everything They Could

i dunno about far worse....lets go for bilateral destruction perhaps? slavery was tried with natives in the Americas (but that was like someone trying to slave you on your own farm, you know the land better than the aggressors and get away) so the next alternative was taking peoples unfamiliar with the terrain. while simultaneously wiping out the native peoples in america. you do know the tactics used in the Americas were disease, outright war and turning native groups against each other.

those that were brought over, from distant lands, didn't fair any better. if the trip didn't kill the newly acquired slaves, the labor, nutrition and certainly those willing to uphold slavery would take a few. and those things did occur.

“Seventy-year old Robert Newsome bought 14-year old Celia and forced sexual relations on her immediately and repeatedly. One night when Newsome went to Celia’s cabin to abuse her, she struck him with a stick and killed him instantly. Celia was pregnant for the third time by Newsome and was very ill when he last approached her. At her trial, the court was concerned only with whether Celia had a right to defend herself against her master’s assault. The trial judge made it clear that Celia did not have that right. To the court, Celia had no sexual rights over her own body because she was Newsome’s property and she ought to have submitted to Newsome’s demands. Celia was guilty of murder and hanged 4 days before Christmas in 1855.”

i mean damn, look at the way things turned out...the expansion of colonialism was a truly foul blow to the world.
India:1600s
Asia (kept the doors closed for good reason imo)
The Americas
The African continent:1652Australia:1606

you know, the craziest thing was that the EAST INDIA COMPANY, had their hands all over nearly all the colonization world wide.
edit on 14-2-2011 by ahmonrarh because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by drunkasshole

I think its more to do with majority and recent timescale.

In modern times (19th century onwards) blacks were slaves to whites on a mass scale.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Look at it this way - my neighbors downstairs are black - the mom works her ass off is a super nice lady, she's divorced from a drug user whose in prison. Her son is a pot dealer who has wrecked 3 cars she has paid for that he didnt insure. He got a girl pregnant who he can't afford to marry and the 5 of them live in a 1 bedroom apartment and will spend most of there life ignorant of the world in poverty and will likely continue the same behavior that put them there. This is a middle class neighborhood with plenty of opportunity.

I'd give the kid a job that pays double what he's making now if he wasn't such an idiot.

This isnt the minority of the black community it's the majority - let them have there day and there racist organization the NAACP who is for some counter constitution reason is given tax exempt status if it makes them feel better.

Maybe a few of them will even rise to the levels that some others have if they know there own history, know that there ancestors turned one of the centers of the world into a gold craving slavery factory and led it into ruin.

I feel pity for them honestly, we have some people people in Bamako right now and the locals walk down the street to crap in a hole behind the presidential palace. Some of the blacks in this country are only one generation or less removed from those realities.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I know it's probably a reflection of my increasing disillusionment but I really can't be arsed to read 17 pages of same old same old.
Suffice to say I really wish some people would get out of their ivory towers and stop talking such inane, opinionated, bollocks.
It's straight forward; there is no such thing as 'black history' or 'white history', they are just chapters in human history..

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join