It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mubarak Steps Down as President, Army Takes Over

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by hillynilly

Yes please tell me what happened in Iran. Let's see who installed the shah. I'm sure they were thrilled about that one.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
The Short Kiss Goodbye

Strange that just hours after a public speech which made it clear he had no intention of resigning, someone other than President Mubarak announces he has "decided to relieve himself of his position as president and the Supreme military council has taken control of the state's affairs."

Did I miss his farewell speech somewhere? After all this, he can't even manage a public goodbye? A "so long" wave at the airport? Is there a resignation document somewhere with Mubarak's signature on it? A napkin with "so long, suckers!" signed by him, at least?

Not that I'm a fan of Mubarak or consider him all that legitimate, but this scenario seems highly suspicious, especially now that a "Supreme military council" claims to rule Egypt.

Mubarak seemed committed to a non-military transfer of power, but now he's out and the military is in control. Fait accompli. The historical track record for military governments peacefully handing over power to civilian authority is rather spotty, at best.

Perhaps this is all well and proper, but I'm having a hard time believing we're being told the whole truth here, or that the military's role is entirely altruistic.

In any case, what remains to be seen is where this will lead. To that, I offer my best hopes and wishes for the people of Egypt.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching4truth
reply to post by Eurisko2012

Or chances are they won't.

Is that to say there won't be people elected who represent the Muslim Brotherhood? No, they are a political party.

But in every democracy you have the super conservative and the super liberal and the governance has to take place in between.

----------------------------------------------------
Time will tell.
I predict you will see more suicide bombers appear if the Muslim Brotherhood doesn't get their way in Egypt.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
For good or ill, Mubarak is now gone, and with him goes a majority of our influence over the Middle East.

Say what you will about the man, but the West (America, to be precise) knew exactly what we were going to get from him for the most part.

We paid him to play nice with Israel... he did.
We paid him to be a staunch supporter of US anti-terrorist efforts in the region... he did.
We paid him to keep control of the largest Arab country in the world... he did.

The two things I'm waiting to see are..

1) Who takes power in Egypt now?

2) What does Israel do when the new Egyptian goverment/ruling party/council takes control?

I'm happy for the people of Egypt and I hope they can achieve a true peace and realize their hopes and dreams of freedom, but we have a long ways to go before we can all start to really appreciate the magnitude of what is taking place.

GBD

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
[ Congratulations to the people of Egypt~!~ ]
Hope things get better there for everyone.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
So pleased for the Egyptian people!

This is hugely significant for the region and the world.

The Egyptians have shown us that its possible to be only 18 days from revolutionary change by ethical, peaceful united means. We can all do it as they proved it can be done.

I hope this revolutionary optimism sweeps the world.

Its time.
edit on 11-2-2011 by Malcram because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Congratulations to the Egyptian people!

Peace!

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Military Coo

Based on this Yahoo/AP story, Mubarak resigns, hands power to military, it seems the nation of Egypt is now ruled by the Supreme Council of the Egyptian Armed Forces.

Fig. 1: Meet the new boss.

Due to the consecutive developments in current incidents and which define the destiny of the country, and in context of continuous follow up for internal and external incidents, and the decision to delegate responsibilities to the vice president of the country, and in belief in our national responsibility to preserve the stability and safety of the nation.

Its own statement suggests the Council acted without President Mubarak's consent or authority, and that Field Marshal Mohamed Hussein Tantawi now effectively governs Egypt.

The Council's stated agenda appears benign enough, but it seems to me that now, more than ever, the Egyptian people are at risk of being burdened with a government they may not want. In particular, the Egyptian military's close ties to and dependence on foreign aid -- most notably U.S. military aid to the tune of billions of dollars -- is likely to be a significant factor in its decision-making. Mubarak complained of foreign influences, and I don't doubt this is one of the influences he was referring to.

The way the western media is reporting a military takeover in such glowing terms is extremely suspicious, and reeks of government manipulation. Personally, I strongly suspect the U.S. government has quietly given the green light and covert support for this coup, with an eye to controlling the future of Egypt for "stability's sake".

At the very least, now would not be a time for the people of Egypt to let their guard down, because their desire for freedom and autonomy may have already been hijacked by a foreign government.

edit on 2/11/2011 by Majic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Checkmate !!!

Soros wins again

another fine chess game
played brilliantly by the
puppetmaster and his minions
at the CIA.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
The "coup de grace" for this bloodless coup was the faux promise last night that Mubarak would step down and then he didnt. I believe that he was set up by the army with that statement so that he would have to step down.
Planned but better than the fate of Anwar Sadat.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen
The "coup de grace" for this bloodless coup was the faux promise last night that Mubarak would step down and then he didnt. I believe that he was set up by the army with that statement so that he would have to step down.
Planned but better than the fate of Anwar Sadat.

well it wasn't entirely bloodless.
Last count of dead protesters
topped 500 from what I read,
may need confirmation of
that number.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malcram
The Egyptians have shown us that its possible to be only 18 days from revolutionary change by ethical, peaceful united means. We can all do it as they proved it can be done.

you grossly over estimate the power of
a peaceful protest.

There were many hidden forces at work
which you have no clue.

The protesters were just the public
face attached to this regime change.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I'm glad they got their freedom and removed this despot.

Looking at the front-pages of the popular news-sites like Yahoo etc, I see that this event has already been slanted to be about I$rael and not about how the people of Egypt won. Pretty sad

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

So you don't think that people who were oppressed actually rose up because they couldn't take it anymore?

Seems to me that the old Regime was perfect for the "NWO" and CIA. Why would they want it changed?

any ideas?

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
So now you can see what massive protesting can do to a government !Well thats that and we all can go on with our lives
until the next one will start. Congrats Egypt

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit
I'm glad they got their freedom and removed this despot.

Looking at the front-pages of the popular news-sites like Yahoo etc, I see that this event has already been slanted to be about I$rael and not about how the people of Egypt won. Pretty sad

it's not sad. It's the truth.
Egypt was just one of the
Soros stepping stones
to get to Israel.

Soros has a few more
Islamic countries
to overthrow before he
can get his 1Million man
Islamic Army to march against
Israel.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAMIAM
What the Egyptians can do, the world can do!

No more Empires. No more tyrrany. No more control!

Let freedom ring!

dont to be sure about that what makes you think a new leader wont be a american puppet eh?

I have not taking any sides i am just waiting the aftermath of these called revolutions.
edit on 11-2-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

I hope so to, I hope they can get some peace but I fear this is apart of a bigger plan that will take a different direction than what the people are fighting for. Cheers Egypt! Good Luck

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I was wrong. I really thought Mubarack would stay in power.

Now that the protesters have won their chant for change, guess the next question is if the next government will be for better or for worse?

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
I was wrong. I really thought Mubarack would stay in power.

Now that the protesters have won their chant for change, guess the next question is if the next government will be for better or for worse?

Well you could look at eastern eupore and western eupore whom also had these revolutions they were needed
by the American government to create an European union and sliding with amercia.

And now just look how eupore ended up to be.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join