It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monster Storm Bears Down On Australia

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
im no expert and all but does this have anything to with the cyclone

NOAA forecasters estimate a 60% chance of polar geomagnetic storms on Feb. 3rd. They say a high-speed solar wind stream and a CME could hit Earth's magnetic field on Wednesday--a double whammy almost certain to spark some degree of geomagnetic activity

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

Tomorrow will suck, balls.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

Good thinking. None of this sort of thinking has been getting through at all. We have top find a ay to create some pressure because they are cheap bastards - caring only about the next election.

I think we need some mass - system in the epicentre. It can double as a central station.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Terry14me

cyclone alby did just that in 78 near perth mate and there are others too go on the bom website and go to records do it for the full time and you will see there were at least 6 or seven over the time records have been kept.

So to answer your question global warming think not and it isn't global warming it's climate change happened many times in the history of earth.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

We will be fine ,mate.
Lets just cut the good from the bad, realising this # is real and won't end.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
update from cairns cbd feed;

12:28 claireholmes-1: ok update from our place: gusty winds on balcony now. blow you off your feet wind. seeing signage flying down Mcleod st (not shown in video stream)
12:32 claireholmes-1: the stream makes it look calm but we went out onto the balcony. HOLY BALLS. the doors taped shut now!

12:35 claireholmes-1: the city will be the last to loose power peeps. if ur on the main grid that is! I hear manunda power is out. I can see woahh i think moroobool just went?! big black patch in that direction.
1:03 blargha: im atm in the surge area, however theres hardly any rain atm about 5 mins away from where its being filmed right now, not to sure whats going to happen...

edit on 2/2/11 by GhostR1der because: more comments

edit on 2/2/11 by GhostR1der because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
It is truly an amazing weather system, It has been discussed for the past couple of days on these threadswww.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Sky News: 9.5M waves recorded off Townsville.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Just saw on bbc news that people in queensland have been told that its now too late to evacuate.
My prayers go out to anyone caught in this storm, good luck and be safe!

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Information Bulletin 10:18 EDST: - ( Also posted in updated cyclone thread here

Bureau Of Meteorlogy ( BOM ) - updated 08:50pm EST / 09:50pm ESDT

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4454c612e5d9.gif[/atsimg]

IDQP0005
Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Queensland
Tropical Cyclone Warning Centre

Media: Transmitters serving the area from Cape Flattery to Sarina and inland to
the Northern Territory border are requested to USE the Standard Emergency
Warning Signal before broadcasting the following warning.

TOP PRIORITY
TROPICAL CYCLONE ADVICE NUMBER 21
Issued by the Bureau of Meteorology, Brisbane
Issued at 8:50pm EST on Wednesday the 2nd of February 2011

A Cyclone WARNING is current for coastal and island communities from Cape
Flattery to Sarina, extending west across the tropical interior to the Northern
Territory border.

At 9:00 pm EST Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi, Category 5 was estimated to be 145
kilometres east southeast of Cairns and 110 kilometres east of Innisfail and
moving west southwest at 25 kilometres per hour.

THE VERY DESTRUCTIVE CORE OF CYCLONE YASI WILL CROSS THE COAST NEAR INNISFAIL
CLOSE TO MIDNIGHT, WITH A DANGEROUS STORM TIDE AND BATTERING WAVES SOUTH OF THE
CYCLONE CENTRE.

Tropical Cyclone Yasi, CATEGORY 5, will continue to move in a west-southwesterly
direction and is expected to cross the coast near Innisfail close to midnight.

Coastal residents between Cairns and Ayr are specifically warned of an EXTREMELY
DANGEROUS SEA LEVEL RISE [i.e. storm tide] as the cyclone approaches, crosses
the coast and moves inland.

Higher than normal tides will exceed the high water mark with damaging waves and
flooding in low lying areas in remaining warning areas to the south of Ayr.

VERY DESTRUCTIVE winds with gusts up to 290 km/h are expected to develop between
Cairns and Ingham during the next few hours as the cyclone approaches. These
VERY DESTRUCTIVE winds will extend inland to the nearby ranges including the
Atherton Tablelands.

Due to the large size of the cyclone, people in the path of the VERY DESTRUCTIVE
WINDS are likely to experience these conditions for about 3 to 4 hours.

DESTRUCTIVE winds with gusts in excess of 125 km/h between Cape Tribulation and
Ayr are expected to spread inland overnight.

Full Bulletin

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/51e48542997e.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7ebd629bcbd4.gif[/atsimg]
Updated: 10:32UDT

BOM Tech Bulletin:

IDQ20018
TROPICAL CYCLONE TECHNICAL BULLETIN: AUSTRALIA - EASTERN REGION
Issued by BRISBANE TROPICAL CYCLONE WARNING CENTRE
at: 0633 UTC 02/02/2011
Name: Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi
Identifier: 14U
Data At: 0600 UTC
Latitude: 17.1S
Longitude: 148.1E
Location Accuracy: within 15 nm [30 km]
Movement Towards: west southwest [248 deg]
Speed of Movement: 19 knots [35 km/h]
Maximum 10-Minute Wind: 110 knots [205 km/h]
Maximum 3-Second Wind Gust: 155 knots [285 km/h]
Central Pressure: 930 hPa
Radius of 34-knot winds NE quadrant: 190 nm [350 km]
Radius of 34-knot winds SE quadrant: 240 nm [445 km]
Radius of 34-knot winds SW quadrant: 170 nm [315 km]
Radius of 34-knot winds NW quadrant: 140 nm [260 km]
Radius of 48-knot winds NE quadrant: 80 nm [150 km]
Radius of 48-knot winds SE quadrant: 120 nm [220 km]
Radius of 48-knot winds SW quadrant: 100 nm [185 km]
Radius of 48-knot winds NW quadrant: 60 nm [110 km]
Radius of 64-knot winds: 40 nm [70 km]
Radius of Maximum Winds: 15 nm [30 km]
Dvorak Intensity Code: T6.5/6.5/D1.5/24HRS STT: D0.5/6HRS
Pressure of outermost isobar: 1002 hPa
Radius of outermost closed isobar: 240 nm [445 km]
Storm Depth: Deep
FORECAST DATA
Date/Time : Location : Loc. Accuracy: Max Wind : Central Pressure
[UTC] : degrees : nm [km]: knots[km/h]: hPa
+12: 02/1800: 18.6S 144.5E: 045 [085]: 085 [155]: 951
+24: 03/0600: 19.9S 141.3E: 075 [140]: 045 [085]: 984
+36: 03/1800: 21.1S 138.6E: 110 [205]: 030 [055]: 992
+48: 04/0600: 22.1S 136.4E: 140 [260]: 025 [045]: 996
+60: 04/1800: 23.0S 134.7E: 185 [345]: 025 [045]: 996
+72: 05/0600: 23.7S 133.9E: 230 [425]: 025 [045]: 996
REMARKS:
The latest imagery shows Yasi as very symmetric showing a well defined eye with
surrounding deep convection. Dvorak intensity: Eye pattern white surround [6.0]
with OW/W [0.5] eye adjustment giving DT=6.5, adj. MET=6.0. FT/CI=6.5. Max winds
estimated at 110 knots [205 km/h] [AMSU/SATCON estimates at 125kn [1min]].
Surface observations indicate hurricane force winds extend about 50 nm [95 km]

Full Bulletin

Forecast Track Map - Issued at 8:54 pm EST Wednesday 2 February 2011.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c2c1086f78a9.gif[/atsimg]

THE VERY DESTRUCTIVE CORE OF CYCLONE YASI WILL CROSS THE COAST NEAR INNISFAIL CLOSE TO MIDNIGHT, WITH A DANGEROUS STORM TIDE AND BATTERING WAVES SOUTH OF THE CYCLONE CENTRE.

Tropical Cyclone Yasi, CATEGORY 5, will continue to move in a west-southwesterly direction and is expected to cross the coast near Innisfail close to midnight.

Coastal residents between Cairns and Ayr are specifically warned of an EXTREMELY DANGEROUS SEA LEVEL RISE [i.e. storm tide] as the cyclone approaches, crosses the coast and moves inland.

Higher than normal tides will exceed the high water mark with damaging waves and flooding in low lying areas in remaining warning areas to the south of Ayr.

VERY DESTRUCTIVE winds with gusts up to 290 km/h are expected to develop between Cairns and Ingham during the next few hours as the cyclone approaches. These VERY DESTRUCTIVE winds will extend inland to the nearby ranges including the Atherton Tablelands.

Due to the large size of the cyclone, people in the path of the VERY DESTRUCTIVE WINDS are likely to experience these conditions for about 3 to 4 hours.

DESTRUCTIVE winds with gusts in excess of 125 km/h between Cape Tribulation and Ayr are expected to spread inland overnight.

DAMAGING WINDS with gusts to 90 km/hr are occurring in remaining coastal areas between Cape Flattery and Sarina, and are forecast to spread inland and west to Mt Isa during Thursday.

Winds are forecast to gradually ease about the east coast during Thursday morning as the cyclone moves inland.

FLOODING RAINS will develop from Cooktown to Sarina tonight and gradually extend inland.

People in the path of the very dangerous cyclone should stay calm and remain in a secure shelter, above the expected water level, while the very destructive winds continue.
- Do not venture outside if you find yourself in the eye of the cyclone; very destructive winds from a different direction could resume at any time.
- Follow the evacuation advice or directions of Police, Emergency Services personnel and local authorities.

More Information

News Updates:

Ninemsn AU

Queenslanders prepare for dark, lonely night

A nemsn reader is one of many Queenslanders taking shelter in their bathrooms as the monstrous category five Cyclone Yasi bears down.

Jacki, who did not want her full name published, is one of about 20 people bunkering down in Rydges Hotel on Palmer Street in Townsville together with six staff.

"We've been told to move into the bathroom after 9pm," Jacki told ninemsn.

"We've been basically told that regardless of what we hear we're not allowed to leave and just to stay in our room."

Jacki said she expected that power in the hotel would go out soon and the lights were flickering.

"It's going to be a very dark and a long night in the bathroom," she said.

The Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) is predicting Yasi will cross the coast as a severe category five cyclone at around midnight (AEST).

Authorities have warned of widespread power outages as Cyclone Yasi crosses land, with a weather station that sat in the storm's path already wiped out.

Looking out her hotel window Jacki said the wind was growing stronger and "the trees are just moving all over the place".

Full Story

-------------

Bigpond News AU

Yasi travels slower but still category 5 - Wednesday, February 02, 2011 » 10:14pm

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c38512f8df28.jpg[/atsimg]

Cyclone Yasi is travelling across the sea at a much slower speed but it will still arrive at midnight Queensland time as a category 5 monster, according to the latest Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) report.

The BoM's 8pm (AEST) warning states that Cyclone Yasi is now travelling at 26km/h and is estimated to be 135km east north-east of Innisfail and 165km east of Cairns.

It is moving in a west south-west direction and almost 10 kilometres slower than at 6pm and is generating wind gusts up to 285km/h.

"We've been told not to open our window but if you do open the window you can definitely hear it," she said.

Full Story

edit on 2-2-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
More updates.

10.16pm There's been record wave height - 6.6m - this afternoon off Townsville. "This is the highest that has ever been recorded since measurements began in 1975," Premier Anna Bligh said. Similarly in Cardwell we are planing for a storm surge of over 7m over the high tide mark, Lucinda Beach 4m and at Cairns 2.6m.''

10.04pm Emergency services say they will not risk the lives of their personnel during the height of the cyclone. They warn that people should now be bunkered down in homes or among the thousands who have moved into one of 20 evacuation centres across the region.

9.52pm An email from reader Chris Beston: "I live in Cairns and I am an ex Adelaide person, its starting to get really windy now and the lights are starting to flicker on and off, just wish it would hurry up and hit so we can deal with it...".

9.39pm Powerlines are under threat and Anna Bligh has warned of "a catastrophic failure of essential services". An inland "spine" of transmission towers which has never been through a Category 5 cyclone will be tested; Bligh says if it fails there could be a total failure of power to parts of North Queensland.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Amazing photo of a tanker out at sea facing the massive storm front complete with giant water spouts.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e50c4e9c3c84.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Australiana

My thoughts are with all of our Australian friends. Don't stay if you can find somewhere to go, please. We know what a storm like this can do. Take care everyone!!
edit on 2-2-2011 by aero56 because: mispelled word

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
A bit of background info from a Australian

Queensland is a tropical part of Australia

People move their from other states, and just continue talking about how they made the big move to the beautiful state to get away from the hustle and bustle

5 years ago their was a cyclone, we pay taxes to rebuild plus get asked for donations
they rebuild
Then nature floods the place, we pay taxes to rebuild in the same locations and they ask for donations

now another cyclone... we will again get asked to pay extra taxes to rebuild these peoples homes in the same location again.

they will cry for 2 years, between 3-5 years they will continue telling everyone how they live in the best state and are away from the hustle and bustle, 5-6 years another cyclone will come and we will get more taxes..

its a cycle of ignorant people defying nature living where they aren't supposed to be living. and the rest of Australia paying for them to do so. Insurance companies refuse to insure these properties on acts of god, so when something does happen, the prime minister comes out and says, these people are ignorant to the fact they werent covered and we need to chip in to pay the bill and have solidarity with the nation.

since i was a kid i was told ignorance is not a defense
edit on 2-2-2011 by Vaski because: spelling mistakes

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by plexus

yeah they had the actual footage and video on 7 news about an hour ago, it was crazy.

Although the guy on the ship was funny, he was like '' oh it's ok with have this weather all the time ''

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by plexus

I wanna voice how annoyed i am that your post is getting starred for your updates....

Why do i bother spending 10 minutes on a post, gathering multiple sources, saving and uploading images to make the post more interesting and informative and no one seems to care....

Perhaps i should just give up. Maybe a 2 minute copy and paste is of better quality...

Edit:

I wanna add that i'm not directing this at you directly plexus, if anything you are contributing more than many otherds and at least you are updating people... keep at it

I just feel i'm wasting my time, seriously i spend 10 minutes on an update of not more sometimes... my thread seems to be overlooked because this has a more sensationlised title... i'm annoyed because i care.

Sorry wasnt directly anything directly to you, but the clowns that ignore real and prpoer news..

Keep up the good work

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by plexus

That photo is from 2009

retrato-personal.blogspot.com...

edit on 2/2/11 by Chadwickus because: Added link

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007
reply to post by plexus

I wanna voice how annoyed i am that your post is getting starred for your updates....

Why do i bother spending 10 minutes on a post, gathering multiple sources, saving and uploading images to make the post more interesting and informative and no one seems to care....

Perhaps i should just give up. Maybe a 2 minute copy and paste is of better quality...............

I found the information you presented very interesting and informative mate, so if only for me please keep it up!

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
didn't realize this was a competition for stars, i thought we were keeping ATS informed via news updates of any kind..

sorry mate, i'll stop and you can carry on.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

Some of us are enjoying your comtributions so please don't stop. I know it can get frustrating when small and random posts get starred so much but that doesn't mean your quality contrbutions are being ignored.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join