It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monster Storm Bears Down On Australia

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by plexus

why stop? the more info availabe the better, particularly when people here have family and friends out there!

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
I just found a live webcam in Townsville in North Queenland, if any of you are interested.
Townsville Webcam

Edit: a few minutes after I shared this link, it went offline

edit on 2/2/2011 by wickedqueenamanda because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by plexus

I edited my original reply but i wanted to reply again just to make sure you saw it;

Edited Post:

I wanna add that i'm not directing this at you directly plexus, if anything you are contributing more than many otherds and at least you are updating people... keep at it

I just feel i'm wasting my time, seriously i spend 10 minutes on an update if not more sometimes... my thread seems to be overlooked because this has a more sensationlised title... i'm annoyed because i care.

Sorry wasnt directing anything to you, but the clowns that ignore real and proper news.. Why am i posting news if no one is listening.

Keep up the good work
sorry again.
edit on 2-2-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
When you are giving updates about an ongoing natural disaster, that to me doesnt seem like the appropriate time for a masculine battle of "My flagpole is bigger than yours"

eidt to add- You are both doing a good job of sharing info

edit on 2/2/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

Thanks and the same is for you too, great effort on content and quality

I have to sleep soon so I am just quoting one last small update, i hope to wake to some good news

10.52pm The mayor of Palm Island, Alf Lacey, has rejected claims his people had been forgotten and said residents were bunkered down in homes and four evacuation centres. "We've been planning for these events for many years," Mr Lacey, who is also chairman of the Local Disaster Management Group, said. "Palm certainly is in safe hands and everything is in order."

10.50pm Police report a person at Innisfail has called them, asking to evacuate. Emergency workers cannot respond, other than give advice on sheltering, police say. "These are not conditions in which we can send out emergency workers," Premier Anna Bligh said this evening. "These are not conditions where you can put up a helicopter to do a winch rescue. All of that is now beyond the realm of possibility."

(I do feel sorry for those people who are NOW turning to evacuating, but honestly.. it's a little bit late guys.)

10.39pm Across North Queensland, more than 61,000 homes are without power.

keep up the good work Havick!
edit on 2-2-2011 by plexus because: additional information added

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Good post, I've been following this. Who exactly in the MSM decides this isn't important enough to report on? I mean, I've gone on a few big news websites and haven't seen a thing on this. Instead I see crap about Paris Hilton..

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Vaski

A bit of background info from a Australian

You fool Qld provides the food you eat mate, why oh why people post crap, you are a disgrace to call your self Australian, watch Australians At War ( ABC) too be at peace with this lucky country will ya

You will pay because we are one

Wal

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

yeah i know... i'm just annoyed. I started a thread yesterday but because my title wasnt as dramatic is seems to have been forgotten. I only voice it because i care and i do try to put effort into the news updates.

It may only be copy and paste and saving images and uploading but it does take alot of time. The OP of this thread hasnt been seen since the first post......

hrrm i have a headache

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by wickedqueenamanda
I just found a live webcam in Townsville in North Queenland, if any of you are interested.
Townsville Webcam

Been watching that for a while, the cam went down about 10 min ago.
Hope they are ok

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
1:22 Graphicnizor: Wind increasing towards 315 km/hrs near center, indeed waves are recorded from 16 to 18 meters high
1:22 patricq: townsville's power just went out
1:34 TomP123: A roof from an evacuation centre of 500 flew off
1:43 kirwandudex: wow im in kirwan (townsville) power out and wind blew my next door neibourghs roof off pretty scary :-)

edit3: bouy upside down so 18m reading is innacurate hahahaah

We're loosing many feeds at the moment 3 have gone before that power even went...

Latest satellite radar shows eye is about half way onto shore now... here we go!

Courtesy New Zealand metservice and unFREEz gif maker.

edit on 2/2/11 by GhostR1der because: img tag/added stuff

edit on 2/2/11 by GhostR1der because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/2/11 by GhostR1der because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
HAARP's way to silent Julien Assange?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
This is an excellent colorized satellite image loop (current)
www.goes.noaa.gov...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by squandered
reply to post by bkaust

Tomorrow will suck, balls.

Big ones, I expect! actually, based on what they are saying, the next 3 or so days will suck. Mt Isa is meant to cop a cat 1 - that's gotta be a first! This bad boy is going to leave a massive trail of destruction.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
reply to post by backinblack

Where did I say there was no risk to human life huh? Point out where I said that? There's always risk to human life in a cyclone event

You dont even understand what Im saying. The observations coming in have winds nowhere near 300km/h. Flinders Reef, which is well within 50 km's of the eye is only experiencing gusts of up to 167km/h, which is a long way below the 300km/h winds the media is claiming.

During the day, I never heard the media or anyone state that the winds at the current time was at 300km/h or even close. I did hear them repeatedly state that they are likely to hit that and that as it nears land it would pick up in speed.

I think it's more people in the beginning of the thread saying it inadvertently not relaying the full statements, which gave rise to people continuing to claim current speeds were 300km/h.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Dont listen to the media goto the source, the Bureau of Meteorology:

VERY DESTRUCTIVE winds with gusts up to 290 km/h are expected to develop between Cairns and Ingham during the next few hours as the cyclone approaches. These VERY DESTRUCTIVE winds will extend inland to the nearby ranges including the Atherton Tablelands.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a0dc08b53a40.gif[/atsimg]

Due to the large size of the cyclone, people in the path of the VERY DESTRUCTIVE WINDS are likely to experience these conditions for about 3 to 4 hours.

DESTRUCTIVE winds with gusts in excess of 125 km/h between Cape Tribulation and Ayr are expected to spread inland overnight.

DAMAGING WINDS with gusts to 90 km/hr are occurring in remaining coastal areas between Cape Flattery and Proserpine, and are forecast to spread inland and west to Mt Isa during Thursday.

BOM Tracking

Just saw on the news, even CNN world was reporting it to be more powerful than Hurricane Katrina

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by GhostR1der

Holysh*t, thats pretty full on.

thanks for the constant updates.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by 5senses

Yes, I just watched a news update..
BOM is estimating wind gusts OVER 300 km/h..

They are predicting HUGE damage...
It's NOT a time to play down the problem..

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best..
Great motto in times like these...

Man you are either purposely trying to goad OZ into an argument, or just not getting what he initially said.

People in this thread were claiming there were ALREADY speeds of 300km/h which OZ pointed out is not the case and that it was another case of the media hyping up the facts. What, you don't think they do that?

And you continually ignored him to rub his face in your efforts to prove him wrong, and NOW you're saying the exact same thing he was saying, and STILL thinking about it all wrong.

Potentially does not mean CURRENTLY AT.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

They may have meant winds out at sea.... as obviously at the time of those statements the cyclone wasnt near land, although out at sea the wind were at almost 300 km/h.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
-]

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by lewman

Hi there, I've only posted once before, but I know what it's like to worry about loved ones in areas you are not familiar with. My own daughter is driving back from the Gold Coast, (south along the coast from the cyclone), where she's been living for a few months, as I speak, and was way too close to the huge flood for my peace of mind, so I had to make an exception to my silence...Melbourne is down in the south of the country, the cyclone is in the north east, it's a couple of thousand miles away...I may be a bit out without actually measuring it, but, it's along way away and far too far south for cyclones.....bush fires and dust storms are their curse. You don't need to worry for them at least, but God help those who are in the wrong place tonight. All our prayers are with them right now I'm sure

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join