It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monster Storm Bears Down On Australia

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
I'm gonna post the updates in here as i want people to actually see them, they are also posted in my thread which i started yesterday and is constantly updated..

Information Update:

Worst cyclone in memory looms off Qld

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 » 06:42pm

Thousands of north Queenslanders are hunkered down in shelters and homes waiting for the most powerful cyclone in nearly a century to slam into the coast south of Cairns.

Category five tropical Cyclone Yasi should make landfall between Innisfail and Cardwell around 11pm (AEST) on Wednesday, with authorities confident they have picked the spot within a 30km range of accuracy.

The cyclone is powered by winds of 295km/h, and gusts have already brought down trees, ruined weather monitoring equipment on Willis Island, off Cairns, and taken out power at Airlie Beach, Ayr and Townsville.

Yasi will cross the coast on the high tide, with an accompanying storm surge expected to engulf low-lying areas.

Full Story

Bureau Of Metoerology ( BOM )

Issued at 7:05EST Wed 02/02/2011

SEVERE TROPICAL CYCLONE YASI IS A LARGE AND VERY POWERFUL TROPICAL CYCLONE AND POSES AN EXTREMELY SERIOUS THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY WITHIN THE WARNING AREA.

THE VERY DESTRUCTIVE CORE OF CYCLONE YASI WILL CROSS THE COAST NEAR INNISFAIL CLOSE TO MIDNIGHT, ACCOMPANIED BY A DANGEROUS STORM TIDE SOUTH OF THE CYCLONE CENTRE.

Tropical Cyclone Yasi, CATEGORY 5, will continue to move in a west-southwesterly direction and is expected to cross the coast near Innisfail close to midnight.

Coastal residents between Cairns and Ayr are specifically warned of an EXTREMELY DANGEROUS SEA LEVEL RISE [i.e. storm tide] as the cyclone approaches, crosses the coast and moves inland. The sea is likely to steadily rise up to a level which will be VERY DANGEROUSLY above the normal tide, with EXTREMELY DAMAGING WAVES, STRONG CURRENTS and FLOODING of low-lying areas extending some way inland. The storm tide will persist for many hours after landfall of the cyclone and secondary peaks may occur around high tide on Thursday morning. Higher than normal tides will exceed the high water mark with damaging waves and flooding in low lying areas in remaining warning areas to the south of Ayr.

People living in areas likely to be affected by this flooding should take measures to protect their property as much as possible, and be prepared to follow instructions regarding evacuation of the area if advised to do so by authorities.

Full Forecast Bulletin

--------------

------Top Priority - TC Update No: 19------

IDQP0005
Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Queensland
Tropical Cyclone Warning Centre

Media: Transmitters serving the area from Cape Flattery to Sarina and inland to
areas east of Croydon to Richmond are requested to USE the Standard Emergency
Warning Signal before broadcasting the following warning.

TOP PRIORITY
TROPICAL CYCLONE ADVICE NUMBER 19
Issued by the Bureau of Meteorology, Brisbane
Issued at 6:59pm EST on Wednesday the 2nd of February 2011

A Cyclone WARNING is current for coastal and island communities from Cape
Flattery to Sarina, extending west across the tropical interior to the Northern
Territory border.

At 7:00 pm EST Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi, Category 5 was estimated to be 150
kilometres east northeast of Innisfail and 175 kilometres east of Cairns and
moving west southwest at 29 kilometres per hour.

SEVERE TROPICAL CYCLONE YASI IS A LARGE AND VERY POWERFUL TROPICAL CYCLONE AND
POSES AN EXTREMELY SERIOUS THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY WITHIN THE WARNING AREA.

THE VERY DESTRUCTIVE CORE OF CYCLONE YASI WILL CROSS THE COAST NEAR INNISFAIL
CLOSE TO MIDNIGHT, ACCOMPANIED BY A DANGEROUS STORM TIDE SOUTH OF THE CYCLONE
CENTRE.

Tropical Cyclone Yasi, CATEGORY 5, will continue to move in a west-southwesterly
direction and is expected to cross the coast near Innisfail close to midnight.

Coastal residents between Cairns and Ayr are specifically warned of an EXTREMELY
DANGEROUS SEA LEVEL RISE [i.e. storm tide] as the cyclone approaches, crosses
the coast and moves inland. The sea is likely to steadily rise up to a level
which will be VERY DANGEROUSLY above the normal tide, with EXTREMELY DAMAGING
WAVES, STRONG CURRENTS and FLOODING of low-lying areas extending some way
inland. The storm tide will persist for many hours after landfall of the cyclone
and secondary peaks may occur around high tide on Thursday morning. Higher than
normal tides will exceed the high water mark with damaging waves and flooding in
low lying areas in remaining warning areas to the south of Ayr.

Full Bulletin

MTSAT

Images upto date as of 8:34UDT (19:30EDT)

edit on 2-2-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
what a damn shame it is that we cant harness this enormous amount of kinetic energy, apparently enough to run the entire planet for a day, should be enough to run Australia for at least 5 to 6 years.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
"This sucks like nothing that has sucked before"

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
I'm in Townsville, the wind is strong but not extreem expecting it to get a bit worse but not much should top at 125km/hr, further north wont have much left standing ,People between Innisfail and Igham will see 280 km/hr winds and possibly better.
Check out for a size comparison of the storm www.news.com.au...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by tim3lord

My biggest selling product involves the mobius curve = your avatar.

I am someone who faces troubles everyday and learns everyday, always wanting to find the good in the bad. Don't we all... It's my way of life.

In my head are ideas about rebuilding a cyclone proof city.
I don't see any long term thinking from our gov't at all - so surprising...NOT
Oddly enough, I thought the same thing about the bushfires.

Which leads me to a double edge thing.
Bushfire / cyclone proof = nuclear bomb proof in some ways.

Just wanting to make good out of a bad situation.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by squandered

One place to start is to make buildings with steel frames instead of timber...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   
This is the link to the Bureau of Meterology you can follow the cyclon live clik on Cains radar and set at 512 km
The radar icon is mid page www.bom.gov.au...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Hope you guys are heading to safe ground over there.

Quick question.
We know these phenomena,when fed by warm water,increase in severity and weaken when hitting 'dry land', due to it's fuel being cut off.(see where I'm going with this?).

How much 'Extra' fuel is this monster going to have due to the recents floods?.
What kind of extra impact and longevity in your valued opinion?.

I see a large supply of very warm water where there is normally land,but enough to power this freak for a few extra thousand miles,or hours? Idunno..

Be safe guys.
T.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Terry14me

Perhaps look here:

post by Havick007

It is a couple post's above this one.

Also the radar only really shows rainfall and dense cloud above Cairns, it doesnt give a bigger picture of the cyclone.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
G'day All,

My thoughts and prayers are with the forgotten people of the Palm Islands; our government forgot to evacuate them.
Only one evacuation boat came to get them but only the people who had money to buy a ticket could afford to get out.
On this Island most are on welfare and can’t get out, I’m afraid there will be a lot killed as the housing are below standard and the government knows it. Sad, Sad, sad!!!!!!

Blessed Be: Kernoonos.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Good point, in my memory Mount Isa has never been hit by a cyclon,and iv'e had 52 years of watching them. Never seen one on the west coast get as fare down as Perth but it nearly did.

Global warming?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Here are some streaming traffic cams from Cairns:

Cairns Traffic Cam

Location: Woree - Ray Jones Drive and Mulgrave Road Intersection (south)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Kernoonos

Its pathetic, how can a nation let them just sit there?
I heard the politicians today answering to this question, they said they made all arrangements and its a secured facility.

They must be going through hell right, this, moment!

Fingers crossed....

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by jonskie

It was only a year ago that Australia was the dryest place on earth, even the Sahara got more Rain. It really has gone one from one extreme to another. The weather down under has really gone cuckoo bananas. I knew it was going to be freaky year when in Sydney, a month into summer and everyones was still walking around with Sweaters on!!. This has never ever happened before.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
8.57pm Authorities fear some tourists in Cairns may underestimate Yasi's deadly threat - with backpackers crowding on to balconies at city resorts, posing for photos and chanting ''Yasi, Yasi, Yasi - Oi, Oi, Oi".

8.49pm The Cairns Post's Simon Crerar reports: "The cyclone siren is sounding in Cairns CBD and it is a horrible noise."

8.41pm At least one roof has been torn off, trees have been torn down and lights are flickering in the Innisfail region. Cassowary Coast Mayor Bill Shannon says he's seen the roof a building torn off near the council chambers where 500 residents are sheltering. "The eye is five hours away and it's already causing damage so it's pretty worrying"

8.03pm The latest estimate is that Cyclone Yasi will cross the coast at midnight Queensland time (1am AEDT), Sky News reports. It has slowed down somewhat, but a forecaster has told Sky News that cyclones are "notoriously fickle" and it could pick up its pace again. Destructive winds are expected from now. An hour ago, Yasi was estimated to be 150km east-northeast of Innisfail and 175km east of Cairns and moving west-southwest at 29km/h.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Heres the just updated aviation satellite feed I have compiled, credit to metservice new zealand and unFREEz free gif maker. Time period 2200 to 0900UTC and is a cloud top measuring satellite radar with cloud heights on left (FL450 or 45000 ft etc), radar will show slightly different things to infrared feeds most people are posting. The wall around the eye and surrounding parts are likely getting to around 50-60,000ft or more.

Credit; New Zealand Metservice aviation service and unFREEz gif maker.

Guy who was travelling around (townsville stormcam) has gone offline, only his home cam online now. It looked horribly windy and dangerous - so much fallen debris and junk already. As that energy increases over the next 2-3 hours it's going to be horrible for anyone in the worst areas, short of very strong buildings or underground shelters I'd say. Stormchaser in a big 4wd offline 3 hours before the storm lands. I think that says enough about man made objects of all kinds and their survival chances.
edit on 2/2/11 by GhostR1der because: edit to add more

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
My thoughts are with those in Australia, it has not been an easy ride for you.

I can only hope that everyone reaches safety, and pray that you will be looked after.

My heart is with you for safety and security.
These are difficult times to say the least.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wildeagle
My thoughts are with those in Australia, it has not been an easy ride for you.

I can only hope that everyone reaches safety, and pray that you will be looked after.

My heart is with you for safety and security.
These are difficult times to say the least.

^^^^^^^^^^^

This post above said it all!

I have nothing further to add!

Well, try to stay safe guys!

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by lewman

Man Melbourne will be fine, I havent heard of any news of people preparing in Melbourne. They just had the Australian Open for Chrissakes lol. Still hope your mum's ok

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

G'day Chop,

The government advised government officials and the hospital staff, as for the indigenes community very little was done for them as the former mayor tolled media today. I have to say that some brave hospital staff has remand behind to help these poor people.

K.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join