It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monster Storm Bears Down On Australia

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Oh no... looks like it has decided where it want to cross the land afterall and looks as if Tully just below Innisfail is going to be ground zero...
www.bom.gov.au...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
prayers go out to australia, hope you guys make it through the storm. This is devastating to hear
Hearts go out to you from UK. Hopefully this all blows over before it get too inland :S

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Tully was such a beautiful place I was stay about half an hour from their when I was helping rebuild after TC Larry. In the last 20-30 mins the cyclone has really picked up some oomph I dont really know what to say for the people only 600 km's north of were I am.... Very sad time indeed.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Vaski

It's complacency as well as ignorance at how bad it can actually get.

Last week we were on cyclone watch, didn't come fortunately but I drove down my street and you see one place with their caravan tied down with steal rope and star pickets and nothing lying in the yard. Then you go a couple of houses down and theres a half painted house with the trestles and ladders still laying round outside the house, a trampoline and kids toys everywhere.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by dniMnepO
Tully was such a beautiful place I was stay about half an hour from their.
at mission beach where the cyclones eye is crossing right now at midnight on the dot... kinda of spooky, mission beach is a tourist and backpackers central had an awsome nightclub and lots of great memories from that place, I'll be up their helping out again asap.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
2:32 MoorfNZ: Sky News reporting that 290km winds are develpping between Cairns and Ingham
2:39 fifi_cutiepie: according to abc the wind is stronger in townsville than anywhere at the moment
2:53 herro1: many trees in lots of suburbs in cairns are falling down, there is lightening at some beaches, and the industrial area in cairns is destroyed
appaerntly innisfall is pretty destroyed at this moment
2:55 SwarleySwarlz: innisfall is gone (GR: some argument to this.. we'll find out later)
2:56 wickedwillie: YASI OVER ROSS CREEK BACK ON LINE AND ROOF COMING OFF HOUSE BOAT
2:56 BearWithATie21: Cyclone Yasi now predicted to cross the coast at Mission Beach, 50km south of Innisfail, at midnightCyclone Yasi now predicted to cross the coast at Mission Beach, 50km south of Innisfail, at midnight
2:57 zodi22u: "Tropical Cyclone Yasi's eye is now making landfall near Bingil Bay and Mission Beach. "
re
2:58 xman843: Cairns Airport recording gusts of 85km/h
2:59 andrewburman: we ok still have power, looks like there has been loss of power across the road
r of spence st & sheridan st cairns
3:02 zodi22u: Innisfail got hit badly, ninemsn says their is small chance of any survivours.
3:03 andrewburman: power keeps cutting in and out (cairns iphone feed)
3:06 caQSau: SKY NEWS REPORT: INNISFAIL IS UNDERWATER, HUGE LOSS OF LIFE.
3:09 frankie35-1: Arlington Reef reporting gusts of 104km/h, sustained wind of 85km/h.
3:09 whit3Rabbit: Mission Beach is where the news is saying it's crossing now but man on phone is saying that
3:10 jacob_was_here: Everyone; people are saying that the tide is going out? could this mean a tsunami
3:10 jhoppy: Trees going down in Magnetic Island. Police receiving 600 calls this afternoon - now they can't go out. Roof collapsed in a suburb called Healey. Residents told to harden up.

edit on 2/2/11 by GhostR1der because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by GhostR1der
3:02 zodi22u: Innisfail got hit badly, ninemsn says their is small chance of any survivours.

Uhh.... what the hell??? dont post those sorts of things, I have friends their please show me the source.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by GhostR1der

Uhh.... what the hell??? dont post those sorts of things, I have friends their please show me the source.

omg, please tell me this isnt true...i have family and friends there, i have no television at home so i dont know what is happening anywhere besides the BOM

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
It's all coming from webcam feeds, lots of information being shared there, jump on ustream and have a look, many people getting it from news directly also. I can't get aussi news in new zealand so can't confirm all these statements, take them or leave them. We'll find out more as time goes on. My thoughts go out to everyone affected by this, especially my cousins.. they've had enough flooding as it is!

3:12 andrewburman: away from the cameria.... noices are from water, soil and wind hitting the window
3:14 Traiteri: who could sleep through this? It's like a jet outside
3:17 lukeh147: lower part of queensland is getting smashed atm 180km winds
edit on 2/2/11 by GhostR1der because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I would highly doubt this is true, although they have been hit severely.... the eye has passed about 30-60 kms south of innisfail

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quasar_La-Zar
I can't help but think humans are making crazy weather more common

It's called a cyclone. They happen. Check out Cyclone Tracy, 1974 that hit Darwin. That was nearly 40 years ago.
Will you say this again in 40 years time?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Yes Ive been following Ustream also and came across a mission beach feed which was up for 15 mins before 12 o'clock hit

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Not sure if this link will work outside Australia, should work in NZ though.

It's ABC news24 streaming... click the button under today.

ABC news24

They're showing webcams and have up to date reports.

Also no ads and will be reporting all night.

edit on 2/2/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by GhostR1der

c'mon Qld is massive, I live in lower part of Queensland and the wind is a modest 10-15km.... Area's affected are roughly 180 nautical miles in northen disc and 260 nautical miles in a southern disc

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   

reply to post by GhostR1der

c'mon Qld is massive, I live in lower part of Queensland and the wind is a modest 10-15km.... Area's affected are roughly 180 nautical miles in northen disc and 260 nautical miles in a southern disc

Im in the far SE QLD and there is no wind with clear skies....nice warm night for us,

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Just heard report that roof of evacuation shelter in Inisfail was torn off!

500 people were in there so hope they are ok

*They just retracted that report thank God. Now saying it was the building next door
edit on 2-2-2011 by Seagle because: news changed

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Nik Frew - my mum is in mission beach, just near tully spoke to her just then and they are in the eye of the storm, alot of damage....
17 minutes ago ·

Cyclone Yasi Update ‎150,000 homes without power in the Nth Queensland area - Ergon Energy
Aaron Henderson - lost a roof on an evacuation building in innisfail (Just found out this was false information apparently it was the building next door)
Michelle Hammond - In Townsville we've just had 66 knot winds.
Alyssa Vollmann - My family in Townsville on the strand are ok the wind is getting worse but they are safe for now just hoping the roof holds on as they on the top floor.
about a minute ago
edit on 2-2-2011 by dniMnepO because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by jonskie

Interesting news but what is this, the weather channel now? I can get most of this stuff from cnn.com or weather.com, not really conspiracy theories if you ask me.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Global stream of ABC news24:

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by rstregooski
Good post, I've been following this. Who exactly in the MSM decides this isn't important enough to report on? I mean, I've gone on a few big news websites and haven't seen a thing on this. Instead I see crap about Paris Hilton..

Ahh well that's fair... They're probably mistaking a Monster Cyclone for a Massive Airhead.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join