It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt: Internet down, police counterterror unit up

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
It is truly disturbing that the Egyptian's paid for their communication technologies in monthly bills and taxes and YET they can have them turned off at any time.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

Sounds to me they're like the equivalent of, say, the palace guard in the UK, or the secret service in the U.S. I think people are getting hung up on the name, as in a conditioned, alarmed response.

edit on 1/29/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by K8sarvesbarkooh
It is truly disturbing that the Egyptian's paid for their communication technologies in monthly bills and taxes and YET they can have them turned off at any time.

it's like having a mommy and daddy. you can save your allowance and buy your favorite toy with it, but if you get in trouble, mom and dad may take it away. this is why the original ideas in the usa constitution were better as they encouraged people to think for themselves and be responsible for themselves and not expect government to be mom and dad. cause once gov is mom and dad, you can expect them to act like it (albeit a psycho mom and dad in some cases. i mean, if moms and dads kill their kids in real life, they are seen as psychotic).

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
reply to post by undo

Sounds to me they're like the equivalent of, say, the palace guard in the UK, or the secret service in the U.S. I think people are getting hung up on the name, as in a conditioned, alarmed response.

no, it's the way it's being presented on tv. the implication is they are freedom fighters who are engineering the entire event.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by undo

Originally posted by Ex
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

The Muslim Brotherhood is the, or was the scare tactical police of Mubarak,
that kept the population inline. The egyption police on the otherhand are regular citizens.
That's why when the police first rolled out last night, the demonstrators were cheering them.
Then they rolled out The Brotherhood and the military, which is in fact the military police of the region.
This is setting off a rather difficult postion for the regular police, because whoever comes out on top.
they will answer too.

wait wait. you mean to say, the muslim brotherhood has been working for mubarak all this time?
and they were sent into the frey to stop the rioters? this is confusing.

More than unlikely. Take a look at page 5, where I quoted one of the Wikileaks cables. It says:

"The Egyptian government, said HBJ, has jailed 10,000 Muslim Brotherhood members without bringing court cases against them."

I don't think, they would play the GESTAPO for them and watch as thousands of them are arrested just like this.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien

China has blocked the word "Egypt'' from the country's wildly popular Twitter-like service, while coverage of the political turmoil has been tightly restricted in state media. China's ruling Communist Party is sensitive to any potential source of social unrest.

english.aljazeera.net...

Rather typical of China..

Notice how that bit of info went over like a fart in church...

Hopefully there will be no more Innocent Egyptian fatalities today.
edit on 29-1-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

Ugh...okay...thanks.

Arrested 10,000? Hmmm....

This sounds odd to me. But so does everything else.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
reply to post by undo

This sounds odd to me. But so does everything else.

no doubt. or as my daughter would say "i know, right" (ikr)
i was watching one of the reporters on fox talking about it, yesterday. when the word came out that mubarak wasn't stepping down, that everything was fine and mubarak was in control, he looked really disappointed. and then when word came out that mubarak was stepping down, afterall, he was all happy. you could see it in his eyes and he was smiling (which he wasn't before that when he was reporting that mubarak wasn't stepping down).

something really strange going on in the backdrop of all this.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
More and more report of looting.

Jan25live twittered earlier, that an official had said, the gov had plans to spread chaos like this. A few minutes ago he wrote, one looter confessed, that he had orders from the police.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Siddharta
More and more report of looting.

Jan25live twittered earlier, that an official had said, the gov had plans to spread chaos like this. A few minutes ago he wrote, one looter confessed, that he had orders from the police.

so are you suggesting the gov planned this and to what end?
oh boy here comes the conspiracy theories.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by undo
so are you suggesting the gov planned this and to what end?
oh boy here comes the conspiracy theories.

I just quoted Jan25live - not sure, what to think about it.

Right now I am listening to Al Jazeerah. An upset citizen is on the phone, reporting, that people drive by with cars or motorbikes, carrying weapons, scaring the people and looting.
He says there is no police nor military. He demands weapons for selfdefence.

"Where are the police now? They were shooting protestors. Now they are gone!"

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

MSNBC just showed Egyptian military vehicles on fire! One was a tracked vehicle, like a tank, the other a wheeled light armored vehicle. The protestors were also throwing rocks at light military vehicles as they drove by. Situtation is deteriorating rapidly.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I have been thinking on what is happening in Egypt for the last day and I am on the fence regarding Mubarak. On one hand the people deserve more freedom and prosperity. But more and more I am hearing about the Muslim Brotherhood... when I hear an organization that clearly aligns itself with a religion especially Islam I get worried for the people. They may not realize what it is like living under Islamic law.

In my opinion the Muslim Brotherhood are staying close and being secretive regarding their intentions if Mubarak is ousted and I do not like this.

This will be unpopular but Mubarak is a far better choice compared to what Iran and many other Islamic regiems have. When the dust settles the Egyptians may end up with less freedom and unable to protest as they are doing now.

Remember how an Islamic country deals with protest...remember the protests during the Iranian elections, there is a significant difference with respect to force and control used against the protestors.

This is difficult for me to say because I am Muslim but due not agree with heavy handed Islamic law...

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Cairo museum has been broken into, lots of damage and items stolen as reported live now.

This does not make sense.. why would anyone in their right mind steal priceless items that would be impossible to sell anywhere.. the items are of national pride and global history.

From the images I saw, it looks like a lot of the glass cabinets had been smashed but not much was taken...but some items damaged.. I am immediately thinking that this is a set-up in order to make it look like it was protesters..

either way it is insane for this to have happened.. you just don't do that..

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Siddharta

And you think if the police return they will be welcomed with open arms and allowed to protect the people from looter and criminals...?

My guess would be that they would try to help but the people regardless would see them in a negative light and be attacked...if I were the police I would not return just yet...

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
They don't. The military promised on state tv to send more troups for the protection of the people and even published a phone number to call them, if they need help.
edit on 29-1-2011 by Siddharta because: added a t

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Cairo museum has been broken into, lots of damage and items stolen as reported live now.

This does not make sense.. why would anyone in their right mind steal priceless items that would be impossible to sell anywhere.. the items are of national pride and global history.

From the images I saw, it looks like a lot of the glass cabinets had been smashed but not much was taken...but some items damaged.. I am immediately thinking that this is a set-up in order to make it look like it was protesters..

Or it's just like anywhere else in the world when MOB rule takes over. They break into anything people deem as having valuables. Taking advantage of the mayhem

MOB Rule

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

erm, surely mr. hawass foresaw this 2 days ago and had valuable items moved to a safe location.
i can't imagine him allowing this to happen.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by marinesniper0351

Don't you agree, too, though that this is really up to the people to decide? First off, it won't work any other way, and second, who are we to judge?

Isn't this kind of thing what's getting us into trouble all over the world, seeing as Islam is the new "enemy" for the MIC? Have we become so conditioned that we salivate at the words Muslim or Islam>

Again, why does this have to turn into a discussion of religion at all?

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Siddharta

al Jaz reported looting very early on in the coverage yesterday, and to be frank? That neither seemed right nor sat well with me. I think they're playing with words.

And, oh, by the way, while Rome burns....Davos panel sees huge Iranian response to attack

Also, the Saudi King is in Morocco and Morocco and Sidd just posted an interesting tidbit in another thread of mine about the king of Morocco alerting troops and leaving for his chateau in France. Wonder if King Abdullah is on the move too.

Just how many world leaders and elite are "out of place" at the moment? I think there's worse coming in the ME. Much worse.

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join