It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt: Internet down, police counterterror unit up

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Egypt: Internet down, police counterterror unit up

www.forbes.com

CAIRO -- Internet service in Egypt was disrupted and the government deployed an elite special operations force in Cairo on Friday, hours before an anticipated new wave of anti-government protests.

Facebook and Twitter have helped drive this week's protests. But by Thursday evening, those sites were disrupted, along with cell phone text messaging and BlackBerry Messenger services. Then the Internet went down.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
This is pretty scary. Following some big protesting activity, the Egyptian government has shut down most of the communications for these people, and it scares me to think such a thing could happen here. Sorry if it's been posted already, search came up empty.

Does anyone have any more info on this?

www.forbes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+16 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Haha.

They are so pathetic they have to shut down free communication.

What a joke the Egyptian gov't is.

I hope they collapse tomorrow.

Better get those private jet's prepped and ready to go.

Anyone who censors truth has no place in a position of "authority". They need to be kicked out.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by AcesInTheHole

www.zerohedge.com...

Text messaging has been shut down too. It seems they are doing everything to keep the protesters from being able to communicate.

www.zerohedge.com...

The Opposition leader will be speaking at the protests tonight.

I think they are going to have a bloodbath tonight.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Will be keeping a close eye on this one! They can't stop word of mouth to the neighbours who will pass on the message to their neighbours. This will just make the citizens of Egypt even more peeved wouldn't it?

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
They also had to halt market trading in Egypt today as the fears drove it down by almost 10%.

Tomorrow is shaping up to be a very rough day for Egypt indeed.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
It's like trying to stop water from flowing down hill, sooner or later, the water wins

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Better get those private jet's prepped and ready to go.

Lets hope a few protesters are smart enough to cover the airfield..
Wouldn't want them suitcases full of cash getting away...

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Hasn't shutting down telecom been a standard practice in the world lately when things go awry? Lebanon, Israel, Georgia...I'm sure there are more. Probably number 1 on the government to-do list when war or unrest break out...flip kill switch.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Yep, standard procedure. Keep the people from communicating and hope they give up. People think we don't have one in the U.S. That's a laugh riot. You don't need a bill to have a "kill switch". You just need to go shut off everything.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
That is messed up.I would say thank God that would never happen in the USA,But than again look at the news today.Scary stuff.
www.cbsnews.com... aign=Feed%3A+tech_talk+%28CBS+News+-+Tech+Talk%29&utm_content=Yahoo+Search+Results
edit on 27-1-2011 by Sabretooth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Anon has supposedly been targeting Egypt

piratepad.net...

#OpEgypt
Link to this document: piratepad.net...

Protests against corrupt Mubarak dictatorship ongoing. Massive rallies announced for Friday (after en.wikipedia.org...'ah, about 1 PM local time). International support of dictatorship crumbling.

Good idea to save this periodically as HTML or text to your hard drive. Use "Import/Export" function above.

Recruiting poster: i.imgur.com...
Press Release 25/26Jan2001 anonops.webs.com... (AR) anonops.webs.com... (EN) anonops.webs.com... (FR) anonops.webs.com... (DE)
www.youtube.com... (video)
Discussion: piratepad.net...

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by AcesInTheHole

counterTERROR unit? Rioters -aren't- terrorists.
i guess it goes to show you how the country views its citizens.
and why take down the internet...what good does that do?

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Hasn't shutting down telecom been a standard practice in the world lately when things go awry? Lebanon, Israel, Georgia..

Huh? I was never kill switch'ed. Did you say Israel for a reason? Or are you just guessing we'd do that?

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
This is the only time I've heard of a country shutting down their internet.

Reason? Protesting government.

United States wants to introduce a similar "law" enabling the president to shut down the internet.

Reason? You tell me.

You can't silence the truth and you can't control a free man. The best you can do is kill him.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Who controls the 'Internet'? The Pentagon? TIA baby, TIA!

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by againuntodust
This is the only time I've heard of a country shutting down their internet.

Reason? Protesting government.

United States wants to introduce a similar "law" enabling the president to shut down the internet.

Reason? You tell me.

You can't silence the truth and you can't control a free man. The best you can do is kill him.

because these fake marches are orchestrated online...by westerners...HE ISNT A FOOL. he know foreigners are doing this TO PRESS REFORM ESPECIALLY TO THE WEST AND CHRISTIANS...EITHER WAY THE PEOPLE LOSE

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Egyptians are not free, nor do they have any desire to be free. Egypt is a Muslim nation. Islam and freedom are not compatible concepts.

I think they are rioting against corruption as opposed to rioting for freedom.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
and so the purpose for obamas kill switch becomes clear...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join