It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt: Internet down, police counterterror unit up

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ear-Responsible
All it takes is 1 good one. And you're just being silly if you don't believe there are plenty out there. NO hacker supports censorship of media or the internet. I shouldn't have to spell this out.

I'm not being silly. Anonymous already declared war on Scientology, and all they managed to do is make lots of angry teenagers go out to the street with stupid costumes and stupid signs that say stuff like "LOL PWNED" or "CAN I HAS CHEEZBURGER??" .

I don't diss hackers at general, I diss the anon community.

Originally posted by thePharaoh
yea surely not
just listen to yourself...a group of teenagers...honestly...your not talking to OAPs here..

Do you even know what "Anonymous" are we talking about or are you simply mad at me so you post random stuff?
edit on 27-1-2011 by IsraeliGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by IsraeliGuy

They also didn't make much of a difference in Iran's or Thailand's recent protests and riots.

The military has the ball. They are the ones who can make or break a revolution.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Ear-Responsible

I love your post about anonymous, it gives such hope. I pray that this group helps the people of Egypt and all peoples who seek to have a voice, and are robbed of that right by repressive means. This could and may be us at some point in the future.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
STAY ON TOPIC OR POST BANS ARE NEXT.

There will be no further warning.

Do NOT respond to this post.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
@ThePharaoh: you keep saying "disrespectful" yet what does Hosni Mubarak's reign of 29 years in power say about his respect for the Egyptian people? is he really the only one fit to lead? and do you really support the idea that Egyptians are too dumb to choose their own leaders for themselves? what does that say about the rest of the middle east? coz last I heard, everyone else in the middle east looks up to Egypt...
edit on 1.27.11 by toreishi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by toreishi
@ThePharaoh: you keep saying "disrespectful" yet what does Hosni Mubarak's reign of 29 years in power say about his respect for the Egyptian people? is he really the only one fit to lead? and do you really support the idea that Egyptians are too dumb to choose their own leaders for themselves? what does that say about the rest of the middle east? coz last I heard, everyone else in the middle east looks up to Egypt...
edit on 1.27.11 by toreishi because: (no reason given)

yea they look up to us because of hosni amazing stability in the region during many periods when war was enivitable...he is a genious.

rioting in this manner they are choosing a leader in reaction....do you know what powers egypts president holds...amazing powers...higher than courts...if he abruptly leaves in this manner...then the next guy will have overwhelming power which hosni needs to have in check before he steps down... HE IS THE ARMY....not like the next guy...the next leader can usher marshall law in a heartbeat, start war in a second with anyone, he will be above law...TOO POWERFUL and it would be silly and dangerous for him to leave without reform especially in the judiciary.

to add, they can vote in egypt...it is a democracy why riot...it is to press hosni on reform change
edit on 27-1-2011 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

all that you posted rings true, but that's what having a tyrant in power gets you. incidentally, it seems some members of the army are sick and tired of their awesome leader as well.

And while the important part of the world may ignore what is happening in Egypt, after all it is not US banker money thay is being lost, they may want to consider this: according to reports, there has been live fire in Suez, where the police headquarters have been taken over. More import antly, according to the Guardian, we may see the first army insubordination in this city: "a lawyer and executive director for the Arabic Network for Human Rights Information, has tweeted that some army units in Suez are refusing to support the crackdown against the people." Which means the government may be about to lose control over Suez... And the Suez Canal.

Link

and when you say that what's going on in Egypt is being orchestrated by western powers, did you bother to remember that the US & Israel have the most to lose if ever Mubarak is deposed?

As for U.S. security and military aid to Egypt, which is about $1.3 billion annually, it does not aim to strengthen Egyptian military power against any external threat, as this would be contrary to the declared U.S. objective of ensuring Israeli security and maintaining Israeli military supremacy over its Arab neighbors, including Egypt. Instead, this aid is devoted mainly to strengthening the regime’s domestic security and its ability to confront popular movements.

Link

you want to blame someone for the current turmoil in the middle east? blame wikileaks.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

and when you say that what's going on in Egypt is being orchestrated by western powers, did you bother to remember that the US & Israel have the most to lose if ever Mubarak is deposed?

correct...which is why i think that this is to pressure him on reform not to oust him...coreographed

once he reforms...the internet will suddenly stop tweeting riot mongering material.... but this technique on a friend of the west is what i find disrespectful...the slack backing from the US while supporting the riots.....they could be forcing the hand of mubarak next time they need him.

he knows whos pulling this off....they are his friends...how will he react...??

REMEMBER EGYPT IS NOT TUNISIA....OUR PRESIDENT IS THE HEAD OF THE ARMY...ONCE THE ARMY TAKES THE STREETS THEN MARSHALL LAW WILL EXCUSE THE DEATH TOLL. so egyptian civilians are pawns who are set to lose bigtime
edit on 27-1-2011 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

so do you support the idea of deploying your military troops against civilian targets? your fellow Egyptians? just to keep Mubarak in power?

edit on 1.27.11 by toreishi because: posted video

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by RelentlessLurker
and so the purpose for obamas kill switch becomes clear...

Why are people so convinced they need a bill to shut down the internet? Guys, the only reason you do something like that is for show. You don't need a bill-You just go turn it off. You think they will care what it looks like if there is rioting in the streets? Most people in the U.S. won't care. They will be too frightened to leave their homes and will just beg for the government to shut it down.

www.businessweek.com...
Egypt Detains Muslim Brotherhood Leaders Before Rally

More crap to worry about.

www.csmonitor.com...
Joe Biden says Egypt's Mubarak no dictator, he shouldn't step down...

Just in case you needed further proof that biden is a freaking moron.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

(Reuters) - Facebook has seen a drop in traffic to its Web site from Egypt on Thursday amid anti-government protests in that country, the company said.

"We are aware of reports of disruption to service and have seen a drop in traffic from Egypt this morning," Facebook spokesperson Jillian Carroll told Reuters in an email.

in.reuters.com...

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

so do you support the idea of deploying your military troops against civilian targets? your fellow Egyptians? just to keep Mubarak in power?

look what im sayin is he could... if they will give him a reason.......egyptians know what to expect...the army mentality is so different from the peoples, they are looking STRICTLY at security....we have voting in place... so this seems like treason... they could get shot and he will get away with it...these are the facts.

gullible pawns...they are getting nothing but a weaker state after this

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

doesn't seem to me that having a stronger state has benefited the majority of the Egyptian people all that much, otherwise they wouldn't be rioting in the streets for their freedom. i mean, what's the point of living in a strong state when i'm hungry & can't feed my family. and you brought up voting and being in a democracy. is this what you meant?

President Mubarak has been re-elected by majority votes in a referendum for successive terms on four occasions: in 1987, 1993, 1999. The referendum in itself and its results are of questionable validity. No one could run against the President due to a restriction in the Egyptian constitution in which the People's Assembly played the main role in electing the President of the Republic.

Link

as to choosing another leader, you mean another one like Mubarak or perhaps someone else appointed by him? maybe his son?

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
What I've been reading in the past few hours makes this look like a cull in the works - I have a really really bad feeling about this. Internet and phones are down, US Delta Force-trained counterterrorist units are sent out to hunt, the biggest protest in Egypt is about to happen today, and the traditional riot police conspicuously disappear from the streets. Obama's slyly steered clear of any stancing on this one, but Israel has publicly called for slaughter. Any flashes of another Tienanmen Square situation, anyone?

Doesn't help that this US/Israel-backed ElBaradei has decided to take it upon himself to "lead the transition" to a more West Friendly Egypt... Very strategic move, TPTB - you get to trim the rebellious population while instating a better puppet who's disguised as a protester. **Slow Clap**

I want to do something, ANYTHING to stop something like this from happening... Running low on ideas, and the official protest in Toronto is on Saturday - a day too late.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by IsraeliGuy
Anonymous are a group of teenagres lurking at an online image board. How influental do you think they can be?..
One out of 500 people surfing in 4chan (eg:anonymous) is a mediocre hacker. Surely not anything to counter any government in the world.

Anonymous are disorganized, but since they started protesting against Scientology they ceased to be just teenagers lurking on 4chan and grew into something else. If they act as a voice of the people, keep their messages simple and can inspire them, they're powerful, no matter what anyone says. How many Tunisians will follow Anonymous now? How many Egyptians if their government is toppled? It's naive to think they're not able to help bring about big changes, or just ignoring the facts.

Originally posted by IsraeliGuy
I'm not being silly. Anonymous already declared war on Scientology, and all they managed to do is make lots of angry teenagers go out to the street with stupid costumes and stupid signs that say stuff like "LOL PWNED" or "CAN I HAS CHEEZBURGER??" .

No, they've helped change a lot of peoples lives and have continually damaged Scientology's reputation from the off. If you research into what they've actually done you'll realise that.
edit on 28-1-2011 by Hitoshura because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Regarding Anon and the ability to keep some line of communication open- I don't care if they are teenagers or the best graduate-level computer scientists on the planet; the bottom line is that in literally every instance the governments of the world control the hardware that lets the Internet happen in their respective domains. If the Egyptian gov't wants to cut off access, there is nothing that anybody can do.

Shortwave (or ham, are they the same thing?) radio is the only guaranteed way to stay in contact should TPTB get nasty. I wish I knew how to use one.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by AcesInTheHole

Al-Qaeda's second in command is from Egypt. Ask yourself why>?

Because Egypt is the worst Western back fascist regime, behind Saudi Arabia.

I hope the Egyptians catch Mubarak and his co-conspirators, then put them on trial, then hopefully convicted to death sentence, where they will be hanged in public for all Western puppets to see.

Bin Ali is still free, Muslims around the Middle East should use every means necessary to bring that fascist criminal in to justice, and his wife.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join