It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt: Internet down, police counterterror unit up

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Ampelios

Its definitely being edited, and orchestrated. The technologies to orchestrate these events are being broadcast on a global scale!

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by againuntodust
This is the only time I've heard of a country shutting down their internet.

Reason? Protesting government.

United States wants to introduce a similar "law" enabling the president to shut down the internet.

Reason? You tell me.

You can't silence the truth and you can't control a free man. The best you can do is kill him.

the same thing happened during last years iranian student protests,they shut down the internet and stuff.also i think they did it on 9/11 didn't they?

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I have been digging down some information on the events behind the riot in Egypt, it seems the Muslim Brotherhood is behind the recent riots.

On the Muslim Brotherhood English Site they have there own twitter and it seems they are behind it.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

What does this mean to you? Can you tell us why we should be concerned by this?

Also, in case you don't see it, here was my reply to you in the other thread you mentioned this in.

If by chance (and I'm not saying that you are, only that you might be) you are trying to bring religion into this, all I want to say is this. This is about the people of a nation giving their government notice. The world has managed to leave religion out of this to a very great degree so far, and that's a good thing. How about we keep it that way?

Don't Fear Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood

Ex

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

The Muslim Brotherhood is the, or was the scare tactical police of Mubarak,
that kept the population inline. The egyption police on the otherhand are regular citizens.
That's why when the police first rolled out last night, the demonstrators were cheering them.
Then they rolled out The Brotherhood and the military, which is in fact the military police of the region.
This is setting off a rather difficult postion for the regular police, because whoever comes out on top.
they will answer too.

Cario alone has a population of 8 MILLION,( think New York City),and all of Egypt is aflame
with the idea of freedom and democracy.
Rather than a propped up administration , that may I add has been collecting over 1 BILLION
of my tax dollars!

The event has Isreal whirling, because Egypt was the only Muslim nation siding with Isreal,
and this will leave them surrounded by arabic nations.

Complicated and utterly history making............
I wait with baited breath to see how this will play out!

His iron grip on every level of Egyptian society has kept the Arab world’s most populous nation stable, but at a price. It has exacerbated economic inequalities, kept most of Egypt’s 80 million people in poverty, abetted brutality and torture by police and in the nation’s prisons, and stoked resentment and Islamist fervor against the regime. Those are ingredients of revolution. With his health failing and his succession unclear, Mubarak’s hold on power is overshadowing Egypt’s want of reform.

READ HERE

edit on 1/28/2011 by Ex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Yemen, Egypt, Tunisia! The greater middle east is ripe with unrest.
edit on 29-1-2011 by moonleaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
This is a little theory of mine ive been thinking about I just wonder if Obama is helping this somehow just to show what a government can really do to its people. Making us think wow im really glad we are a democracy and how lucky we are that we have such freedoms and also how he can pull the trigger and shut down everything.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
I have been digging down some information on the events behind the riot in Egypt, it seems the Muslim Brotherhood is behind the recent riots.

On the Muslim Brotherhood English Site they have there own twitter and it seems they are behind it.

no mr agent usa...u lot were...u wanted reform change....now your gonna blame someone else....look check urself when you talk about egypt and cut the propaganda...EVERYONE in egypt took part...cut your lame hating proapganda ur pi$$in me off u lying snake....it was ur netwarfare not the muslims though now you lot need to worry about them...they could take over quite easily..

TO ADD EGYPTIANS MARCHED AGAINST HIS RELATIONSHIP WITH THE US- did u notice
edit on 29-1-2011 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
In a span of minutes, Egypt goes offline

It took just 13 minutes to wipe 80 million Egyptians off the Internet.

As the protests against authoritarian President Hosni Mubarak’s 30-year regime widened this week, the Egyptian government took the unprecedented step of ordering virtually all the country’s Internet service providers to shut down all connections, taking the country’s citizens and institutions off the digital map.

“We've been watching with horror as Egypt has been pulled offline,” said Andrew Lewman, executive director of the Tor Project, which designs Internet anonymity software that has proven vital to Egyptian activists. “There’s one small ISP left, and that’s the one hosting the Egyptian stock market.”

As with many dictatorships, imposition of a total Internet blackout in Egypt is one way Mubarak has to silence the Egyptian people, but they have already shouted as loud as ever online...

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
i think this is all the start

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Egyptian internet is back up apparently:

www.huffingtonpost.com...

And phone lines are back up as well according to English Al Jazeera

english.aljazeera.net...

edit on 29-1-2011 by AutOmatIc because: spelling

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Starting up in Jordan now

Protesters gather across the country, demanding the prime minister step down.
english.aljazeera.net...

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
I think we all need to vote for Obama's internet kill switch so he can do the same thing to us!

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   

China has blocked the word "Egypt'' from the country's wildly popular Twitter-like service, while coverage of the political turmoil has been tightly restricted in state media. China's ruling Communist Party is sensitive to any potential source of social unrest.

english.aljazeera.net...

Rather typical of China..

And according to one reporters comments i heard on the TV news last night, Mubarak might flee to England as his two sons are here already..

Crowds mass in major cities calling for President Mubarak to step down, as death toll from protests crosses 50.
ElShayyal quoted a military officer as saying that troops would "not fire a single bullet on Egyptians", regardless of where the orders to do so come from.

The officer also said the only solution to the current unrest was "for Mubarak to leave".
english.aljazeera.net...

I can only hope more do not have to die in order for a change to come about and that everyone is able to see how their efforts make history. It's also good to read that the army will not fire on Egyptians.

Carry on the cause...we're still with you..

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Its good to get the thoughts of the people who are right there so here's there latest comments and concerns,

Numerous reports from people on the ground confirmed that the situation now is the Egyptian Police (Amn Markazy) along with the usual plain cloths government-thugs/convicts are looting and stealing cars and making as much destruction as they can. So there plan is to cause as much chaos & destruction as possible, stick it to the millions of protesters & use this as an excuse to attack them

In general they seemed to have a good evening, Many protesters where saying the police where being nice, handing out food and just chatting and getting on with everyone who stayed out side,

But this morning it seems the unrest with looting ect is picking up and many protesters stating that this is the police and not the protesters, There blaming them on trying to cause and issue,
edit on 29-1-2011 by asala because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by asala

I'm beginning to wonder if we will see the military at war with the police..

That would really stir the pot..

The military seem to be verging towards the side of the protestors.

Interesting times...

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by againuntodust
This is the only time I've heard of a country shutting down their internet.

Reason? Protesting government.

Hell if someone shut down my internet i'd be furious and ON the streets too.

Because tell me... What is someone to do when NOT on the internet or on a computer, or mobile phone, etc...

Well the options are:
1. Do some house work.
2. Look around and find out wtf those people on the street are doing.
3. Go to work but cant get there due to rioting on the streets.
4. Some how get to work but cant use the computers because the internet is down and everything is reliant on the internet nowadays.
5. Protest government and make them put the internet back on.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by DragonTattooz

I think you are quite ignorant in your assumptions.

Can we refrain from these idiotic blanket statements? They do nothing for the intelligence of this site.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
People are gathering in huge numbers in the streets today again, right now!

The big protest is scheduled to take place today 3pm local time.

Al Jazeera English: Live Stream

english.aljazeera.net...
edit on 29-1-2011 by Chevalerous because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
"Military strategists and commanders must come to think in terms of psychological precision....shaping a military operation so as to attain the desired attitudes, beliefs, and perceptions on the part of both the enemy and other observers, whether noncombatants in the area of operations or global audiences."

www.au.af.mil...

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join