It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STATE of the UNION Address, 1-25-2011

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
If Obama was persuade the big bankers who control the Fed and other economic powers to invest heavily in American infrastructure through P3's (public private partnerships), while forging a new global economic multi-lateral alliance, all on the basis that the US is still by far the engine driving the emerging global economy and that it is therefore in EVERYONE's best interest to have a growing US economy, while at the same time making good on his promise to re-structure and streamline the US government and enact education reform and illegal immigration, then that would be quite the accomplishment. Also, given that the US is unlikely to have to wage an all out war against any one nation state, while of course retaining its military supremecy as a deterrent, why could he not slash the budget for military spending by a quarter or even half in the interest of facilitating a forced transformation of the US military into an elite precision strike force employing high technology (as opposed to conventional warfare, now a thing of the past, or soon). He could then, in a second term, "win the future" for the American people, regardless of whether some people dislike him or not.

I Agree

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by BDIZZLE356
Everyone uses a teleprompter, Bush didn't and he sounded half retarded all the time, this is insane, you wont even listen to what he has to say because he uses a teleprompter and didn't write his speech?

In this day and age where every little twist of the lip is scrutinized under a microscope to the nth degree - - - anyone in this high office not using a teleprompter and speech writer to make sure every single word is delivered correctly - - is an idiot.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by SirKnightE
Does everybody hate Obama....I'm not to political, but I am all for the sh!t he is addressing.... Eduction, free energy, stoping big oil companies, improving technology, rebuilding America....whats so wrong???

I don't. Obama said when he took office he would systematically and methodically study and address each subject after the study was complete. There would not be any "from the gut" decisions.

As I see it - - that is exactly what he has done.

And if you pull up the REAL facts of what he has accomplished - - its quite a lot.

Is it perfect? NO - but name anyone who could claim that.

And he was handed a huge mess.

I agree, but I wish he would have repealed some the laws and Executive orders Bush signed into law, which allow for the POTUS and the Executive Branch, under almost any threat or excuse or false flag back-op, to become a dictator, such that whatever is LEFT of the Republic would be annihilated. Why retain all those powers if not merely for power's own sake, that's what bothers me about Obama, the continuation of Bush/Cheney policy and legacy. There are plenty of provisions in place for dealing with any number of emergencies, but there's no need to anticipate a police state crack down against an insurrection, turning the USA into some variation of 1940's Germany. He's done nothing to undo all the Bush/Cheney disgraces and abuses of power, and that in itself is a disgrace, imho.

And what of his jest about the TSA's fondling of the American public's breasts and genitals ("pat downs"), what was THAT about..? And what is that policy REALLY all about...?

edit on 26-1-2011 by NewAgeMan because: edit

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Whats wrong with the SOTU, address is Obama, ran his gator for over an hour just trying to convince us, the people that he can and will materialize Disney land rides for the people. New jobs? Yet our trade deficits are horrendous. Better education? That takes more money, slash the deficit yet keep spending? I dunno felt like he did not believe what he was reading and it sounded lame as crap. A good politician can lie good, and my opinion about that address was he lied horrible. We live in America not Disney world and he is defiantly not Walt Disney, and I am not a six year old. I am also sick and tired of hearing people talk about fixing things in the economy and the country, I want to see them do it now, I was given a health care law I did not ask for, I asked for jobs and money so I can afford health care not be given a law telling me I have to somehow buy health care when I do not have a job. Its going to be a wreck when the health insurance mandate comes into effect and people will have to give up their cell phones or telephones or internet or whatever ways to socialize and network themselves to find jobs, when they have to buy health insurance instead, and if we are all forced to go onto obama Medicaid or whatever it is called and unemployment is still around 10 percent the system is going to break in half. No, no thou no one wants to read about that or hear about it, instead they will listen to mickey mouse tell us we are in Disney World. I mean that is just one problem.
Not to mention almost all people working are underemployed service workers in America. Service workers. I dunno I am just disappointed a lil I guess watching the American, dollar get sabotaged is disgusting. I guess this is what is suppose to happen.
I just wish our government was honest with us more.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I just watched a replay and I was right I did not miss much.I was watching a segment with a focus group and those people are so trapped into the left/right scam it's tragic to watch that's the ultimate purpose the SOTU speech it's one of the tools that are used by the TPTB to keep people buying into the system and voting.As for Obama's vision for the future of the nation? all this talk about our infrastructure,education,technology and clean energy? Not gonna happen as long as Big Oil and all the special interests are around.We had the usual tough talk about the war of terrorism yeah,great.Here's the truth we will never leave the Mid-east and Eurasia.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Bicent76

What do you think of his ideas about education reform, so that Americans can ah communicate more efficiently and deploy their creative genious in new, innovative ways, surely that's the foundation of a healthy America, at all levels, to reverse the dumbing down process that seems to be turning the average American citizen into a mindless jellyfish who, although they may even possess a college education, can still hardly read and write up to the standards of the rest of the Civilized world.
I've seen educated adults even here on ATS who cannot effectively communicate their ideas in writing and who's spelling and grammer is just atrocious. From a Canadian perspective, these people are at about a grade eight or nine level of functionality in terms of their use of language and their critical thinking and faculty of reason.
It's painful to watch grown adults, even those claiming to be educated, expressing themselves no better than a kid in gradeschool, and it's getting worse all the time.

Intellectual capital development MUST be the first order of business in resurrecting the USA as a model of Civilized leadership in the world.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

He's done nothing to undo all the Bush/Cheney disgraces and abuses of power, and that in itself is a disgrace, imho.

Actually - he has reversed some. The only one I can think of off hand is on Conservation/Foresting.

How important really is the TSA pat downs on scale of importance? Personally - I'd require everyone to change into special jumpsuits and go through the body scanner. Unless they have a medical exemption. But that's a different thread of its own.

I don't think in any way we know what is actually going on behind the scenes (of course we can speculate and be all conspiratory - - but we really do not know).

The presidency is not ONE person. And I'm sure there are some behind the scenes that understand some of the decisions made in the previous presidency.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

What do you think of his ideas about education reform, so that Americans can ah communicate more efficiently and deploy their creative genious in new, innovative ways, surely that's the foundation of a healthy America, at all levels, to reverse the dumbing down process that seems to be turning the average American citizen into a mindless jellyfish who, although they may even possess a college education, can still hardly read and write up to the standards of the rest of the Civilized world.
I've seen educated adults even here on ATS who cannot effectively communicate their ideas in writing and who's spelling and grammer is just atrocious. From a Canadian perspective, these people are at about a grade eight or nine level of functionality in terms of their use of language and their critical thinking and faculty of reason.
It's painful to watch grown adults, even those claiming to be educated, expressing themselves no better than a kid in gradeschool, and it's getting worse all the time.

Intellectual capital development MUST be the first order of business in resurrecting the USA as a model of Civilized leadership in the world.

last I checked since I have been breathing a president is always preaching about education reform. I guess its just a constant reform. I guess one day they will get it right. I think knowledge is power, and I am one of the educated that can examine this expression from the United States government, and just be able to call a spade a spade here. If giving up on this generation seems to be the agenda, and investing in the educational process for the next generation, and jobs and other notions that can and will make the way of life easier for this generation in America, are on the back burner, I do not see this as a solution, yet perhaps if this is a actuality in the mindset of the thinking tank and advisers of out leaders of America, it would make sense I suppose to just treat us or talk to us like we are morons.

yep one day they will get that education reform right.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by BDIZZLE356
Everyone uses a teleprompter, Bush didn't and he sounded half retarded all the time, this is insane, you wont even listen to what he has to say because he uses a teleprompter and didn't write his speech?

In this day and age where every little twist of the lip is scrutinized under a microscope to the nth degree - - - anyone in this high office not using a teleprompter and speech writer to make sure every single word is delivered correctly - - is an idiot.

Why is being honest with who you are an idiot? If someone makes a few speaking mistakes, what does it matter? Anyone using a teleprompter or speech writer shouldn't be trusted.

This just highlights again the absurdity of American politics. Your happy with your Presidents and Politicians deliving messages wrote by others, and presenting them as their own?

It's so crazy and superficial its unreal. We all know politics is theater, but you're happy with it?

Also you contradict yourself. Obama has nothing to say. He's repeating what has been wrote. To accuse someone of refusing to listen to "what he has to say" is misleading, as what he has to say is not his own.

And everyone knows you ignore politicians. They're to be watched and observed, not listened to. His actions represent what he's about. And his actions aren't very good.
edit on 26-1-2011 by NadaCambia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by KaiserSoze

Originally posted by NadaCambia
Watching American politics is like watching a TV show or a movie. It's not real in the slightest. You can see how coordinated and false it is from a while away.

I'm surprised the rest of the politician scum didn't break out with the USA! USA! chants. It was that bad

Bravo!

I'm always stunned at how many here buy this crap. Fans of both sides parrot the nonsensical BS talking points without the slightest thought to what they are saying / repeating. Many of the politician's statements are so absurd it would be funny were they not such a vicious insult to our intelligence.

Watching American politics is like watching a TV show or a movie, I just can't tell if it is a sitcom or horror.

It really is insane how many people, on ATS of all places, accept this to be normal. As a foreigner you hear about Americans being overtly patriotic and the propoganda of the establishment, but this speech really brought it home.

I still can't believe people are still buying Obamas crap. I said years ago he was the black-American version of Tony Blair, and he sure is. A pro-Establishment, war mongering lunatic parading around as a Dem.

I'd go as far as saying Obama is worse than Bush. In that he's muted the anti-war movement on the left. Infact he's muted half the left fullstop. More importantly, he's a liar. Bush atleast told you he was a scumbag

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Anyone using a teleprompter or speech writer shouldn't be trusted.

I will simply repeat. The Presidency is not ONE person. Everyone involved with the presidency is a part of it - - including speech writers - - - who I also doubt work alone.

I really miss the ignore button sometimes.

edit on 26-1-2011 by Annee because: quotes

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
He wants to spend more money and raise the debt limit. Yay!

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by KaiserSoze

Watching American politics is like watching a TV show or a movie. It's not real in the slightest. You can see how coordinated and false it is from a while away.

I'm surprised the rest of the politician scum didn't break out with the USA! USA! chants. It was that bad

Bravo!

I'm always stunned at how many here buy this crap. Fans of both sides parrot the nonsensical BS talking points without the slightest thought to what they are saying / repeating. Many of the politician's statements are so absurd it would be funny were they not such a vicious insult to our intelligence.

Watching American politics is like watching a TV show or a movie, I just can't tell if it is a sitcom or horror.

It really is insane how many people, on ATS of all places, accept this to be normal. As a foreigner you hear about Americans being overtly patriotic and the propoganda of the establishment, but this speech really brought it home.

I still can't believe people are still buying Obamas crap. I said years ago he was the black-American version of Tony Blair, and he sure is. A pro-Establishment, war mongering lunatic parading around as a Dem.

I'd go as far as saying Obama is worse than Bush. In that he's muted the anti-war movement on the left. Infact he's muted half the left fullstop. More importantly, he's a liar. Bush atleast told you he was a scumbag

To be honest, by here I meant Amerika as a whole. I find the ATS crowd to be much more intelligent then the general population I meet everyday "on the street", infer from that what you wish. I spoke to someone in his 70's who considers himself conservative who explained to me how the Chinese, Soviets and Nazis had / have state run media and propaganda. Then he told me how good it was that can't happen here. I was floored, the big 3 broadcast channels are all telling the same stories, just coming from different mouths. Newspapers and radio are essentially the same. People watch, listen or read and just parrot what they are told as if it's simply fact and anyone questioning it is a mentally ill conspiracy theorist.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by KaiserSoze

and radio are essentially the same. People watch, listen or read and just parrot what they are told as if it's simply fact and anyone questioning it is a mentally ill conspiracy theorist.

I agree with you here, it is frustrating.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Yep, my father is in his 60's and said the same thing, they've been preaching educational reform ever since he has been alive, more boilerplate talk. They keep trying to fix it and it keeps sliding further down the tubes.

As Dick Morris pointed out, at least this time Mr. Obama actually mentioned American Exceptionalism and what it means to be an American. That is standard fare for any American President, but exceptional for this president.
edit on 26-1-2011 by bigrex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Anyone using a teleprompter or speech writer shouldn't be trusted.

I will simply repeat. The Presidency is not ONE person. Everyone involved with the presidency is a part of it - - including speech writers - - - who I also doubt work alone.

I really miss the ignore button sometimes.

edit on 26-1-2011 by Annee because: quotes

Of course the Presidency isn't one person. What an asanine and ridiculous statement. Did I say the Presidency was 'ONE' person? Did I even imply it? What I said is that Politicians should be writing their own speeches. Especially when they're trying to pass off said speeches as their own. This is real life, not theater. For Politicians and Presidents to recite speeches written by others, as if they were their own, is deceitful.

If you asked most people whether politicians should write their own speeches or plagiarise others, the response would be massively one sided.

There's nothing idiotic about writing your own speeches and being honest with people. It's only idiotic if you're a dishonest individual who should be hiding something. For you to even suggest honesty is idiotic shows how far politics in America have fallen. I suspect if we weren't talking about Obama, a politician you clearly favour, your opinion would be different.

And I'm sure you enjoyed ignoring views that don't agree with your own. It would explain your current positions.

Signed, Nadas Post Writing Team

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigrex

at least this time Mr. Obama actually mentioned American Exceptionalism and what it means to be an American. That is standard fare for any American President, but exceptional for this president.

How can he mention something that doesn't exist? American Exceptionalism is a myth, a state created myth. This is the sort of propaganda I made mention of earlier.

What does it mean to be American? More Patriotic babble.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by mike dangerously
I just watched a replay and I was right I did not miss much.I was watching a segment with a focus group and those people are so trapped into the left/right scam it's tragic to watch that's the ultimate purpose the SOTU speech it's one of the tools that are used by the TPTB to keep people buying into the system and voting.As for Obama's vision for the future of the nation? all this talk about our infrastructure,education,technology and clean energy? Not gonna happen as long as Big Oil and all the special interests are around.We had the usual tough talk about the war of terrorism yeah,great.Here's the truth we will never leave the Mid-east and Eurasia.

Oils ain't Oils

Funny Obama thought he was suprising the Public about Oil subsidies. I dunno about the US but outside the US it was pretty common knowledge. That means 5-6 bucks a gal, once the Oil Companies no longer get their Tax Breaks, handouts for exploration etc. Should Americans be surprised that Enron paid Zero, Nadda, Zilch tax for the past 4 years, not bad eh?. And BP want a 10 Billion tax refund because they spilt a few buckets.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Obama is not of planet earth

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigrex

at least this time Mr. Obama actually mentioned American Exceptionalism and what it means to be an American. That is standard fare for any American President, but exceptional for this president.

How can he mention something that doesn't exist? American Exceptionalism is a myth, a state created myth. This is the sort of propaganda I made mention of earlier.

What does it mean to be American? More Patriotic babble.

American Exceptionalism has a got a lot to do with the position America has historically been placed in, I would study the writings of Alexis de Tocqueville for a more in depth analysis. Just a quote from his writings I pulled form the Internet,

"The position of the Americans is therefore quite exceptional, and it may be believed that no democratic people will ever be placed in a similar one. Their strictly Puritanical origin, their exclusively commercial habits, even the country they inhabit, which seems to divert their minds from the pursuit of science, literature, and the arts, the proximity of Europe, which allows them to neglect these pursuits without relapsing into barbarism, a thousand special causes, of which I have only been able to point out the most important, have singularly concurred to fix the mind of the American upon purely practical objects. His passions, his wants, his education, and everything about him seem to unite in drawing the native of the United States earthward; his religion alone bids him turn, from time to time, a transient and distracted glance to heaven. Let us cease, then, to view all democratic nations under the example of the American people".

In the original formation of America you had an absence of feudalism. You had Puritan roots, Revolution and Republicanism, Immigration, all of these played significant roles in the formation of the United States. No other nation was previously so molded by this unique combination of elements. True much of the original "architecture" has been eroded away, but the original concepts still exist. America was not founded from a people with a singular common ethnic origin, it was not founded by a ruling elite, it did not arise from people with a similar and distinct heritage.

Traditionally, in America you needed not be born into a wealthy family to improve your status and well-being, there were not the social barriers here that existed in many other countries previous to the formation of America. People very often could pick up and move across thousands of miles of territory with little barrier to improve their lot and completely reinvent their lives in the process. Poor and rich children alike could choose careers that were not necessarily based on parents' choices or any set societal caste system.

In my opinion, "American Exceptionalism" however does not mean we should be sticking our hand in every affair across the nations, in fact I would say exactly the opposite should be true. Unfortunately, due to many, many factors, we have witnessed "the decline and fall of the greatest industrial republic the world has [and may ever] see...".

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join