It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STATE of the UNION Address, 1-25-2011

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

Yea, not even along political lines do I say that this is the most hot air ever heard at a SOTU. Called filbidy flab, gas, talking out of ones bung hole, mumbo jumbo ect.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by Advantage
He has plenty of time to cut all of this crazy spending or slow it down to get the ball rolling on the above things by now. I guess my gripe is that we have heard all of the promises before.. why is now any different? Its been failed move after failed move.... bank bail outs, stimulus checks, and BS so far.

"Spending" has become a straw man with no real meaning. Most people agree that without bail out and stimulus we were facing a much, much larger probability of just stalling and diving into a very real depression.

I am scared now! Better pass that stumulus.......this time just send me a check doe. I didnt see any of that last round.

How did China manage to built more high speed rail in 1 year than the Unites States in 30? No seriously? Answer -- by not doing things the Republican way.

Oh yes the Chines "sputnik" of our day! Anyway I am scared again. Just the tought of them having more HSR than we do just kills! First the great wall and now this!

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

`Well at least the White House recognises there are a few problems.

He had me until he wanted to reduce the dependance of Oil, like he's the only Prez that said that.

So to summarize:
He wants to reduce the amount tax the governments steals from them the Public

Reduce government spending from things that consume the least amount of dollars, and certainly not the Military

He wants to create laws to prevent banks from doing the same again, there are laws Now but the Government refuses to throw the rat bastards in Jail.

He wants to get people off foods stamps, that's going to piss off Jp Morgan

He wants to pay off the Dept

He wants to fix all the roads

He wants to Employ more people for Public Projects

If he can do that with less money and still pay off the existing debt, he's got to be best Magician ever. Thing is, it's only a Bucket List and if none of them even get mentioned again, it doesn't even matter. In other words, Business as Usual and Full Steam ahead and don't spare the Horses.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
You should have seen Chavez's SOTU,it was epic!
He said the same thing he's been saying for a year in just 7 hours of simultaneous broadcast!Amazing,this guy's got some stamina.

Back to Obama, i didn't hear anything new too,same ol promises,populism and "comforting".Reminds me of someone right here at home.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ellen15

We measure progress by the success of our people. By the jobs they can find and the quality of life those jobs offer,” said Obama.

What America does better than any other nation is to spark the creativity and imagination of its people.

The US is the nation that put cars in the world’s driveways and computers on the world’s desks; it’s the nation of Edison and the Wright Brothers and Google and Facebook.

“Innovation doesn’t just change our lives. It’s how we make a living,”

edit on 26-1-2011 by Ellen15 because: (no reason given)

All of this sounds like Soviet prapaganda when put up beside reality. Just right out of the can filb flab.

"Innovation doesnt just change out lives. It how we make a living"

Yes now that you are broke, out of a job and near homeless, 401 k cleaned out and you are 55 you can get innovative with beans and rice.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by metodex
You should have seen Chavez's SOTU,it was epic!
He said the same thing he's been saying for a year in just 7 hours of simultaneous broadcast!Amazing,this guy's got some stamina.

I fell asleep watching the sotu and woke up 5 hours later....it was still on and I thought OMG!

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock
reply to post by Expat888

Yea, not even along political lines do I say that this is the most hot air ever heard at a SOTU. Called filbidy flab, gas, talking out of ones bung hole, mumbo jumbo ect.

I want someone to raise the point that he said we were giving subsidies to oil companies and to banks and that by ending those subsidies we would be able to subsidize new programs for new technology. My question - if that were true, and the Democrats had a super-majority in congress and the presidency since Jan 2009 why did they not think to end those subsidies in the past 2 years - why during that speech do we suddenly learn of it?

Overall, I thought he did a good job - lots of smoke suitable for 5-10 second clips on the news and I'm sure that tons of Americans will eat it up. It was completely disingenuous though - I didn't hear one thing that would lead me to believe that I will be leaving a better America for my children. It used to be that the SOTU was used to speak frankly to American about our challenges but its turned in to a party/circus/Baghdad Bob affair.

He said that times have changed and we have to accept that our industrial jobs are gone. My Question - Where did they go? It seems to me they went to China and India - the countries suddenly in position to compete with us. His answer - accept it and move on, focus on high technology jobs. The 2009 US GDP composition by sector shows the following:

Agriculture : 1.9%
Industry : 21.9%
Services: 76.9%

This is a disaster in the making. The entire economy now hinges upon the fact that the USD is the world reserve currency - take that away which is only a matter of time not if, and the service sector is going to collapse. It isn't about what he said in the SOTU, its about what he didn't say, what none of them have said for 50 years. His plans signal the death knell for the US.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by SirKnightE
Does everybody hate Obama....I'm not to political, but I am all for the sh!t he is addressing.... Eduction, free energy, stoping big oil companies, improving technology, rebuilding america....whats so wrong???

What's so wrong (and I got caught up in the first 3 minutes myself) Is
Like his campaigning,. who couldn't agree with these"ideas"There were few to no specifics.just sweeping b.s.

Letswrite our own we have as much of a chance acomplishing whats in the speech as he does.

Ladies and gentlemen the president of the united states:

Thankyou; take your seats please.

doooods...We need:
American innovation to create new technologies
Better education;
more jobs
less partisanship
reviewing regulations that hinder small business.

( when they have done nothing but ADD regulation from the agencies.(TSA, EPA,USDA)) Which is the "democrat" way. Legislate with the pen: "stroke of the pen law of the land; kinda neat huh." The "clinton administration"
ok Good night.

See It's easy!
I have as much of a chance of actually doing that as he does......
whoops backup the prompter a bit:
We should throw "world peace and "social justice" in there somewhere too.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

I've heard it in the frustrations of Americans who've seen their paychecks dwindle or their jobs disappear – proud men and women who feel like the rules have been changed in the middle of the game.
Stop talking and get to work please!

It seems to me it's time to shut up and get to work. The State of the Union Address just like everything I'm seeing and hearing on the MSM is a bunch of talking heads waiting in line for their moment to announce "it's time to move forward" and "we need to do this and cut that".
The only message getting across to the "proud men and women" is the lie we hear over and over again and again.... which is they are in our best interest.
Each and everyone there is guilty of one thing or another be it from sleeping and dumbing down or underhanded tactics passing bills that infringe on our freedoms.
This die hard need to preach the message of moving forward, "I'm going to..." (fill in the blank)... and do what is in the best interest of the proud men and women is simply a mind game on us. It makes us want to defend them when the truth is NOTHING is getting done (imo).

I wish we could duct tape everyone's mouth. I truly hope all of the speeches and protocol's are out of the way now.
IMO, no one is ready to get their hands in the dirt, if it's not in their best interest.

edit on 26-1-2011 by sweetliberty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by 46ACE

Originally posted by SirKnightE
Does everybody hate Obama....I'm not to political, but I am all for the sh!t he is addressing.... Eduction, free energy, stoping big oil companies, improving technology, rebuilding america....whats so wrong???

What's so wrong (and I got caught up in the first 3 minutes myself) Is
Like his campaigning,. who couldn't agree with these"ideas"There were few to no specifics.just sweeping b.s.

Letswrite our own we have as much of a chance acomplishing whats in the speech as he does.

Ladies and gentlemen the president of the united states:

Thankyou; take your seats please.

doooods...We need:
American innovation to create new technologies

There was a poster on NYT (in the discussion of SOTU) who listed some major American innovations in mid to late 20th century, and most of them are government projects.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I laughed when Obama said. "The food is ok to eat, the water safe to drink, and the air safe to breath."
What a joke.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
Thanks to all who enjoyed my blow by blow. I am sorry I missed the ending, but it wa sliterally more pro am rhetoric and propaganda.

All in all this was the same old shanizzle as usual.

Too bad, the best part was toward the end.

Not a verbatim quote, but if you watched the last 5 or so minutes of the SOTU speech Barry did make an interesting statement (veiled confession perhaps?) I assume you can find on youtube.

He said essentially it doesn't matter where you come from, in the US you can achieve great things, even become president and that why I'm here today.

What caught my attention was he did not say what background you come from but rather "where you come from". Was it a subtle confession? Perhaps he is confident enough now that he is above the laws us little people must follow that he is willing to come out with the truth. Maybe he knows the truth is about to come out and this is a pre-emptive move. One could also say "maybe it's nothing", but with all the time and effort put into the speech every single word is scrutinized and all the subtle nuances considered. Basically I don't think any word or statement was an accident or any nuance unintended.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

The state of the union speech is the biggest waste of time for all involved. Its been pointless since (Im guessing) shortly after the civil war.

Like others have said, not only is he reading a script written by someone else, off a teleprompter, but the message itself is nothing but vague promises and an attempt at patting himself and his cronies on the back for the recent performance of the government in this time of crisis.

In my experience, when someone goes out of their way to tell you "everything is going to be alright," its generally when things are looking like the opposite......

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
It's criminal for Obama to say the things he said in his speech. This country going broke as we speak, cashing checks we can't back up and he talks as though the worst is over. What a liar! He practically owns the msm and they go along as though there might actually be something worthwhile in his rhetoric. I thought Clinton was a weasel but, this guy is King Weasel. We can't get rid of this guy fast enough. He will say anything he believes will help him keep power. How we ever let this community organizer get elected, is a mystery. He's the least qualified president ever. We know next to nothing about this guy, they elect him, and let him try to ruin my country. Like a previous poster said "Where are the adults?"

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

LOL , yea things are getting better, wall street is a lie, unemployment is twice as high as they say, being that they only count people that are on the unemployment programs. Did you happen to see the Republican reply to the State of the Union, the comparsions to all the other failing countries, yea he was comparing those to the US.
oh yea, the deficit just hit a new record today. Good times!

edit on 26-1-2011 by mileslong54 because: Spelling, not very good at it.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by dillweed
It's criminal for Obama to say the things he said in his speech. This country going broke as we speak, cashing checks we can't back up and he talks as though the worst is over.

At least he provides a wishlist. It won't be filled any time soon, though. The problem is not just we spend much, but that we don't make enough money. Thanks to all who took part in exporting jobs.

What a liar! He practically owns the msm

Oh Jeez, keep us posted. He controls FOX? Oh my God...

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Did he mention anything about the possibility of ET's, like so many people think he will do soon? Nope? That's me done then.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
He was doing alot of talking on bringing governmental groups together and "redesigning" government. If you ask me this sounds like steps in the direction of globalism. It starts with the combining of various government run groups such as the CIA and the FBI, next thing you know there's UPU2 everywhere.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vortiki
He was doing alot of talking on bringing governmental groups together and "redesigning" government. If you ask me this sounds like steps in the direction of globalism. It starts with the combining of various government run groups such as the CIA and the FBI, next thing you know there's UPU2 everywhere.

I heard the exact same thing we he brought up that we have a government rooted in the past. I think the underlying meaning was (a) that the founding principles do not apply any longer and (b) that he wants the reigns to completely redesign the government in his image. I don't disagree with him though that the government has done a piss poor job and needs to be reformed I just want those useless and overstepping agencies to be eliminated - he wants them consolidated, strengthened, and controlled along the lines of the DHS - that worked out real well for us lowly citizens.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
For those that did not watch the State of the Union Address I have attached the whole thing on video here.

I'm one of them so I will not comment yet.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join