It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protests in Egypt and unrest in Middle East – live updates

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Protests in Egypt and unrest in Middle East – live updates

www.guardian.co.uk

As midnight approaches in Cairo thousands of protesters are still occupying the Tahrir Square, vowing to remain in place until the government falls. News has reached Egyptians here of deaths in Suez and the capital, as well as unconfirmed reports that Gamal Mubarak – the president's wildly unpopular son and presumed heir apparent – has fled to London, and they appear more determined than ever to hold their ground.
"We will stay here all night, all week if necessary," said Youssef Hisham.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ac64760a750d.jpg[/atsimg]

Wow things are certainly picking up!
From the article-
• Cairo a 'war zone' as demonstrators demand president quit
• Protests continue in Tunisia and Lebanon

Theres also twitter feed updates and updates from police scanner on this site! I would recomend checking this out!

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
More good snippets from the article-

10.43am: It is a big day in the Middle East, where at least three governments are facing sizeable street protests.

• In Egypt, thousands of demonstrators are taking to the streets for a "day of revolution", demanding political reform, including a new term limit on the presidency that would bring to an end the 30-year rule of President Hosni Mubarak. Today is traditionally a national holiday to celebrate the achievements of the police force but an unlikely alliance of youth activists, political Islamists, industrial workers and hardcore football fans are coming together to demand change.

• In Tunisia, there is unfinished business with respect to the Jasmine revolution which forced President Zine Al-Abidine Ben Ali to flee into exile. Protesters are still fighting for the removal of his key allies who hold key posts in the cabinet including the defence and interior ministries. Many demonstrators have been camped in The Casbah in Tunis on the doorstep of interim Prime Minister Mohamed Ghannouchi who they want out. The army chief has promised he "would protect the revolution" but also warned that a "power vacuum could lead to dictatorship".

• In Lebanon, thousands of Sunnis are taking part in a "day of rage" to show their opposition to the prospect of a new government under the control of Hezbollah. The Shia group, which caused the government led by Saad Hariri to fall just under two weeks ago by withdrawing its support, has now won backing in parliament for its own candidate, Syrian-backed businessman Najib Miqati, to succeed Hariri as prime minister. Under Lebanon's power-sharing system, the role is supposed to be reserved Sunnis. (5pm update: Miqati is a Sunni, but Sunni protesters object to his being backed by the Shia Hezbollah.)
Posted by Haroon Siddique, Paul Owen and Adam Gabbatt Tuesday 25 January 2011 10.43 GMT guardian.co.uk

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

I looked at the picture and for some reason found myself trying to find waldo...

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
This could be the third middle easten goverment thats been overthrown in as many weeks...Irish goverment disolveing bit by bit...

Could this be the trend for 2011?

im sure the Argentinians will be next

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
More Links

Guardian- Egypt braces for "Day of Revolution"

"Egypt's authoritarian government is bracing itself for one of the biggest opposition demonstrations in recent years tomorrow, as thousands of protesters prepare to take to the streets demanding political reform.

An unlikely alliance of youth activists, political Islamists, industrial workers and hardcore football fans have pledged to join a nationwide "day of revolution" on a national holiday to celebrate the achievements of the police force."

AllAfrica- Thousands invade for protests in Egypt
"Thousands of protesters thronged the streets of Cairo on Tuesday in a Tunisian-inspired demonstration against President Hosni Mubarak and alleged brutality by state security services.

Defying official declarations that the protest was illegal, demonstrators broke through police barriers to enter the city centre, chanting "Down with Mubarak" and "Tunisia is not better than Egypt". Some surrounded the Supreme Court."

MSNCB - 3 reported dead so far in Egyptian riots.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fc4a45f8f237.jpg[/atsimg]

"Security official vows to 'deal firmly ... with any attempt to break the law"
"Thousands of anti-government protesters, some hurling rocks and climbing atop an armored police truck, clashed with riot police Tuesday in the center of Cairo in a Tunisia-inspired demonstration to demand the end of Hosni Mubarak's nearly 30 years in power. Three people were killed in confrontations around the country.

After a day of violence, thousands of demonstrators stood their ground in downtown Cairo's vast Tahrir Square, steps away from parliament and other government buildings. They promised to camp out overnight, setting the stage for an even more dramatic confrontation. "

CrowdMap of the riots and size
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d94981234b19.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

I FOUND HIM!

(Sorry I couldn't resist!)

Btw I didn't even know there were protests in Egypt. I guess that just goes to show that our media is very biased in what they choose to show.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TreX-UK

I think we will continue to see a lot of government dissolve and restructuring will happen. Our planet and society is awakening!

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TreX-UK

Lets not forget, that the events in tunisia were sparked by wikileaks. And this event is somewhat liked to that as well. Wikileaks has only published an extremely small portion of their documents. Add to that the recent swiss bank account leak. Maybe this is the "great revealing/apocalypse" we have all heard about in the course of our search for the truth.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I've been saying it for months and I'll say it here. 2011 is the year of fire. The hotter it gets this year across Europe and America the more violent the protests will become,this is it folks hold on to your shorts because tswhtf this year.

The people have been robbed worldwide by the banksters the govs have been looted by the greedy and when it comes time to pay the piper the streets will run with blood and fire. When people lose it, they lose it, and only winter keeps them home now.

Beck can only misguide and pacify his followers for so long,the far right will not be denied, somebodys gonna pay for robbing those 401ks and it wont be the people. States are talking about taking pensions! Yeah that'll work out well if you want your capital burned down. Watch and see as for me,I'll be hunkering down way out of the way of the caos.
edit on 1/25/11 by nickoli because: sp

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TreX-UK

It's not too bad yet. My worry is this unrest will spill into Saudi Arabia. There are already serious problems in that region. If it does happen we are looking at 5 dollar gas within 24 hours.

I should clarify something: I believe the events in Egypt and Lebanon were actually influenced by the unrest in Tunisia. It is like a domino chain being knocked down. The mid-east in a powder keg. Someone could sneeze and the whole thing would go.
edit on 25-1-2011 by antonia because: RAWR

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
S&F for this thread ..... I saw video of this on the news tonight and just thought wow, this could be big and lead to some very serious unrest.

Presumably these governments are on the phone to western powers asking for backup to put these protestors back in their box.

Can the USA muster enough gear to contain these very unhappy people ? ... I don't know

Should Israel next door to Egypt be worried about this ? ..... I don't know

The poster mentioning about rising fuel prices makes a good point if unrest spreads through the region.

Am gonna be keeping an eye on this.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Thats probably just the Beginning...when it swaps over to Saudi-Arabia (there is no "IF" anymore in my Opinion) And i dont think the USA or anyone else for that matter can do anything about it. Sending "Western Help" would make it even worse.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

A video from the area. I forgot how to embed sorry guys.
www.youtube.com...

UPDATE: Presidents family has fled to London.
www.zerohedge.com...

Another Update: Video of ruling party members burning their membership cards.
fedupmontrealer.blogspot.com...

edit on 25-1-2011 by antonia because: Update

edit on 25-1-2011 by antonia because: another update

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

to embed video
go to the youtube video you wants too imbed

"youtubecom/watch?v=YtTUsqra-MU&feature=player_embedded"

the red part you would copy and paste into the vid:youtube button when posting on ATS

edit on 1/25/2011 by VonDoomen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Seems like Sorros has been busy again - these countries are certainly not going to go for democratisation - more liklely they will end up with Islamicist governments - so what is Sorros really up to

Tunisian Revolt: Another Soros/NED Jack-Up?

These “color revolutions” all have a common pattern because they are all planned by the same strategists; namely the Open Society network of money speculator George Soros, who serves as a kind of modern-day Jacob Schiff in funding revolutions;[3] and the National Endowment for Democracy, the latter a post-Trotskyite founded, Congressionally-funded kind of “Comintern” promoting the “world democratic revolution” in the service of plutocracy and under the façade of liberty.

Here is a typical scenario of “color revolutions.” Check it off against the features of the “Jasmine Revolution,” and of the funding by the National Endowment for Democracy to “Tunisian activists,” as described further on:

[Soros' Open Society Institute]… sent a 31-year-old Tbilisi activist named Giga Bokeria to Serbia to meet with members of the Otpor (Resistance) movement and learn how they used street demonstrations to topple dictator Slobodan Milosevic. Then, in the summer, Mr. Soros’s foundation paid for a return trip to Georgia by Otpor activists, who ran three-day courses teaching more than 1,000 students how to stage a peaceful revolution.[4]
cont........................

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I dont think Tunisia can be attributed to Soros. It was triggered by a young man setting himself on fire and burning himself to death. The government was highly corrupt and widely hated by the people. This is a case of the power of the people and its catching hold,sparking more revolt in other countries,this one man willing to die for liberty could very well spark world wide protests.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by nickoli

I'll agree that its a very murky area. The chance is there and very possible that external forces are partly to blame. There are a lot of very powerful and influential people who dont mind exercising said power.

Dont forget, theres still a lot of the world up for grabs. Just look at how different the maps are now after the fall of the USSR? I was extremely young at the time, and i have basically lived my whole life with the new maps. I actually cant even recall seeing an old map with the old USSR on it. Now extend this 80 years into the future. Imagine how much more different the world map will be then?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

The banks are making history making profits...

*bailouts... hack hack* wha???....

The oil companies profits are extremely high....

3$ plus a gallon and rising.... why????

real unemployment/underemployment is at around 50%... and PHDs are working as janitors...

And the news casters & politicians are so *shocked* and appalled by riots???????

Really???

REALLY????

edit on 25-1-2011 by pianopraze because: clarification

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join