It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protests in Egypt and unrest in Middle East – live updates

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
the protests are officialy over ( egypt protests end BBC ) but im not sure what effect they will have. the protests were certinly another watershed moment but im not sure they have the momentum to have the same effects here as in tunisia. Its good to see some people fighting to take there freedoms despite the sad situations that made it nesissery.
edit on 26-1-2011 by AnonymousJ because: edit to clarify

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohhnyBGood
Seems like Sorros has been busy again - these countries are certainly not going to go for democratisation - more liklely they will end up with Islamicist governments - so what is Sorros really up to

If the people of Muslim nations want Islamic government, then, well, it's their country. However, I doubt Tunisia or lebanon will go that route - historically, neither has wide support for Islamicist political movements (even the support for Hezbollah in Lebanon is wholly based around their role in fighting the Israeli occupation, not on their political ideology)

Egypt however would almost certainly become a Sharia state. Which, sad to say, would be better than the dog and pony show Mubarak is running.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Dont forget there's protests in Yemen to. Heres an article from a few days ago. Article

ADEN, Yemen – Drawing inspiration from the revolt in Tunisia, thousands of Yemenis fed up with their president's 32-year rule demanded his ouster Saturday in a noisy demonstration that appeared to be the first large-scale public challenge to the strongman.

Clashes also broke out Saturday in Algeria, as opposition activists there tried to copy the tactics of their Tunisian neighbors, who forced their longtime leader to flee the country more than a week ago.

Military forces responded harshly to two similar protests a day earlier in four cities in the nearby southern province of Lahj, even firing mortar shells that killed one woman. The response forced residents to flee.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
So how soon until the United States intervenes to protect its interests - namely the dictators?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

It depends I think, the western nations just want a leadership that will copporate with them and not kick up a fuss, it realy dosent matter to the whitehouse etc who is in charge of these countrys so long as they dont rock the boat. If the new goverments take steps that might undermine americas power and acsess to resources they will step in but if they take the same adjenda under a different name as is often the case the US and like will see no reason to step in and defend threre "intrests"

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousJ

Unfortunately you're ignoring the trend of protests and revolutions in the Middle East. The people over there generally want far, far less involvement with the United States - and I, for one, don't blame them. Any popular movement is going to turn away from American and European interests, and either seek a solitary path (as Lebanon seems to be doing) or turn towards a more powerful regional ally (lately, that would probably be Turkey or the UAE)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by nickoli
I dont think Tunisia can be attributed to Soros. It was triggered by a young man setting himself on fire and burning himself to death. The government was highly corrupt and widely hated by the people. This is a case of the power of the people and its catching hold,sparking more revolt in other countries,this one man willing to die for liberty could very well spark world wide protests.

There is a long list of funding by Sorros's organisations and the NED - for the training of activists of all sorts, radiostations etc over the last few yrs - of course this was another of his 'spontaneous' revolutions!

There are along list of people in the eastern block countries attesting to how the colour revolutions were all faked and pre-planned, that in fact former communists and the kgb are still in complete control.

Moroccan Organization for Human Rights (OMDH) $60,000 To strengthen a group of young Tunisian attorneys as they mobilize citizens on reform issues. OMDH will train a group of 20 Tunisian lawyers on civil mobilization, and supervise and mentor them as they implement their own mobilization projects.

2008: Al-Jahedh Forum for Free Thought received $57,000; Center for International Private Enterprise, $163,205; Centre Mohamed Ali de Reserches d’Etudes et de Formation, $37,800; Tunisian Arab Civitas Institute, $43,000, aimed at training teachers on the NED ideologies of “civic values.”

Does the language need to be any plainer? NED has promoted in Tunisia as elsewhere around the world a revolutionary cadre based on youth and professionals for the overthrow of a regime that is seen as an anomaly in the “new world order.” While the regimes that are targeted might be thoroughly reprehensible, the rhetoric about “democracy”, “civic values” and “open societies” expounded by NED, Soros and their myriad of agents and institutions around the world is just so much propagandistic humbug designed, as is generally the case in such circumstances, to deflect attention away from the real causes and aims of the “spontaneous uprisings.” Commentators are already noting the impetus for the “spontaneous revolt” provided by “civil society organizations”, which is a euphemism for precisely the organizations sponsored by NED and Soros: “…In this way, a broad coalition of civil society organizations has connected bread-and-butter employment grievances with fundamental human rights and rule-of-law concerns….”
www.foreignpolicyjournal.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Thats a good read Johhny and may very well be the case after reading the link. So it appears that they just used the death of the young man as a trigger mechinism. It'll be interesting to see how things further develop after reading that article.
edit on 1/26/11 by nickoli because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Lets just hope that if the Egyptian government is toppled then it will be replaced by a "true" democratic republic with freedom of speech, freedom of and from religion (desperately needed in the Middle East), etc.

It will be a sad day in history if the new government turns out to be an Islamic Sharia state like that of Iran and Saudi Arabia that is disadvantages to non-muslims and women.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
This is huge people! People around the world are waking up to the tyranny! People, those considered as sheeples by the conspiracy theorists, are taking action now! Could this be the long awaited waking of the masses? When will brainwashed US citizens follow these remarkable examples? I don't want to sneak the topic in this thread, but I find the timing fits so much the upcoming 2012 prophecy!

This made my day! Europe, now middle east, then it will be south/central america, then the US! Things are moving as we speak. The Earth is changing, politics is, just as our economic system (it will soon enough)!

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Gab1159

the problem with 2012 is many people have taken advantage of the idea to make money. The story has been pretty convoluted. and lets not forget the dangers of self-fufilling prophecies!

I do think we have reached a turning point though on this planet. The masses are waking up and are getting connected. How it will turn out is left to be written. But yes, very interesting times ahead!

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gab1159
This is huge people! People around the world are waking up to the tyranny! People, those considered as sheeples by the conspiracy theorists, are taking action now! Could this be the long awaited waking of the masses? When will brainwashed US citizens follow these remarkable examples? I don't want to sneak the topic in this thread, but I find the timing fits so much the upcoming 2012 prophecy!

This made my day! Europe, now middle east, then it will be south/central america, then the US! Things are moving as we speak. The Earth is changing, politics is, just as our economic system (it will soon enough)!

Yeah - super duper!

Except that all of these 'revolutions' are being staged by the likes of Gorgie Sorros - the same guy who put Obamski in office, the same guy who staged all the eastern block revolutions, and who delivered the people straight back in to the hands of the KGB.
edit on 26-1-2011 by JohhnyBGood because: spacing

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a few tweet from the last couple of hours....

On Egypt's second day of protests, Cairo in a state of chaos

Cairo residents in Egypt remove passwords from their wi-fi routers so protesters can communicate with the world http://(link tracking not allowed)/g9xOdl

http://(link tracking not allowed)/g9xOdl

No doubts about it anymore, AlJazeera is deliberately downplaying #Jan25, presenter silenced Suez caller as he was appealing to world on air

This is NOT the Muslim Brotherhood. This IS an #Egypt REVOLUTION by Egyptians from all walks of life

Aljazeera: Arrested protesters are being detained in secret camps and denied access to lawyers

reports that all phone lines cut off in Suez, army moving in

the burning building is 'Al-Arbeen' Police Station.....

edit on 26-1-2011 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Egyptian Revolution -- Nasser Nouri Photographs from Mahalla

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
This is really important stuff. There has been a lot of info regularly updated on this thread.
It started about Tunisia, but has continued chronicling the developments in the region.
Middle East on Fire
God Bless Freedom and those willing to fight for it

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Thank you for the input!

Very valuable info an video!
I am in the middle of conversing with an egyptian friend about this topic. I'll post what he says in the future!

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohhnyBGood
Seems like Sorros has been busy again

thank you so very much for saying it.
folks are tired of hearing me say it.
I'll shut up now

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
The fuse has been lit my friends.Yes the Egyptian government has quelled the protests but the movement has been born and it has spread into Lebanon if I were a Saudi royal I would be very worried because now the people know they can overthrow these dictatorships and the US won't lift a finger.Although I must wonder how the US government react if the House of Saud was deposed? we have bases there hmm.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
whoops
edit on 26-1-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by JohhnyBGood

So it's better to leave brutal dictators in power, if option B has even a faint scent of Soros money on it? Even if your claims are true (and given your sourcing, I have no reason to believe so) this sort of outlook is simply reprehensible. There is no way you could make the argument that Mubarak is the superior option, even if the alternative is George Soros, the pope, and the fake rock from the fake moon landing being paraded down the streets of Cairo on a gilded palanquin.

Got it. You hate George Soros, because... because... Well, probably because he gives money to the Democratic party, truth be told, but you hate him for whatever reasons you have. However, maybe you should consider that if the sentiments weren't already there, even Soros couldn't have capitalized on them. The Egyptians have been trying to get Mubarak to either step down or open up real democratic reform for decades now. Pinning this on George Soros is both paranoid AND a deep disservice to the people of Egypt.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join