It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video: Cop repeatedly punching a 53 year old woman in the face

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

Diabetic ketoacidosis

It gives off the exact same indicators as a person under the influence of alcohol.

Fruit / intoxicating odor from the mouth
slurred speech
unable to perform simple motor functions
unable to multitask (Field Sobriety Test)
confused
unable to control a motor vehicle

I have seen this a few times. I have never seen any other incidents you described as being mistaken for DWI. Also to clarify something, since LEO's are not medical personnel, we are not allowed to diagnose. If a person we have in custody requests medical attention, we are required to comply. If we do not, and something happens to that person, the following happens.

Officer Smith did you have contact with Mr. Jones - Yes
Did MR. Jones ask to go to the Hospital for a medical problem? - Yes
Did you honor that request? - No
Are you a medical professional capable of diagnosing a medical problem? - No
Then why didnt you take him to the Hospital when he asked? If you are not a medical professional what makes you think you are capable of denying a request for medical?

Also, a Police Officer is not looking for a medical problem no more than an EMS crew is looking for a serial killer.

Respectfully, while I respect your right to run LEO's into the ground based on your lack of knowledge and overly simplistic view of how we do our job and whats required of us, would it be too much to ask, at the very least, to make a conscious effort to research information before you post it as fact?
edit on 24-1-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   
First of all im a new user on this site, and let me say thumbs up for every bit of info and arguments.

Ok Ok now to this shocking video, Check out South african Stats on drunken driving crime ect... we are up there with the high contenders. So for me to see a "WOMAN" getting punched in the face like that by a cop??? is totally disgusting. Government wont drop charges for the fact of the video getting released to the public, the second officer fired a stun gun at her while the first officer carried on punching her. This is not a man let alone a cop, he is a wanker and i would love to get in a ring with this idiot. I wonder if he Beats his wife the same way when she wont cook for him ect... What that cop had was a rage fit full on.....

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Cybertron

When the other officer deployed his taser, did it work?
Did both probes make contact with the driver?
Did the Taser cycle correctly?
Did either one of the wires break in transit?
Did either one of the wires break after impact?
Was there anything inbetween the officer who deployed the Taser and the driver?

What was the driver doing after being boxed in?
What was the driver trying to do before the cop busted out the window?
What was the cop yelling to her before breaking out the window?
Was the driver reaching for any weapons?
Was the driver trying to push on the gas pedal in an effort to break the car free?
Was the driver trying to put the car in reverse?
Was the driver resisting against the officer after the window was busted out?

Was she armed?
Was she a he?
Was she fleeing because she was drunk, or because she just killed someone?

None of the questions above can be answered until after the incident is overwith and verified. Because we dont know the answers, we will go with the worst case scenario for safety and descalate from there.

Here is some more information.

Utah trooper on leave after assault allegations

The traffic stop came after a pursuit through Ogden early Aug. 28. Incident reports showed that Wright, 59, was spotted by officers speeding and weaving on Washington Boulevard.

Reports say officers tried tactical maneuvers to make the car spin out and finally cornered the vehicle in a parking lot of a business near Ogden's McKay-Dee Hospital. Davenport wrote that Wright was uncooperative, refusing to roll down her windows or get out of her car.

He said Wright "had the accelerator floored and engine revving in an attempt to push our vehicles out of the way."

On the videos, the sound of the engine cannot be heard over blaring police sirens..

"I delivered three close hand strikes to her head in an attempt to gain compliance with our commands. I did this to distract and stun her and to stop her from trying to drive off and strike our vehicles or possibly run us over," Andrew Davenport's report stated. "The strikes worked, and we were able to grab her hands."

I added the emphasis in the quoted content. An officers use of force can only be judged in the timeframe it occured. The Supreme Court standard is what did the officer perceive at the exact moment force occured? Hindsight being 20/20 is not allowed in determining if an officers actions are lawful and within policy.

Based on the USA today article, she refused to roll the window down, she refused to turn the car off, and she was attemtping to use her vehicle to move the cop car out of the way. She is lucky the onlything she received was a punch to the head. Had the vehicle been able to move from its location, the Officers would have been justified in using deadly force on her.

UHP trooper on paid leave after punching woman 5 times - More detailed information

After she was placed in a patrol car, Wright can be heard in the videos yelling and swearing at troopers.

Troopers found prescription drugs in Wright's car, according to the reports.

edit on 24-1-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

On the contrary, I am not running LEO's into the ground. The ones I am familiar with are some of the best in the nation in my opinion. And yes, I have seen them "assume" a 32 year old woman was drunk when in fact she was epileptic. Granted once they actually got her out of the car the assumption stopped, but their very first assumption was drunkenness.

Edit to add: unless the driver is creeping along on the wrong side of the interstate and reported as elderly - NO, they do not suspect Alzheimers first. So yes... drunkenness is their first assumption. I think the difference between what I'm saying and what you're saying is timing. I'm saying while the driver is still in the moving vehicle and I suspect you are speaking of a stopped vehicle with the driver in custody.
edit on 24/1/2011 by SeenMyShare because: (no reason given)

Edited again to add: The local LEOs did not feel the need to punch this woman repeatedly when they took her into custody. That's my whole point.
edit on 24/1/2011 by SeenMyShare because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

Ummmm..............Actually "the American people".......are sick to the gills with this type of unwarrented brutality by the "boys in blue". You might notice that the one "simpleton" defending this action is an englishman, notice his use of the term "mum" not "mom" and then look at the creatures profile.......This type of behavior by the gustapo is becoming more common, more "in your face".......no my friend , we dont care for this at all.

YouSir

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Um... im pretty sure all three cops around the car could pretty much put all the things you labelled of could be and maybe to rest.
what the vid shows is not 3 or four punches is continually hitting the lady while the car is NOT MOVING and there are three cops around the car with all windows open, If there were a gun they would not have dropped charges your comments on the topic justifies the cops actions, Here in S.A we would have had street justice and the people witnessing this would have intervened and hung that pig of a cop.

Just because you have a badge and uniform doesnt mean your above the law, and it def doesnt mean you can end a situation like that if its not called for for eg if the COPS life was really trouble..... in a situation like that the cop was in the car already on the passenger window for a brief second, the cop that was hitting the lady also could of just as easily pulled her right out of the car and pinned her to the ground, Instead of brutily hitting somone sitting behind a steering wheel. And if you havent Noticed the charges on her were all dropped except failing to stop. it is pretty obvious what side your sitting on. how does AMERICAS top crime song go..... BAD boys Bad boys what ya gonna do.... Thugs thats all you people are.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Oh and big deal about the prescription drug..... Um they are PRESCRIBED all legal. and if that PIG hit my wife like that i would of put him in ICU let alone my wife swearing at him.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by YouSir

If More people had this outlook it would be a better place.
We have had enough of Gangsterism.....

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
After watching the video, and seeing everything in context, it's my belief that the officer involved was acting within the boundries of the law. Most of these videos, i side with the victim, but in this incidence the officer was in the right.

When analyzing the video, you'll see that the officer only does a couple of "hard" punches, and then the rest are jabs -- and these are more prevalent after the taser is fired into the vehicle. This leads me to believe that the officer, as he stated, was punching the driver in an attempt to distract her, and thwart any potential attempts she would take to flee the scene. He could have used a taser, but another officer was taking care of that, he didn't have his out, and had to make a split-second decision on "how to stop the already proven to disregard human safety and disobey an officer's requests to stop, lady" or risk her driving off, killing a human and damaging a ton of property.

I would have punched her too, and i'm a pacifist.

Edit: as a trained martial artist, the difference between a "jab" and a "hard punch" is in the hips/shoulders. The force of a good punch comes from the movement of the body, and the energy produce within that, being channeled through the torso, into the shoulders and out the arms. For a better description, see the link below. The officer had 2, maybe 3 punches like that, and i'd attribute the rest as slaps in the face.

www.180mma.com...

edit on 24-1-2011 by Evil_Santa because: thwarting arguments on difference in power of punching.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by YouSir

yo the english guy you refer to is a soldier that would explain his stance rather than him just being english .Im english and Iwill not defend the cop.
just to clarify

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Evil_Santa

IMO it doesnt matter if the y jabbed punched or slapped they could clothesline her for all i care , they used excessive force end of .

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cybertron

Oh and big deal about the prescription drug..... Um they are PRESCRIBED all legal. and if that PIG hit my wife like that i would of put him in ICU let alone my wife swearing at him.

Just because a drug is prescribed doesn't mean that driving on it is safe, and most likely come with a warning. If she was on any of the opiate family painkillers, benzodiazepine's, or any other narcotic, to the point she's too intoxicated to drive -- then she's driving under the influence, and shouldn't be on the road. A close relative of mine takes a large dose of oxycottin's a day, due to nerve damage from a blood clot almost killing an appendage, and she can't drive because of it. It's simple -- if you lack the mental, and physical, capacity to pass a road sobriety test, then you shouldn't be driving. The cause for not passing is irrelevant -- even if it's from sleep deprivation -- you lack the motor skills, and reflexes to safely operate a 1,000lb weapon.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by simples

Um maybe you have a missarable life but i rather enjoy mine, your a soldier? so for you killing moering people
and generally thinking your the bomb is normal......
WE the PEOPLE are not animals and your crude ways should rather stay on the battle field,

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

Even in a moving vehicle, drunk driving will be our first thought. Regardless, there would be enough reasonable suspicion to initiate a traffic stop and investigate. When they dont stop, again we are not thinking medical, but criminal. Once the vehicle is stopped and we make contact, there will be tell tale clues we look for. One of the big ones is what their eyes look like.

As I said before the diabetes problem is the closest medical condition that gives the same clues as an intoxicated individual.

again, your last comment is what I am referring to in terms of running LEO's into the ground based on actions you are not understanding. Calls are not going to be the exact same, as you pointed out in your story. Your disdain is coming from you reading the article and watching the video, which is one side of the story. This Trooper was not on a god / power trip as you have suggested a few posts back.

You cannot use 20/20 hindsight to critique the troopers actions in the manner you are doing. Should cops punch people? depends on the situation at hand. In this case, based on her actions and the troopers observations and perceptions, she is lucky she was not shot.

The cops did not force this lady to drink, nor did they force her to drive. The cops did not force her to flee from them. The cops did not force her to resist arrest.

This lady violated several laws, and in the process placed others in immediate danger. The fact pit maneuvers were authorized suggest the pursuit was very hazerdous, since in most jurisdicitons a pit maneuver is considered deadly force.

We get to read the sequence of events from start to finish, which always skews our opinions. It also causes people to ignore the fact that at the time the incident occured, the cops had no idea what the hell was going on. Again, we assume the worst and hope for the best.

If the lady managed to get her car moving again, allowing her to flee, and she blows a red light and tbones a car, killing mom, dad and the threee kids, then what? Chances are people would be complaining that the trooper did not tanke stronger actions when he had the chance to end the encounter.

The lady was intoxicated.. Its possible she was also hocked up on prescription meds. She has adrenaline flowing full force through her body because of the situation. Im telling you from my own experiences fighting with people that she was not feeling the punches / pain at all. Her own statements verify that since she could not remember what occured other than seeing a black love coming at her.

At what point did we throw personal responsibility out the window? Its always someone elses fault, regardless.

She was drunk, she fled, she got boxed in by the patrol cars, and she ignored all commands to stop her actions.

She is lucky she only got punched 5 times.
The cops are lucky they werent injured or killed.
The general public is lucky they werent killed by the drunk driver or the pursuing officers.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Cybertron

star to cyberton for hitting the nail on the head

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheGhostViking
reply to post by Evil_Santa

IMO it doesnt matter if the y jabbed punched or slapped they could clothesline her for all i care , they used excessive force end of .

Excessive force == when a police officer violates a person's rights. In this incidence she gave up all rights of safety by operating a vehicle in an unsafe manner, and failing to stop. They didn't use night-sticks, or the butt of a gun on her. Instead one officer shot her with a taser to stun her (valid way to stun someone) and another took a couple of shots with his fist to stun her (an equally valid way).

Now if they had opened the door, dragged her out and continued to pummel her after it was apparent she was stunned, then i would agree with your claims of excessive force. In this incidence however, the officer punching her wasn't being malicious with the aggression and was operating well within his jurisdiction to protect human life.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cybertron
reply to post by simples

WE the PEOPLE are not animals

How delusional you might be, to believe that homo sapiens are not another form of animal -- an animal with a vast amount of intelligence, understanding and imagination, but an animal none-the-less.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Sir, if she had been drinking and driving she would not have had her charges dropped. Period.

Thank God I know if I'm pulled over locally I'll walk away intact from the stop. Excessive force cannot be explained away. It is what it is and yes, I have disdain for heavy handed LEOs. I will not apologize for that.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I see what you saying but how many cops do they need to stop the lady ? Its not just this case there are many where the police have shocked me by their actions . I thought police were the creme de la creme i d have thought with their training they could have come up with somethin less violent then smash her face in? this is an old woman not jack the ripper ? AND BY THE WAY are you in favour of tasers ? im not they could have easily killed her using them
To the op well done your thread is doing very well star and flag

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   

And all the above on drunken driving ect are the cops presumptions, Stories theve already made up in there heads. Are you honestly telling me after watching the vid there was no way for the cop to just simply pull her out of the car and arrest her? And according to the "LAW" she only broke one " refusing to stop" Who is to say she did not have a bunch of reasons to stop. Stories Stories Stories. Im pretty sure the vid tells it how it is, Thats why the troopers have the cams in there cars, for evidence, and as far as the viewer of the video is aware was the fact that Three big men could not arrest A woman who refused to stop. These guys should not protect our streets and people, these guys should be on wwf or MMA fight night. Oh and you telling me as a martial artist when you jab someone in the temple or the nose is not as bad as taking a hard shot to the jaw? You must give up your hobby...... lets see the size of the guy' compared to the size of the woman,,, Brok lesner giving a 14 year old girl a few jabs.... its funny how people get split up due to what is pretty much straight forward of brutality.
If he was a good cop he could have easily difused that situation with minimal force. Bad boys Bad boys what ya gonna do.....

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join