It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inadvertent Time Travellers

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Not sure if anyone has heard this one and not even sure if it is scientifically accurate, but anyway here goes......

If beings on a far distant planet looked at earth through a powerful telescope, they would probably see the victorians! That being said, if you could travel faster than the speed of light (not possible) you could travel to this planet and watch yourself being born.

This is all hypothetical, but boggles the mind.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
This is by far the most interesting thread i`ve ever read on this website, this is how ATS should be!
I enjoyed reading peoples time travel stories and enjoyed reading again about John Titor, a gentleman who was mentioned a few years ago in a British magazine called Fortean times that some of you may be aware of. The John Titor wiki had been updated since i last read it but it was very interesting!
This thread has led to a conversation between me and my boyfriend about time travel/time slips and we discussed the concept of de ja vu and bilocation (or doppelgangers, if you like) as we have both experienced strong episodes of de ja vu, mine has increased over the past 2 years and my boyfriends has diminished somewhat. I guess the bilocation topic may have been posted elsewhere but this thread reminded me of it. Bilocation is common in cats and dogs, you might have seen your pet asleep on the couch or bed as you pass into a different room, only to find said pet playing in the room you`ve just entered, or coming in from the back garden, that sort of thing. I have also inadvertently experienced bilocation myself, there have been times when i have been out shopping and my father has seen me walking back to my house and has made me a tea for when i get in, i`ve not appeared and he has called me to see where i went and i`ve still been out. When i finally have arrived home, my dad has claimed he saw me hours previously wearing the exact same items of clothing (strange as he`d not seen me leaving the house so couldn`t have known what i was wearing) and carrying the exact same shopping bags. This has happened on a number of occasions now. I have also had people claimed they`ve passed me whilst out driving and had either tooted their horns at me or called out my name and had no response and i`d not been in the area at the time. My boyfriend has also had this experience, especially when he was in his late teens of apparently being seen in the London area by friends when he`d not been there at the time. Again, i don`t know if this is related to time slips/parallel dimensions and such but this thread reminded me of this and i was wondering if anyone else has had such experiences, or has noticed their sense of de ja vu increasing recently?

Sorry for rambling, but this thread has sparked something inside me, i`m now going to youtube time travel to see what comes up!

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by pinkstarbuck

A few years ago Everyone called John Titor a fraud. But i find comparing his timeline of events to Our timeline it Just seems like his time line was delayed in our reality. If that makes any since

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I've done this! I've inadvertently traveled through time!

For years I wondered if it ever happened to anyone else!

I was looking at a clock in my best friend's bedroom, years and years ago, when suddenly the clock sprang forward in time 5 minutes in the blink of an eye (except I wasn't blinking, I saw the minute hand vanish and reappear in the new position instantaneously).

It happened a second time, as well.

Huh. I wonder, sometimes if we really do know the true nature of the universe in this respect (or even if we're heading in the right direction, at all, with our theories).
edit on 1/23/2011 by ironyWrit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
To be honest, when we all look up at the sky...we're watching history...light reaching us from millions and millions of years ago...so you could say we're travelling through time

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackPoison94
To be honest, when we all look up at the sky...we're watching history...light reaching us from millions and millions of years ago...so you could say we're travelling through time

Yes, but we know we are. What those whom have found themselves in a completely different time line (Let's say, 5 years into the future for example) but completely by chance, maybe without even knowing about it at the time..

Many seem to have these bizarre experiences..

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

True Goat

Thing is...how do we know that their "experience" is true...and let's say it is...how? A portal? Magic?

I'm not a skeptic at time travel...I believe it's possible...but again..only based on physics..

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by FreeSafety

Yikes, FreeSafety... that is odd... and sad.

Ya know, I'm near Monticello frequently... we'll be in a few hours, actually. I'll be sure to avoid that route! While there's not the tiniest little piece of me that believes that what happened to you would be replicated, it's still odd! My first post in this thread was to say that I wish something like a "time slip" or inadvertent time travel would happen to me, but I think I've changed my mind. I guess one doesn't really think about the implications of such things. Well, some do, so I shouldn't say that. I didn't, though.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Very interesting thread. I can argue that most of the stories you find like this around the internet usually only involve 1 or 2 people. Not referring to the Philadelphia Experiment which I personally believe did not involve time travel as we perceive it. The science behind stories like this I think is way ahead of our time and I fear we won't see the answers to questions like these in our lifetime.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Someone on ATS posted this in another thread:

Not only is it possible, it’s even possible to Ghost yourself!

I’m so glad someone finally asked this question. Let me tell you what happened to me.
The year is 1981 and I’m 5 years old. At this time in my life I was often told about my brother who is my mother’s son from another marriage. I never met him but always had ideas about what it would be like to meet him. He was 10 years older than me and I only occasionally saw him through pictures my mom had.

One day I was sitting at the end of a hallway in our house playing with a pillow. I heard my mom in the kitchen say “It’s ready.” Referring to dinner I heard my dad shut he car door for some reason outside and as I looked up at the end of the hallway I saw my brother just as I thought he would look peeking around the corner of the hallway at the other end toward the living room with this wild eyed look on his face. I immediately jumped up and started running to him saying..”Richard!...Richard!” Almost immediately he looked surprised then ducked back around the corner. As I came around the corner literally a second later no one was there.

I asked my mother where he was and she said he was living in Pennsylvania, I told her he was just here, and she laughed.

Now fast forward 10 or 11 years. I was 15 or 16 I don’t remember and I had just come back from a camp out with my uncle and his co workers. I came home and through my junk in the corner and laid down on the bed. Suddenly I felt like I was about to faint and then like I was EJECTED out of my body, like falling.
That’s the only way I can describe it. Even more than that like I was on a YoYo.

When I opened my eyes I was doing the impossible I was standing in the living room of our house from 1982. It was as real as literally being there. I felt the carpet on my feet and smelled what my mother was cooking. I remember trying to take it all in as I moved toward the kitchen to find my mom. I was almost in a panic. About that time I heard my mom say…”It’s ready.” Referring to what I guess was dinner and as I was about to pass the hall way I peeked around the corner to see if anyone was coming and saw….MY SELF at the end playing with this blue pillow with blue fringe. We locked eyes and my heart stopped, When I got up and came running toward myself exclaiming “Richard!” I about flipped the @$@# out and jumped back. When I did it was like I was slammed back into my body. I mean it knocked the breath out of me. I clearly remember yelling very loudly..WHAT THE F$@$ WAS THAT!!.........The reason I remember saying that is because my dad was outside in the flower bed picking weeds and yelled at me for cursing through my window. Lol..

I do not believe in out of body experiences per se, but then again I don’t know what the hell happened. All I know is that apparently I ghosted myself. Something I didn’t know about until I told my mom almost in a panic and she told me when I was 5 I had asked about my brother under the same circumstances.
All I know was this was markedly different than any dream I have ever had, it was real.
You don’t have to believe it, I still doubt it sometimes. But this confirms to me anyway that yes you can definitely see living ghosts.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I've read the stories and as interesting as they are I have one problem with most of them.

If I stepped through a wormhole and arrived say an hour in the future in the same place i'd be floating in space looking at the Earth one hour further round it's orbit of the sun, for time travel to take you back in time you would also require the destination end of the wormhole to appear on Earth at the relative position in space. Earth moves around a moving solar system.

However the solar system moves slowley maybe there are times when the exact same points on earth have occupied the same spacial co-ordinates at different points in time

edit on 23-1-2011 by HaloBurn because: more thought put into reply

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

An experience I had a few years ago was previously posted in a "time-slip" thread here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here's a copy of my experience. Like I said, I never experienced anything like it before or after, so I don't know what to make of it. No explaination of what it could've been.

"Ok, let me first preface this by saying that if somebody told me this happened to them, I wouldn't believe it, but this is my off the wall experience.

I have been commuting to work by train foe 25+ years now and this occurred about 10 years go.

I arrived at the train station near my place of employment as usual about 8:00 am like every other morning and was walking through the station with hundreds of other commuters with the usual hustle and bustle. Suddenly, without warning, it was like I entered another room. The air got thick and hazy and all of a sudden it was difficult to walk, like walking in mud. People on both sides and in front of me appeared to be dressed in attire from the early 1900's, some men in bowler hats and women in long period dresses. The interior of the station, which I know like the back of my hand, seemed different with unfamiliar storefronts where the usual coffee and newstand kiosks would be. As quick as it happened, it was like stepping out of that room, and everything went back to normal. I cautiously looked behind me and the usual multitude of people were walking behind me as normal. This only seemed to affect me.

Although I have an open mind I lean toward skepticism when it comes to time warps, interdemensional travel, etc., I have no other explaination as to what happened to me that morning. I wasn't daydreaming, hung over or anything else. I've had no experiences like that before or after. "

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

edit on 23-1-2011 by grimshady because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11I11
Not sure if anyone has heard this one and not even sure if it is scientifically accurate, but anyway here goes......

If beings on a far distant planet looked at earth through a powerful telescope, they would probably see the victorians! That being said, if you could travel faster than the speed of light (not possible) you could travel to this planet and watch yourself being born.

This is all hypothetical, but boggles the mind.

it does boggle your mind. So, if i left on a bus right now at 2:08:01 central time, sped around the world to the same exact location that I started. What speed would I have to go to show up at 2:08:01 and what would happend if I traveled faster than that and showed up earlier? Would I run into my old self?

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Excellent thread Rising.

I believe it happens. I have read many accounts of people who seem to have experienced a time slip.

Anyway, S&F.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
If I were able to time travel, I would go back to the ancient Chinese dynasty times.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Here's a good video from youtube.com on this topic:

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

i don`t know if this is related to time slips/parallel dimensions and such but this thread reminded me of this and i was wondering if anyone else has had such experiences, or has noticed their sense of de ja vu increasing recently?

Im not sure about the de ja vu thing but it happens to me so often that its frustrating and confusing. It does seem to happen in spurts. And seems to happen to me more often when I am in a depressed state of mind. Or for example this seems way out there but thats what this site is about right? A week before 911 I started getting a different sort of de ja vu. This came with a smell. It was typical de ja vu at first but became very frequent and accompanied by a specific smell. I ll describe the smell as best as I can. Have you ever been to a Halloween haunted house or a concert where they have the fake fog? It has a distinctive smell. Thats it. Anyway, Im not saying that I predicted anything, I had no idea of the 911 event about to take place only that the whole week before, i started off by having frequent bouts of de ja vu accompanied with this smell. I was in kind of a depressed state of mind that week and was talking to my uncle on the internet about it. I had expressed to him that I felt very strange and wasnt sure why I felt so un easy but feared leaving the house. As time progressed through the week the de ja vu and smell went from very frequent to constant. If i remember right, 911 was on a wed which was also the day that the de ja vu and smell went away. I still get de ja vu but it has not since been accompanied by the smell. Im sure there will be non believers but im telling truth. I dont no much about de ja vu but i wish i did. I have some of my own questions on that subject.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I don't understand how could the past be changed. If you do change it somehow, wouldn't that mean that there wouldn't be anything to change in the future (so you have no reason to travel back in time to change it). Who would actually be changing the past?

I think that there should be an infinite amount of realities if time travel backwards is possible. You can only travel to other realities but it would not have an effect on yours. Thoughts?

EDIT to add: Another thought. If there is only one reality, then the only kind of time travel that would be possible would be inadvertent. Simply because it did and will happen. This would explain some stories in this topic, including the one where the girl visits her younger self.
edit on 23-1-2011 by strato because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Well, if you really want to hear my story, here goes...

It was late one night back in 1985 or so, and an old friend called me to come help him with this project he was working on. I got over to this empty parking lot right near town, and he had his truck out there.

So were standing there yammering about what kind of crazy stuff he had planned, something about this special experiment he'd been working on for a long time, and he hit a button and the back of his truck came down, and a lot of smoke stuff came out, and this really weird sports car looking thing with a stainless steel exterior slid down the ramps.

I am overwhelmed! He puts his dog in the seat and sets the time to something like November 1955. This whole apparatus thing looked really weird and spooky kinda.

So anyway, he has this RC type control module, and says "when the car hits 88 miles an hour, you're really gonna see some !@#$!" So he revved the thing up and it took off. The craziest thing was, it frigging DISAPPEARED when it got to a certain speed! It let these weird streaks of fire on the ground it was going so fast!!

After about a minute, I was standing there about to crud in my pants and he jerked me out of the way, and the car all of the sudden re-appeared, going about the same speed. It screeched to a halt, and we went over and the car was real cold...like it had been in a freezer all night.

Long story short, my buddy had gotten some of his experiment stuff from some guys that had all kinds of crazy guns and stuff, and they came out there. They shot at us, yelled a bunch of haji mumbo jumbo at us, shot my buddy, and I only escaped when I jumped into the car and took off.

Just like he said, when it got to something like 88 miles an hour, it was this big flash of light and it's like I entered some kind of time warp...back to something like 1955, or whatever he had it set on before! The problem was, I didn't have any of the fuel stuff that I needed to crank the car up and get back to 1985. Man, I was bummed out cause being in 1955 is some kind of head freak!!

Anyway, while I was in this time warp or whatever you call it, I met my parents when they were kids, met my uncle joey, got into some fights with this real douchy guy that my dad worked for, met my grandparents after my granddad hit me with his car, went to some kind of dance, played the electric guitar for some guy that hurt his hand...all while it's 1955!! This crazy thing was, my mom was kind of hot for me, and I could have banged her, but who wants to bang their mom even if she is kind of hot?

I only got back because my buddy rigged up this weird mechanism that charged up the gigawatt capmacitor, or whatever he called it, and I managed to get back home to 1985.

Dude, it was WEIRD!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join