It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drugged up by Mountain Dew? Contains a painkiller and psychiatric medication?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
The phenylalanine is not added separately. It's a metabolic product of aspartame.
The warning of phenylalanine content is in bold because it can make people with phenylketonuria very ill.

I'd be more concerned about the aspartame, you couldn't pay me to consume that evil stuff.

Perhaps you should stop poisoning your body and spend your money on a good water filter instead. Properly filtered water actually tastes good. But don't be surprised if you get withdrawal symptoms for a few weeks. Mountain Dew is addictive.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by vermonster

My point is that anything taken in excess can be bad. If you take too much cough syrup- your brain bleeds...too much tylenol you could die---too much sugar you get fat...and too many cigarettes...lung cancer...see where I'm going with this?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Is this regional? The reason I ask is none of the different brands of soda in my house contain this on the label. I checked Mountain Dew, Mountain Dew Throwback, Coke, Sprite, and an assortment of off brand pop from Meijer Grocery. I know it comes in the diet versions which is why I steer clear of it. If it is regional...why?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBaskettIV

Well I live in Boston. We have one of the better populations to experiment on if you will. Lots of money here, very congested, easy to reach all audiences. I'm sure Boston isn't the only place with these labels, but we may be on the forefront of testing if you will.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreampsi
I was a religious Mt. Dew drinker. I drank it for 20 years at about 6-8 or more cans a day. Thank god that others out there kept speaking out about it until one day it hit me starting with the idea of carbonated water. I am happy to say I'm over 3 years clean from Mt. Dew and those other drugs. Just out of curiosity, I took a sip one day and I almost threw up. Drink the purest water you can find and never look back!

I want to add to your post here..

I was drinking MD for a long time, I was drinking between 2 and 7 2 litres a day for a along while. Back in 03 or so I decided to quit when i got real sick. I knew if i stopped drinking it would make me feel like crap so i did it when i was sick anyway..

Needless to say I do drink MD very very sparingly but i basically have stopped. I drink tea now to compensate for the lack of flavor in water now.

But yes it was real bad when i quit, I had a migraine for like a week straight i couldn't see light or hear noises because it would make me sick but i stuck with it. It was the best thing i could have done. I really do not miss drinking MD because i decided it was better for me.

Yes from drinking so much of that did destroy my teeth. My front 4 teeth are missing because of it and how much i drank. It didn't matter how much i brushed it still screwed my teeth up..

Needless to say I am glad I stopped drinking it when i did because of this stuff being in it. I am one of them people who when they see someone using sweet and low i tell them it kills rats from studies and known to cause cancer and other problems in humans.

edit on 1/21/2011 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

Wow man glad to hear you got off the dew. I was a pretty habitual soda drinker myself up until about 6 months ago. I started gaining weight due to a new desk job with a 3 hours daily commute. I simply didn't have time in the day to be fit...I changed my diet, made time, and I feel 100% better.

Soda was by far one of the hardest things to give up. I quit smoking cigarettes cold turkey about 4 months ago and I can honestly say that soda was harder for me to give up than smoking for many reasons.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Im sure the level of these socalled painkillers and whatnot are in such low levels that a mouse would not be harmed. Maybe you shouldnt be drinking mountain dew anyway, I heard it has a lot of sodium.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
No wonder Daniel Johnston loved it so much ...

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Smell The Roses

Not sure if you know. but it's a derivative of Aspartame. I'm allergic to it so I can't drink it.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by tasteslikethunder

Didnt seem to help ole Daniel out too much. I think he probably liked the sugar and the addictive caffiene which is far more of an issue that these trace amounts of this other garbage.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Smell The Roses
What is an analgesic? Analgesic is another word for a painkiller.The drug effects your peripheral and central nervous system. This is the same class of drugs that contains opiates such as morphine and opium.

It's also the same type of drug as aspirin and ibuprofen. Analgesic is a broad category. Using more specific categories, aspirin and ibuprofen are NSAIDs, while morphine and opium are opioids.

Phenylalanine is not an opioid.

There are enough reasons not to consume these chemicals for one not to have to resort to hyperbole just to make one's point. Keep it real.

edit on 21-1-2011 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I have a question I just looked on my pack of bubblicious gum and sugar is the first main ingrediant but yet there is phenylalanine in it. Why would they add it.. isnt sugar sweet enough?
It also lists aspartame... I thought this was only used in diet products as a artificial sweetener.

edit on 21-1-2011 by sterlingmoon because: Forgot to add

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
im not sure if anyone has made this distinction yet, but i read the first three pages and didnt see it.

seems like people are freaking out about "mountain dew" having this in it, when the OP clearly states that he bought "Diet Mountain Dew"

as far as i know, regular Mtn Dew does not have aspartame in it (i drink it a lot, and im kinda OCD about looking at the labels of everything i eat/drink). and i believe it is only Diet sodas that do have it.

just wanted to point that out.
edit on 21-1-2011 by The Mo because: spelling error corrected.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Smell The Roses

Everything is bad for you if you over-consume it. Phenylalanine comes in a lot of things, I know I have some in my protein shake. Of course it isn't healthy as say celery but our bodies can handle toxicity. Our bodies are meant to adapt and if you abuse your body by only drinking and eating crap than you will feel like crap.

Cancer doesn't happen as much to people who eat healthy and live a healthy lifestyle, but it does happen. Many diseases come from alcohol, tobacco, bad diet, and your environment. If you drink this crap once in a while it wouldn't be that bad. If you consume it on a daily basis and if your system is weak than you could be looking at some serious ailments.

You can get rid of a lot of ailments just by switching your diet.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I never have drank Mountain Dew because I keep hearing bad things about it every 5 years. Back in the 80's they had a special segment of our local news one night and it was about how Mountain Dew causes erectile dysfunction, or impotence. Even a few sitcoms over the years mention it in their special funny comedic way.

From the things I've heard over the years, I'd say Doing the Dew won't allow you to Do anybody over a period of time. I think it may be one of the most dangerous drinks out there, well, that and a few others, including Jolt, and Red Bull (many "energy" drinks in fact are harmful) especially.

I'd say before you "Do the Dew," do your research because due to the Dew, you might not be able to do a few things when it comes right down to it.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by tasteslikethunder
No wonder Daniel Johnston loved it so much ...

Ah you beat me to it

Was my first thought aswell...

Love Daniel.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by OneNationUnder
I never have drank Mountain Dew because I keep hearing bad things about it every 5 years. Back in the 80's they had a special segment of our local news one night and it was about how Mountain Dew causes erectile dysfunction, or impotence. Even a few sitcoms over the years mention it in their special funny comedic way.

From the things I've heard over the years, I'd say Doing the Dew won't allow you to Do anybody over a period of time. I think it may be one of the most dangerous drinks out there, well, that and a few others, including Jolt, and Red Bull (many "energy" drinks in fact are harmful) especially.

I'd say before you "Do the Dew," do your research because due to the Dew, you might not be able to do a few things when it comes right down to it.

Hah very well spoken! Another reason to stay away from the Dew!

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by sterlingmoon
I have a question I just looked on my pack of bubblicious gum and sugar is the first main ingrediant but yet there is phenylalanine in it. Why would they add it.. isnt sugar sweet enough?
It also lists aspartame... I thought this was only used in diet products as a artificial sweetener.

edit on 21-1-2011 by sterlingmoon because: Forgot to add

Well it is a good question why everything that is diet seems to contain this new drug in it? Why not keep things the same too? Why a change?

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Every single product that has either aspartame or sucarlose will carry that warning!

If you see it on a product you are going to purchase put it down and find one without it. Aspartame poisoning is not too pleasant.

Aspartame is to be avoided like your life depended on it. Do not consume any product laced with that poison as it has absolutely zero beneficial aspects to it. It is linked with 92 individual ailments and does way more harm then good.

If you consume any product with it and feel like crap a few hours later that continues for a day or two, this is the aspartame working its way through your body and you will feel like crap if your body don't get it. Detox yourself from this monster and avoid any product with it and you will see how great you feel mind - body - and soul.
edit on 22-1-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Smell The Roses
I bought some of the new diet Mountain Dew at the store. I was checking the label and noticed at the bottom of the ingredients list it reads PHENYLKETONURICS: CONTAINS PHENYLALANINE.

Ok, so what does this mean? First of all phenylalanine, is sold for its reputed analgesic and antidepressant effects.

What is an analgesic? Analgesic is another word for a painkiller.The drug effects your peripheral and central nervous system. This is the same class of drugs that contains opiates such as morphine and opium. This is heavy stuff for modern day Mountain Dew?

So now what about the antidepressant effects? An antidepressant is a psychiatric medication, which is basically taken to exert an effect on the mental state of a a person. This type of drug is usually only prescribed to people with heavy depression problems in psychiatric settings. These drugs effect your mental state so heavily that they can create peaks and crashes of moods.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/46773e66cbb8.jpeg[/atsimg]

To give the word "analgesic" a fair definition you must also point out that it includes aspirin, acetaminophen, ibuprofen, etc.. Not just the opiates you listed. That can be very misleading.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join