It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drugged up by Mountain Dew? Contains a painkiller and psychiatric medication?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Smell The Roses

Actually this is a big to do about nothing. You are acting as if Phenylalanine is a drug...it is not. In fact it is an essential amino acid, so you need it in your diet. Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. It is also used as a dietary supplement by some people because of its supposed analgesic and antidepressant effects....In other words you might find it in a health food store beside the St. Johns Wart.
In fact its found in protein-rich foods, such as cheese, nuts, seeds, poultry and fish. It's also found in diet foods, such as diet soda, which contains aspartame. Its even found in Breast Milk, and the regular Cow Milk you buy from any supermarket.

Diet sodas contain a warning about phenylalanine because it can pose a risk to people who have phenylketonuria (PKU). PKU is a rare condition in which the body cannot process phenylalanine. If you don't have PKU, don't worry about phenylalanine in your diet soda.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Same ingredient is in all chewing gum, some people cannot properly metabolize it and some studies show mental retardation can result as it builds up in your blood:
www.medhelp.org...

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64
To give the word "analgesic" a fair definition you must also point out that it includes aspirin, acetaminophen, ibuprofen, etc.. Not just the opiates you listed. That can be very misleading.

Actually that word has been linked to the wiki definition from the min this was posted. Couldn't be less misleading could I?

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
phenylalanine is also one of the main ingredients in laxative, so don't drink too much of the mountain dew and chew gum at the same time otherwise SHTF might take on new meaning for you!

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreampsi

I was a religious Mt. Dew drinker. I drank it for 20 years at about 6-8 or more cans a day. Thank god that others out there kept speaking out about it until one day it hit me starting with the idea of carbonated water. I am happy to say I'm over 3 years clean from Mt. Dew and those other drugs. Just out of curiosity, I took a sip one day and I almost threw up. Drink the purest water you can find and never look back!

Twenty year Mt. Dew drinker here, too. Until last month. I refused to bring another Dew into my house and I've been
clean for a month now. I drank it 24/7. Always had one within arms reach. It doesn't even tempt me to buy one anymore.
Never thought I could do it, but I surprised myself.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
I drank diet pepsi for about 11 years until I started having blurred vision and leg pains. I kept going to the doctor thinking I had a brain tumor. Then it hit me it might be the diet pop. This is back in the 90's before I got the internet. When I tried to quit drinking it I went back to regular soda for awhile, and I still suffered bad withdrawal effects while stopping the aspartame version. I felt shaky, sick all over, jittery, and couldn't sleep good for a few months. This stuff is poison.

I'm convinced that years and years of aspartame use by my mom contributed to her heart issues too.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Smell The Roses

Originally posted by DAVID64
To give the word "analgesic" a fair definition you must also point out that it includes aspirin, acetaminophen, ibuprofen, etc.. Not just the opiates you listed. That can be very misleading.

Actually that word has been linked to the wiki definition from the min this was posted. Couldn't be less misleading could I?

Actually yeah, you could be. You specifically chose to associate the word analgesic with the opiate drug class, including morphine and opium. While not incorrect, it could very well be misleading - especially when adding your own conclusion that it is "pretty heavy stuff". You could just as easily associated phenylalanine with analgesics like those DAVID64 mentioned, or even with the likes of vitamin b-5, menthol, or kava kava... but those just aren't as scary now are they.

Also, your thread title states that Mountain Dew contains a "psychiatric medication". Although this may not be technically incorrect, based on whatever your definition of "medication" is, I think it carries the implication that phenylalanine is prescribed to patients suffering from illnesses like major depression or psychosis - which is not true. Again, it would have been less misleading to associate phenylalanine more akin to saffron or st. johns wort.

As mentioned already the warning on the label is there for people who suffer from PKU.

Also hopefully by now you realize that, again as already posted, the phenylalanine metabolized from the aspartame sweetener is in fact an essential amino acid. You already have it in your body. You probably already ingested some today if you've had any beef, poultry, pork, fish, milk, yogurt, eggs, cheese, soy products, or certain nuts and seeds. In fact, if you don't get enough in your diet, you could start to suffer from any number of symptoms: confusion, lack of energy, depression, decreased alertness, memory problems, and lack of appetite.

Hopefully this resolves that "Ok, so what does this mean?" question from your OP.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I remember hearing about a professional athlete ( i forget who and what sport) who stopped drinking THE DEW after drinking it heavily for months and he had withdrawal symptoms!

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
i just got a 12 pack of Mountain Dew made with real sugar and it's delicious. i prefer Coca-Cola but the real-sugar Dew is a treat.

diet soda, light beer - does not make sense to me. then again, i smoke 3 packs a day.

if you really give a damn about your body, don't drink any of that crap. it's that simple. some people seek good health and they eat & drink very well. they treat their bodies like temples.

go with water, real fruit juice or Juicy juice. Juicy juice is so juicy you can water it down, and it's also a great mixer for cocktails.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by sterlingmoon

bubblicious used to be my favorite gum until they put Aspartame into it unnecessarily. now I've switched to BFresh and Zapp which are Xylitol sweetened only.

I actively avoid aspartame and I consider it extremely rude that companies continue to put it in foods. I will happily boycott any company that continues to do so until they either go out of business or they stop using aspartame. Unfortunately, it probably won't happen and in a few years even the corn will be genetically modified to contain aspartame.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by h1satsu

Time to stay away from it I guess.

This sucks. Soda will never be good for you but for pete's sake, why can't we have soda without this nasty stuff in it?

YOU CAN...try buying Organic food and drinks, everything that you normally buy is available in Organic form....

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
All I can add is that phenylanalin breaks down into formaldehyde at normal body temperature.

I became very intrigued by these phenylketonuric warnings and realized you can't find any gum that doesn't have this warning. Go to any "standard consumer" type retail setting and try to find any kind of gum, or mint, or any other sugar free crap that awaits you in the checkout line that does not contain this shtuff. I've basically realized that if you eat what "average america" eats, it is IMPOSSIBLE to avoid artificial ingredients.

Most of us can't afford food that isn't synthetic, but how is it cheaper to add all of these chemicals. Than to simply farm organic? (which used to be conventional).

Grow your own... it's probably the best hobby you could have.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Monsterenergy791
I don't know if there's a conspiracy here or what, but I usually try to avoid aspartame for the most part.
As for phenylalanine--well, I'm sure it's almost as bad as aspartame, but I do have it sometimes. One product I know that has phenylalanine are those 5-Hour Energy shots.

I know one thing, when they stopped putting pseudoephedrine in antihistamine meds they started putting in phenylalanine....

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Mountain Dew was originally slang for moonshine

"There's a big hollow tree
Down the road here from me
Where you lay down a dollar or two.
Then you go around the bend
When you come back again
There's a jugful of mountain dew.
CHORUS:
Oh, they call it that old mountain dew
And them that refuse it are few.
Oh, I'll shut up my mug
If you'll fill up my jug
With that good old mountain dew.
Well, there's my old Aunt June
Bought some brand new perfume
It had such a sweet smellin' phew.
But to her surprise, when she had it analyzed
It was nothing but good old mountain dew.

And there's Uncle Mort
He's sawed off and short.
He's just five feet and one inch or two.
But he thinks he's a giant
When he gets him a pint
Of that good old mountain dew.

Now, there's Uncle Bill
Got a still on the hill
Where he runs off a gallon or two.
And the buzzards in the sky
Get so dizzy they can't fly
Just from smelling that mountain dew."

This is a song called Good Old Mountain Dew by Bascom L. Lunsford.
Dont ask me why I know this song. I grew up in Texas. Enough said. So they named this drink after moonshine, a concoction that would be labeled as a solvent if sold in Home Depot. There should be no surprise about finding unpronounceable chemicals in this stuff.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
the conspiracy is that there is no conspiracy ,
they plainly prompt the warning text on the side
that it contains poison

i mean i guess the paradox is that just because they enlighten you of its danger,
it makes it more safe to consume (buy) ,

and using same logic , i guess i could take a zip lock bag and fill it with cyanide
write something on the side like , danger

then when someone askes me what the heck im doing , i can calmy say ,
Hey im fully aware of its dangers , ?

imagien if everything in the world was that easy ....

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by enemoplem

I dont know if this story ever turned out to be true or not, but I read many years ago that some believed that the Gulf War syndrome was in part due to the pallets of diet soda being left out in the 120 degree sun in the middle east and then chilled and consumed by our soldiers. The aspartame turns into wood alcohol.
There are probably a lot of things that the gulf war syndrome was blamed on but from what I know of Aspartame, I wont put it past this.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by dnvrliz

Very interesting. I was in two of the OIF wars, not the gulf war, but I can vouch for sodas being left out in the heat. I was a supply Marine. A box kicker. We would go out to the flight line and pick up pallets that had been dropped by Chinooks. Lines and lines of them. Full of everything from sodas to medical supplies. All of it baking for hours in the heat. Good thing I don't drink sodas.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Smell The Roses

I'm a painkiller addict, I'm currently on suboxone and I think there may be something to this. When I drink 4 or more Dew's it really does give me more energy and make me feel better. Which is the reason I started popping painkillers...

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by someguy420
All I can add is that phenylanalin breaks down into formaldehyde at normal body temperature.

I became very intrigued by these phenylketonuric warnings and realized you can't find any gum that doesn't have this warning. Go to any "standard consumer" type retail setting and try to find any kind of gum, or mint, or any other sugar free crap that awaits you in the checkout line that does not contain this shtuff. I've basically realized that if you eat what "average america" eats, it is IMPOSSIBLE to avoid artificial ingredients.

Most of us can't afford food that isn't synthetic, but how is it cheaper to add all of these chemicals. Than to simply farm organic? (which used to be conventional).

Grow your own... it's probably the best hobby you could have.

I beg to differ on the "Cant afford food that isn't synthetic". I am as poor as they come and I wont put anything in my body that is not pure, I don't have the option either, I was poisoned years ago and my body never recovered. I have found that I can pay less for good food and I don't have to buy as much either, synthetic food is geared to make you want to eat more and it does nothing for your body, your body has to keep eating because it is not getting any nutrients from that crap food.
I can find all sorts of sales on Organic food because stores have to get rid of it when it does not sell and it wont last long.
I can go to the Grocery Outlet stores, once known as The Cannery, and they have tons of Organics. Cheaper than you could ever imagine.
There is no excuse for not buying local or organic, its just a matter of how much you love your health.

I am not trying to be mean here, I just get really upset when people say this, because it is not true.....
edit on 22-1-2011 by dnvrliz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
wood alcohol might be a very real contributor towards brain damage and internal damages,
another one can be depleted uranium ,

but them two only contribute to imminent physical damage .

but stress disorder is/has something to do with trauma ,

damage of mind

completely different areas of "illness" but illness/es non the less

but one thing that might be even checkable for a civilian is that

how many of the recruits enlisted without glasses/spectacles and with what eyesight (20/20?) and if possible since school age and what not with stats,

and how many of them have since home deployment from a war zone began to wear glasses and with what eyesight

wood alcohol affects the eyes , an other one to check would be diabetes how it was before and after, must be tons of piss tests where they check sugar levels and what not kidney / liver functions
and a third one would be but id assume its very small , to check for cancer in the abdom / prostate area and compare at stats but , i d take it one of them stats is x , but if the rate is not any grater then the "publics" then just as common what ever that is for an answer,

but then again medical records of soldiers can be very hard to come by even with a foia,
so the only way to check it would be to come forward freely ,

who knoews

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join