It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drugged up by Mountain Dew? Contains a painkiller and psychiatric medication?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Smell The Roses
I bought some of the new diet Mountain Dew at the store. I was checking the label and noticed at the bottom of the ingredients list it reads PHENYLKETONURICS: CONTAINS PHENYLALANINE.

Your ignorance ASTOUNDS me. Phenylalanine is an AMINO ACID!!!!!!! Alanine is another amino acid. Phenylalanine is alanine is a phenyl group attached to it.

The reason they have to mention it is because some people lack the enzymes to break down phenylalanine. As a result if they have too much in their diet their brain gets damaged. We have figured ways to identify this disease before birth and now manage people's diets.

Please actually read about what a phenylketonuric is. Christ.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I am a recovering mountain dew junkie, and to tell you the truth, the worst thing I got from drinking years of Mt Dew was acid erosion of my teeth becuase of all the acid. It was amazing becuase when I worked for an environmental company...I had to go do a soda cleanup at a Pepsi plant in Albany NY, the NYS DEC treated all the spilled pepsi and MT Dew like it was hazardous waste!!! The truck spilled tons of soad cans all over their driveway, becuase the soda contains phosphoric acid and other hazardous chemicals aswell..THE STATE OF NY DEC considers this hazardous waste...no wonder my teeth are almost gone from the acid...Acid erosion of the teeth is a big thing, that could lead to pain sensitivity and thousands of $$$ in crowns...SODA IS BAD!!!!

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Just don't take my pepsi away.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by glaucon

Originally posted by glaucon

I bought some of the new diet Mountain Dew at the store. I was checking the label and noticed at the bottom of the ingredients list it reads PHENYLKETONURICS: CONTAINS PHENYLALANINE.

Your ignorance ASTOUNDS me. Phenylalanine is an AMINO ACID!!!!!!! Alanine is another amino acid. Phenylalanine is alanine is a phenyl group attached to it.

The reason they have to mention it is because some people lack the enzymes to break down phenylalanine. As a result if they have too much in their diet their brain gets damaged. We have figured ways to identify this disease before birth and now manage people's diets.

Methinks you may have missed the point, glaucon: phenylalanine's effects are "analgesic and antidepressant" - we are being drugged. Nothing much to do with phenylketonuria except as you say, mandates manufacturer disclosure.

phenylalanine, is sold for its reputed analgesic and antidepressant effects.

What is an analgesic? Analgesic is another word for a painkiller.The drug effects your peripheral and central nervous system. This is the same class of drugs that contains opiates such as morphine and opium. This is heavy stuff for modern day Mountain Dew?

So now what about the antidepressant effects? An antidepressant is a psychiatric medication, which is basically taken to exert an effect on the mental state of a a person. This type of drug is usually only prescribed to people with heavy depression problems in psychiatric settings. These drugs effect your mental state so heavily that they can create peaks and crashes of moods.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by glaucon

yeah, i tried that whole denying ignorance thing back on page 2 and was accused of derailing. someone came along that did some "research" in a "medical library" which backed up the OP......and suddenly my biology degree was treated like it came in a cracker-jack box. naturally, no actual information or exchange of ideas took place to substantiate the claims.

OP has no respect.
OP does not deny ignorance.
OP is drunk on hype.

have fun, everyone!

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
reply to post by glaucon

Methinks you may have missed the point, glaucon: phenylalanine's effects are "analgesic and antidepressant" - we are being drugged. Nothing much to do with phenylketonuria except as you say, mandates manufacturer disclosure.

phenylalanine, is sold for its reputed analgesic and antidepressant effects.

What is an analgesic? Analgesic is another word for a painkiller.The drug effects your peripheral and central nervous system. This is the same class of drugs that contains opiates such as morphine and opium. This is heavy stuff for modern day Mountain Dew?

So now what about the antidepressant effects? An antidepressant is a psychiatric medication, which is basically taken to exert an effect on the mental state of a a person. This type of drug is usually only prescribed to people with heavy depression problems in psychiatric settings. These drugs effect your mental state so heavily that they can create peaks and crashes of moods.

Yeah, but so is Tylenol, Cough Medicine. It doesn't matter if it is a drug or not. I bet $100,000 that no one here gives a [snip] abou the other ingredients such as:

# Citrus pectin
# Potassium benzoate (preserves freshness)
# Aspartame
# Potassium citrate
# Caffeine (36 mg/8 fl.oz.) -- equates to 54 mg/12 fl.oz.
# Sodium citrate
# Acesulfame potassium
# Sucralose
# Gum arabic
# Sodium benzoate (preserves freshness)
# Calcium disodium EDTA
# Brominated vegetable oil

You all need to understand that Phenylalanine comes from within your body, and the amount they put in the Dew isnt even close to dangerous.

"Accordingly, all products in Australia, the U.S. and Canada that contain aspartame must be labeled: "Phenylketonurics: Contains phenylalanine." In the UK, foods containing aspartame must carry ingredient panels that refer to the presence of "aspartame or E951" [4] and they must be labeled with a warning "Contains a source of phenylalanine." These warnings are specifically placed to aid individuals who suffer from PKU so that they can avoid such foods."

I know its fun to spin stories, but it doesn't look good for us when people start making a conspiracy out of every little thing they see.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

I understood his point. I appreciate your trying to clear things up, but the fact is we are not being drugged. By your logic, whenever we eat meat we are being drugged since they contain large amounts of phenylalanine as amino acids are the building blocks of protein. Once again I reiterate that the founder of this post is ignorant.

Please see www.livestrong.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I was shocked to see it listed as a ingrediant... I never bothered to check before because I thought they only put it in diet products! Hmmmm makes me wonder if its in any other non diet products I have laying around.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by glaucon

By your logic, whenever we eat meat we are being drugged

By my logic, whenever we eat any processed food we are being drugged.

...ingredients in their natural source have hugely different effects than as additives.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

I bet $100,000 that no one here gives a [snip] abou the other ingredients such as:

# Citrus pectin
# Potassium benzoate (preserves freshness)
# Aspartame
# Potassium citrate
# Caffeine (36 mg/8 fl.oz.) -- equates to 54 mg/12 fl.oz.
# Sodium citrate
# Acesulfame potassium
# Sucralose
# Gum arabic
# Sodium benzoate (preserves freshness)
# Calcium disodium EDTA
# Brominated vegetable oil

Oh yes we do.

You all need to understand that Phenylalanine comes from within your body,

The Phenylalanine in Mountain Dew does NOT "come from within my body."

the amount they put in the Dew isnt even close to dangerous.

PROVE IT.

...Moreover, whether or not getting dosed with painkillers and anti-depressants is considered medically dangerous, it is arguably socially dangerous - and NOT desirable by me.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

By my logic, whenever we eat any processed food we are being drugged.

...ingredients in their natural source have hugely different effects than as additives.

As an additive it is chemically the same. Your argument means nothing. If it were chemically altered there would be an issue. However, it is not as it is still the same alpha amino acid that is found in meat.

I would be more worried about the other ingredients in the drink, like outrageous amounts of sugar. That is much more likely to harm you in the form of obesity or diabetes. Phenylalanine is harmless.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

As an additive it is chemically the same. Your argument means nothing.

Context is everything, my friend. Check out Complex systems biology:

Mutual relationships exist between the microscopic components (elements) and the macroscopic average (whole). ...even if each element is completely identical, through interactions they can differentiate.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Reply to post by liejunkie01

Well this is rather odd, I live in northern Kentucky. I am sipping on a 20 oz bottle of Regular Mountain Dew, read this thread and happened to look at the label on the bottle. Couldn't find the warning, looked again, looked again, not there. Why would aspartamebe in somebut not in others? Is it strictly in diet, or throwback? Is it only in some states and not others? Are they targeting certain consumers? This is rather intriguing and slightly frightening.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

while the article you linked to is about "complex" systems, it states quite plainly that it is ultimately searching for simple descriptions about complex interactions.

you seem to be doing the opposite: invoking a complex description of complex interactions.

here, i will induce a simple description that my father would frequently use while i was growing up:

"it makes a turd."

do you ever find the search for counterintuitive solutions tiring?
edit on 22-1-2011 by tgidkp because: that was a joke, by the way.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
No use arguing. What has become of this site?

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by tgidkp

Haw. Haw.

It also says " ...even if each element is completely identical, through interactions they can differentiate." Means they can shapeshift and have different effects.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroReady
reply to post by dnvrliz

Very interesting. I was in two of the OIF wars, not the gulf war, but I can vouch for sodas being left out in the heat. I was a supply Marine. A box kicker. We would go out to the flight line and pick up pallets that had been dropped by Chinooks. Lines and lines of them. Full of everything from sodas to medical supplies. All of it baking for hours in the heat. Good thing I don't drink sodas.

I looked into the gulf war syndrome because it was of personal interest to me, the symptoms were the same. I also learned that MS has been linked to diet soda.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerbot565
wood alcohol might be a very real contributor towards brain damage and internal damages,
another one can be depleted uranium ,

but them two only contribute to imminent physical damage .

but stress disorder is/has something to do with trauma ,

damage of mind

completely different areas of "illness" but illness/es non the less

but one thing that might be even checkable for a civilian is that

how many of the recruits enlisted without glasses/spectacles and with what eyesight (20/20?) and if possible since school age and what not with stats,

and how many of them have since home deployment from a war zone began to wear glasses and with what eyesight

wood alcohol affects the eyes , an other one to check would be diabetes how it was before and after, must be tons of piss tests where they check sugar levels and what not kidney / liver functions
and a third one would be but id assume its very small , to check for cancer in the abdom / prostate area and compare at stats but , i d take it one of them stats is x , but if the rate is not any grater then the "publics" then just as common what ever that is for an answer,

but then again medical records of soldiers can be very hard to come by even with a foia,
so the only way to check it would be to come forward freely ,

who knoews

One of the gulf war syndrome problems was the children being born to some US soldiers returning home were born with major defects, this was blamed on DU but it could also be wood alcohol poisoning, it also makes men infertile.

I found this on a blog :
DIET COKE CAUSED GULF WAR SYNDROME

In an effort to support our troops, the Coca-Cola corporation sent bazillions of cases of Coke, Diet Coke, and many other coke products to the troops for free. These cans were not refrigerated when they were stored, they were simply cooled prior to being served.

A little known fact about aspartame, the sweetening agent in NutraSweet, is that it begins to devolve into methyl alcohol (aka wood alcohol) above 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Wood alcohol poisoning has many similarities to Gulf War syndrome, which means that Monsanto colluded with the military to poison our troops!!!!!

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Here is some reading you might enjoy:

www.aspartamekills.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by LuckyOscar

Originally posted by dnvrliz

I know one thing, when they stopped putting pseudoephedrine in antihistamine meds they started putting in phenylalanine....

I think you may be confusing phenylalanine with phenylephrine - a nasal decongestant drug that replaced pseudoephedrine in many OTC cold/sinus products due to meth production concerns

You are right...I checked, it is phenylephrine. My bad !!!
Yeah when that meth thing came about and they took out pseudophedrine, decongestant medications dont work for poo anymore...thanks alot tweekers, spoil it for the really sick people.
You can still buy pseudophedrine, but you have to go ask at the pharmacy for it and sign a registry...makes ya feel like a criminal.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join