It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drugged up by Mountain Dew? Contains a painkiller and psychiatric medication?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I bought some of the new diet Mountain Dew at the store. I was checking the label and noticed at the bottom of the ingredients list it reads PHENYLKETONURICS: CONTAINS PHENYLALANINE.

Ok, so what does this mean? First of all phenylalanine, is sold for its reputed analgesic and antidepressant effects.

What is an analgesic? Analgesic is another word for a painkiller.The drug effects your peripheral and central nervous system. This is the same class of drugs that contains opiates such as morphine and opium. This is heavy stuff for modern day Mountain Dew?

So now what about the antidepressant effects? An antidepressant is a psychiatric medication, which is basically taken to exert an effect on the mental state of a a person. This type of drug is usually only prescribed to people with heavy depression problems in psychiatric settings. These drugs effect your mental state so heavily that they can create peaks and crashes of moods.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/46773e66cbb8.jpeg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Smell The Roses

Wow I thought this stuff was only in diet mountain dew.

I saw this stuff in some mikes hard lemonade a while ago and thought to myself what the heck is that!? (yes i buy mikes hard lemonade...shut up)

so I did some research on the chemical and it seems like its basically the same thing as aspartame which seems to be getting a bad reputation and I'm not surprised. the research I did said it can kills brain cells and do nasty stuff to your brain...but then again so can cough medicine.. so you have to take everything with a grain of salt. for me though- I'm gonna steer clear of that stuff anyways.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

*wait! I apparently am partaking in those 'opiates' right now, as I didn't understand the OP for what it is...

Opiates..?! No dude...we pounded those things daily and I guarantee everyones heart beat was up tempo...the only depressant was not beingable to go to the E Club...

This drink was more than available than most during basic training - makes sense now...

And considering you got smoked for falling asleep, I'd have to say that the recipe should NOT be changed...

edit on 20-1-2011 by facelift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by freedish

Well actually if you read the label it contains Aspartame and Phenylalanine. Not good if you ask me. They are sneaking in some heavy stuff into the most marketed soda drink in America? Um.........

And as for the cough medicine thing. Cough medicine doesn't get guzzled down like Mountain Dew. Not even in the same ballpark as far as consumption levels go. This is way more serious in terms of widespread use.
edit on 20-1-2011 by Smell The Roses because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

wasn't there a documentary about hill folk being addicted to this stuff?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Phenylalanine

L-Phenylalanine is produced for...aspartame

Aspartame

Aspartame is a methyl ester of the aspartic acid/phenylalanine dipeptide

It's aspartame, which is a fun thing to discuss on a conspiracy forum.

I'm not sure how you got painkillers and medication out of aspartame either.

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Whyhi

I don't know, probably from the links I put in the post...I couldn't have explained it more clearly. I guess some people need the dots connected exactly for them to understand certain concepts and I thought I did a good job...

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I dont know what Phenyl-whatever is either. I have drunk Diet Mountain Dew everyday - for years!!! The side affects - if I drink too much, like a 1 liter in the course of a day, I have a tough time sleeping that night.

I found this on the internet - so you its accurate
Phenylalanine is a hidden danger to anyone consuming aspartame. Most consumers don't know that too much Phenylalanine is a neurotoxin and excites the neurons in the brain to the point of cellular death.

Well, Im 48, so we'll see what a lifetime of Diet Mountain Dew does to someone.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedish

Wow I thought this stuff was only in diet mountain dew.

yes and countless other products, just walk into any connivence store and pick up a pack of gum

the research I did said it can kills brain cells and do nasty stuff to your brain...but then again so can cough medicine.. so you have to take everything with a grain of salt. for me though- I'm gonna steer clear of that stuff anyways.

oooooookay.......so let me get this straight. your logic is this: if cough medicine "kills brain cells" and aspartame does too, then it might not be bad?

did I get that right? If i didn't please correct me.

Glad to hear you are staying away from poison tho, 1 star for you young grasshopper.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by liveyourlife

What are the side effects if you don't drink it? That would be the question I am interested in. When did it even come out on the market? I thought this stuff was fairly new?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Whyhi

I think you should read the Wiki about it that the name links too.

en.wikipedia.org...

Gives full description of what this is, and with its hook into dopemine production this is highly addictive stuff,

A non-food source of phenylalanine is the artificial sweetener aspartame. This compound, sold under the trade names "Equal" and "NutraSweet", is metabolized by the body into several chemical byproducts including phenylalanine. The breakdown problems phenylketonurics have with protein and the attendant build up of phenylalanine in the body also occurs with the ingestion of aspartame, although to a lesser degree. Accordingly, all products in Australia, the U.S. and Canada that contain aspartame must be labeled: "Phenylketonurics: Contains phenylalanine." In the UK, foods containing aspartame must carry ingredient panels that refer to the presence of "aspartame or E951" [4] and they must be labeled with a warning "Contains a source of phenylalanine." These warnings are specifically placed to aid individuals who suffer from PKU so that they can avoid such foods.

Geneticists have recently sequenced the genome of macaques. Their investigations have found "some instances where the normal form of the macaque protein looks like the diseased human protein" including markers for PKU.[5]

This stuff is both a powerful addictive drug AND related to their chemical sweetener, I guess gum would be the same too, I have not gotten gum for the kids for ages, only at halloween did they manage to get some, due to the aspartame.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Wow, I work at a grocery store and I noticed this toda actually on a box of throwback Mountain Dew. I was like wtf? Now, here I am running across this.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
reply to post by Whyhi

This stuff is both a powerful addictive drug AND related to their chemical sweetener, I guess gum would be the same too, I have not gotten gum for the kids for ages, only at halloween did they manage to get some, due to the aspartame.

Yeah this is my main idea behind the problem with this. It causes an addiction and something that will effect mood levels if not sustained. The question is how much is in the stuff? Surely they will slowly up the dosages...

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

as of 2008, Mountain Dew had surpassed Diet Coke to become the third most popular soft drink in the U.S.[2] Mountain Dew's Diet version ranked 9th in sales.

en.wikipedia.org...

bery bery interesting....

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by h1satsu
Wow, I work at a grocery store and I noticed this toda actually on a box of throwback Mountain Dew. I was like wtf? Now, here I am running across this.

Yeah man I have been drinking this stuff for a bit and this label is certainly new. It didn't have this extra bold lettering, almost like a warning, on the bottom before. This is fairly new.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whyhi

Phenylalanine

L-Phenylalanine is produced for...aspartame

Aspartame

Aspartame is a methyl ester of the aspartic acid/phenylalanine dipeptide

It's aspartame, which is a fun thing to discuss on a conspiracy forum.

I'm not sure how you got painkillers and medication out of aspartame either.

Yeah, you just need to click on the links. lol

Phenylalanine is found naturally in the breast milk of mammals. It is used in the manufacture of food and drink products and sold as a nutritional supplement for its reputed analgesic and antidepressant effects. It is a direct precursor to the neuromodulator phenylethylamine, a commonly used dietary supplement.

en.wikipedia.org...

"analgesics" are used to numb/kill pain.
hence "painkiller" and "antidepressant effects" (medicine)

quite simple.

eh, i stopped drinking any kind of soda years ago, anyway.
at least 9-10 years ago.

you peeps want soda, have at it. lol

p.s..
this has been on the MD labels, and MANY other labels for many years,
it's nothing new.

This is the first time youve decided to look at what your putting in you, OP?
tsk tsk. lol

This is definitely not new.

edit on 20-1-2011 by Ahmose because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Smell The Roses

Originally posted by h1satsu

Yeah man I have been drinking this stuff for a bit and this label is certainly new. It didn't have this extra bold lettering, almost like a warning, on the bottom before. This is fairly new.

Hmm, I can neither confirm nor deny the label change on diet mountain dew

I can tell you that the ingredient in question is in A LOT of soda, candy & gum and is always either in bold uppercase lettering or in bright red.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by gougitousakusha

wasn't there a documentary about hill folk being addicted to this stuff?

...i saw one about generational poverty / welfare in appalachia that focused on mountain dew consumption and how it rotted their teeth like nothing else... people were even giving it to babies and by the time a kid started school, most had severe dental damage that, of course, would only get worse... its common to have no teeth or just a few or false teeth by teenage years... a traveling dentist called it mountain dew syndrome...

...imo, it cant be any worse than coke... afterall, you can pour some on corroded battery terminals and it eats the corrosion - so it doesnt take genius to figure out what that does to you internally...

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I used to love pop up untill two years ago

Now I am repulsed by it, I can drink the occasional can of sprite or something

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Yeah,
look at Pepsi Max as well!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join