It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michael Moore - People own guns because they're fearful racists.

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
People from the UK have much less to worry about. What is the largest animal in the UK? The neighbors dog? Yeah...down here in Texas we have 700lb hogs, bobcats, mountain lions, coyotes, foxes, wolves, and an occasional badger.

Add to that, in my town of 30k people we have 6 prisons and a mental health hospital that houses "forensic" patients. Yeah, i am keeping my guns.

A shotgun is not the issue here. (in the UK, you can get shotguns (farming and whatnot)). Handguns are the issue. You don't hunt or protect against wildlife with handguns, you use shotguns.

I fully support shotguns..hell, would give everyone a shotgun on earth if it was possible. They are big, bulky, and will in a pinch protect against home invasions on the occasional time it happens. You also need some knowledge to use it. a handgun has a specific purpose...that being, to kill humans quickly.

I think handguns need to have some serious rules on them...longer waiting period, a safety course, etc etc etc...basically institute the canadian way of doing things. This would secure the right, but not before they showed the ability.

I hunt quite a bit. When i do, i carry a .22 or a .25. Not because it will bring down a deer, but because it is easy to carry a sidearm while hunting, and it is the best way to kill a rattler that I have found. My 30-30 sure would kill a snake, but with that kind of power the risk of ricochet is very real (i have been buzzed by a round that ricochet off a tree limb, about 2 weeks ago).

This spring i will plant a garden. My .22 works excellently as a varmint gun, as well. Compared to a shotgun or my deer rifle, $15 for a box of 550 .22 rounds is much more affordable.

While they may be good for killing people, i generally see a sidearm as being more like a good way to carry an additional weapon without having your hands tied up.

I view guns as tools, machines. A handgun is just a portable version of that. Although, i can see the complaints about the Glock or a snub nose, as they do seem to be made solely for concealability (and a .38 special will make someone dead real quick). I guess, like a chainsaw, it is only dangerous in the hands of a madman.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I am so tired of hearing people B. eye T.C.H about gun ownership in America.

Please feel free to read the remainder of my post here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
Handgun hunting is very popular.
So a shotgun can't be used to kill a person? Your logic is flawed.
A shotgun kills the same as a pistol, rifle or knife.

Yes, but there is a philosophical difference, and psychological

handgun hunting...bah, no need for that. might as well just make a case to hunt with granades.

A shotgun requires alot of intent. its fumbling around with a actual large tool, yes, it will still go off randomly, target the wrong person, etc...but there is a extra moment of sanity needed.
And its not very easy to conceal a shotgun..you cant just tuck it down your pants and walk into a supermarket...you need to sling it over your back (or wear a very long trenchcoat). Also, if someone goes nuts with a shotgun, a simple tackling of him removes the danger...a person with a handgun tackled can keep shooting and killing.

I am not saying ban handguns, I am saying control its sale to only safe and sane owners. Which part of this sounds bad?

All of it. More Govt control? No thanks. You can keep it confined within your country please.
The argument of a shotgun being fumbling? Obviously you have never seen nor trained with a shotgun. I can do more damage with a shotgun then with a pistol. Again, your logic is flawed.
Vomit just called, and said poop stinks.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by HattoriHanzou

British people calling for gun control in the USA makes me think we should have teamed up with Germany in WWI and finished you bastards off for good.

Keep the heck away from our 2nd amendment.
edit on 20-1-2011 by HattoriHanzou because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
This is not about personal verbal attacks, or intimidation of others due to diffferences in beliefs,
It boils down to respecting eachother inspite of the possible differences,

Finding out the person I was about to save was not a gun proponent wouldnt create a situation where I would change my mind and stop the process.

These opinion based (and they are opinions) arguments are non threatening and mostly worthless time wasters.
If your happy not being armed that's great,
If youre happy being armed, also great, but let's not pretend that excuses are reasons to hold a position based on an individuals need, and it IS a need.
The Need to feel protected and able to defend and respond to a threat.

When bad guys are all taken care of with 'well wishes and hopes" and unicorns and rainbows are right outside our front doors, I'll develop a different outlook.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by HappilyEverAfter
When bad guys are all taken care of with 'well wishes and hopes" and unicorns and rainbows are right outside our front doors, I'll develop a different outlook.

500 deadily home invasions a year
1/3rd of the home owners from that number shot with their own gun the burgler either found in the home, or disarmed from the person

Top 10 causes of death in America:
(1) Diseases of the heart heart attack (mainly) 28.5%
(2) Malignant neoplasms cancer 22.8%
(3) Cerebrovascular disease stroke 6.7%
(4) Chronic lower respiratory disease emphysema, chronic bronchitis 5.1%
(5) Unintentional injuries accidents 4.4%
(6) Diabetes mellitus diabetes 3.0%
(7) Influenza and pneumonia flu & pneumonia 2.7%
(8) Alzheimer's Disease Alzheimer's senility 2.4%
(9) Nephritis and Nephrosis kidney disease 1.7%
(10) Septicemia systemic infection 1.4%
(11) Intentional self-harm suicide 1.3%
(12) Chronic Liver/Cirrhosis liver disease 1.1%
(13) Essential Hypertension high blood pressure 0.8%
(14) Assault homicide 0.7%
(15) All other causes other 17.4%

Why are we so concerned about #14...(home invasions are just a fraction of a percent of the 0.7%)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColeYounger
They're smug, impudent creeps who think they are all-wise and all-knowing, and despise anyone who would even presume to have a difference of opinion.

Interesting. So, what do you think about what he said then in this interview in context to the thread subject?

Isn't it funny how what he said is almost exactly the same reasons given here by pro-gun owners..truth hurts I guess...makes the stomache turn

Truth hurts? Please!! Micheal Moore is a consummate scammer. I agree with you he's clever. Clever enough to get rich from making highly, highly skewed psuedo documentaries.

I have done the research on Moore, and discovered he plays fast & loose with the truth. He filmed a documentary about his 'beloved' home town of Flint, MI, but did most of the production outside the U.S. to avoid paying union scale to film workers. In 'Bowling For Columbine" he portrayed gun-owners in general as loony anti-government backwoods hicks. He ended his movie "Sicko" with a lie, stating that all European countries offer " free healthcare". Total b.s.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I wouldn't be so quick to shower Moore with praise. Facts don't lie. He truly is a hypocrite and a liar. He's out to make a buck, and he's found a great formula to make it.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by HappilyEverAfter

500 deadily home invasions a year
1/3rd of the home owners from that number shot with their own gun the burgler either found in the home, or disarmed from the person

Top 10 causes of death in America:
(1) Diseases of the heart heart attack (mainly) 28.5%
(2) Malignant neoplasms cancer 22.8%
(3) Cerebrovascular disease stroke 6.7%
(4) Chronic lower respiratory disease emphysema, chronic bronchitis 5.1%
(5) Unintentional injuries accidents 4.4%
(6) Diabetes mellitus diabetes 3.0%
(7) Influenza and pneumonia flu & pneumonia 2.7%
(8) Alzheimer's Disease Alzheimer's senility 2.4%
(9) Nephritis and Nephrosis kidney disease 1.7%
(10) Septicemia systemic infection 1.4%
(11) Intentional self-harm suicide 1.3%
(12) Chronic Liver/Cirrhosis liver disease 1.1%
(13) Essential Hypertension high blood pressure 0.8%
(14) Assault homicide 0.7%
(15) All other causes other 17.4%

Why are we so concerned about #14...(home invasions are just a fraction of a percent of the 0.7%)

Satfx?
500?
I've had 5 in my township in the last month,
I'm not clear on your reference?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
M-Moore Wu makes millions off a system he degrades, but never praises. The 2nd Amendment part of the greatest document ever written, was to limit the power of the govt. Sad that a fool like M.Moore has any input in our society, Liars begin by imposing upon others,but end by deceiving themselves.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I don't know anything about survival or wildlife biology or human physiology. Ok. I'd say it's fairly obvious you know NOTHING about survival, so little in fact, you don't know enough to arm yourself to protect your loved ones. BTW, the Jews never imagined they'd get to visit the inside of an over when Hitler banned private citizens from owning firearms. Be a good little sheeple now and get back to grazing.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Is he indirectly saying blacks commit all the crime?

Yet another ridiculous comment by Moore.
He seems to be losing more credibility than he is weight.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Its people like him that have made me the racist I am today, come get them if you want them!!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Many people here think why would the citizens of the US want to carry weapons? Well I did some thinking and this is the most realistic thing to consider.

Why shouldn't the US carry weapons? The police force are armed to the teeth. The military is armed to the teeth. The gangsters are armed to the teeth. The drug dealers are armed to the teeth. Now you want citizens to relinquish their weaponry so they can get stomped by either side?

You guys are nuts. If the people didn't arm themselves the police have shown that they aren't here to protect and serve. They are there to make sure everyone is abiding by the law. The law is made by congress and some are passed with an agenda behind it. Once the law passes the police must enforce it even if it means beating a few citizens.

The cartel war is raging more than ever. And the military is highest funded military in the world.

That my friends is why citizens need their guns. The past has shown that any nation can turn into a dictator type of regime. If that happened who would protect the citizens? Michael Moore?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

British people calling for gun control in the USA makes me think we should have teamed up with Germany in WWI and finished you bastards off for good.

Keep the heck away from our 2nd amendment.
edit on 20-1-2011 by HattoriHanzou because: (no reason given)

dude the british hate us for what we've become and many still think that they legally own every person in the united states. thats the way theyre taught in school that "we own the usa" because still after all these years they cant seem to understand that they LOST the war because imo they were morons. Now people create threads asking why america hates england? No England hates America.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I focus on the "home invasion" aspect for 2 main reasons:

1. most of the causes of death on your list are limited primarily to the elderly, with the exception of systemic infection and suicide. My risk assessment puts the number 14 at number 3 based on that.

2. i live near the border of Mexico. In my town of 30k people, there were 10 home invasions in 2010.

Now, having said that...i am a very docile creature. I do not like the idea of bringing harm to someone. If my house were broken into, i likely wouldn't shoot anyone. I have very large knives, which i am obsessive about keeping sharp (i like to cook, and keep my knives on a magnet strip, each razor sharp, as well as hunting knives). A knife is likely what any home invader would get. A bullet could stray and hurt my family. But a 350+ lb former all state lineman with a 18" blade made of japanese steel will stop a lot of home invasions.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

yep that would make me realize that " I F'ed Up" and broke into the wrong home.
nice to see you cover your knife fetish with a cooking cover.....lol

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I own guns for pretty much one reason... I like to kill my own dinner.

Sorry to disappoint anyone who may want to call me a racist, I have friends of almost all ethnicities. Michael orre is a dumb #.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I`m a Brit living in America ,but even if i was living in the UK i would still like the choice of being allowed to own a gun ,cos when society breaks down i want to be able to defend my family and not rely on plod or others.

I am getting a gun as soon as possible my wife isn`t happy about it but i am

They don`t go into schools in the UK and shoot people they just knife them
edit on 20-1-2011 by boroboy because: more info

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Good day everyone. I am new here and would just like to say. I have been reading ats for awhile. This idea that i am a fearful racists. That is crazy. I am a guard full time. I have a cwp and carry a 40 cal. 7 days a week. I study akito and kickboxing. Michael Moore is out of his mind.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

true story,
Had a guy case the house,
waited till I wasnt home,
came in the side door to basement,
it was 10:30 pm
wife was home, kids were in bed upstairs,
the oldest heard stuff happening and was not detected but found out what was going on
our bad guy had the wife tied to a chair in the basement and was wanting money and weilding a knife,
he cut her leg
the oldest called the police, pre 911
and called me,
our bad guy tried to leave when he heard noises outside
out of the 3 doors to the house he picked the one I was at to try and sneek out of
the stock of the 12 gauge put him down, and had I known he did what he did, I probably would have made a better effort to get inside the home quicker.
4 daughters and a wife, back then, 20 years ago, it was a permanent moment of education and adaptation on how things are looked at in and around my home and neighborhood.

he pulled that knife off the counter top knife holder,
Keep your knives tucked away Furry.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join