It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supernova about to give Earth a second sun.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by punctual
reply to post by Krusty the Klown

and what effects would a second sun have on earth and its residents?

The scientist in the article stated we would be in no danger, the only effect on Earth would be all the extra light.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alchemst7
Trust me, if this does happen, I wouldn't be watching it on TV or a website, I would be outside watching it Live!!

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by benedict9

Why do I feel the same way.....

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krusty the Klown

Originally posted by robinmorningstar
I'm somewhat surprised by the fervor this post is generating. "Any day now" in astrological terms and cosmological time is...oh, perhaps millions of years. 3 million years in the life of a star is a blink, so to look for this inevitable collapse even in a human time frame is, well...just silly.

You can only really say that if you have that level of astronomical knowledge.

Most people, I imagine, aren't as well schooled in astronomy as you, so from that perspective it is not "just silly" to be intrigued by this situation as it is a very out of the ordinary event.

You know what, you're right. And immediately after I posted it, I thought, I really shouldn't have used the word 'silly' because you're right, it's good that people should get excited about such thing, it reminds of something important inside ourselves. And I don't mean to come along as the ATS Debbie Downer on this one, I just mean to say that a statement saying that a star will go supernova with days is simply...well, not true! That's not to say it won't, of course, it could. But, these processes are soooo long, we can't observe some critical time frame when the balance of mass vs. gravitational collapse will coincide. No scientist worthy of his credentials would ever make such a claim. They might say with some level of certainty that they believe a star will supernova within a time-frame of plus or minus a million or so years, but never human days...it's just not realistic to any degree or measure.

Again, sorry if my language was at all offensive. I've noticed since I've been on here I've become a bit more 'jerky'. Some posters on here have gotten me pissed off, and I've been lashing out a bit (example my post above). I'm thinking about chilling from this site, stopping using it all together, or just trying not to get worked up about things so much...

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Interdesting.. Could be the 'blue sun' that comes crashing down relating to the very last Hopi prophecy.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
What would this do to Global Warming?

Would that double the heat coming to Earth?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
i bet my left testicle nothing happens.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Apparently Betelgeuse in the Constellation Orion is about to go supernova and give Earth a second sun for a few weeks.

It's exaggerated old news, and it wouldn't be visible by day, however for a few weeks it could be brighter than Venus, but that's about it. It could happen in 2 weeks or 2 thousand years or more, we don't know, but this is not breaking news and don't hold your breath to see it, your ancestors may not even see it.

Also it's so far away as to have zero effect on our solar system. It may just be a cool sort lived light show in the night sky, that's all.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

i cant beleive this page has reached the 7th thread im posting on, it was well known betelgeuse was reducing at 1% per year, many many years ago and people are still posting on this.

I remember reading this the first time around, we will see this in years, thousands of years, tens of thousands of years.

Please people stop flagging people like this OP and those who are the 'sayers' its the same thing day after day that makes me reach my palm to my face.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
What's so hard to believe about a (somewhat) close star going supernova in your lifetime? As we all know, there are billions and trillions of stars, one is probably going supernova with every letter I type. What's so hard to believe about a star going supernova around 2012? What's so hard to believe about all the ancient mysteries and teachings of all ages trying to tell us that this was going to happen? What's so hard to believe about a star going supernova and a Superwave of Gamma frequency light that showers Terra with golden neutrinos? The article said itself that the neutrinos would be able to pass right through our bodies... What's so hard to believe about those magical particles altering DNA and perhaps even facilitating an elevation of consciousness?

Quote from 13th generation Mayan high priest in this clip from "The Shift of The Ages": "Once the Earth re-emerges from this axis (the galactic plane) we will be able to see the NEW SUN. But what I cannot tell you is if it is actually the same sun or if it is a different sun. (if you are successfully harvested from "here" to "there")

please watch, 'tis enthralling, spiritually moving and interesting to say the least.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spinster

i cant beleive this page has reached the 7th thread im posting on, it was well known betelgeuse was reducing at 1% per year, many many years ago and people are still posting on this.

I remember reading this the first time around, we will see this in years, thousands of years, tens of thousands of years.

Please people stop flagging people like this OP and those who are the 'sayers' its the same thing day after day that makes me reach my palm to my face.

So what you are saying is that I, and the other posters in this thread, who did not know about this topic are not allowed to discuss it because it was already in the public domain and you already knew about it.

Would you like me to personal message you to check whether it's OK to create a thread in future since you appointed yourself a mod and now make the rules here?

Is this opinion so important that everybody must know it?

Just ignore the thread. Simple.
edit on 19/1/1111 by Krusty the Klown because: I needed to edit.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

I am waiting for all the biblical crap to start..lol and the people here on ats that have been making doomsday predictions..

Really, starts have been exploding for billions of years...

There's an old native american saying... "a star is always it brightest before it goes out" !!

Which obviously means people have witnessed these events in the past. Well we're all still here and we all still have two arms and two legs.

If it dose go nova and then shrinks back into a cozy little neutron star "BJ is about the right mass in terms of creating a N-Star rather than a Black hole".., It's highly unlikely the radiation will effect life on earth.

Not unless a lot of other crazy events happened all at once and put earths defenses out of line for a few weeks just coincidentally in-time for the Nova..lol

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
No Phage....No Stereologist? The silence from these two is deafening!
Please come and tell us everything is as usual, happens all the time, go back to the sports channel or are you starting to realise we might not know everything cosmic, it must come as quite a kick in the teeth to learn that
all is not as your teachers taught. Or am i getting ahead of myself, you wont have to wait long now!

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by aboxoftrix
Before I found this thread I was researching prophecies of the Koran and the Hadith and I thought this might be of interest to some. There is a prophecy that says when the sun rises from the west, judgement day is near.

This is a pretty awesome find, it would definitely be one amazing spectacle to behold so long as it doesnt cause any harm.

Hey aboxoftrix, sharp memory you have
not only is that one prophecy of the sun rising from the west and settig back in the west. But also another interesting prophecy is that, the time of th antichrist will last for 40 days, te first day being that of a year, second day being as long as a month, third a week, and the rest normal days. I have always wondered how that would be explained, maybe with 2 suns the earth might be in perpetual light? hehe interesting thought no doubt

Also to add, another prophecy is that the sun will be at an arms length when we are due for resurrection in the hereafter, God provides shade for the faithful and no suntan for the unfaithful lol.

Something to give you guys to think about hehe

Great find, taking out all the doom and gloom out of the end times, this is definitely one stellar sign i would love to see. Yeah the article is a bit mistaken, i think the biggest star ever known is the VY Canaris Major or something like that. It makes the sun look smaller than a spec of dust hehe.

The universe is wonderful to behold,

Peace and salaams

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ironclad
I am waiting for all the biblical crap to start..lol and the people here on ats that have been making doomsday predictions

Yes, it should be quite entertaining watching the reactions of people with extreme religious views, particularly evangelists.
edit on 19/1/1111 by Krusty the Klown because: To edit

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Now see, here again there's a title that indicates one thing, then the article says between now and a million years. I was all exicited to possibly get to see a celestial show!
Well, especially after that dream I had. Well, it sounds like all I'm doing is complaining about the post, so, on that note. . . .S&F, great post.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by AtruthGuy

I bet his left testicle too

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

I like what it said about the particles, that would rain down on earth and pass right through our bodies. Not harming us at all.

How do they know all that? What if this is how the universe actually produces stars? I have always said we are all stars at some point in our life. What if the dust from a star, raining down on the hjuman soul produces something magical?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Yay. Few weeks off school due to too much sun maybe?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
If it goes within the next 10 years (our time - as in: we see it in the next 10 years), I would be more amazed that someone on earth could predict that than the event itself. I could predict that I will win the lottery either in 3 weeks or 50 some years I have left. If I am correct it would be a far less prediction than betting on a star exploding. Maybe this opens up a whole new sports book - betting on which star will go, when. Odds are 4 trillion to one. If you win, you may burn up in cosmic radiation, but you still won.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join