It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supernova about to give Earth a second sun.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I don't think there would be global sleep deprivation due to it being "daylight" 24/7. Just because it's still light outside isn't going to make me any less sleepy and go to bed. I'm sure the farmers will love the extra daylight, both for extra working time, and more "sunshine" for the crops. Solar farms could store up some energy too

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
This is not a serious thread is it?

If it is serious then I've finally gone crazy or the posters in this thread have.

No problem, I was headed that way anyway.

By the way, the star in question exploded 639 years and a few months ago.

The article said it will look like a second sun it did not say it would be a second sun.

From what I have gathered here and elsewhere our human DNA has locked areas in it.

So it only seems logical that the particles hitting earth and going through our bodies will open those locked door in our DNA.

We will grow lungs with super filters and also our skin will become fireproof.

As a side note the reason women need to pee more often on long trips has proved to be due to the fact that men have larger bladders. Thought you might need to know that.

It's late. I'm going to bed and when I wake up this whole thread will have only been a dream.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
This interests me since I had a dream about a supernova within reach of the earth out of the blue one time.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
It wouldn't be like second sun, maybe second Venus. It would be visible in daylight, but it would be only bright little dot, nothing like sun. Betelgeuse is speeding far from our solar system, so no gamma ray bursts to here.

I have always thought that Eta Carinae is first to go supernova, but maybe Betelgeuse will do it first. We don't see Eta Carinae in Northern hemisphere, so better option would be Betelgeuse.

But because Eta Carinae is so massive, it wouldn't be Supernova, but Hypernova. It might be visible in daytime too. Its one of biggest and brightest stars in galaxy. Its company star went supernova earlier and made nebula around Eta Carinae so its true bright is hiding.
edit on 20-1-2011 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Heres another perspective, might clear some things up, maybe....

blogs.discovermagazine.com... is-betelgeuse-about-to-blow/

Also..another forum posting from a different site, claiming supernova......in 2005....Research and reasoning people, try it.

cs.astronomy.com...
edit on 1/20/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I just want to reflect on the many posts saying things like..
"I highly doubt I will see it in my lifetime".
and " it probably won't happen until we are "all gone". "
etc.

My thoughts/feelings/ on the knowledge Ive acquired over the years on this..

Is that..

Anyone who is 50-60 years old right now..
or younger..

Will see it!

But, you know..
we will see...

I have a pretty good feeling though..
me, being 30 yrs old right now.....
Will indeed see this in my lifetime.
and probably sooner, rather than later.

edit on 20-1-2011 by Ahmose because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by freedish

Funny question. I was in Astronomy class in college and I asked the professor a similar question: He said that we can predict when the sun will turn into a big red giant and in-turn, die, but we aren't sure exactly when Betelgeuse will go supernova. Well, it was more of an ongoing lecture and not a direct statement like that but you get the drift.

www.enchantedlearning.com...

My obvious question was, "How can we know when one star will die and not another?" He kind of paused for a minute and said that he had never been asked that question and never thought about it hiimself. He said that if I could find the answer I would get an automatic A in his class.

Much research later, I never found an answer worth reporting but the question still lingers.

Interesting.

ShawnJ

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by dizziedame

From what I have gathered here and elsewhere our human DNA has locked areas in it.

So it only seems logical that the particles hitting earth and going through our bodies will open those locked door in our DNA.

hahahaha it seems logical???? how in the holy hell is that logical??

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
my question is this:

if nothing travels faster than light and a supernova is basically just a massive explosion do they know that this sun has gone supernova so many years ago?

whats the method of observation? did they time travel into the future? i though we can only see a supernova when the light from said explosion reaches us. so apart from the star growing in size at a fast rate they can only guess that its going to go nova. if this is wrong can someone please clear this up?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Oh My Gods!this is incredible! this is juicy news!! I do hope this happens , but i dont want anyone harmed though.. yeah maybe that wont be easy. ANYWAY,! WOW

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by tim3lord
my question is this:

if nothing travels faster than light and a supernova is basically just a massive explosion do they know that this sun has gone supernova so many years ago?

whats the method of observation? did they time travel into the future? i though we can only see a supernova when the light from said explosion reaches us. so apart from the star growing in size at a fast rate they can only guess that its going to go nova. if this is wrong can someone please clear this up?

The article mentioned that the star has shrunk in mass by 15% which is an indicator of an imminent supernova. I assume they theorise this based on what would happen if this happened in Einsteinian/Relativity physics theory.
edit on 20/1/1111 by Krusty the Klown because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by tim3lord
my question is this:

The idea that "nothing can travel faster than light"..
is seriously flawed... and sadly mistaken.

We can already send information at speeds 'faster than light.'

and No,
"they" don't know if it has blown already, or not.
At least..
Not that "they" acknowledge..

Though I really wouldnt be too surprised to learn that there is a way for them to already know. lol

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   

From that graph it looks like it indeed, the collapse of the star will likely accelerate,

I would say if it followed the graph, it would happen within the next 10 years, though what I think is likely to happen is a similar scenario, but the mass will not hit zero, long before that it will snap into a super-nova of epic proportions (considering how close we are to it).

This will easily happen within our lifetimes.

Does anybody have any spectra of the star? What is up with the excessive comments but lack of data, it took me my 2nd google search to find this graph. Kinda helps when you can visualize how this change in mass has evolved over the years, rather than just given a linear representation of what is happening. This really doesn't look like mere "breathing", this is definitely a collapse in my opinion. The blue diamonds represent actual measurements, the lines with the ends on them represent degree of error. The grey line plotted as an arcing course through the grouping of measurements... I only really see one measurement that is off (it is the 3rd that is above the pink line) and that is probably just a subtle statistical anomaly, given the consistency of the other measurements with this representation.

I would like to see more measurements, and on a more sensitive level. Look how much degree of error is added to the latest measurements, it is indicative of the violent nature of the event, and the measurements will have HUGE margins of error when the event is finally happening (relative to our view). I wouldn't be surprised if it happened, 2012..... this fits in with the data that I've looked at, this graph but one example of the observations made (though limited).
edit on 20-1-2011 by stealthc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ahmose

The idea that "nothing can travel faster than light"..is seriously flawed... and sadly mistaken.

That is something I have always thought since I studied high school physics.

In Einstein's relativity theory he chose C as the constant in E=MC squared as the speed of light as it was the fastest observed speed.

That does not mean that it is not possible. Just that we have not observed anything travelling faster.

To me it's like saying before we found out the Earth was round... "the Earth could not possibly be round because we have no evidence".

If relativity theory is based on the speed of light being the fastest thing possible its possible that the theory is not accurate, although a lot of experiments and celestial observation have proved it is very accurate.

edit on 20/1/1111 by Krusty the Klown because: I needed to edit

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Why does this have 85 flags?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElliotNoir
Why does this have 85 flags?

Well, obviously because people are interested in the topic.

What other reason do you think this has 85 flags?

I know I found this article to be interesting as I was not aware of this before, that's why I posted it.
edit on 20/1/1111 by Krusty the Klown because: I needed to edit

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by zooplancton
those few weeks of constant sunlight would be interesting. watching society deal with extreme sleep deprivation.
auto accident rates would sky rocket.

would the second sun require extra sun block?
I'm betting it would.

What are you talking about? I imagine most people don't sleep outside so the light would not be a problem. I'm not sure why car accidents would sky rocket. In fact, it would seem they would decrease because the darkness of night would be cancelled out - improving road visibility. You do understand that Alaska has no night for 82 days in the summer time?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by dizziedame

well played, sir.

well played.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Krusty the Klown
Yes it does take time for the light to reach us, so when we see it, it will literally be history. According to Wikipedia Betelgeuse is approximately 640 light years away, so when we see the explosion, it will have happened 640 years previously.

edit on 19/1/1111 by Krusty the Klown because: quote tags

I just wanted to add here, since its been repeated a few times now. A light year is not a measure of time, despite the word "year" in the title it is a measure of distance. If Betelgeuse is 640 light years away, it would take somewhere around 5.5 million years for light to travel that distance, not 640 years.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join