It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supernova about to give Earth a second sun.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Krusty the Klown

lol in the link they talk about how its the 2nd largest star in the universe...since when did they explore it all?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I guess it could already have gone off a few hundred years ago and we wouldn't know about it yet. At least not that we can tell by watching the light from it.

Could the Mayans have known about something headed our way, that we will not know about till it gets here?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I'm very very VERY curious about this.
When will this happen?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Well whenever it happens, it will give the star wars fans a nice reality theme for RolePlaying for Star Wars

Playing a character as if they were on Tattooine with 2 stars in the sky lol

link   
I don't know exactly how far away betelguese is.. but this has been common knowledge for a long time?
If it was 30 million light years away (just throwing a number out there) it would have to have gone supernova 30 million years ago to give us the show.
Seems like there should be a way for them to determine if it has happened though.

link   
the inexplicable, repeat post.
edit on 19-1-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

so wait wait wait, if that star is millions of light years away, and we're only just now learning about it "going supernova" then how did we learn about it going super nova?

If we can see it already, shouldnt we already be feeling the effects?

Seems like more sensationalism and fear mongering to me, TBH...

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

see that is the paradox of space-time.

the future is here and now...

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

sick of the amount of repeat posts, this has been covered a dozen times now, i think most here understand that what we are seeing is not happening in our time. If you took the time to read just two pages you would have realised its already been covered. Maybe a points deduction for repeat posts is in order.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
There seems to be a lot of confusion about the time lag of when a supernova from Betelgeuse (640 light years away) hits us after their observations reveal signs. Assuming the article is correct, they are basing their theory on the observations of mass loss and other sudden changes. With that, what they see has already occurred 640 years ago, so if there is a tell tale sign leading up to a supernova, it is already 640 years old. As things develop in the star, it will all fall within our relative observed time-line. If it suddenly blasts out a bunch of neutrinos, the supernova would follow quickly because the neutrinos would have been blasted 640 years ago as well.

But, this article seems goofed from the start when they mention Betelgeuse being the second largest star in the universe, which is totally untrue. Overall, it all sounds like someone in the press was bored and wanted to sensationalize a story.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by empireoflizards
Overall, it all sounds like someone in the press was bored and wanted to sensationalize a story.

I reckon you might be right there empire, newspapers need to $ell, $ell, $ell to get tho$e profit$ and they needed a story.

I still found it interesting though.
edit on 19/1/1111 by Krusty the Klown because: I needed to edit.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by lestweforget
i think most here understand that what we are seeing is not happening in our time.

it could be quite possible we are only trying to remember ?

given the idea that the future is here and the past is out there...

edit on 1/19/2011 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   

the conspirator in me wants to say a Niburu cover up... but since I don't firmly believe in Niburu, I'll take the story...
Either or, I want to see it!!!

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
very nice find and interesting read. thanks krusty! who knows maybe i won't be one of those few with insomnia in the near future.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Betelgeuse, is indeed a very peculiar star. After viewing multiple source images, it was this one below which made me wonder: "Is that some sort of shell?" or "just how big is that 'layer' if it is in an expansion phase?" but "surely it can't be expanding / contracting if it's that large?"

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1e0efde8a21d.gif[/atsimg]

Look on the image description for the specific details as origin, right-accension, and declination.

So this could have happened 640 or so years ago? Back in 1460 and the light is now reaching us?

Source: archive.stsci.edu...

RA: 05 55 10.31
Dec: +07 24 25.4
J2000
HST PHASE1 GSC1

Note: Make sure you change the image format to "GIF."

Additional Note: I found it interesting that the image at the link here ( archive.stsci.edu... ) is much like the one in Microsoft WorldWideTelescope, which at first-glance, seemed as if it were "edited," but looking at this image, which is better in resolution, those "flares" or "ribbons" seem very odd and strange.
edit on 19-1-2011 by trekwebmaster because: Correction and Additional Notes...

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by zooplancton
those few weeks of constant sunlight would be interesting. watching society deal with extreme sleep deprivation.
auto accident rates would sky rocket.

would the second sun require extra sun block?
I'm betting it would.

Well... I'd just close the curtains... I'm sure I would still get a good nights sleep.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Ok I'm not sure if anyone has posted this yet but I was just randomly reading Nostradamus predictions and came across this prediction for 2012.
“The Great Star will blaze for Seven days”
www.december2012endofworld.com...

I really hope we get to see such an amazing sight.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soulece

Originally posted by Stargate2012
I think if this explodes it would be the "Blue Star"

And I have a theory due to some research as to when this might actually explode!

This is the star of Wormwood!
edit on 19-1-2011 by Stargate2012 because: (no reason given)

Okay man, now im starting to think you're right..
www.sacred-texts.com...

Remember in the movie beetleguise.. they say his name THREE times? Well.. this third trumpet is wormwood. Which is supposed to be a star. Crap dude... I hate it when this stuff makes sense.

How does comparing something that happened in a fictional movie to a event that is happening in space make sense to you?

That's like saying "omg my dog is named Pluto and Pluto is the 9th planet so that must mean my dog has 9 siblings!!! (and one of them is the anti-christ!)"

haha im sorry man, but im just not getting what you're saying...

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
i will be outside watching it with my telescope if it does go boom would definatly be a sight to see too bad im too poor to get one of those nifty telescopes with the camera on them guess i might have to settle for a web cam and a tube for film.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
In the past (or maybe only in movies) there were informed indivuduals who know when lunar and solar eclipses were going to take place, and used those events to trick the populace into believing they were somehow blessed, or evens a god.

In the Book of Enoch, Enoch talks of beng taken up and discribes the orb of earth, the continents, the seas, rivers and ice caps. The books explains eclipses.

Now, I'm going to all ATSish on you.......

What if visitors, aliens, have already seen the supernova of Betelguese, which happened between 600 and 700 years ago. What if they used their technology to "outrun" the gravity shock wave that would ensue, and are telling us about the event. (For whatever reason)

Just to get ATSish on the subject..............

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join