It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supernova about to give Earth a second sun.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by freedish
reply to post by Krusty the Klown

I don't understand how they can say it could happen within weeks or a few millions years... can they not measure the distance from the star to earth to know when the light will arrive? Or is it that they don't know how long the star will take to use up all its hydrogen?

The meaning that I took was the scientists did not know how long before it explodes. If they know the distance to the star they can calculate how long it will take from the time it explodes until the time the light reaches us.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by adigregorio
Betelgeuse is not in the belt, tis his shoulder.

That's probably my mistake, thank for the heads up.

Also, does is not take a bit of time for the light of the star to reach us? I always assumed it had went supernova ages ago, and we are just waiting to see the fireworks.

(The second part, I am not sure about. The first part, I am super sure!

Yes it does take time for the light to reach us, so when we see it, it will literally be history. According to Wikipedia Betelgeuse is approximately 640 light years away, so when we see the explosion, it will have happened 640 years previously.

edit on 19/1/1111 by Krusty the Klown because: quote tags

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sanity Lost

The real news is that no one really knows when this will happen.
Nothing to see here afterall.

Except if it does happen next week!

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Re: Belt versus Shoulder

I don't think it is (your fault), I have seen it mentioned as the belt several times since this news became popular. Check wikipedia:

It is thought to be a runaway star from the Orion OB1 Association, which also includes the late type O and B stars in Orion's belt—Alnitak, Alnilam and Mintaka.

I don't remember this piece of information. (Orion is one of my favorite constellations, due to the easily found nebula
) This bothers me, MY ignorance makes me ill and angry!

(Maybe a timeline shift HA!)
edit on 1/19/2011 by adigregorio because: added (your fault) but it's not your fault!

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
If it does happen I am sure someone will be along soon enough to debunk it!!!

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Before I found this thread I was researching prophecies of the Koran and the Hadith and I thought this might be of interest to some. There is a prophecy that says when the sun rises from the west, judgement day is near.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
As long as it's between June 1 and Sept 1. Then we'll be able to see the "double sun."

Plus I like it to be night when it's night. I know the viewing will be better, but I need my beauty sleep.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by LifeInDeath
There are some errors in that story. Betelgeuse is not the "second biggest star in the universe" - it's very, very large, a red super-giant, but there are several much larger stars that we know of (and probably countless more that we don't yet know about).

An interesting thing they don't mention in the article, which may or may not be related to the star's possible impending supernova, observations over the past 15 years have shown that it has lost about 15% of its diameter in that time. This could just be some sort of natural "breathing" of the star and not mean anything, or it could mean it's going through some early stage of the process of actually blowing up soon.

edit on 1/19/2011 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

www.jordanmaxwell.com...

Yes readers please review the provided link to put things in perspective , you will be amazed at the scale of what is out there..

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by aboxoftrix
Before I found this thread I was researching prophecies of the Koran and the Hadith and I thought this might be of interest to some. There is a prophecy that says when the sun rises from the west, judgement day is near.

Yes Endtimes , but not the end of the world .A new begining .This also ties into the official annoucement of ophiucus the 13th zodiac.Not that it is new just being acknowledged .Watch this link and learn about carbon thirteen .www.youtube.com... and the effects of radiation and DNA .

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
That's no star... That's a space station!

Had to say it.

so between now and a million years is a pretty wide margin. Why even release this story when they are not even sure if its ready to pop?
edit on 1/19/2011 by ugie1028 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
we are so dead!
from the Gamma burst.

unless All the other stuff dont kill us first!
some one should make a list of the things going to kill us.
it would be a BIG job.
the stress would kill you

edit on 19-1-2011 by buddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
we are so dead!
from the Gamma burst.

Not really. Caves, basements and underground installations would stop gamma rays. Thing about it though is that people underground would run out of food before the radiation subsided.

Be prepared.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
If it's 640 light years away, I would think that it would take litteraly 640 years to be seen by us. Not in our lifetimes, folx.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by theRhenn
If it's 640 light years away, I would think that it would take litteraly 640 years to be seen by us. Not in our lifetimes, folx.

I think you might be looking at this from the wrong perspective.

If we can see it and it took place 640 years ago that means the event took place 640 years ago we are just seeing it now.

If the star exploded right this minute, the image or light of the event would take 640 years to reach planet Earth for us to see it.

So when it does go supernova there will be a 640 year wait for us to see it.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alchemst7

Originally posted by Disemboweled

that's going to be on every website, tv show,

Trust me, if this does happen, I wouldn't be watching it on TV or a website, I would be outside watching it Live!!

I think I would rather use my vacation time and stay home, who needs a tinfoil hat when you got a metal roof?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
i still cant figure out how they believe this to be seen as a companion star to our sun..i think the image used in the link provided is very misleading, and i think its been done by purpose..

SN 1987A - Supernova seen by the naked eye

so if this turns up to be even slightly like the picture in the link provided by the OP..be more than sure i would be already heading to the hills

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
I have been telling people this for years.
But they don't seem to believe it. lol
Most of them anyway.

What's interesting..

Is it could have already gone supernova!

I think it takes about 640 years for light to reach earth, from Betelgeuse..
So,
The explosion could have happened before any of us were born!
We just wouldnt see it until the light from the explosion traveled for 640 years to our little eyes.

Betelgeuse could be nothing but a supernova right now!

edit: guess I should have read some more posts first!
I see now some of you are already on the ball!

edit on 19-1-2011 by Ahmose because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   

This could be only weeks away

It could also happen in a million years unfortunately.

It might have already happened. Centuries ago, even. Betelguese is hundreds of light years away. If it has already happened, that might explain why nobody is sure just how far away she is.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join