It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama bowing to the Chinese President

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Obama bows because it's Chinese tradition. Hu doesn't bow because it's American tradition.

Thus, the picture. This is about two leaders "respecting" each other by trying to match the other guy's cultural traditions.

Any other conclusion shows lack of cultural awareness, poor critical thinking, biased political agenda.
edit on 18-1-2011 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
reply to post by SLAYER69

And bowing in certain parts of the world is seen as normal and a sign of respect.

When Obama went to China he bowed, However when Hu came to the US Obama bowed not Hu

So why doesn't Hu bow?

If it is such a sign of respect in their culture then why doesn't Hu reciprocate?

Also I said Bush is a Christian and Many still see the Catholic church [like it or not] as the unofficial head of Christianity. I didn't say Bush was Catholic.

edit on 18-1-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
showing respect for an other culture isn't humilating, as you can see in the picture the chinese president is shaking hands and obama is bowing.

they are obviously exchanging each others customary greetings. obama is very smart, and a little gesture that can get you in the good graces of your adversary is an intelligent tactical move.

these people are some of the strongest, smartest, powerful people on earth. they didn't get there by being stupid. this photo is just pawn to e4, its the most basic opening move, and isn't fooling anyone and already some on ats are losing their heads.

if anything, obama bowing is showing that he is ready to fight from the getgo.

edit on 18-1-2011 by randomname because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-1-2011 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Obama has been trained explicitly in human behavior. He is a President, and like all presidents they deserve an Oscar. With this known,

He bowed way too low. He expressed "I am not worthy".

As an North American, I'm inclined to agree with him.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross

And bowing in certain parts of the world is seen as normal and a sign of respect.

If it is such a sign of respect in their culture then why doesn't Hu reciprocate?

Because Hu is trying to respect Obama by doing what American's do: Shake hands without bowing.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
Because Hu is trying to respect Obama by doing what American's do: Shake hands without bowing.

Hu is a communist.
They don't Bow to each other anymore.
That is totally against Mao and the little red book

In any case those of you who are Obama supporters should get ready to see these activities being used against him in the next election as a sign of weakness.

Mutual respect.

edit on 18-1-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Americans and most westerners are straightforward and straighttalking likeable people. Simple gestures such as a wink, a smile, a handshake, crossed arms or some naughty assgrabbing are stuff that one forgets in a quick moment, but to easterners, gestures means a whole lot for often, they let their bodies do the talking.

Bowing was a tradition born out of the 5000 year old chinese tradition during its early years. It was a polite form of body language, and was carried on by the chinese who fled to the eastern islands and founded Japan during the brutual rule of China's first dictator and ruler of the empire - Emperor Qin.

Just like their elaborate and elegant tea ceremony, the Japanese perfected the art of polite bowing between parties, with its varying degrees signifying different things right up till today. During WW2, western prisoners of war who bowed to their japanese captors would be bowed back in return before they chopped the pow's head off. It's ingrained.

But unfortunately, the chinese lost the art due to its turbulant history of conquests by barbarians that seized power and ruled the Han indigenous people. Bowing became one sided, even kneeling, from an inferior to a superior, while the superior would never bow back, to maintain his position in the social ladder, from the Emperor to the imperial court eunarchs whom will demand others bow to them.

This had continued until China became a republic under President Sun Yet Sin, who lead the revolution against the Qin dynasty and set China free in 1911, following democratic principles laid down by the sacred US Constitution where all men are equal. Unfortunately, the commie bastards took over and enslave everyone once again, and bowing to the commie provincial overlords became common reality, despite the commie doctrines of equality , the way their ancestors had done before unbending barbarian warlords.

Today, the President of a mighty and free nation, respected leader of the free world, had bowed before the unbending corrupt CCP dictator. It goes to show inferiority and deference to the CCP. For a leader to do that would mean his followers are to do the same when they meet any Chinese, and must bow before them, or will be taken as a sign of disloyalty and rebellion to their leader, and will be fired or cut off from any jobs or negotiations with the CCP and their bootlickers.

Well done, Mr. President. I hate you not, but you had just set an example fellow americans must follow, for they had elected you leader. Any americans and any other free humans around the world not following such examples will be deemed an insult to the CCP.

May the CCP forget this diplomatic gaffe, and be grateful with the 21 gun welcome salute that are only reserved for democracies and not for tyrannies the illegitimate CCP govt is.

edit on 18-1-2011 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee
So we make them show respect our way on their ground as well as ours...so we want our leaders to be gods not just leaders like the rest of the world has.

Watch the rotation in the image below. The rest of the worlds leaders don't Bow. Are they gods?

Originally posted by harrytuttle
Any other conclusion shows lack of cultural awareness, poor critical thinking, biased political agenda.

Well I guess all these other world leaders, Some of whom you may know and or respect all are showing a lack of that "Cultural Awareness" and are demonstrating "Poor critical thinking" by not bowing like Obama has....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/505de1e76dda.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks
...wasnt it bush senior that threw up on china's leader?... and wasnt it bush junior that couldnt figure out which red door to go thru and just stood there smirkin like a jackass?... did those incidents embarrass you?...

...sometimes it seems that far too many parents gave their children cookies when they whined...

Seems to be you're trying to compare apples to bananas. Throwing up and not being clear on which door to exit are not voluntary actions. Bowing is a conscious voluntary decision.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

So your argument is basically that you hold vastly different standards depending on the political party in question.

Not that that surprises anyone who's been around here for a while.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Mr. Miagi said it best;

"Look'a eye, always look'a eye."

Obama could have shown respect without showing weakness.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by EssenSieMich

I know I should contribute, but i keep thinking WHO CARES..

I could post pics of Pres. Bush kissing princes and bowing equally as low...but in the end ...what a silly debate given what is going on the world.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by EssenSieMich
I for one find it very offensive to have the American President literally 'bending over' for the President of China.

You've never left the borders of Amerikkka or gained any experience at all with people of other cultures have you? In many parts of Asia bowing is the standard form of greeting in polite society. Think of it as a hearty handshake.
edit on 18-1-2011 by Lilitu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by CayceFan
Seems to be you're trying to compare apples to bananas. Throwing up and not being clear on which door to exit are not voluntary actions. Bowing is a conscious voluntary decision.

...you missed the boat entirely... my point was ---- those who are whining about such an insignificant thing are either accustomed to whining for attention or are obsessed with putting obama in the worst light possible, as if he's any different than the bozo presidents that went before him...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
reply to post by ghostsoldier78

see bowing, touching, and shaking hands section, the POUTS blew it, and just for the record i am not being rude crude or being a smart @$$, just pointing out the facts as i see them. now if he did it the way it should be done then he would have shown them that we are strong and well mannered, as to there customs and greetings, shake hand look in eye is one, bow with fist in palm is an other. Too know one; is Too under stand one.

Dont forget that he is standing on the left side which is a sign of greater power all on its own. All politicians and figureheads fight for that position to show you have more power than the other. And as most are complaining here that he bowed down. So what who really cares. Hes on the left and that shows his power. They were on the right side of our president and that shows weakness on its own.

here is a link to a body language site with some very good information.
BODY LANGUAGE
edit on 18-1-2011 by JohnieG because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I don't see harm in showing respect. However...

I so agree...I've thought for years and years we're too obsequious and agree that when they come here they should respect our traditions and cultures just as we do their on their home turf. When they're on neutral ground, fist bumps all around.

But along these lines...what's Bush doing here, Slayer? Checking the buttons in his cool jacket? Maybe just listening? I dunno. And this from what I understand isn't even a president...just some random APEC dignitary.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/adc218021127.jpg[/atsimg]

And here's Nixon and some Chinese person...don't know where...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b22dadb97f1c.jpg[/atsimg]

I'd like to add, that presidents are generally pretty careful about photo ops, especially at home, where they have more control. They're careful of what the do and how they are photographed, and kowtowing to others probably isn't their best erm side.

Ever notice that most of the sillier photos of our presidents are taken out of country? Where the access is different?

rising.blackstar.com...

edit on 1/18/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
It's called respect, learn some. He didn't "bow to his superior" he bowed because it's cultural.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

edit on 18-1-2011 by marker3221 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by EssenSieMich

It's terrible. He's a little suck-up. Notice how the Chinese president is leaning back.

Who tells him to bow to these people? Is it his own idea? Doesn't he see what an idiot he looks like - no one bows to him ...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11PB11

Originally posted by Sectumsempra
Everyone is different. Even though I don't support President Obama (I'm a Capitalist) I believe it's his way of showing respect to another leader. Maybe he believes that the Chinese leaders will respect his gestures.

No offense but youre missing the point.

American presidents bow to no one. America is the country that people look up to no matter what the other countries culture are. We don't bow because of who we are. It is that simple. But Obama is not a true American and doesn't understand what America stands for. Thats the truth.

This is one of the most arrogant statements I've read in quite a while. Get off your high horse, he is being courteous for christs sakes, a bow in Chinese culture is the very same as a handshake in Western culture. Perhaps a tad low, looks a bit awkward, but that's it. Not everything that happens is cause to jump up & down in anger. And get that "we are America we are the best we bow to no-one" arrogance out of your head, its precisely this kind of attitude that taints your country.

(double posting accident)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join