It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Food Supplies Stretched to Limit

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Global Food Supplies Stretched to Limit

MSNBC: Global food chain stretched to the limit. Soaring prices spark fears of social unrest in developing world

Strained by rising demand and battered by bad weather, the global food supply chain is stretched to the limit, sending prices soaring and sparking concerns about a repeat of food riots last seen three years ago. Signs of the strain can be found from Australia to Argentina, Canada to Russia.

-"We are entering a danger territory," Abdolreza Abbassian, chief economist at the U.N.'s Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), said last week.

-As supplies tighten, prices surge. Earlier this month, the FAO said its food price index jumped 32 percent in the second half of 2010, soaring past the previous record set in 2008.

-"I haven't seen numbers this low that I can remember in the last 20 or 30 years," said Dennis Conley, an agricultural economist at the University of Nebraska. "We are at record low stocks. So if there any kind of glitch at all in the U.S. weather, supplies are going to remain tighter and we might see even higher prices."
Advertise | AdChoices

Higher oil prices are also pushing up the cost of food — in two ways. First, the added shipping cost raises the delivered price of agricultural products. Higher oil prices also divert more crops like corn and soybeans to biofuel production, further tightening supplies for livestock feed and human consumption.

Lack Of Food and Water cause extreme unrest leading towards an avalanche of conflict that will spread over the entire world.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
just noticed yesterday in the supermarket
that I frequent.

Oreo double stuff usually runs about $3.59

yesterday a package was $4.39

Nutter Butters had went up just about the same amount.

A bag of Doritos normally run $3.49

went up to $4.49 (a whole dollar)

the signs are in the air folks

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by AllSeeingI

Accidental post please delete mods
edit on 14/1/11 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Good Catch S&F Fox ran a similar article yesterday seems like this would be a good time to prep.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
and this right here is one of the
main reasons why TPTB want
population control.

Not enough resources
for the existing population

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Seems like food will become the next oil. So to speak. Wars fought over the best crop fields, as opposed to oil fields.

Not to mention the grip which tightens from Monsanto's work.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
and this right here is one of the
main reasons why TPTB want
population control.

Not enough resources
for the existing population

I think the shortage is cause more by capitalism and mismanagement then actual lack of resources. Also the shortage could be designed.

There are endless wastes of land which are underdeveloped or undeveloped that could be used for agriculture.
Also simply giving access of funds and technologies to the starving nations would increase productivity and efficiency. Then we have the illogical over use of Beef which uses up so much grain for a pound of beef.

The ethanol situation is absurd. Use food to fuel our cars? The Horse power lost by ethanol use over gasoline also adds to the utter ridiculousness of the situation.

Seriously this much inefficiency seems almost designed and criminally negligent.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

that I frequent.

My god...they are taking our snacks!!!

Now what am I supposed to do...eat healthy?!?!

sorry, had to be done

I see what you mean, but next time, price out things like potatos, rice, etc...
I can live without pringles (but..can it truely be called living..hmm)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
This is now turning into a real major problem.As the world population increases so does the demand for food and food prices will rise.If something isn;t done now there will be long term issues concerning food supply in the future and will there will be some food storages.One thinges for sure it's going to be harder and harder to feed a growing population.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Da da da da!!! In comes Monsanto GMO foods! Why they can grow enough food to feed an entire country on just 100, 000 acres or less! Thats right and while they are at it they can even put the same food into your gas tank and clean your kitchen stove! Amazing and practical too!

But wait there's more!

Thats right and after you eat, clean and drive, you can also take advantage of the superscription medications that were naturally
derived from the waste of the Chinese based factories which employed millions of starving children!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Not uber healthy, but I bought Cheerios last week. Reg. price? $3.19 Price last week? $4.99

So anyone thinking of eating cheap (cheerios instead of steak) will be SOL.

I am looking for Ramen Noodles to be traded like gold in the next 6 months. It's ridiculous.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Good eye bud, I also noticed while shopping last week and even took time to point the price raise to as many shoppers as were milling around astounded as well (they were too much in shock and awe to really take notice they were buying less because of the prices having gone up on the average 50-1.00 per item in a single week.)

It is getting to the point we need to stock up yes indeed if we have not already, but for the larger majority of people they buy less, stock up less because of the prices and cannot be convinced that by doing so they may not have enough to survive the coming famine, but also hold the price of the items they do buy now... I stock up now to purchase at this years prices and not next year, it has worked out beautifully and if you dont use the most expensive house hold items i buy TP for instance for a year for about 50 bucks. You get some strange looks and even comments but hey, what the heck when it all goes down, at least I will be wiping first!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar

Da da da da!!! In comes Monsanto GMO foods! Why they can grow enough food to feed an entire country on just 100, 000 acres or less!

.... you can also take advantage of the superscription medications that were naturally
derived from the waste of the Chinese based factories which employed millions of starving children!

hate to bring this up again as I know
folks are tired of hearing it, but guess who owns
massive stock in Monsanto and Pfizer ???

George Soros

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
I am looking for Ramen Noodles to be traded like gold in the next 6 months. It's ridiculous.

Actually, you may be onto something.

Lets set an apocolyptic senario..you have a truckload of beef flavored noodles, your neighbor has no food but a bunch of gold coins.

sure neighbor, give me one of your gold coins and you can have 2 pot noodles...will give you 5 for 2 gold coins...sure, your spending about 100$ a pop per serving, but why the hell were you collecting that verses noodles to begin with? Were you going to eat your gold?

To me, silver should be the most collected. If the above mentioned happen, I would part with a pot noodle for a silver coin (pure silver).

Gold...sure, pay me in gold for my absurdly overpriced stuff

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I just read that Mountain House was 2 to 3 weeks behind on their orders and they are swamped with orders. No #10 cans available. I got my emergency food last year, both Mountain House(the best in my opinion for freeze dried food) and Alpine Aire all #10 cans. I'm stockpiling grains right now. Nothing like a bowl of cornmeal mush for breakfast in the morning.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
I see what you mean, but next time, price out things like potatos, rice, etc...
I can live without pringles (but..can it truely be called living..hmm)

I usually buy potatoes in the can as they last longer.
A generic can of sliced potatoes went from $1.19
to $1.79

and pringles went from $1.39 to $1.99

all in a week to 10 days

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

LOl, My great Aunt Frieda was at my Grandparents the other day going through the cabinets 'tossing' the outdated canned good I placed there long ago! She was like, "well these cans of milk are outdated dear and that means they will taste bad and be soured"...

Owe veh...
edit on 14-1-2011 by antar because: Edit to say I stock up on canned potatoes too, they are great!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

that I frequent.

Do you have any quotes of prices on real food?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

It partly comes down to Monstanto, but also comes down to the USA's crazy policy of using about a quarter of their arable land for corn production towards ethanol fuel.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Are you finding this every week? I go shopping once a week for groceries. The prices have been steadily rising. I am used to seeing hikes occassionally. But this has been happening weekly here for quite some time.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join