It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Food Supplies Stretched to Limit

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
Do you have any quotes of prices on real food?

well I don't have a big major list of food price
differences between week to week. But I would
bet that the conclusion of that report would be
staggering and thusly need it's own thread.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Also, prices on junk food are rising because the holidays are over. Junk food is always cheaper over Christmas / New Years, every single year, and rises again once the holidays are done.

It's better to price out real food instead of junk food for good measure.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
We've got hit by the ole VAT increase here in the UK so it doesn't surprise me.

There was another article floating around the site today with similar information, only problem was it was authored by Sorcha Faal. Maybe not complete BS for a change...

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
Are you finding this every week?

actually I just switched over to a new
grocery store about a month ago.

Before, I was grocery shopping at wally world,
then about a month ago I switched over to
Piggly Wiggly cuz they were closer to me.
The price jumps I quoted were from what
I had seen from the shelves of Piggly Wiggly.

I was hoping to save gas money by shopping at
a closer grocery store and wound up spending
the savings in elevated food prices anyway.

But I can't say if wally world has went up in
the past 2 weeks as I have not been grocery
shopping there for about a month.

Speaking of gas prices:

our local unleaded regular ran about $2.79 a gal.
before the holidays

it has went up to $3.09 in a month

unless my math is wrong,
it's basically a 10% increase
across the consumer spectrum
in a months time.
edit on 1/14/2011 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I have been reading the warnings of this for a while now. The same names keep popping up and the same names are always right... Celente, Ruppert, Kunstler...

Scary times. If you don't grow your own food then start doing so. Food riots are going to be damn intense

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
For those of you who may read some of the things I post here, you will remember me saying this scenario was on its way to our reality. And, it was time last year to learn how to grow food in containers that can be brought in at night to protect it from food raiders.

One good thing about this is people won't be able to afford Take-Away food for too much longer, and will be forced to eat whatever vegetables you can grow for yourself. Then watch how quickly people become more healthy and less obese.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nomad451
I have been reading the warnings of this for a while now. The same names keep popping up and the same names are always right... Celente, Ruppert, Kunstler...

Scary times. If you don't grow your own food then start doing so. Food riots are going to be damn intense

and if u grow ur own food
you better post guards at night.

round here folks have been known
to pull up a pickup truck and run off
with ur produce while u sleep.

if it ain't nailed down or guarded,
it will be stolen !!!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tayesin
One good thing about this is people won't be able to afford Take-Away food for too much longer,

ya know it's weird u mention that.

I ate at a local restaurant about a month ago
and ordered chicken tenders, fries and a Mtn Dew
and it cost me about 8 bucks.

I ate there 2 weeks ago and the same meal
was over $10.

I said to myself I wasn't eating there anymore.

edit on 1/14/2011 by boondock-saint because: spelling

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Is the general notion here really, that there is an actual food shortage. I'm tired ( its past midnight over here ), so i'm not really able to write a lenghty post about how stockmarkets, protectionism and our (western world) lifestyle might be the issue.

I'm sure we will see more "news" in the near future about food shortages, hence the increasing prices, but i thought we all can easily detect the scheme behind it. Truth is, there seems to be more than plenty of food, for all.

in the bin

america

australia

india

you're not helping

just enough

corporate greed, mismanagement, price speculation

It's still up to us to change that. I hope.

i'm hungry now...

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
reply to post by antar

It partly comes down to Monstanto, but also comes down to the USA's crazy policy of using about a quarter of their arable land for corn production towards ethanol fuel.

I live in the Midwest USA & know exactly what you are talking about. Field after field of corn planted for ethanol & livestock feed. I really would like to see hemp planted in all of those corn fields. Hemp protein & oil would feed a lot more folks than the cows & pigs who eat the corn planted to feed livestock.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Right that's a pretty deep subject in itself if you look deep enough, or really just scratch the surface of the Politics between Mexico and the US, which has created a starvation plan for both countries while creating the bio fuels which will destroy each country while lining the pockets of the trillionaires who are the push behind the biofuel industry for other countries such as China.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
The Quantitative Easing 1 & 2 are starting to take hold in the community. The price rise is due to inflation as the market place has been flooded with money over the past couple of years. The story about food shortages is more of a distraction so the Federal Reserve are not blamed for there reckless management of the economy. It has taken a while for this trend to enter the market and will take a while to fix it. The longer the problems in the economy are not addressed, the longer it will take for the inflationary pressure to disappear.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Suppliers are hiding the price increases (a 'soft landing'?) by shrinking package sizes and keeping the prices the same.

Can't get any more credible than Consumer Reports, can you? Well, one of the more trusted organizations anyway.

pressroom.consumerreports.org...

Release Date: 01/04/2011

CR Finds More Products Are Getting Smaller

Manufacturers downsizing packaging by as much as 20% but still charging the same price

YONKERS, NY — Does it seem like some products don’t last as long as they used to? From toothpaste to tuna fish, hot dogs to hand soap, companies have been shaving ounces and inches from packages for years. ConsumerReports’ latest investigation, featured in the February issue of Consumer Reports and online at www.ConsumerReports.org, found that more and more products are getting downsized.

Household names like Tropicana orange juice, Ivory soap and Kraft singles American cheese are all playing the shrinking package game, and manufacturers are attributing it to rising costs for ingredients and energy. “They’ve got a point. Higher commodity and fuel costs are expected to spike in food prices by as much as 3 percent is 2011,” said Tod Marks, senior editor and resident shopping expert at Consumer Reports. “But if manufacturers are skimping when costs go up, why aren’t they more generous when costs hold steady or fall?”

Companies often hide their handiwork when they shrink their packages. Indenting the bottom of containers, making plastic wraps thinner, or whipping air into ice cream are a few subtle ways companies downsize their products.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by AllSeeingI

Well, I think Bill Gates better get ramping up all them vaccines in 3rd world countries.

It was about population control didn't he say?

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

Population control? But why?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6e1ac583fff3.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Lay off the snacks!!

Doritos, nutter butters??, double stuffed oreos!

kidding :p

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbriefed
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

Population control? But why?

Earth is a big planet with very much resources that could feed several times our present population for millenia. With technology, sharing and better educated management of resources, there will be no hunger on earth. Be aware as well that there is still 70% of our world untapped that is the oceans.

With more people, it would mean more heads and labour to harness Earth's potential as well as the stars.

But it is only greed and selfishness that is causing hunger around the world. Bakeries would rather throw away day old bread than to give to the poor or homeless, and make the excuses that everyone will wait till end of the day to get free bread. This is only 1 tiny aspect of such greed. It gets greater up the social ladder.

If riots are to happened, then let it be, for selfish mankind needs to be awakened or we will only doom all eventually.

edit on 15-1-2011 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Weather is the Number One important factor in food production.

The weather has gone crazy worldwide - no wonder food is growing scarce - bananas and pineapples in the tropics?

Winter veg that need the cold?

Livestock that need good pasture?

This is a serious issue, a huge issue, and it has nothing to do with the so-called NWO.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

See, there is a problem with being charitable.

Let me explain in a global example.

The US creates way more food than we can use. The government in there all encompassing wisdom, sets up these charity donations to countries. This is not for the purpose of charity, it is to keep supplies artificially low to keep the prices up. Think housing market and what happens. Also another problem with this, it keeps the prices of the goods artificially low in the markets that we give the charity to. This causes problems for the producers in that area because they cannot create the product there with enough profit.

See, this whole globalization thingy has what is called adverse side effects or unintended consequences.

Just a free market theory to keep in mind.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone
Weather is the Number One important factor in food production.

The weather has gone crazy worldwide - no wonder food is growing scarce - bananas and pineapples in the tropics?

Winter veg that need the cold?

Livestock that need good pasture?

This is a serious issue, a huge issue, and it has nothing to do with the so-called NWO.

If you are talking about ancient days, yes, weather is the important issue. But with our current tech, what's weather to mankind? We already know what type of yields and resiliant strains for agricultural lands that weather cannot affect. And bad weather does not affect ALL nations worldwide, nor does quakes, etc.

Suppliers would more than ready to give you excuses just to wean a buck more off your wallet, a sad truth but a reality nevertheless.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join