It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unstoppable tide hits Brisbane

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Would like to add that I'm currently manning a call center for my local council in Victoria and have taken a number of calls this morning from residents pledging accomodation in their family homes for flood victims.
It's food for the soul to see such compassion emenating from within my community, if we help each other we're all more likely to survive; instead of just the guy who hides his well

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Another Chicagoan sending out positive thoughts! From our waterlogged swamp here.

I'm on the water and watching it.

Been through numerous floods - but NOTHING like I see in the videos posted here! This reminds me of - a flash flood coming down from the mountains in Southern California.

Never seen anything quite like this though.

Stunning.

I hope everyone will be OK.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DrBones666

Agreed! I have never really enjoyed this posters comments here on ATS.

I hope you guys can all get out while the going is good in brisbane!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ballsdeep

How do people pledge accommodation?

This should be front page news. I don't think any flood victims would go without if this was publicised properly.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Might be off topic but that's a sensational photo. A full sized image would be desktop background material.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf
Interesting, loner just U2U'd me telling me that he purposely trolled this thread.

I wonder if that U2U will be acted on by a mod.

It is in times of tragedy/disaster or great stress that people do seem to show their true colors, no? Truly disgusting, yet I'm sad to say, not surprising.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I really had no idea circumstances were this dire, this thread and the updates are truly eye-opening.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I hope everything ends up well in Queensland. I'm sending my prayers to all the people there.

Here in Brazil we're having the same problem as i write this. It's been raining almost non-stop since yesterday in my state (São Paulo). Thirteen people have died because of the floods and mudslides over here in just 2 days.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Canslli

This is the first I've heard about flooding in Brazil. I hope you can all stand together and make the best of a bad situation.

All my best to you and yours.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I would like to start by saying my thoughts and prayers are with the fine folk from Australia.

I will admit at first when I heard that the coal mines were going to have to shut down I was very happy.

Why? Well Australia is one of the big time exporters of coking coal in the world. They supply countries like China and India this coal in order to produce steel.

As I am a still layed off steelworker with Gerdau, our furnace is an EAF (electric arc furnace) so we do not need the intense amount of coal, or do we require iron ore to be extracted from the earth because we use recycled scrap metal.

So my thinking was if the price of steel goes up then it will become more economic to use the steel made in America then to buy cheaper imports that duck anti dumping laws.

However, after watching the flood video it so much more than I ever imagined and I am writing my true thoughts in order for my negative karma to be released. I appologize Australians and I wish you all the best!

It is my own governments fault (NAFTA), not Australias. They tax to much on energy and with competing dollars it is almost impossible to stay profitable. The other countries are government subsidized, of course there going to be cheaper

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

Yes it is pretty bad, And I am here in Queensland. Being up the top, in the tropics, we go through this all the time. Never fear, They don't call us the Aussie Battlers for no reason. All the best to those who are 13 hrs away from me.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
First off I would like to say, loner007, you are a true #head. I seriously hope that you have to face severe adversity in your life while other people look on and laugh.

On topic, thanks everyone for the kind words. It is in times like this we see the real human spirit, for better or worse.

I am from Toowoomba and the flash flood we received the other day was totally unexpected. For people who don't know, Toowoomba is on top of the Great Dividing Range, about 2000ft above sea level, and, while floods aren't totally unexpected, this one took everyone by surprise.
It had been raining for the previous couple of weeks so the ground was already saturated and couldn't take in any more. Then when we got extreme rainfall (some people estimate up to 150mL of rain in an hour!) it couldn't go anywhere, thus causing the flash flood seen in the Toowoomba CBD. Some areas of Queensland have had 800mL of rain in the last couple of weeks!

Really though, Toowoomba has it easy compared to Dalby, Warwick, and basically everywhere down the Range. At least in Toowoomba the flood comes in, does its damage and then goes. Other places have had flood waters sitting around for weeks, which is worse now, increasing the risk of disease from dirty water, mosquitos etc.

In Toowoomba, a lot of the roads have been damaged. There is only a couple of roads available to get to the other side of town. There is no way in or out of Toowoomba at the moment due to damaged roads and water. In the CBD, there are a lot of shops which have been totally gutted. There was a furniture store which had nothing left on the bottom floor, all of it washed out into the street. I haven't had Vodafone network coverage for nearly 2 days now (you say you work for Voda, Krysties. Don't say it too loud!). I will be buying myself a prepaid Telstra or Optus SIM card today.

Here's some photos I took:

This picture shows the running flood water near the Library in Toowoomba. The photo was taken about 2.5 hours after the initial flash flood. The water was about 3 metres higher than shown here and running rapidly.

This picture shows Russell St and the Norville Hotel. Again this photo was a couple of hours afterwards and perhaps a metre less water.

This picture shows the creek near Maccas down town. Usually this creek has a trickle (I mean like not even a foot deep). It is a couple of metres here and was a couple of metres higher. McDonalds had a couple of feet of water in it.

This shows the railway yard a couple of hours after the initial flood.

This shows the railway yard the day after. The amount of damage (even what can't be seen in the photo) is phenomenal.

This shows the damage the day after on Schoefield St. The water was a good couple of metres higher during the worst of it.

Car on its roof near Grand Central Shopping Centre.

Written-off car near Grand Central again. The floods tossed cars around like they were paper boats!

Finally here's a panoramic photo of the damage at the Jellicoe St Bridge.

I wish the best to all my mates in South East Queensland and anywhere else affected by the floods.

edit on 11/1/11 by GobbledokTChipeater because: .

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Attention all posters

Folks loner007 is not the subject of the thread.
Some of the replies were removed because they focused entirely
on him. The TOPIC is "Unstoppable tide hits Brisbane", not loner007.

Please stay on topic and IGNORE the posts.

Please do not respond to this post.
If you have a question send me a U2U.
edit on 11-1-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by GobbledokTChipeater

Amazing photos GTCe! Seeing it on the tv, webcams, etc really doesn't say as much as seeing and hearing it from someone who you are familiar with.

Glad you are OK and still posting!! Looks like you were smack in the middle of it.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by loner007
I am sorry but i cant stop laughing. I said in other posts regarding mans affect on the climate that we will see extreme weather all over the world as the planet tries to get rid of its excess heat. read up on Gaia theory and you might understand.

sir i am an environmental scientist and i do not know the causes climate change. What makes you so sure you do and what makes you sure that the people that died had a role to play in these climatic changes.

This is a tragic event and i dont understand people that find this funny. A 4 year old child died....are they to blame...
edit on 11-1-2011 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
It's getting crazy here. The flood waters in Brisbane are going to peak at 5.5m. Good thing is that the sun is out at the moment, but it won't stop the water level rising as it hasn't currently got anything to do with the rain any longer.

On a side note: some Christians came knocking on my door before to give me a pamphlet. They tried telling me that Satan currently has hold of Brisbane and that God will spare us from his wrath soon. I said "why did God let the floods happen then?" and the guy replies, "Because Satan has control of the city and God is trying hard to get it back from him, everyone will soon be spared." and then he quoted something from the book about floods.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by DigitalSea
It's getting crazy here. The flood waters in Brisbane are going to peak at 5.5m.

I wish you the best mate

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DigitalSea

I'd have tied them to my feet and used them to traverse the river to get to a church and then use them to burn it down.

Ugh preying on victims is the lowest...

Or praying?

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join