It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unstoppable tide hits Brisbane

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
***News Update***

Queenslanders urged to prepare for further evacuations

12/01/2011
Emergency services are asking Queenslanders to continue to heed emergency messages and prepare for further possible evacuations over the coming days.

The flooding situation in Queensland is unprecedented with 75 per cent of the state now affected.

Emergency services are continuing to assist local communities but residents are being asked to do their part by ensuring they have their emergency kits ready to use and making sure they keep themselves safe.

Residents around central, southern and western Queensland need to be prepared to be isolated in some areas for a number of days and should have supplies of non perishable food and water to sustain themselves.

Emergency kits should contain a battery powered radio, a torch with spare batteries, a first aid kit including regular medications as well as clothing, emergency phone numbers and supplies for any pets.

Emergency Management Queensland is also asking residents to check on neighbours and any elderly or vulnerable members of their community.

Residents are also asked to keep informed about the developing situation by monitoring their local media broadcasts and obeying the requests of authorities.

All motorists are being reminded not to drive through any flooded waterways. The rapidly developing situation may cause many roads to become inundated with water at short notice, making them deadly to cross.

It only takes 15 centimetres of fast flowing water to sweep a person off their feet and into a flooded waterway. It only takes 60 centimetres of floodwater to push a four-wheel-drive off a roadway leading to often tragic circumstances.

Large amounts of debris are also floating down river systems and these hazards are often below the surface of the water, hidden from view.

Every swift water rescue performed by fire personnel puts not only the victim’s life but the lives of emergency services personnel who are forced to enter treacherous waterways at risk and people are asked to consider this before entering any floodwaters.

For storm and flood assistance contact the SES on 132 500. Anyone having difficulties seeking assistance via the 132 500 number to contact their local council.

If residents are experiencing a life threatening emergency they are advised to call Triple Zero (000) immediately.

More information on preparing for floods can be found at: www.emergency.qld.gov.au...

Source: www.emergency.qld.gov.au...

Further information and links:

www.bom.gov.au...

www.qld.gov.au...

Report emergencies or severe property damage to the SES (132 500)

South East Queensland flooding
Significant flooding is occurring or expected in areas of South East Queensland including Ipswich, Caboolture and Brisbane during 11-12 January 2011.

People in affected areas are urged to:

•Stay calm – be prepared and keep informed of flooding information
•Avoid unnecessary travel – do not drive on or try to cross closed or flooded roads, bridges and causeways
•Cooperate with SES, police and other authorities if evacuation is required.

Also in regard to the flood appeal:

Premier's Flood Relief AppealFunds raised as at 11.00am, 11 January 2011:

$32,373,484.00

edit on 11-1-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
The whole damn state is near flooded?! Man.. I'm sorry for any ATS members there and everyone else who's in misery. That is just harsh beyond words.. I do hope it stops sometime soon so at least it's partially salvaged..

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007
reply to post by Kryties

I think he may have been turning on his 4WD - in the older models you need to turn something on the tyre rims to activate the 4WD in the front wheels. I noticed when he drove out that the tyres were still pressurised. It wuld taken alot longer to deflate the tyres properly.

Having looked at it again, I was beginning to think you were right buuuuut.....that is a newer model Toyota by the look of it, the 4WD hublocks were phased out well before then.

He didn't have to let much air out - he was doing it for grip mainly, I have done the same when driving on Fraser Island - you let out just a bit of air so the tyre has more surface area to grip to.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
THAT'S ENOUGH

Stay on topic NOW or I'm going to be handing out some bad tastin' medicine.

This is not up for discussion or negotiation.

Do NOT reply to this post.

Just stay on topic, stop discussing each other.

There will be NO MORE warnings.
edit on 11-1-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I just posted on another thread about this disaster - wanted to let you know I am keeping on top of the news and concerned for all the people. I heard a cyclone is also approaching - stay on top of things friends!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Yep, I keep saying it but I cannot stress enough that the worst is yet to come. Queensland is going to be hit by a triple-whammy in the next few days - torrential rains and tsunami-like floods, a king tide and a hurricane. I'm no expert but the people I've been talking to say that the reason this particular king tide is bad is that any floodwaters that were headed out to sea will be pushed straight back inland and added to by the king tide itself.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

To be honest i watched the 6 hour straight news cast tonight on Chan 9 Aus and they didn't mention any Cyclone??? Although they did mention a king tide that is due today WED 12/01/11 which is gonna make things alot worse for the already swallen river systems in the coastal area's.

Ok so i guess my discussion was off-topic... hmmm ok sorry MOD it wont happen again.

I'm confused??

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Sorry for the swearing against another member MOD - i will ignore that person from this point on. Thanks for the intervention, the thread was getting abit crazy in the serious time.

Topic: here is some more information

www.bom.gov.au...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

I've heard a few people say it, and I remember reading it in one of the many news articles i've read tonight although I cant find it now, and I could swear I saw a weather graphic of Australia at some point tonight that showed a hurricane off the north coast of Queensland...

But bloody typical I cant seem to find a shred of proof of it - maybe its because it's 4am here and I'm a tad tired lol.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Watching the videos it looks so scary ... seeing how fast the water is rising and flowing I'm amazed that more have not been swept away. And living in England on this tiny pinprick of an island it's impossible (for me at least) to comprehend the size of the area effected by this.

Woody

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Yeah i'm gonna definatly look up the cyclone thing. I do know that QLD does get bad cyclones this time of year but i didnt realise there was one forecast at the moment. Thanks for the information

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Just found this little tidbit of information, and couldn't help but smile - only in Australia would this happen....

au.news.yahoo.com...

Crocodiles at a nearby Sunshine Coast zoo founded by the late television wildlife star Steve Irwin were being tied up in case they escaped in the deluge.

We think of everything!
edit on 11/1/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

This is all i could find on Cyclones:

Tropical Cyclone 3-day outlook for The Coral Sea
IDQ10810
Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Brisbane

Tropical Cyclone 3-day outlook for The Coral Sea
Issued at 2:30pm EST on Tuesday the 11th of January 2011 and valid until end of
Friday

Existing cyclones:
Nil.

Potential cyclones:
The monsoon trough is situated over north Queensland and is extending across the
northern Coral Sea. The monsoon trough is expected to strengthen over the next
few days and a low may develop over the northern Coral Sea by Friday.

Likelihood of a tropical cyclone developing in the Eastern Region on:
Wednesday:Very low
Thursday: Low
Friday: Low

NOTE: The likelihood is an estimate of the chance of each system being a
tropical cyclone in the Region for each day:
Very low: less than 5% Low: 5% - 20%,
Moderate: 20% - 50% High: Over 50%

The area of coverage for this outlook is the Coral Sea and Northern Tasman Sea
west of 160E.

Further information on Tropical Cyclones is available at:
www.bom.gov.au...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

I have to admit I haven't been able to find anything else out about the cyclone/hurricane/whatever - my eyes must have been playing tricks on me.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Wasn't it just yesterday we were talking about not being so inflamitory? Some of the posts on this thread are embarassing. The OP has done a really fine job of giving information. I understand the frustration when people apear heartless, but to jump on board and use basically the same tactics is just wrong.

My heart goes out to all of Australia and Queensland in particular, this is a national disaster, tragic and horrible. I pray that you will be able to help one another to pick up the pieces and cope. You will need one another. I expect this will hurt for a long time.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
wow, haven't read all your comments yet but i haven't seen this video posted yet, either ... (am trying embed for 2nd time - 1st didn't work) ... here's link if it doesn't work again. www.3news.co.nz...
width="640" height="505"> "http://www.youtube.com/v/kYUpkPTcqPY?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505">
reminds me of the 1977 flash flooding in PA ... prayers to all.
edit on 11-1-2011 by Honor93 because: embed not working

edit: ok, i give ... clearly i haven't figured out this 'embed' process yet ... anyone, who can, please do.
edit on 11-1-2011 by Honor93 because: plea for assistance

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join