It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unstoppable tide hits Brisbane

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Removed it from my Post.No Reason to add more Fear.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Ok to start this post i have been thinking about my 1000th post for the past few weeks and what i would use it on.

Would i post a reply or a new thread??

Well i think of all the things going on at the moment this thread is as good as any and fitting way to contribute my 1000th post on ATS.

All the best to every single person stuck in these floods and i hope them and their families all the best in this bad time.

Here are some more updates.

Death toll mounts as floods hit capital

UPDATE 5:20pm AEDT: The SES reports that a child has been killed in floodwaters in the Ipswich region, as officials warn that conditions will only worsen over the next 48 hours.

UPDATE 4:20pm AEDT: The official death toll now stands at 9. Brisbane public transport continues to operate as roads out of the CBD are clogged.

UPDATE 3:00pm AEDT: The Brisbane River has broken its banks. Thousands of city workers are attempting to evacuate the CBD, and some public transport lines have been cut.

Devastating flash floods have killed at least eight people west of Brisbane, and grave fears are held for at least 11 others, as authorities brace for more deaths.

Premier Anna Bligh said emergency crews were worried about 11 people missing from Murphys Creek.

"We are facing some just terribly, terribly sad and tragic stories and I'm very concerned that we're going to see more of those today," she told the Nine Network.

"Mother nature has delivered something terrible in the last 48 hours but there's more to go ..."

Queensland police deputy commissioner Ian Stewart said 72 people were missing in the areas in Queensland's southeast hit by the massive flooding.

Source: 7pmproject.com.au...

7PM Project dedicates full episode to floods and it's victims: 11/01/2010

7pmproject.com.au...
edit on 11-1-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
Well I only came to this thread to flame the heck out of Loner007 but I've decided not to bother and instead do something helpful by posting a couple of links to places that you can donate to help the flood victims

Flood relief appeal

The Australian Red Cross

Get volunteering Aussies!!
edit on 11-1-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

Cheers !!

Oh I made loner007 a problem of the past... there's no Ignore feature here anymore, so I just wrote one up in greasemonkey... Now all I have to do is get it to read from a file the list of names rather than menually update the script.. hehe..

I know you don't like ignoring them but... ugh I dont like reading them even more !!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

Ahhh that explains it then
Better not mention my fiancee works for Vodaphone then hehe.......woops.......

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Congratulation...i think. Gonna sleep a little...Hope im not waking up to more bad News.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Interesting, loner just U2U'd me telling me that he purposely trolled this thread.

I wonder if that U2U will be acted on by a mod.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007

This is crazy, 75% of the entire state of Queensland has been declared a natural disaster. I live in Victoria and that to compare that would be like my entire state being under water.

Tomorrow it look as if the Brisbane River will begin to flood Brisbane CBD and many surrounding suburbs. They are in the process of cutting all power to the CBD and many other parts of the city tonight.

Just in on the news, 10 people dead including a 4 year old that was washed away and more than 80 people missing inclusing entire families.

On top of all this Brisbane is set for a king tide tomorrow. So basically we have flood waters washing downstream and tomorrow there will be a king tide trying to push it's way upstream.

bigpondnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

The floods in Australia have also been in the U.S. news for the past few days. Please know that thoughts and many prayers from myself and many more in the U.S. go to you and your country.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Here's some footage of how quickly the floodwaters rose in Toowoomba yesterday - literally within minutes........all of that water is headed for or already in Brisbane now with more on its way......

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

haha nah it's ok. Although Vodafone AU just had a major data and rprivacy leak. Ironically my mobile plan is with Vodafone.

All they need is a VPN for there store, call centre and dealer networks and this would not have happened.

The vodafone dealer webportal can be found via google search, so if some clown had goven me their log in details i could see everything... strange for a major Telco.

A VPN ( Virtual Private Network ) would have stppoed this before any avergae Joe could even access the log in page. I have even posted on the Vodafone page in regard to this as a suggection, but it's all about cost cutting.....

LOL you made me go off-topic in my own OP

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

Thanks although the post wasnt really anything speacial i guess.....

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by maybee

Thanks for your thought's and prayer's and the same goes out to you and anyone in a similar situation over there

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

SHT - that's crazy. How fast did the flood water's rise?

Man i would be out there trying to salvage my car before it was washed away. And you know what many australian insurers dont cover flood insurance!!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

That bloke who let down his tyres only just got to it in time - and he wouldn't have had a chance if it was a sedan rather than a 4WD - look closely at the video of when he jumps in and drives out, you can see the back end of his 4WD starting to slide sideways with the flow.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

It's hard to stem the flow when it's coming fromthe sky... if ya know what i mean??

The rain is fierce and unrelenting. It's insane to be honest.

Well it wasnt predicted by the right people, as the BOM could not predict the extent of this downfall and flooding. It came out of nowhere in some cases. While they did predict the rainfall, the full extent was shocking even for the so-called experts.

well then maybe its time to find out of God really exists!!!!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by loner007

Originally posted by gemineye
reply to post by loner007

Maybe you were right, but you're LAUGHING???! That may be the single most deplorable thing I've ever read here on ATS, EVER! Wtf, man?

Damn... maybe there's not even anything wrong with being proud of yourself for making a prediction, but LAUGHING??? IMO, that makes you worse than the Jared Loughner.

Sheesh, I hope this puts you on some kind of ATS and government psycho watch list! I rarely lash out at people on here, but death is in no way funny. See how hard your laugh if something like this happens to you! I feel physically ill!

I hope ATS and the government is keeping their eyes on you. You sound like the next person we'll be hearing about on the news, and not for some accurate prediction, that millions of people have made over the years!

LOL I dont have to do anything as mother nature is doing all the work. As i said read up on Gaia theory and you might understand why I am laughing at the situation. (I am not laughing about the loss of life though I really dont care about that) also as I said wxpect more of this on a world wide basis. If peopel cant read the signs whose fault is that if they die? simple analogy do you critise the person for laughing at the driver who died coz he failed to stop or do you critise the driver for failing to read the big red sign that says STOP especially when the word stop was shown well in advance
edit on 11/1/2011 by loner007 because: (no reason given)

hmmm if I didn't think you were nothing more than just a sad individual who could care less about his fellow man, I would swear there was a hint of back-peddling in that post
now that's the kind of thing that makes me laugh ... when some arrogant fart get's put on his @r$e ... what purpose do you think your comments serve here exactly ... especially considering the fact that ATS has a high number of Australian members ... is it just to be inciteful and get a rise out of people ... you made your point (rightly or wrongly) now why don't you step away from the spade Loser ... ooops sorry I mean Loner (silly me but an easy mistake to make under the circumstances).

You keep trying to flex your pseudo-intellect by spouting on about the Gaia Theory but if you knew the first thing about Natural Earth Sciences then you would have the intelligence to know that our planet is cyclactic ... and therefore these climate changes and extreme weather patterns would be happening with or without our input ... you would know that the planet has always ... and will always ... experienced periods of natural order ... followed by periods of natural chaos.

Grow-up man (and I use the term 'man' loosley) ... stop being such a sad individual or crawl back under your rock until you have something of substance to add to the conversation.

People are dying ... and those people may not have had a choice about living in those areas for any number of reasons did you ever consider that ?

For all those effected my thoughts are with you and I hope the waters begin to subside really soon.

>>>Note To MOD's

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Here's a couple more:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
First, I hope that the citizens of Brisbane are able to escape any deaths, and my prayers are with them.

Second, I am not convinced that this is the result us effecting the climate, as much as us effecting the flow of nature. The flood was the the result of a dam breaking correct? A dam that is an unnatural obstruction of what is supposed to happen there.

I live in Chicago, many many years ago our local government made the decision to reverse the flow the Chicago River, and set up container type structures to eliminate flooding in the city. Now, I have always wondered how long it would take for the river or Lake Michigan to set itself right again. Ever since I learned of it, at about 13 it has been a waiting game for me, because eventually I believe it will.

During the last ice age, the city and most of the suburbs, were under Lake Michigan, and the water thawed it also retreated. I wonder if we really are entering another ice age, will the lake swell to that size again? If it did, would our "improvements" lead to greater disaster?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I think he may have been turning on his 4WD - in the older models you need to turn something on the tyre rims to activate the 4WD in the front wheels. I noticed when he drove out that the tyres were still pressurised. It wuld taken alot longer to deflate the tyres properly.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join