It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unstoppable tide hits Brisbane

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Unstoppable tide hits Brisbane

bigpondnews.com

The Brisbane River has broken its banks with evacuations underway in the heart of the city amid fears Brisbane will see its worst flooding since the 1974 disaster.

It's feared Brisbane could be about to experience its worst flood since the catastrophic 1974 event, when at least 6700 homes were partially or totally flooded in the Brisbane metropolitan area.

The Wivenhoe Dam was subsequently built to the protect the city. Inflows into the dam are so vast that authorities have no choice but to continue with controlled releases, exacerbating flooding problems downstream.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
This is crazy, 75% of the entire state of Queensland has been declared a natural disaster. I live in Victoria and that to compare that would be like my entire state being under water.

Tomorrow it look as if the Brisbane River will begin to flood Brisbane CBD and many surrounding suburbs. They are in the process of cutting all power to the CBD and many other parts of the city tonight.

Just in on the news, 10 people dead including a 4 year old that was washed away and more than 80 people missing inclusing entire families.

On top of all this Brisbane is set for a king tide tomorrow. So basically we have flood waters washing downstream and tomorrow there will be a king tide trying to push it's way upstream.

bigpondnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Here are some additional sources and clips:

www.bom.gov.au...

www.brisbanetimes.com.au...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Here is a map of Brisbane and it's surrounding area's showing the flooding so far, it is actually worse than when this image was put online.

media01.couriermail.com.au...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Reminds me of the Pakistan Floods. The water just came and never stopped coming until millions were displaced.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by loner007

Fair enough the weather has been strange and it could well be an effect caused by us or perhaps no, however it's no laughing matter....

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Also you know it's bad when the nightly 6PM news that normally runs for half n hour has tonight been running for 6 hours straight.

Brisbane is a capital city, it's pretty big.

+57 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by loner007
I am sorry but i cant stop laughing. I said in other posts regarding mans affect on the climate that we will see extreme weather all over the world as the planet tries to get rid of its excess heat. read up on Gaia theory and you might understand.

That's disgusting and you should be banned. You can't stop laughing? People are dying. Houses and lives are being destroyed.

I moved away from Brisbane three years ago but I still have lots of friends and family there, including my parents only 100km from where that is, it's flooded where they live too. Your comment is vulgar, and shows absolutely no compassion for humanity whatsoever.

Maybe a flood should wash away your family, house, and car, then see how jovial you feel.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Headline 9:42 PM 11/01/2010

Flood toll rises to 10, with 78 missing

A four-year-old boy's death during an attempt to rescue his family has taken the Queensland floods death toll to 10, with 78 people still missing.

Queensland Premier Anna Bligh said the number of missing people had risen to 78 from 59, with grave concerns held for 18 people.
The four-year-old boy was swept away in floodwaters at Marburg, west of Brisbane.

'The best advice we have at this stage is that this boy's life was lost during an attempt to rescue him and his family,' Ms Bligh told reporters on Tuesday night.

Source: bigpondnews.com...

Live News: bigpondvideo.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I hope that no more lives are lost and the missing are simply that missing for moment..

I'm not particularly religious (but those in the area and those with missing friends and family) are in my thoughts.

Tho I have to admit it is a strange set of circumstances.. and in tin foil hat mode, adding up all this devastation in the world does have me worried that something else is going on..

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Member was on ATS
5 minutes ago.

i hope when you return back you apologize dude

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by loner007
I am sorry but i cant stop laughing. I said in other posts regarding mans affect on the climate that we will see extreme weather all over the world as the planet tries to get rid of its excess heat. read up on Gaia theory and you might understand.

You laugh? Sickening.

Pathetic actually.

Oh and if you're so correct, then how come in 1974 the floods were as bad, yet there was a 30 year wait for the next one? Just so you could laugh?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

because this isnt just an isolated incident is it? Its not just Australia, Pakistan had floods in 2010. and too right I laugh. YOu think last year was bad? lol wait till this year really starts. Ever heard of the saying u made ur bed now lie in it?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
OK, Lets take this as a SHTF happening scenario. Slightly of topic so apolz OP. When post Brisbane evacuees start leaving their suburbs and the mass migration of displaced souls starts moving your way to Victoria, Whats your survival plan, Hope you have made efforts to reinforce your home with extra wood and maybe steel sheets for glass doors, If you live near open civic land will it be requisitioned for displaced persons "temporary homes"

Also if you have access to a well make sure its well hidden and concealed, hide and lock any useful stuff that maybe of value to an evacuee, Sorry not trying to scare monger just making sure you got your survival head tuned in.. Good luck and stay posted..

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   

I think you should choose your words more carefully on this one pal.

I understand what point your trying to make but i come on..... like i said it's no laughing matter at all. My cousin is studying in Hervey Bay and doing work experiance for uni near Rockhampton, it's nothing worth laughing about when i cant get through to his mobile...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   

You're a real piece of work and a pathetic individual.
I don't see how anyone can laugh at others' misfortune.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by foxhoundone

Yeah of course, but that's what we do, we help each other. They will be looked after, we have already one telethon on TV to raise funds for them, we raised millions so far. The Fed Government has already pledged billions to repair infrastructure.

If someone needed a roof over their head i would help if needed, as i would expect them to do for me or my family.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Good god this is a catastrophe. The only good thing I have seen out of all of this horrible news is how few people have died or gone missing in comparison to how massive and damaging this flood is.

I assure you regardless of the Gaia theory we are all humans, laugh now but if there is such a thing as karma you shall not be laughing later. I agree that we have damaged our earth too excessively and there are consequences for every action but there are just innocent people who may or may not have done anything wrong.

Apparently this situation is expected to get a lot worse by Thursday, some are even pandering if this will rival the 1893 flood in Brisbane. So many people are being forced to leave their homes and businesses for safety away from their beloved communities.

Let us all just hope that in the end there are as few deaths and missing individuals as possible and the damage that is done is kept to the bare minimum.

There must be solidarity with the Australians of Queensland while they are going through these very trying times.

edit on 1/11/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join