It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unstoppable tide hits Brisbane

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
i forgot to add that from now on i will listen to my intuition ;-)

the Peak for Brisbane has been revised down to 5.2 meters which is .25 meters less that 1974

Peak for ipswich has been hit at 19.4 meters about 1.3 meters below 1974

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
What pisses me off is that a small sound btte of around 2 minutes on the radio news is supposed to explain the devastation. I mean I know what the other member is trying to say when he says we made our bed now we have to lie in it.

The upsetting fact about these floods and any disaster is that people only care for a short time. The truth is unless its happening to them they don't care. People are more interested in the soaps on tv than actually open their eyes to real life.

When you try and talk to people about this subject, man made disasters, environmental problems e.t.c what are their responses?

1. What can I do about it?
2. What are you doing about it?
3. There are more things to worry about than floods what about our mortgage and bills e.t.c
4. Your boring me
5. Your doing my head in
6. I am confused??

These people don't get it, the # really is about to hit the fan and there is nothing that we can do to prevent it, we have reached a point of no return, if your not preparing for this then I can only say 'good luck' I was one of these members who used to think the survival threads were full of end of the world nutters, but not now. Life is changing and by my reckoning we don't have long to be as prepared as we can ever be (if thats possible) water and food is essential, but if something like this comes at our doorstep what can we do ?

2011 is the sign of the times and people will wake up but only when they are whacked in the face by the sheer fact that their world is changing rapidly.

I feel sorry for the people in Australia and they are in my thoughts, they have been forced to wake up and see that it is not possible to shut the door of their homes to nature. It is more powerful than all of us and cannot be stopped by bullets and propaganda.

There will come a time when everyone will realise that we cannot eat money, by then the flood waters will be on our doorsteps and it will be too late.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Internet connect is highly unstable and I'd say power will go off again soon. Am expecting the water to reach my place overnight, and have done all I can. Worst part is that my house hasn't only got all of mine and my flatmates possessions, but 2 other peoples worth as well who have already fled worse conditions in the West End and had come to us thinking we would be safer.

edit on 12-1-2011 by fooffstarr because: removed images for personal reasons.

edit on 12-1-2011 by fooffstarr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by loner007

easy to say ....eating chips and reading news.. ...easy to laugh. But if it hits u..u will not laugh. U will not push the responsibility away..

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Hi All,

Just a more recent news update:

Brisbane streets to be totally inundated

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 » 07:12pm

The south Brisbane suburb of Yeronga is just one area of the city likely to be completely under water as floodwaters rise in the Brisbane River.

Lord Mayor Campbell Newman says new flood modelling now indicates that 19,700 residential properties and 3,500 commercial premises in 2,100 streets are likely to be flooded in the city.

And 6,500 homes on the first flood warning list, issued on Tuesday, are likely to be severely affected.

'For the low-lying areas, for the ones that were on the original list, those properties are going to under to a significant extent,' he told the Seven network on Wednesday morning.

The south Brisbane suburb of Yeronga is just one area of the city likely to be completely under water.

This is getting worser by the hour, although it's not all bad. Some the area's first affected by the flash flooding have started to subside although the worst is not over yet.

Brisbane and Ipswich are still under threat with the slowly rising waters. Due to the conditions it has made it possible for many to evacuate as the waters and river systems are rising steadily but will continue through out the night and tomorrow.

Residents of Chinchilla are being urged to boil drinking water first as traces of Ecoli have been found in the tap water.

Another issue many people face is the next few days without power and communication:

127,000 without power in SE Queensland

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 » 08:41pm

Around 127,000 flood-affected Queensland residents are without power, and it's unlikely many will be reconnected before the weekend.

Energex began cutting power on Wednesday morning to homes and businesses in the Brisbane CBD.

A number of buildings in the city's inner-city suburbs are also currently without power, as are residents in nearby Ipswich.
Homes in the Lockyer Valley, which was inundated by floodwaters earlier in the week, are also still without electricity.

Energex spokesman Bill Lyon said it was highly unlikely that most buildings would be reconnected before the weekend.

***Headline - Wednesday, January 12, 2011 » 08:55pm

Locals flee as Brisbane braces for peak

Floodwaters inundating Brisbane have prompted mass evacuations and brought the city to a standstill, as authorities warn of worse to come.

The Brisbane River was at 4.3m late on Wednesday afternoon and rising, causing chaos in the CBD as people were ordered out, roads were cut, and power and other essential services were shut down.

Some 400 residents have taken shelter at evacuation centres but authorities expect that number to rise dramatically as Brisbane braces for the peak of 5.2m at 4am (AEST) on Thursday.

Source: bigpondnews.com...

Good luck to all those stuck in this crisis.

edit on 12-1-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by fooffstarr

Good luck and stay safe

Keep us updated if possible

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Dragon12

Also you have to remember many if not all insurance companies dont cover flood, back in 2008 i think it was when many parts of Victoria flooded it was only out of goodwill insurers covererd their customer's. But legally they dont cover flood.

I used work for an insurance company and every single time we wrote a policy we would have to read the flood scripting blah blah.

So i feel sorry for many people that wont be coverered. I'm not 100% if it includes vehicles though.

Insurance companies also have embargoes on disaster area's, i bet if i were living in Brisbane and i called for contents insurance today they would not cover me untill after the floods had finished.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Brisbane City Council Flood Maps ( interactive map )

Flood alerts and updated QLD Govt -

www.qld.gov.au...

Emergency Alert Jan 12
Council advises that water supplies are affected due to recent flooding. Residents advised to conserve water. Council are arranging restocking Fuel and Food supplies. For information contact 5424-4000

Western Downs Emergency Alert 1445Hrs Jan 12
Western Downs Regional Council advises residents connected to Chinchilla Water Supply to boil water for 3 minutes prior to consuming until further notice as e-Coli has been detected. Please advise your neighbours. For further details contact 4662 7056.

Further updates: www.disaster.qld.gov.au...

Bureau of Meteorology Flood Webite:

www.bom.gov.au...

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Sometimes i cannot help but think how stupid must people be? Instead of building the city away from flood prone areas they decide to rebuild after the first flood at the exact same spot, and build a flood wall to protect them. And now they will pay for their ignorance.

Maybe this is part of natural selection, survival of the fittest etc.

Usually you learn from your mistakes, but what defines an idiot is trying the same thing over and over again and expect a different outcome.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by GobbledokTChipeater

Wow amazing photo's i hope you and your family / friends are ok?

I guess in some ways Ipswich, Bris and surround area's have got it abit easier as they are expecting it and the water is only rising slowly, whereas Tawoomba was hit hard and fast!

Hope you guys get back on track soon, i wish i was closer and be able to come and help first hand

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by above

I wouldnt say that, they built the Wivenhoe Dam after the 1974 floods to stop this happening again. It has done a great job compared to what would happen if it was not there.

The problem is the dam is way over capacity, last time i posted an update in regard to the dam it was at 190% capacity( it may have changed since then )

However because of this they are having to do controlled releases into the waterways otherwise the dam may burst.

These releases are making it worse further down stream and nothing can be done about it. However as i said what is happening now is nothing compared to what would happen if that dam wasnt there.

Each day they are releasing 2X the amount of water in the Sydney Harbour - Thats alot of water!!

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by fooffstarr

Good luck and I really do hope that the water resides before getting to you. Please do all you can to make sure that yourself, flat mate, neighbours are ok before thinking about your posessions. They can be replaced, your live(s) can't.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
*** News Update ***

The city of Brisbane, it's CBD and Ipswich have officially flooded, although this was expected the floods are now fully underway and getting worse and is expected to peak at approx 0400AM Thursday 13/01/11.

Sadly a man aged in his 50's has been found dead in his car in the city of Ipswich.

I will post a proper news source when i have the links, i am going off information on TV ( Nine News Aus )

Streaming News Sources Australia:

news.ninemsn.com.au...

bigpondvideo.com...

Brisbane a ghost town as water surges in

Queensland's capital has become a virtual ghost town as the Brisbane River surges towards its peak, forcing thousands to evacuate amid warnings that some areas could go completely under.

The river reached 4.6m at 4pm this afternoon, one of two tidal peaks, leaving 30 suburbs inundated and residents wading through shoulder-high water.

It is expected the peak will reach 5.5m around 4am on Thursday morning — slightly higher than the catastrophic 1974 floods — and will stay for 12-18 hours.

Source: news.ninemsn.com.au...

Through our readers eye's: news.ninemsn.com.au...

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Hi all im brand new to ATS and this is my first post.

Regarding all the flooding around south east Queensland, I am 27 of years of age and lived my whole life in Brisbane up until i moved to Toowoomba 1 year ago. On Monday afternoon In Toowoomba approximately 150mm rain fell and caused what could only be described as an inland tsunami. Now i know this doesn't sound too extreme but here is the kicker... Toowoomba is on one of the most northern points of the Great dividing range, it is basically on a mountain top which lies approximately 700 meters above sea level and has been in drought for a long time now. Having witnessed first hand the torrents of water that that claimed a mother and son (in the street where i work) and swept so many cars away, i am in total shock at the power of nature. i cannot believe that some people in here and there comments...shame on you. this town has NEVER in its entire history witnessed anything that can even be categorized with this event. In just three hours walls of water were destroying everything in its path and then dissipated.

And no, i didn't see any strange colored clouds.

edit on 12-1-2011 by James83 because: tryed to fix broken link..... help

edit on 12-1-2011 by James83 because: tryed to fix link

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by above

Instead of calling people idiots and accusing them of ignorance for living in flood-prone areas, how about we educate ourselves on why people choose to do so?

I can't speak for Brisbane, but people have often accused the Dutch of similar madness for living below sea level and protecting themselves with expensive delta's and watersystems which they know will fail at some point in the future. For us, the prime answer -among others- is money. The low-lying lands we reclaimed from the sea are incredibly fertile. So much so that the Netherlands is the worlds biggest exporter of potatoes. Plus, as a trade-economy providing access to the European backlands we need major harbors close to sea. Those need a major workforce and the workforce needs nearby housing opportunities, hence the cities below sea level. In favor of our economy we accept the risk and will rebuild after each catastrophe. We have to, and we can.

There are undoubtedly similar arguments to be made for Queensland.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tayesin
Photos sent in to 9MSN.. 196 so far so it takes a while to see them all.

Flood Photos

Someone said this is Queensland's "Katrina", and in these photos it does seem like it.

Incredible ... I can't even begin to imagine how difficult the clean-up will be once the water does go ... I know my thoughts and well-wishes can't make it go away but they are with all of those effected anyway.

Woody

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

nope, its a nissan patrol and he is locking his hubs.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by James83

Fair enough, my eyes don't see so well these days....

Anyhoo, lets get past whether the man was letting down tyres or locking hubs and focus on the tragedy itself eh?

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by James83

The URL contained a malformed video . Your linky is broke matey,
Just thought i would check in to make sure your all safe and sound. Get those water and provisions stacked up its not gonna be to cosy the next few weeks (months ??). And be prepared for some sort of Marshall law kicking in, You don't want to get caught up in that, ( Govt insurance disclaimers). Kith an Kin come first,Good luck,

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

yeah mate, no worries dint mean to divert the focus,

by the looks of things here i believe the death toll could rise to 30 as flood waters recceed, i dont think brisbane will suffer too many casualties if any, due to the flood being a slow rising type and the ample warnings, unlike the flash floods that hit toowoomba and the lockyer valley.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join