It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

C'mon ATS!!! Australia needs us!!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by AutOmatIc
My heart goes out to you Australian blokes, you guys are about as tough as they come. If I had the ability or the money I'd be there in a flash to help. I think it's rather fantastic how the players are signing up to help out...shows the world what type of folks you really have down there, more people in the world should be like you guys.

Yep. Same thing happened during the Vic bushfires in 2009. When it comes down to it, I don't think there are many places that wouldn't respond in the same manner given such a disaster.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Queen makes private donation to aid Australian flood relief

LONDON—Buckingham Palace says Queen Elizabeth II has made a private donation to help relief efforts during the floods in Australia.

The palace said in a statement Wednesday that the funds will go to the Premier of Queensland’s flood relief appeal. It did not say how much the donation was.

The queen said last month in a statement that she has been following the news of the floods in Brisbane with great concern, and extended her sympathies to all affected.

Prime Minister David Cameron spoke to his Australian counterpart Julia Gillard earlier Wednesday by phone to express his sympathy on behalf of the British people.

His office said in a statement that Cameron told Gillard that Britain stands ready to offer any assistance needed.

www.thestar.com...

STATEMENT FROM JOHN O’NEILL: QUEENSLAND FLOODS
January 11, 2011 - 6:53pm
Story by: ARU

Our thoughts and prayers are with all of those affected by the devastating floods in Queensland. To ensure those impacted by the flood waters are supported the ARU is donating $50,000 to the flood relief appeal and we are also working on other measures that will further support the communities affected.

The recent Flood Appeal Telethon, hosted by Channel 9, was supported by the Queensland Reds who provided players to answer phones and take donations through the course of the night.

The Reds, with the support of the ARU, are also developing several projects that will aim to provide support and assistance to the areas impacted by the flood waters.

I congratulate Qantas Wallabies and Queensland Reds players Anthony and Saia Faingaa who have announced they will donate their first Super Rugby game match payments to the flood relief appeal.

I understand that other players are planning to make their own contributions to the appeal as the extent of the flooding unfolds.

www.rugby.com.au...

"The Faingaa twins have announced they will donate their first match payments from the Super Rugby season to the flood cause and have urged rugby players throughout the country to do the same."

The Gold Coast Blaze basketball club has joined the fight to help victims with several fundraising initiatives.

The Blaze will hold an online auction from 5pm today with an autographed game ball and fully-framed autographed singlet up for grabs, with all proceeds going to the flood relief appeal.
edit on 12-1-2011 by NadaCambia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

A before and after somebody put together for the BBC. Puts the severity and level of water into perspective

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by NadaCambia

So what the hell I'm wondering is when Gillard is going to accept some of these donations? or are they loans? if they're loans then I'm glad she isn't taking their help - they would own us after that. But if they're donations and she's doesn't accept them....kick her out of office at the least.

-B.M

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1
reply to post by B.Morrison

No worries.

I have stayed in Toowoomba quite often and when I saw the news it just blew me away.
Ipswich too.
Brisbane
Sunshine and Gold coasts.
...I know what you mean, it cuts, I lived in tin can bay for a year - the only road in or out of tin can cuts straight through gympie - if gympie flooded quickly then theres a good chance that the 2-300 residents of tin can are stuck there - its a low level coastal town....I worry for them.

I would love to jump on a plane and do something to repay all that friendship and hospitality.
Dont suppose you have any info for volunteering as a forigner? Been looking and cant find anything.

I'm sorry I don't, but I will keep an eye out ..

Thank you for showing your support, this thread in itself is a noble gesture

-B.M

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
For those of you interested in helping out, there are websites that you can use to donate to:

www.qld.gov.au...

If you scroll down, there is a link for a form to donate, if you wish to do so.

Again, thank you all for all of your kind words.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Live news from OZ..
Nation Nine News Flood Coverage

Horrible to watch but once again that Aussie spirit just keeps shining through with almost every story of rescue and courage.

edit on 13/1/11 by CthulhuRising because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by CthulhuRising

Two most tragic stories I have found:

www.news.com.au...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I have to say how proud I am of my Aussie friends and family at how they are handling this situation.

Just saw a guy in bris talking about the "new swimming pool" he has in place of his house.

I have a feeling that Queenslanders will come out of this having gained more in community spirit and solidarity, and make a beautifull state even better.

Tough times ahead for sure.

But they will handle it

I to would echo what an above poster said about donations.

Please visit the link in my signiture and help these people out.

They are tough, but our help would make things a lot easier.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   

I have to say how proud I am of my Aussie friends and family at how they are handling this situation.

Just saw a guy in bris talking about the "new swimming pool" he has in place of his house.

I have a feeling that Queenslanders will come out of this having gained more in community spirit and solidarity, and make a beautifull state even better.

Tough times ahead for sure.

But they will handle it

I to would echo what an above poster said about donations.

Please visit the link in my signiture and help these people out.

They are tough, but our help would make things a lot easier.

The community spirit I've seen the past fews days sure does make me proud to be a Queenslander.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

126ft of water, 9m, has just hit the whole of Queensland...

Help

i'm sorry but this is just hilarious. ATS has turned into training grounds for local news anchor hacks.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by mbzastava

Help

i'm sorry but this is just hilarious. ATS has turned into training grounds for local news anchor hacks.

Yeah

Funny huh?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Help

Wow, you have an attitude for being 1 day old here.

How about you keep your unwarranted opinions to yourself for now...

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf

Help

Wow, you have an attitude for being 1 day old here.

How about you keep your unwarranted opinions to yourself for now...

There seems to be a lot of morons joining ATS at the moment hey?

I think it may be the publicity from the shooting.

Never mind.

How you guys bearing up at the mo?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

Floods in rural Victoria
Not a huge deal, but this is bang smack right where my dads farm is. He's NOT complaining... yet.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Thank you mods for being on the ball

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by squandered

So you all know, the rain front extends from Above Brisbane to Tasmania which is as far as central America extends top-bottom, or perhaps Glasgow to Budapest.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by squandered
reply to post by Yissachar1

Floods in rural Victoria
Not a huge deal, but this is bang smack right where my dads farm is. He's NOT complaining... yet.

Is the water coming from the darlings?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by squandered
reply to post by squandered

So you all know, the rain front extends from Above Brisbane to Tasmania which is as far as central America extends top-bottom, or perhaps Glasgow to Budapest.

I have only been to Vic once just before the bush fires so am not as familiar with the area as I am Queensland but do know the scope of what you are talking about.

I know they are blaming el nina at the mo, but with the stuff happening here in the UK too, eg, we have had the coldest winter on record which has suddenly turned very mild and now we are expecting tornadoes and waterspouts.

I dont buy it.

I think with all the mad weather and unexplained animal deaths in the north and southern hemisphere that there is something deeper happening.

Regardless.

Stay safe my friend.

Hope you and yours get by with minimum fuss

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join