It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

C'mon ATS!!! Australia needs us!!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by NadaCambia

Yeah

A snowflake falls on London and it gets blanket coverage

Yet most of us here have friends and family in Australia and its sad how the media here are responding.

edit on 11-1-2011 by Yissachar1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

Thanks to you, Zazz and Davespanner for the heads up Iv sent donations 3 times (online) and getting together with my CPA to send some more when the weather permits here in North Georgia. I knew it was bad but until last night I had no clue how bad it really was. My heart and prayers gos out to them.
edit on 11-1-2011 by hillbilly4rent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I heard on the news just a little about some flooding problems but nothing like what is happening. I hope good evacuation plans are in order, medical needs met, (American Red Cross will help with this), food, shelter. I can't believe this is not top news here in the US. My heart goes out to all concerned. Is there a link to a newspaper or TV station that will give updates from Australia, if so, could you provide?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

www.smh.com.au...

www.skynews.com.au...

au.news.yahoo.com...

Here's a few to get you started mate.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Thank you for the links, putting them on my desktop for easy reference. Peace

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

UPDATE:

www.smh.com.au...

A dam and a prayer

The devastating flood has left whole families missing, now a mighty dam built to protect Brisbane after its last major flood disaster is at bursting point, reports David Humphries.

WITH the dead and missing in its wake, the worst flood in 100 years is building towards Brisbane as Australia's third-biggest city holds its breath and hopes a dam 80 kilometres to its west can keep back enough water to avoid a disaster of biblical proportions.

The Wivenhoe Dam - built to spare the Queensland capital a repeat of devastating floods in 1974 - is at its limit. ''And they now have to discharge that water [further swelling the Brisbane River] … because more is on the way,'' the lord mayor, Campbell Newman, said yesterday of the ''huge challenge'' facing Wivenhoe authorities.

www.smh.com.au...

au.news.yahoo.com...

Wivenhoe put to the ultimate test

Brisbane's main defence from a catastrophic flood is facing an unprecedented test as heavy rain continues to inundate southern Queensland.

Further upstream the Wivenhoe Dam, built in the wake of the deadly 1974 floods, is pumping record amounts of water over its spillway as the flood situation rapidly changes.

Last night releases from Wivenhoe's five gates were at about 236,000 megalitres, but that level will be increased today.

'Catastrophic'

Professor Chanson says the dam operators have been progressively releasing water from the dam to prevent it filling.

"If the Wivenhoe become full up to the stage where the water in the reservoir is very close to the crest of the dam, it would mean a situation where the operators of the dam would have to open fully the gate of the spillway," he said.

"Anything coming into the reservoir would have to be immediately discharged."

He says it would be catastrophic if water made it over the top of the dam wall.

"The Wivenhoe Dam is not designed to be overtopped, it is what we call an embankment dam. And if water was to flow over the top of the crest of the dam, there would be a very high risk of erosion of the dam wall and ultimately failure of the dam," he said.

"If the water was to spill over the top of the crest of the dam we would look at the failure of the dam on the possible complete emptying of the reservoir into the Brisbane River with deadly consequences for the people living downstream."

au.news.yahoo.com...

If the dam breaks it will make the current flood look like a puddle.

I don't think I can sleep tonight, even though I'm down here in Sydney I have relatives up there, thankfully safe at the moment but that could change in a heartbeat.

Mannnnn...

AND a king tide?

Just when you think it cant get worse it does. And again..

The lack of international response is shaming on everyone.

Most folks here in the UK have friends and family there plus hold dual british citizenship. I havent heard nothing from my government as regards to aid for our Aussie cousins.

They are family ffs!

Wtf are they playing at??

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

I'm a little surprised at the lack of international media response to this. And what we have seen so far is nothing compared to the next 2 days or more in particular.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

How can I help? I'm halfway across the world. I could mail a raincoat I guess...?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Do you know if American is sending aid? I certainly hope so!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
Do you know if American is sending aid? I certainly hope so!

Yes the US have indeed

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

All I can say is WOW!

As I read the OP, I started looking for lists of who is helping Australia and so far all I see is UNICEF. This is bad because the first thing I should have seen was American Red Cross. For an event this big from a country that has provided aide in the past, there seems to be something dubious about the lack of news coverage for an event that is bigger than Katrina.
I'm of the opinion that maybe we should just do it ourselves. Maybe the OP can provide a place where we can just use FedEx, USPS, UPS and the like to just send supplies. We can collect canned goods, water and food and just send it directly. It sickens me to know that no one is acting to help these people in need, just like it sickened me during Katrina watching those people suffer.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaWhiz

All I can say is WOW!

As I read the OP, I started looking for lists of who is helping Australia and so far all I see is UNICEF. This is bad because the first thing I should have seen was American Red Cross. For an event this big from a country that has provided aide in the past, there seems to be something dubious about the lack of news coverage for an event that is bigger than Katrina.
I'm of the opinion that maybe we should just do it ourselves. Maybe the OP can provide a place where we can just use FedEx, USPS, UPS and the like to just send supplies. We can collect canned goods, water and food and just send it directly. It sickens me to know that no one is acting to help these people in need, just like it sickened me during Katrina watching those people suffer.

HERE IS WHERE you will find all the information needed to give to the disaster appeal.

Sending stuff to Oz is very expensive and can take weeks to get there especially by ship. Giving money is the best thing to do in this case and will help with rebuilding after the floods have past

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   

That and getting the goods to where they are needed, once here, will be difficult in itself seeing as though not only 75% of the entire state is flooded but emergency services will already be flat out trying to co-ordinate the life-saving efforts and subsequent massive clean-up. Don't forget that many of the roads will be impassable for weeks due to pile up of flood rubbish and wash-outs.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Maybe if I may, is this thread related why this is happening in Australia.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
As is always the case, the Salvation Army is already there helping, which is why I chose to give to them instead of the Red Cross. They were the first into New Orleans and Haiti and yet go unsung because of the Media's bias towards religious organizations. That does not matter to victims, so please consider having your dollars go where they should go.

When the military arrived in Haiti, the Salvation Army already had five loads of food and aid on the ground. The military, a day late and a dollar short would not even help them with trucks to get the food to the people of Haiti. When the Red Cross was still sitting in Hotel Rooms watching movies, the Salvation Army was already distributing food inside of New Orleans. You might remember the trailer next to the Dome while the Red Cross was still saying it was to dangerous to help people?

Link to Salvation Army in Australia.

I have not called yet, but in the past they have always provided a way to designate any donations to a specific cause. You should be able to give locally and have it go there as well. They don't judge, they don't put strangling restrictions on those trying to help on the ground and they will take risk themselves to help. Having dealt with the Red Cross before, the Salvation Army is much better at the task at hand IMHO.

edit on 1/11/2011 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Wow. I had no idea the situation was this bad (I don't have a tv, thus have not seen any footage). Quite concerning.

Originally posted by Yissachar1

HERE IS WHERE you will find all the information needed to give to the disaster appeal.

Sending stuff to Oz is very expensive and can take weeks to get there especially by ship. Giving money is the best thing to do in this case and will help with rebuilding after the floods have past

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Salvos Cook For Hundreds

Salvation Army Officer Captain Peter McQuigan says they have a team of about 40 people cooking and distributing food to the evacuation centre.

He says a lot of the food is purchased from local producers and suppliers.

"But on top of that there's lots of donations coming in from the general public and that includes private citizens and businesses in town, coming and donating food to be used," he says.

Ipswich To The Rescue.

Salvation Army Major Margaret Dobbie and Judy Langlands from Ipswich flew to Rockhampton to help prepare food for the hundreds of emergency service personnel dealing with the Fitzroy River flooding. Photo: Chris Ison ROK010111

AS Queensland struggles to recover from floods of ‘biblical proportions', Ipswich volunteers have gone to the aid of devastated flood victims.

As I already knew I would find, the Salvation Army is knee deep in helping. Not making promises of money that may or may not show up in a few months as governments do; Not dragging their feet, mired in a bureaucratic mess like the very political Red Cross, dotting "I's" and crossing "T's" but Right in the middle of things helping people who need help.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
Salvos Cook For Hundreds

Salvation Army Officer Captain Peter McQuigan says they have a team of about 40 people cooking and distributing food to the evacuation centre.

He says a lot of the food is purchased from local producers and suppliers.

"But on top of that there's lots of donations coming in from the general public and that includes private citizens and businesses in town, coming and donating food to be used," he says.

Ipswich To The Rescue.

Salvation Army Major Margaret Dobbie and Judy Langlands from Ipswich flew to Rockhampton to help prepare food for the hundreds of emergency service personnel dealing with the Fitzroy River flooding. Photo: Chris Ison ROK010111

AS Queensland struggles to recover from floods of ‘biblical proportions', Ipswich volunteers have gone to the aid of devastated flood victims.

As I already knew I would find, the Salvation Army is knee deep in helping. Not making promises of money that may or may not show up in a few months as governments do; Not dragging their feet, mired in a bureaucratic mess like the very political Red Cross, dotting "I's" and crossing "T's" but Right in the middle of things helping people who need help.

You gotta love the sally army

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

40,000 properties are at risk from floodwater expected to hit Brisbane Some areas lying 60 feet under water Women and children among 78 still missing Tens of thousands of people have been told to flee Australia’s third largest city as catastrophic floods loom At least 40,000 homes are at risk from the waters expected to hit the centre of Brisbane today and tomorrow. Floods raging down from the north combined with water released from a dam to prevent it bursting created a huge wave that was surging bursting created a huge wave that was surging towards the city of two million people under sheets of drenching rain. Six inches fell in one hour

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Just for a look back to 1974, and because the song rocks, here's a slideshow of images of the brissy floods in 74, the only real difference imo is the era - the Aussie spirit is the first thing I noticed about these images...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join