It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

C'mon ATS!!! Australia needs us!!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by NadaCambia

Originally posted by doobydoll
reply to post by hypervalentiodine

A horrific situation to be in - I hope you stay safe.

My son-in-law's parents live and work in Port Hedland, WA, the other side of the country as this disaster - but we're still watching the updates on this because with all this freak and weird weather, who knows what will happen next or where.

It's possible that could all find ourselves in a situation like this one day, and maybe soon - we need to know what to do and any info posted here can help us all.

S&F

A tropical cyclone is meant to hit Queensland on the 28th of January. Supposedly.

Yes I've heard so - as if they haven't enough to contend with.

It seems they don't even have any good news to look forward to soon.

How on earth will they recover from this?

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   

reply to post by hypervalentiodine

A horrific situation to be in - I hope you stay safe.

My son-in-law's parents live and work in Port Hedland, WA, the other side of the country as this disaster - but we're still watching the updates on this because with all this freak and weird weather, who knows what will happen next or where.

It's possible that could all find ourselves in a situation like this one day, and maybe soon - we need to know what to do and any info posted here can help us all.

S&F

A tropical cyclone is meant to hit Queensland on the 28th of January. Supposedly.

Yes I've heard so - as if they haven't enough to contend with.

It seems they don't even have any good news to look forward to soon.

How on earth will they recover from this?

They can always look forward to beating NSW in the State of Origin series, for the sixth time in a row

On a serious note, Australians, especially folk in Queensland, are a pretty resiliant and salt of the earth type of people. While not to take away from the severity of the situation, I'm certain they'll get through it easy enough. Relatively speaking
edit on 12-1-2011 by NadaCambia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by NadaCambia

Beat them at what? lol. I'm presuming you're referring to a sport, but I don't know which, is it cricket? lol (sorry for being so dim).

I hope conditions improve for Queens Land soon. I'm keeping this thread open and checking for updates regularly.

Good thread, there's more up to date info on here that MSM doesn't cover

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Beat them at what? lol. I'm presuming you're referring to a sport, but I don't know which, is it cricket? lol (sorry for being so dim).

I hope conditions improve for Queens Land soon. I'm keeping this thread open and checking for updates regularly.

Lol. Rugby League. There is a 3 game series in Aus between the Queensland bogans and NSW called 'State of Origin'. Cricket really isn't that popular outside of internationals against us 'poms'. State of Origin is THE sporting event in Australia. Unless you're an AFL fan, in which case your opinion is invalid

I wouldn't categorise Origin as a sport in the typical sense of the word though. It's more of a mass brawl with a bit of rugby thrown in. An excuse to 'biff' as the Aussies would say. Or drink XXXX lager if you're a Queensland mungo

I get carried away. Love Australian League and the Aussies.

Hopefully in round 1 of the NRL and AFL both sports will use it to generate donations for the flooding victims. Brisbane have a team called the Broncos, I'm sure they'll be trying to help out too. We need wealthy organisations and sports to make an effort. They're paramount to millions of people

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Looks like they're already getting involved, which is good to see.

NRL stars unite for flood victims

AS CHRIS Walker spoke to The Daily Telegraph yesterday, the home of older brother Ben disappeared.

"Yeah, it's going under right now," the Parramatta recruit revealed. "Ben called me only a couple of minutes ago from Ipswich - said he was walking out as the water lapped his veranda.

"Apparently he's heading off to help mates sandbag their joints.

"My brother Shane is doing the same in Brisbane.

"So if we can just get approval for a more of us up there ... "

In a stunning response to the devastating Queensland flood crisis, some 80 NRL stars - the us as Walker puts it - are offering themselves up for emergency relief efforts across the stricken state.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal players from Parramatta, Penrith, Wests Tigers and Canterbury are all planning to converge on the disaster zones of Ipswich, Toowoomba and Brisbane early next week.

Speaking last night, Eels CEO Paul Osborne said the unified posse was awaiting confirmation from Queensland authorities that (a) players could get into the affected areas; and (b) they could be accommodated for up to three days.

"Like the rest of Australia we simply want to do whatever we can to help," Osborne said. "Clean houses, remove rubbish, whatever. We want to show the people of Queensland that we're here for them, that we care."The united relief effort was first born early Tuesday morning when Walker - who boasts family throughout the flooded Toowoomba and Ipswich regions - asked Osborne for a handful of signed jerseys to send north. Instead, the Eels boss got on the phone to chairman Roy Spagnolo. Then Canterbury rival Todd Greenberg. Another call each and the Panthers and Tigers were also on board.

"All of Australia is trying to work out how best to provide assistance and we're no different," Greenberg said. "Obviously we'll be doing fundraisers but we also decided an appropriate response would be our physical presence."

While the group will be guided by Queensland officials when it comes to the numbers of players who travel, Parramatta have already offered up their entire NRL squad.

Bulldogs back-rower David Stagg, who made his Origin debut for Queensland in 2006, will lead the Canterbury contingent while Maroons legend Petero Civoniceva is tipped to co-ordinate the Panthers.

"And to be honest it's all a bit overwhelming." Walker continued. "To think that 24 hours after chasing up four jerseys we've got four clubs involved, it's incredible.

"I know Queenslanders will really appreciate us getting involved with the clean up, school visits, helping wherever we can.

"A few days back, the house my in-laws live in at Toowoomba was 20 metres from being swept away. That's how bad it is up there ... the lucky ones only have their houses flooded."

www.heraldsun.com.au...

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Lol. Rugby League. There is a 3 game series in Aus between the Queensland bogans and NSW called 'State of Origin'. Cricket really isn't that popular outside of internationals against us 'poms'. State of Origin is THE sporting event in Australia. Unless you're an AFL fan, in which case your opinion is invalid

I wouldn't categorise Origin as a sport in the typical sense of the word though. It's more of a mass brawl with a bit of rugby thrown in. An excuse to 'biff' as the Aussies would say. Or drink XXXX lager if you're a Queensland mungo

I get carried away. Love Australian League and the Aussies.

Hopefully in round 1 of the NRL and AFL both sports will use it to generate donations for the flooding victims. Brisbane have a team called the Broncos, I'm sure they'll be trying to help out too. We need wealthy organisations and sports to make an effort. They're paramount to millions of people

OUCHY WOWA!

Just looked at the pics - Looks such fun

I'll never understand these sports thingies lol ... never - >big sigh<

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Cane Toads all the way

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1
And now there is a cyclone comming.

I'm significantly freaked out about this. This is f---ked.

-B.M
edit on 12/1/11 by B.Morrison because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by B.Morrison

Originally posted by Yissachar1
And now there is a cyclone comming.

I'm significantly freaked out about this. This is f---ked.

-B.M

HERE is thr latest info i could find about cyclone "vince".

It seems that its a case of wait and see.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Mr McErlean thought he got it wrong when he saw a water gauge on a street in Toowoomba rise 20 centimetres in 10 seconds on Monday afternoon.

Five minutes later he was clinging to a pole, dodging cars and wheelie bins

source

If anyone clicks the link I will warn you its a very sad story. I just wanted to highlight the speed of the rising water. It's impossible to imagine what they went though, my heart goes out to them.

-B.M

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

thank you for the information

"We have a railway line about 60 or 70 metres suspended in mid-air and two cars that are virtually unrecognisable that have floated and smashed into the rail. Cars were swept away, houses were ripped from their stumps and a building has collapsed. This is unbelievable damage ... Crazy weather, unprecedented weather. I've talked to old timers in the street who've been here since the '50s - there was a fair bit of water around in the '50s but they can't remember it like this."
- Toowoomba Mayor Peter Taylor.

"We've had multiple triple-0 calls requesting urgent assistance from people caught in vehicles, caught on the street, caught in floodways. This has just evolved. There has been no warning of this event."
- Deputy Police Commissioner Ian Stewart

"I was just coming back from Withcott when it started. I was driving across about 10 inches of water and a wall of water came down, picked my ute up, pushed it sidewards. If it had been a little car it would have killed everyone in it ... It's like Cyclone Tracy hit it."
- Lockyer Valley Mayor Steve Jones.

source

-B.M

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by B.Morrison

No worries.

I have stayed in Toowoomba quite often and when I saw the news it just blew me away.

Ipswich too.

Brisbane

Sunshine and Gold coasts.

And the hospitality I have recieved from Queenslanders is always awesome.

I would love to jump on a plane and do something to repay all that friendship and hospitality.

Dont suppose you have any info for volunteering as a forigner? Been looking and cant find anything.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
FLOOD LATEST

At least its not as bad as projected, though still bad.

Just hope the cyclone holds off and the king tide does no harm too

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Firstly.... QUEENSLANDER!!! lol Someone put arm floaties a mask and snorkel on Queenslands biggest State Of Origin hero yesterday.. so funny and great to lighten the gloomy mood

Secondly.... Cyclone Vince is on the west coast of Australia and is at the moment of no real threat to any major community.

Thirdly... I find even the mention of an Australia Day cyclone to be completely irresponsible journalism. People are worried about their future enough without media outlets trying to out-do each other with doomsday predictions such as the constant loop of a 7meter peak of the Brisbane river (was NEVER going to happen) and this supposed cyclone that's not even in existance yet.

Good news is all the major rivers have peaked lower than first forecasted (suprise suprise) and some lower level flooding has even begun to receed. It will still be quite a while before the water leaves us completely but as long as the weather is fine and the high tide this afternoon doesn't come up too much we're looking at maybe Monday next week when most people will be able to go home

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
If I can help in any way I'm sure this is it. If people get sick and can't make it to a medical facility there are some damn good remedies I have collected right here. Please be well my aussie brothers. Excellent thread. FnS.

Above top secret

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

"State of Origin is THE sporting event in Australia. Unless you're an AFL fan, in which case your opinion is invalid"

I'm from Victoria and I officially hate you!

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by squandered

"State of Origin is THE sporting event in Australia. Unless you're an AFL fan, in which case your opinion is invalid"

I'm from Victoria and I officially hate you!

Found this picture of Suncorp Stadium

Wow. It looks to be about 10-20 rows under water

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by damn_ummmm

Firstly.... QUEENSLANDER!!! lol Someone put arm floaties a mask and snorkel on Queenslands biggest State Of Origin hero yesterday.. so funny and great to lighten the gloomy mood

Found it! Gotta love the aussie sense of humour

I've heard you've got bull sharks swimming about too mate?

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by damn_ummmm

Secondly.... Cyclone Vince is on the west coast of Australia and is at the moment of no real threat to any major community.

Thirdly... I find even the mention of an Australia Day cyclone to be completely irresponsible journalism. People are worried about their future enough without media outlets trying to out-do each other with doomsday predictions such as the constant loop of a 7meter peak of the Brisbane river (was NEVER going to happen) and this supposed cyclone that's not even in existance yet.

Good news is all the major rivers have peaked lower than first forecasted (suprise suprise) and some lower level flooding has even begun to receed. It will still be quite a while before the water leaves us completely but as long as the weather is fine and the high tide this afternoon doesn't come up too much we're looking at maybe Monday next week when most people will be able to go home

I saw one report from 9 news calling certain areas 'death valley', etc. I think it's absolutely appalling that they would do things like this - as if people need their spirits dampened any more. The cyclone that they think might hit the SE is most likely going to go out to see. We probably won't see so much as a drop of it, so I agree that it is irresponsible journalism to be reporting it otherwise.

high tide is still to come today, so here's to hoping it's not going to get too much worse. Water is half way to my house as I write this :S

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
My heart goes out to you Australian blokes, you guys are about as tough as they come. If I had the ability or the money I'd be there in a flash to help. I think it's rather fantastic how the players are signing up to help out...shows the world what type of folks you really have down there, more people in the world should be like you guys.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join