It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The God of the gaps

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ
Given that I can reply to your question I'm pretty sure I'm conscious

I don't believe you, prove it. Not t be facetious, but clever bot answers my questions all the time. Even clever bot is having a hard time convincing me that it is real and conscious.

As for the purpose...I don't really need one. I got a few I could think off, but I don't need a purpose to exist or be happy.

If you do not need a purpose to exist, then why exist at all?

As for the others who keep on saying "something had to create everything"...that's once again filling a gap in knowledge with a mythical creature. We have ZERO indication that something created everything. It might be uncomfortable or scary for you to feeling like you don't have a purpose or that there is no guiding "intelligence"...but to our current scientific knowledge there's no indication a mythical super being created everything.

This is lazy logic my friend. Something does not come from nothing. If there is nothing, there is nothing to create something. You need a ONE.

Watch...

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by IAMIAM

This is lazy logic my friend. Something does not come from nothing. If there is nothing, there is nothing to create something. You need a ONE.

No, THIS is lazy logic. You are presuming that "something came from nothing", though you have not established that "nothing" was the default state.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

You're ASSUMING that at one point there was nothing without providing any evidence to back up your claims. That's what I mean with "god of the gaps"!!! You can't know if there was nothing at one point, yet you fill this GAP IN KNOWLEDGE with mythicism...

As for proving that I'm conscious, I just did by answering your question. If I weren't conscious, I couldn't answer that question or get annoyed at people using the god of the gaps while pretending they don't

No offense btw, but your last post is a prime example of god of the gaps...
edit on 10-1-2011 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

No, THIS is lazy logic. You are presuming that "something came from nothing", though you have not established that "nothing" was the default state.

reply to post by IAMIAM

You're ASSUMING that at one point there was nothing without providing any evidence to back up your claims. That's what I mean with "god of the gaps"!!! You can't know if there was nothing at one point, yet you fill this GAP IN KNOWLEDGE with mythicism...

Are you so quick to discount me my friend/s, that you are speed reading over my words?

I did not presume what you state I presume. Reread what I said above paying particular attention to the bold and italics.

With Love,

Your Brother

edit on 10-1-2011 by IAMIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
edit
edit on 10-1-2011 by traditionaldrummer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

As for proving that I'm conscious, I just did by answering your question. If I weren't conscious, I couldn't answer that question or get annoyed at people using the god of the gaps while pretending they don't

Ok, if you answering my questions is proof enough that you are conscious, allow me to introduce you to your conscious Brother.

Say Hello!

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

Glad you caught that!

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Ok, if you answering my questions is proof enough that you are conscious, allow me to introduce you to your conscious Brother.

Say Hello!

With Love,

Your Brother

Oh look, a bot that's been programmed to respond with pre-defined phrases responding to typed in words...that's not consciousness, and I hope you see this

For fun's sake, let's see if that bot is a creationist or atheist:

what created life?

God was. God is. God will always be.

I guess the programmer was a creationist

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Matthew 5:30 KJV
And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast [it] from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not [that] thy whole body should be cast into hell.

Explain to me how this is "true". and not, say, Jesus being a complete idiot.

If something about you does not benefit the whole, get rid of it. It is better to get rid of a small thing about yourself than cling to it, and let it bring your whole being down.

This goes with beliefs as well. If your beliefs do not bring you peace, joy, and love for all, get rid of them. It is better to lose a belief and be happy, than hold that belief and be miserable.

With Love,

Your Brother
edit on 10-1-2011 by IAMIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Oh look, a bot that's been programmed to respond with pre-defined phrases responding to typed in words...that's not consciousness, and I hope you see this

Really, have you not been programmed based on what you have learned?

Would you like me to turn water to wine?
Would you like to do it yourself?

Get one glass of fresh tap water.

Look closely at it.

It is water isn't it?

Good.

Now call it wine!

It is wine!

Don't believe me? I guess you are programed.

A programmer makes his language. A program follows the language of the programmer.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

Well, I can change my opinion based on new facts...this bot can't do that. He can't do it because he's not conscious and therefore not able to abandon preconceived notions. But of course some humans act like this bot by assuming things based on what they've been told a long time ago. Believing in the global flood is an example of that. Science makes it pretty clear that this global flood and Noah's arc with 2 of each kind never happened...yet there's still people who act like bots who can't open their eyes to reality.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

If something about you does not benefit the whole, get rid of it. It is better to get rid of a small thing about yourself than cling to it, and let it bring your whole being down.

Jesus is specifically discussing ways to enter the kingdom of heaven and avoiding hell, not getting rid of things that fail to have a holistic benefit or achieving a psychological equilibrium.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Would you like me to turn water to wine?
Would you like to do it yourself?

Get one glass of fresh tap water.

Look closely at it.

It is water isn't it?

Good.

Now call it wine!

It is wine!

Don't believe me? I guess you are programed.

No, it's just water that you've redefined as wine. Just as you take the phrase "everything as a whole" and redefine it as "god". This has nothing to do with programming.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Well, I can change my opinion based on new facts...this bot can't do that. He can't do it because he's not conscious and therefore not able to abandon preconceived notions. But of course some humans act like this bot by assuming things based on what they've been told a long time ago. Believing in the global flood is an example of that. Science makes it pretty clear that this global flood and Noah's arc with 2 of each kind never happened...yet there's still people who act like bots who can't open their eyes to reality.

Actually my friend, the bot does not have any preconceived notions. It is programmed to learn from its interactions with others. The more people that interact with it, the more it learns. The answers it gives are based on answers others have given it in previous conversations.

Bringing up Noahs ark is irrelevant to the conversation you and I are having. I do not see the story as literal, but as a flowerful tale of an actual event which science now confirms is highly likely to have happened with the thawing of the polar caps after the last ice age.

Many tribes around the world have the flood tale in their mythos, and it is equally flowery. This is how tales are remembered and passed down through history. They are exagerated so people want to remember them. What was on the evening news last week? The dull everyday stories you can't even remember. Yet if I asked about the History of the Spartans, most will recount how 300 stood against Millions!

Exaggeration was a necessity before written records and even after since the population could not read. Now, not so much, maybe.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Jesus is specifically discussing ways to enter the kingdom of heaven and avoiding hell, not getting rid of things that fail to have a holistic benefit or achieving a psychological equilibrium.

Heaven is right before your eyes my friend. It is this existence. We have made it a hell by our system of iniquities. Give it time, they are crumbling right before your eyes.

Yes, he was telling how to enter this kingdom. Get rid of those things in your mind that make you unable to see this place as heaven. If you see someone in need help them, that they too may see it as heaven.

If we helped each other instead of judging one another, we will see that heaven has been here all along.

It begins with you. Can you cut off those beliefs you hold so dear, that prevent you from seeing this heaven we are in? Can you not judge, but love instead?

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

No, it's just water that you've redefined as wine. Just as you take the phrase "everything as a whole" and redefine it as "god". This has nothing to do with programming.

Don't you have free will my friend? Isn't the right to call things what you want part of your free will?

If you can do it, it is your free will.

If you cannot call water wine, you have limited your own free will.

Not me.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Don't you have free will my friend? Isn't the right to call things what you want part of your free will?

If you can do it, it is your free will.

If you cannot call water wine, you have limited your own free will.

Sure, you can call water wine, thought let's not mistake this for turning water into wine.
---

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Heaven is right before your eyes my friend. It is this existence. We have made it a hell by our system of iniquities. Give it time, they are crumbling right before your eyes.

Your definition of heaven sure differs greatly from Jesus's definition. This, of course, calls into doubt all of your interpretations of Jesus' messages.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Sure, you can call water wine, thought let's not mistake this for turning water into wine.
---

It's a lesson in free will my friend. That is all it was ever meant to be. What we call things is irrelevant. They are artificial constructs of thought. Too often we let these constructs get in the way of understanding each other. A Theist can no more define God as a Scientist can define everything. What they argue over is a word, nothing more.

Forget the words and you will see we are all just trying to get a better understanding of what this existence is. Forget the words and you will see we are all just the same. We all have the same flesh and blood, the same desire to love and be loved. These are the important things. With this understanding, we can all make this world heaven for us all. Whether it be nature or God or just luck, we inhabit a planet which has enough for all to be happy. We have the knowledge now to responsibly use these resources for the benefit of all. It is only intelligent to do so.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I knew this would spark some interest. There are some great responses so far while others are completely missing the mark and showing unfounded contempt for what I believe. Yet for others can be looked at as a simple idea about what went on at the beginning of mankind. This is something nunya know anything about
because you like the rest of us have amnesia. Now the playing field has been leveled. So now say it with me, learn to form the words. It's really not that
hard. I .. do .. not .. know .. anything ... that ... happened ... as ... far ... as the .. possibility ... of a .. diety.. at the beginning .... of .. our ... history.. Everyone alltogether. Now sing it to the tune of Gilligans island.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join