It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The God of the gaps

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer
Your definition of heaven sure differs greatly from Jesus's definition. This, of course, calls into doubt all of your interpretations of Jesus' messages.

Evidence?

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Well I'm all caught up on stars now I have to read for awhile just woke from a slumber. I have some catching up to do, please continue guys. I can see there are alot of interesting posts so I'll be busy for a few.

Traditional

And they think me the fool.

Well there's just no damn way you will ever be called or even thought of as a fool by me. Just want to keep that clear as I'm sure you already have some idea of that.

Huh! I have to wonder if what I'm seeing thru the course of this thread so far, is'nt just reluctance. But absolute fear? Fear to admit that mankind might be minus his greatest asset, (if he exists of course ) God? I see a total need for a Creator so there would be no Cancer no Aids. While you in earthly ways want to play the finger pointing game with God. Any curse that befalls mankind isn't the fault of a Creator try to make sense with that hypothesis. I know you guys are smarter than all that.

edit on 10-1-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

So you're a theist agnostic. Personally, I'm an atheist agnostic. I lack belief of a 'god', but then again, I know we can't be sure about it. I tell people I'm either agnostic or atheist, depending on whom I speak to.

I think a large percentage of people that claim to be "Atheist" or "Agnostic" are more in the middle and don't fit the "I know there isn't a god" label. It's not black and white. A lot of Atheists are intelligent, and with that comes the knowledge that you don't know everything there is to know.

I gave you a star for your image, good stuff.

freethinker.co.uk...
edit on 10-1-2011 by jessejamesxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

You only need some Amanita muscaria to talk to god, but don't tell anyone; it's a secret.....

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
Huh! I have to wonder if what I'm seeing thru the course of this thread so far, is'nt just reluctance. But absolute fear? Fear to admit that mankind might be minus his greatest asset, (if he exists of course ) God? I see a total need for a Creator so there would be no Cancer no Aids. While you in earthly ways want to play the finger pointing game with God. Any curse that befalls mankind isn't the fault of a Creator try to make sense with that hypothesis. I know you guys are smarter than all that.

But, there is a creator and yet we still have Cancer and Aids.

Why?

I do not see these diseases as a curse, but as a benefit to mankind. They present an opportunity to focus our attention on the sufferers of these diseases and find cures. In finding the cures we will learn even greater things about our existence. The reason we have not found these cures yet is because our scientific efforts are in the pursuit of the idol, money. As it is not profitable to cure, the cure is a lessor pursuit.

If we drove our scientific pursuit by the natural desire to love and care for one another, we would find a cure.

A good story of this fact is Lorenzo's Oil.

If we all loved each other and worked together like a family despite our various beliefs, there is nothing Mankind cannot overcome. It is our destiny.

Look UP!

We have one helluva back yard to play in! God is Great! Everything is Great!

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAMIAM
Bringing up Noahs ark is irrelevant to the conversation you and I are having. I do not see the story as literal, but as a flowerful tale of an actual event which science now confirms is highly likely to have happened with the thawing of the polar caps after the last ice age.

Many tribes around the world have the flood tale in their mythos, and it is equally flowery. This is how tales are remembered and passed down through history. They are exagerated so people want to remember them. What was on the evening news last week? The dull everyday stories you can't even remember. Yet if I asked about the History of the Spartans, most will recount how 300 stood against Millions!

Exaggeration was a necessity before written records and even after since the population could not read. Now, not so much, maybe.

With Love,

Your Brother

But that's exactly what I mean with god of the gaps! People have no clue about something like the flood, because science made it clear it never happened (contrary to what you claim) and even if all ice would melt, it wouldn't cover the whole planet as claimed in the bible (which makes the bible WRONG), yet they continue to spread that story of a LOCAL flood that was exaggerated as a global flood to everyone and his dog.

There's so many things in the bible that have been debunked, it always baffles me that people still follow it in the 21st century. If they just took it as a philosophical guide, that wouldn't be a problem. But they take it literally, which is sad given that we live in the 21st century and so many parts of the bible have been debunked or deemed horrible.
edit on 10-1-2011 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

There is no God of the Gaps because there are no gaps. We just do not yet have the sight to see what fills all the gaps, but we are learning.

Theologists and Scientists are one in the same with one great difference. Theologists stop searching because they have found comfort in what they know. Scientists keep searching because they haven't found comfort in what they know. Both are seeing God in their pursuits, one thinks he has seen him all, the other thinks he hasn't seen him at all.

Silly really.

This is an infinite existence. The wonders God has given us are far beyond measure and the scope of any theologian or scientist. If both learned to love the quest for knowledge and their fellow man, both would be happy and fulfilling the commandments of God in all faiths. Then we would find peace.

With Love,

Your Brother
edit on 10-1-2011 by IAMIAM because: (no reason given)

Well said even though for me I'm not at all comfortable with what I know of God. I'm desperate for more and even look to science to not count him out. Thus you have my goal. Just don't count God out. What an adventure there may be in trying to prove God exists scientifically. My goal is just that simple appeal. I can just about rest my case right there . Bah hum bug, or show the natural curiosity that science is supposed to have.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ
But that's exactly what I mean with god of the gaps! People have no clue about something like the flood, because science made it clear it never happened (contrary to what you claim) and even if all ice would melt, it wouldn't cover the whole planet as claimed in the bible (which makes the bible WRONG), yet they continue to spread that story of a LOCAL flood that was exaggerated as a global flood to everyone and his dog.

There's so many things in the bible that have been debunked, it always baffles me that people still follow it in the 21st century. If they just took it as a philosophical guide, that wouldn't be a problem. But they take it literally, which is sad given that we live in the 21st century and so many parts of the bible have been debunked or deemed horrible.

My friend, if we did not have TV, if we did not have the means to travel that we do now, if you did not know of the world as you know it now, and YOU lived in a certain part of Australia, YOU would be recording your own Great Flood tale!

I never said the flood covered the whole world. The Bible says it did, but that was the whole world that the person who told about it knew. Remember, at one time some thought the world was flat.

There was a great flood that occured in various parts of the world. It did not encompass the WHOLE world, but it did flood the coastal areas quite dramatically. Thos living in those areas had their whole world flooded.

"If these hun­dreds of flood myths from different locations and cultures around the world are any indication, something must have happened on Earth to spur these accounts. Could there have been a global flood? Scientists have a few theories to suggest that yes, perhaps, there was. "

Was there a great flood?

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

Why?

Because the wages of sin is death. That is the result as a law of the universe that we were warned about. Cancer and aids are not an opportunity . They amount to death. How is a creator responsible for death. It dosn't make sense that way. He warned us of the law of the universe that he put into his creation as a failsafe. Makes perfect wonderful sense to me.

Right down the line.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Why?

Because the wages of sin is death. That is the result as a law of the universe that we were warned about. Cancer and aids are not an opportunity . They amount to death. How is a creator responsible for death. It dosn't make sense that way. He warned us of the law of the universe that he put into his creation as a failsafe. Makes perfect wonderful sense to me.

Right down the line.

What is Sin?

Life leads to death, cancer and aids is just one method we can overcome. Even now we are on the verge of unlocking the mystery of death, and ending it. There are phenomenal breakthroughs in biology that are gonna redefine life as we know it. We are there. The trick is getting people to let go of the things that divide us and learn to love and care for one another. Soon, very soon, death itself will be a thing of the past.

So, what is Sin?

Doing that which harms another.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

This is one of the main issues I have with the bible. A great many people take it literally. They claim the world is only 10k years old, or that the flood literally happened, or that some guy survived in a whale, or that there really was a talking snake and humans came to this world in their current form. We know all of it is complete hogwash which at best would make for a funny comedy...and we even know why the people during those times made up those stories. They didn't have all the answers, so they made stuff up. Not all of that stuff is bad, but it should be obvious why taking stuff literally that was written by goat herders 2000+ years ago is foolish.

I mean, we have people (who are just bat# insane) who claim microchips are the "mark of the beast" or that gays are evil and an abomination solely based on their idiotic interpretation of a 2000 year old text. A text written by people who didn't have 1% of the knowledge we have today.

It's the same as people stating Newton was a creationist and didn't believe in evolution. Well...when Newton was alive, Darwin hadn't formulated his theory yet, and we didn't have all the DNA evidence we have now. Yet there's still fools who continue to claim man came to earth in his current form...it's really quite sad.

I have no issue with religion, as long as they don't blatantly ignore scientific facts. I actually like the Dalai Lama's thoughts on it. When he was asked what to do when a scientific discovery contradicts religious doctrine, he seemed almost surprised and said that reality (aka the scientific discovery) should never be ignored in favor of old doctrines. This allows for progress and is the very reason why Buddhism probably gets along with science best. They don't ignore facts and reality like some Judeo-Christian religions...at least not to the same extent.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by nakiel

I'm looking for meaning to your post and I keep coming up with somekind of a hallucinogen. Never heard of muscaria but I'm willing to learn.

IamIam
This is where we differ bigtime. You believe your own man made doctrine. I believe first that if there is an almighty, (no question for me ) then he is certainly capable of a communication to us. The closest thing that qualifies is the bible. So I have to believe in his word as a matter of order. Like I said right down the line.
There is order to what I believe in a sort of lineal procedure. You can choose not to see it. But I do see it. Nothing will change that.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

I do not believe the Bible has all the answers my friend. I believe that the Bible had all the answers for a time. We should never be close minded to new ideas about our existence. Nor should we dishonor the parent traditions that brought us this far. The Bible is the parent tradition to many fields of science. Paganism is the Parent tradition that lead to the Bible. Animism is the parent tradition that lead to Paganism. It is an endless progression through time. Honor thy mother and father, this includes schools of thought that lead to the new and improved schools of thought. Know them for what they are, steps in our journey. But, realise that what you know today and hold sacred, may be dramatically altered tomorrow.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

IamIam
This is where we differ bigtime. You believe your own man made doctrine.

All doctrines are man made my friend.

I believe first that if there is an almighty, (no question for me ) then he is certainly capable of a communication to us.

Absolutely! Which is why I have every right to listen to him and make my own doctrine. It just so happens that the doctrines of Christ are perfect for me. Not because of superstition, but because they make sense with logic and reason.

The closest thing that qualifies is the bible. So I have to believe in his word as a matter of order. Like I said right down the line.

What about your own God given logic and reason? The Bible has many truths within it. The Truths Christ taught are the Whole truth. You do not need a book to figure it out. It is so simple a child could understand it.

Love one another.

There is order to what I believe in a sort of lineal procedure. You can choose not to see it. But I do see it. Nothing will change that.

I am sure you do see it my friend. Just as I cannot step into your mind and see what you see, you cannot step into mine. The kingdom of God is within you. What your kingdom is, may be different than my kingdom, for God is infinite. Thus, all we can do is...

Love one another.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

This is one of the main issues I have with the bible. A great many people take it literally. They claim the world is only 10k years old, or that the flood literally happened, or that some guy survived in a whale, or that there really was a talking snake and humans came to this world in their current form. We know all of it is complete hogwash which at best would make for a funny comedy...and we even know why the people during those times made up those stories. They didn't have all the answers, so they made stuff up. Not all of that stuff is bad, but it should be obvious why taking stuff literally that was written by goat herders 2000+ years ago is foolish.

I think it's ironic that so many great ancient civilizations on earth have so much to do with serpants. Yet you can mock the Bibles account of this phenomena. You may need to rethink your stance on that one at least.

IamIam

Love one another.

That certainly is a bingo isn't it.

I have to stop for awhile guys been getting headaches as of late. I think I need a bigger screen. Please carry on this most interesting.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

reply to post by nakiel

"willing to learn..."

Start here

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

I think it's ironic that so many great ancient civilizations on earth have so much to do with serpants. Yet you can mock the Bibles account of this phenomena. You may need to rethink your stance on that one at least.

Most theologians do not take the talking snake literally. It is a symbol, in this case, of the lowliest beast on earth. So lowly it crawled on its belly. When Adam and Eve disobeyed Gods will, they did so at the urging of their lowest beastial desires. Furthermore, they did not accept the blame for their indiscretions, they blamed the serpent, the lowliest beast.

To this day this is what man does when he does something wrong. He shifts blame to something else. We still follow our lowliest beastial desires, what ever is good for ourselves.

We have to accept the blame sooner or later. It isn't the serpents fault, we all have logic and reason to do what is good for us all.

In other cultures the serpent is regarded quite differently.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Most theologians do not take the talking snake literally. It is a symbol, in this case, of the lowliest beast on earth. So lowly it crawled on its belly. When Adam and Eve disobeyed Gods will, they did so at the urging of their lowest beastial desires. Furthermore, they did not accept the blame for their indiscretions, they blamed the serpent, the lowliest beast.

To this day this is what man does when he does something wrong. He shifts blame to something else. We still follow our lowliest beastial desires, what ever is good for ourselves.

We have to accept the blame sooner or later. It isn't the serpents fault, we all have logic and reason to do what is good for us all.

In other cultures the serpent is regarded quite differently.

With Love,

Your Brother

That makes great sense. still fits for me as well . I think I like it.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Nakiel
Seems to just be a simple matter of what you truly believe. Calls for back peddling. Really presents no reason to question what I believe already.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer
Your definition of heaven sure differs greatly from Jesus's definition. This, of course, calls into doubt all of your interpretations of Jesus' messages.

Evidence?

With Love,

Your Brother

I'd recommend Googling "what did Jesus say about heaven" and compare the results to your own claims about heaven. I think you'll notice the differences are apparent...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join