It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Metformin (GlucoPhage) Cancer and the FDA.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Lebowski achiever Sorry I lost my first message so will try to repeat it.

Having a cold virus in your lungs may be good against lung tumors as discovered by Oncolytics Biotech with their reovirus development. Let's hope their treatment gets FDA approval sooner than later. We need it now. A similar virus treatment for cancer has been developed in China called Gendicene. It was developed in the USA by a Chinese doctor who then took it to China because their approval system works a lot faster than ours. People are now becoming medical tourists to get this treatment in China as a last resort when everything else has failed to cure them. As for determining if you are P53 deficient my sister needs the same information so I will try to find out how one gets tested for that and let you know. Hope you feel better soon.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
100mg 2x daily. I am sorry it has taken me a while to get back to you, but you are in my thoughts and prayers. I did tell Grandpa about your findings and he is also feeling like it has helped him in more ways than what it was supposed to help him with.

Off I go, but wanted to get that info back to you.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Lebowski achiever

You are taking K2 with that right? Also your B-complex, but I figure you already know that. Be SURE and keep LOTS of steam going in your home in the winter, especially if you are feeling upper respiratory symptoms.

Keep several pots on the stove, keep it humid keep it moist moist moist. Not just a vaporizer ok?

Stay HYdrated.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Thanks for the tip! I am not sure what K2 is so I don't think I'm taking it. I think the vit D is working as the cold is present but it isn't as bad as I had expected. It is very manageable. The pain is more pronounced, though, so I have been taking Oxycontin to manage it but it has been a real downer. Maybe it's because of the cold so I hope it will pass.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
mTOR expression(mammalian target of rapamycin or mechanistic target of rapamycin), for one type of lung cancer, adenocarcinoma, might prolong survival a bit for early stages. Yours is not early, but can help your research.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19509151

fulltext is free, clincancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/15/12/4157.long

Clin Cancer Res. 2009 Jun 15;15(12):4157-64. Epub 2009 Jun 9.
High expression of mammalian target of rapamycin is associated with better outcome for patients with early stage lung adenocarcinoma.

Anagnostou VK, Bepler G, Syrigos KN, Tanoue L, Gettinger S, Homer RJ, Boffa D, Detterbeck F, Rimm DL.

Department of Pathology, Section of Medical Oncology, Yale Cancer Center, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520-8023, USA.
Abstract

PURPOSE: Mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) is a key kinase downstream of phosphoinositide 3-kinase (PI3K)/AKT predominantly involved in translational control in the presence of nutrients and energy. Despite the well known role of mTOR in carcinogenesis, its prognostic potential in lung cancer has not been investigated. Here, we quantitatively assessed mTOR protein expression in two large data sets to investigate the impact of mTOR expression on patient survival.

EXPERIMENTAL DESIGN: Automated quantitative analysis (AQUA), a fluorescent-based method for analysis of in situ protein expression, was used to assess mTOR expression in a training cohort of 167 lung cancer patients. An independent cohort of 235 lung cancer patients (from a second institution) was used for validation.

RESULTS: Tumors expressed mTOR in the cytoplasm in 56% and 50% of the cases in training and validation cohorts, respectively; mTOR expression was not associated with standard clinical or pathologic characteristics. Patients with high mTOR expression had a longer median overall survival compared with the low expressers (52.7 versus 38.5 months; log rank P = 0.06), which was more prominent in the adenocarcinoma group (55.7 versus 38.88 months; log rank P = 0.018). Multivariate analysis revealed an independent lower risk of death for adenocarcinoma and adenocarcinoma stage IA patients with mTOR-expressing tumors (hazard ratio, 0.48; 95% confidence interval, 0.24-0.98; P = 0.04, and hazard ratio, 0.12; 95% confidence interval, 0.03-0.72; P = 0.019, respectively).

CONCLUSIONS: mTOR expression defines a subgroup of patients with a favorable outcome and may be useful for prognostic stratification of lung adenocarcinoma patients as well as incorporation of mTOR into clinical decisions.

PMID: 19509151 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]Free Article

edit on 31-1-2011 by jjjtir because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

True... I also don't have lung cancer. Mine are Metastases in the lungs. I will know in a few weeks if this has had any effect and I will definitely keep you posted.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
I have been to the oncologist today and besides being prescribed more painkillers, I have an appointment to have a CT scan to see where I'm at. I will probably go for Chemo at the end of the month. I know I am not steadfast but this disease really gives you a lot to think about and as I have bad days, very bad days and not bad days, it varies. Today is not a great day so I am more inclined to go for the Chemo. I will make the decision after I see the results of the CT scan. Besides, there is also likely that the combination of metformin and the Chemo make it more effective a treatment. I can but try.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Lebowski achieverBest of luck with your chemo treatment if you choose to try it.

My sister just went through several months of chemo hoping for the best but her results were not impressive. The chemo chosen by her oncologist did not work on her cancer cells. The problem is that oncologists can only guess which chemo may work best for your individual biology, but they don't know for certain until you have gone through several months of unpleasant side effects and possible organ damage. It is usually just trial and error. However in trying to help her decide which chemo to choose next out of several she was offered I ran across a clinic which actually tests your live cancer cells with different chemo agents to see which one or combination is most effective against your individual cancer. They claim to have achieved excellent results even with seemingly hopeless cases Sounds very logical, why isn't this standard practice? Check out their presentation at www.rationaltherapeutics.com Does anyone out there have any experience with these folks? They were recommended by a contributor on the INSPIRE cancer forums web site. It is a good wbsite for reading about cancer patients' experiences.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by cureseeker

That sounds very impressive. I am not sure that they do that here, but I would definitely bring it up next time I am speaking the oncologist. I hate to think that I am going to start this Chemo and find that it just isn't effective at all. Chances are that it won't be but if they have a test that can find out if will be or not, than why not make it standard practice? Weird.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lebowski achiever
reply to post by KatieVA

Thanks Katie. Appreciate it. But I would like to say. I didn't make this thread for sympathy! I get that enough already and am sick of it haha.

Good luck mate. I was diagnosed with a terminal brain tumor in 2007. I am also using a substance unbeknown to my oncologist, which i believe has given me a lot more time. When the chips are down sometimes you have to throw caution to the wind.

All the best.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

What are you using, if you would be so kind to share it with me? I would love to know. Good luck to you as well!

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lebowski achiever
reply to post by woodwardjnr

What are you using, if you would be so kind to share it with me? I would love to know. Good luck to you as well!

what Im using is a herb that is against T&C, but I believe it has had an effect. There have been studies that support its effectiveness.

www.webmd.com...

although I would never recommend anyone taking this method because it is against the law and possibly more dangerous to your mental health.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
I have had some very bad days along side some very good days. I am completely kept alive by pills it seems like. I have had the CT scan and unfortunately the tumors have grown and two more were found but none in other organs, just the lungs and the pelvic area. I start Chemo in two weeks.

For now the conclusion is, for me the Metformin is not really working. It may for others though. I will keep you posted.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   

I am not sure if I wrote about this before, but, just in case: when my mom was diagnosed with lung cancer and entered chemo, radiation at the same time, her body was weak, she was nauseated most of the time, eating had become a chore for her as the radiation took it's toll. I even suggested she try smoking weed to gain her appetite back, while looking for answers I came across an article, don't remember who what or where, but it was about juicing and the benefits to cancer patients. Mom's tumor wasn't shrinking at all, and she was ready to try anything, so we bought a juicer, and began a 3 time a day regimen in which we juiced together, 2 carrots, 1 apple and a handful of parsley. You are supposed to drink it down within 30 seconds of completion of juicing it or you lose a critical benefit from the formula. 3 weeks after starting it, her tumor shrank. It kept shrinking. It all but dissappeared over the next month. She felt great, she felt like she was healing. She kept up the juicing for 4 years, tumor and treatment free. My younger sister had decided to move my mother in with her, and her children, citing it would be beneficial to have more folks around to keep an eye on her. They stopped the juicing, mom didn't know where they had put it, and no one could find it, instead of finding it or going and getting another one, they stopped it. In one month, my mother died. The cancer metasasized to her brain. Now I know the timing could just be coincidence, but I don't think so. I don't know if the juicing worked, or if it was because she believed with all her being that it would work, but I know it did something to change her quality of life, and give her a few more years to be here with us. I am wishing you the best of care and longevity, try this juicing recipe for a month and see what results you get, it can't hurt and like my mother, it could help.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

Well it certainly wouldn't hurt if it doesn't, now would it. I hardly eat at all at the moment. I don't fancy food at all so maybe it is something worth looking into.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Hi! I was bored this weekend and browsed netflix and found a documentary called "Food Matters" that actually shows promising research in regards to cancer, high doses of vitamin c, and how raw fruit and vegetable diets can cure cancers. It actually shows the results of this diet with skin melanoma tumors and non-hodgkins lymphoma tumors. Maybe you should take a look at it and see what you think. I wish you the best and good luck fighting your cancer!

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

I'm not sure how much this will help with your search, however, I had explained in a different thread, found here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

that the FDA's "approval process" has several holes in it, including 2% of our current-day drug market consisting of drugs which were never approved but continue to be distributed. I think the links provided may help you to unravel some of the mystery of the FDA and how/what it approves. Here's the important part I want you to see in the thread:

Actually, the FDA's "Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act" of 1938 simply required that a drug be considered safe. It wasn't until the Thalidomide tragedy that the "Drug Efficacy Amendment" was enacted in 1962. It was this act that required a drug's efficacy be proven. So, between 1938 and 1962, hundreds of drugs made it to market, bypassing the 1962 regulation. It is these drugs that are being pursued by the FDA's Unapproved Drugs Initiative.

Article about unapproved drugs:
www.usatoday.com...

List of laws changing FDA procedure:
en.wikipedia.org...

This is info on the 1962 amendment that the first link references:
en.wikipedia.org...

All my best to you in your search. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Peace

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a good friend of mine had cancer in the lung and hip and after alternative and conventional treatment 14 years down the road the doctors found no more cancer cells

is a cure possible from such an illness

YES IT IS ...

and YES YOU CAN ...

by the way he took seaweed "kelp" tablets to protect his thyroid gland from the radiation treatment

he also went to see a holistic healer .... practised meditation and changed to a healthy diet.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

HI

try megadose vitamin d and megadose intravenous vitamn c like that guy in Australia was cured of cancer.

subscribe to naturalnews.com for more info.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join