It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Metformin (GlucoPhage) Cancer and the FDA.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

You obviously have not read the thread. This drug has not been pushed by the FDA. It has been used for 50 years successfully for many ailments all over the world EXCEPT the USA. It was only approved in 1994 by the FDA. It is not under patent protection any more and in Europe can be bought for 5 Dollars. No pushing. Far from it.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
sorry dude I'm a multi-tab browser
and got confused if FDA is trying to block it might be a good thing

will refrain from further posting so as to not cause any more trouble

peace

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
reply to post by VneZonyDostupa

not pushing or selling anything just providing info into alternatives it's the OP's health, body and life

just trying to be helpful

spare me your righteous indignation

anything the FDA Pushes is not to be trusted

best of luck Lebowski achiever

This will be my last comment, as I don't want to derail the OP's thread anymore.

The FDA doesn't "push" anything. They don't sell anything, they don't set "drug of choice" guidelines, they don't set vaccine schedules, nor do they recommend which drug be used for cancer.

It might behoove you to learn a bit before posting nonsense.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
informahealthcare.com...

www.sciencedirect.com... n=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1600585946&_rerunOrigin=scholar.google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=4d108 c51b144a5c05c59de918dba8d02&searchtype=a

www.bmj.com...

onlinelibrary.wiley.com...(197607)38:1%3C534::AID-CNCR2820380177%3E3.0.CO;2-G/abstract

www.pnas.org...

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Just a some quick hits.
edit on 2011/1/8 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I'm a bit confused.

You say that glucose "feeds" cancer cells.

And you seem to be implying that Metformin can somehow help to "starve" cancer cells.

But, as I understand it, glucophage (Metformin) acts not only to reduce the amount of glucose produced by the liver (which would support your "cut off the food supply" thesis) but also increases the insulin sensitivity of the body's cells.

Increasing the insulin sensitivity of a cell makes that cell MORE receptive to absorbing glucose from the blood, not less. It is why metformin is so useful in treating Type II diabetes; it is very effective at reducing blood glucose levels (the amount of glucose left in the blood because it was not absorbed by the cells).

High blood glucose levels have been shown to contribute to many serious health risks, all of which plague diabetics.

Your propsed treatment regime would seem to actually encourage cancer cells to feed, rather than kill them off by starving them, by increasing thier sensitivity to insulin, and thus making them more capable of absorbing more of the glucose present in the blood.

And, given cancer cells' "ravenous appetite" for glucose, by making them more "hungry", and more capable of scavaging glucose from the blood, t seems to me that your therapy might actually contribute to the "starvation" of the rest of the body's cells...at a time when the body needs all the support it can get.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Some of your linkies are not working.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Bhadhidar

Hi Bhadhidar,

I'm certainly no expert. I don't make the claims: These are from medical studies. If you go and read all the sources I have provided it will become more clear.

Here is a snippet from another site;

Metformin assists in lowering blood sugar levels by stimulating the pancreas, the organ that creates insulin in the body. In type 1 diabetes, the pancreas has stopped producing insulin, so Metformin does not work for this type of diabetes. Metformin decreases the level of sugar available from the diet. When the blood sugar level is too low, the liver produces sugar to add to the bloodstream. When the blood sugar level is out of control, the liver loses its ability to sense the blood sugar levels and will pump sugar into the blood even when the sugar level is high. Metformin helps to suppress the production level of sugar by the liver. By lowering the blood sugar level, Metformin helps the body respond to its own insulin production. This promotes the burning of sugar, so the blood sugar level can stabilize at a normal level.

Read more: How Does Metformin Work? | eHow.com www.ehow.com...

I think, from my understanding, is that it works threefold. Glucophage actually stops absorption of glucose in the gut. It also makes cells more sensitive to Insulin, please see above. Then there is another factor. Metformin induces cell death in p53-deficient HCT116 cells under nutrient limitation. Quite a few cancers are P53 deficient.

Here is some more medical babble on it:

The biguanide metformin is the most widely used drug for treatment of type 2 diabetes (1, 2). The primary systemic effect of metformin is the lowering of blood glucose levels. The effects of metformin on blood glucose has been explained through reduced hepatic gluconeogenesis and increased glucose uptake in skeletal muscles (3, 4). Metformin treatment leads to activation of AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) in vitro and in vivo (5–7). [bT]he molecular mechanisms by which metformin leads to AMPK activation are poorly understood. Nevertheless, through activation of AMPK, metformin treatment decreases the expression of gluco- neogenic genes and increases fatty acid oxidation in hepatocytes (7–9). In addition, studies in mice lacking expression of LKB1 in the liver show that the glucose-lowering effect of metformin is dependent on the LKB1/AMPK pathway (10).
Metformin induces cell death in p53-deficient HCT116 cells under nutrient limitation.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bhadhidar

Increasing the insulin sensitivity of a cell makes that cell MORE receptive to absorbing glucose from the blood, not less. It is why metformin is so useful in treating Type II diabetes; it is very effective at reducing blood glucose levels (the amount of glucose left in the blood because it was not absorbed by the cells).

Only a small subset of cells express the receptor necessary to respond to insulin (such as those in the liver, skeletal muscle, and adipocytes). Most cancer cells do not have this receptor, so they rely on gradient-based glucose uptake (that is, they uptake a percentage of what passes in the blood stream, rather than actively altering glucose uptake on-the-fly).

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Metformin works by making the insulin receptors on muscles cells work better.

Metabolic syndrome is a condition where the receptors can not take in insulin and combine it with glucose to supply energy to the muscles.
When this happens the body stores the excess sugars by converting it to body fat.

This is why people with Metabolic syndrome don't lose weight on diets of 1000 calories a day.
more exercise does not help as the muscles are already starving and the injury rate goes up.

I have Metabolic syndrome and fibromyalgia and when i started metformin my muscle pain dropped by about a 1/3 the doctors don't believe me.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Are you in the US by any chance? I am also not telling my Doctor until after the fact. The care I receive is Palliative now anyway, so I feel I am only doing them a favour.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lebowski achiever
reply to post by wcitizen

Thanks for the tip. I am also eating a lot of Blackberries and can easily incorporate lemons. I will check out your blog too.

It's not my blog, actually, but I've been following this info for some time, and I've read many very encouraging reports about the use of lemons. I'm really glad you're willing to try it.

Peace and love to you, my friend.
edit on 8-1-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
You should check out a documentary called "The Beautiful Truth" and pay close attention to the portion dealing with the Gerson method of curing cancer. Basically organic veggie juice and coffee enimas. Hope this helps.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by belowcommonknowledge
You should check out a documentary called "The Beautiful Truth" and pay close attention to the portion dealing with the Gerson method of curing cancer. Basically organic veggie juice and coffee enimas. Hope this helps.

Gerson Therapy

More on Gerson Therapy

Even more on Gerson Therapy

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by belowcommonknowledge

Thanks. But again, I don't want to know about more therapies. All I want to know about is why the FDA hasn't approved this until 1994 and more stories of people who have used Metformin. Please keep this thread about the information I presented. Thank you.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Lebowski achiever

Not only another treament but shows some insight into the FDA 's drug approval "policy".

www.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by type0civ

Wow, that's the kind of info I wanted. Star for you!

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I wish I had something better to add, but this may be of interest to you.

Tumor cells thrive on sugar but they used the fructose to proliferate.
- Cancer cells slurp up fructose

The article is talking about pancreatic cancer, I do not know if the fructose effect is true of other cancer cells.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyTHSeed

Oh I believe it's true. As I said in my thread, the Doctors tell you how a PET Scan works: By injecting you with Glucose with a radioactive isotope, they can make the cancer light up because it eats up the glucose faster than normal cells. But if you ask them if you need to adjust your diet, they say no. "It doesn't really affect how your cancer progresses". I see. Maybe it''s true but I don't believe it.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I have just been to the oncologist and she believes it is best if I don't do Chemo right now as I am still feeling good. I will see her in a month but I will continue to take metformin during that time. She did give me some insight into glucose and cancer cells. She told me that cancer cells will get glucose no matter what. If there is no glucose in my system, they will get it from protein (ie muscle) and convert that into glucose. That is why cancer patients are so emaciated when they are full of cancer.

I will keep you posted if an miracles happen.
. I will also continue to find an answer to the questions I've posed and other metformin/cancer stories are also greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
edit on 10/1/11 by Lebowski achiever because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I know this is a little bit off topic, but If Metformin has these properties I would like to get back on it. I was originally prescribed it for my diabetes, but switched to glipizide because my stomache was not handling the metformin. Is there anyone here that had that problem and was able to get there tolerance up, I would like to get back on metformin after reading this.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join